PDA

View Full Version : How many houses on your street are for sale?

Davetronz
08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
I haven't been driving around the city much, but I'm wondering if there are this many listings in other neighborhoods...

As of this morning, there are 9 for sale signs on properties on my block in New Brighton (SE). Its not a big block by any means, so I'm starting to think people are moving out because of me :D

A majority of the listings are over 3 months old and the places have been on the market for a long time. I could see more and more people listing their houses for sale when they see their neighbors property sell, but when nothing seems to be moving, all they are doing is saturating the market...

Any similar experiences?

Canmorite
08-21-2008, 10:17 PM
There was one, and this is in Canmore. Took 2-3 months to sell.

The Cosworth
08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
6 last I counted. All 750,000 and up

In bridgeland, three overlook downtown and three are on the other side of the street. The three overlooking downtown have been for sale since the early spring. Not sure about the other ones.

I was in Hidden Valley and it was scary the number for sale... so was up in Renfrew

C4S
08-21-2008, 10:41 PM
:dunno: :dunno:

ZERO!! whole area .. whole phase .. around the whole block .. 2 streets across .. I see ZERO house for sale around .. :dunno:

broken_legs
08-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Take a drive through Killarney. Drive south from 17th ave down 35th street by the Mcdonalds.

I think some people are confused and have left the for sale signs up as lawn decorations... Seen one house for sale must be pushing 4-5 months by now. The other people that have taken them down aren't ever home and don't have any furniture in their houses or ever turn on their lights.

Or maybe its because no one wants to pay 800,000 dollars for half of an infill and no is living in them... but what do i know. haha

max_boost
08-22-2008, 12:34 AM
I think there are a couple for sale. Mostly older, character homes. I live in Crescent Heights.

Inner city in-fills are so expensive. No one in their right mind is going to pay that kind of price in this market!

There will always be a large market for homes priced in the $300-$400k range though. It's what most people can afford.

tm88
08-22-2008, 01:39 AM
im going to be listing a property in stanley park. Drive through that community and you will be lucky to find 3 in the whole area. Then you drive a few communities down (meadowlark) and there are 4 or 5 just along elbow let alone inside the community.

whodiman
08-22-2008, 07:51 AM
As we can see so far, the answer to this question really varies on the area. You can probably get a pretty good idea just by clicking on an area in MLS. If you click on areas like Coventry hills or Saddleridge you find a huge amount of listings. If you drive through those areas you won't be suprised. Of course some areas are just larger than areas and that may explain the number of listings too.

There is one house just over a block away from ours and 2 houses in a 3 block radius. There are about 30 houses for sale in our area but the listings seem pretty spread out. At the peak in July it got up to about 55.

cet
08-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Where I am there are 8. It's a brand new area so I think most of the people were trying to flip the houses and got caught.

gonefishing
08-22-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm in Monterey Park and on my block i see 3 for sale. My neighbors house was listed since the begining of summer but was just sold. That makes me uneasy since their house is comparable to mine and i thought it was fairly priced :(

Dirty_SOHC
08-22-2008, 08:37 AM
On my street in Bridlewood, there are no houses for sale...

em2ab
08-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Real estate purchases are down 13% from this time last year. Is there any surprise?

Destinova403
08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
im in Parkland... there are a couple houses... maybe 2 or 3 that iv seen around my neighbourhood

a house just down the street sold for pretty close to their asking price a couple days ago, but it was on the market for a while.

Masked Bandit
08-22-2008, 09:56 AM
I think if you are in an area that is still under new construction there are plenty for sale that were built on speculation and are sitting empty. There are only a couple for sale on our street now (Chaparral) but a couple of weeks ago there were six that I could see from my driveway with four of them being vacant. The house beside us has been empty and up for sale since Christmas!

hampstor
08-24-2008, 01:58 AM
The block I lived on in Taradale had 4 houses for sale including mine. 2 of the houses have been listed since the spring, 1 since the begining of the summer, mine was listed in early july and is now sold.

My new area (Kincora) there is 1 house for sale in my cul de sac, and it is for sale by the home builder.

Davetronz
08-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Its like an infectious disease in this neighborhood. The odd house is selling, but more houses seem to be renting (around $1500/mo + util).

Its a new neighborhood so I am assuming a lot of people bought houses hoping to flip them while the market was still high. :dunno:

turbotrip
08-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by C4S
:dunno: :dunno:

ZERO!! whole area .. whole phase .. around the whole block .. 2 streets across .. I see ZERO house for sale around .. :dunno:

:werd:

flipstah
08-25-2008, 01:24 AM
At Taradale, it's three near my house and a couple down the street.

I'm still wondering as to why people are selling. I thought the buying boom has cooled?

sputnik
08-25-2008, 07:43 AM
The houses on my street have been selling well. They are usually sold within 2-3 weeks.

I think Auburn Bay only has like 50+ houses for sale not including the show homes and spec-homes being sold by the builders.

tictactoe2004
08-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
The houses on my street have been selling well. They are usually sold within 2-3 weeks.

I think Auburn Bay only has like 50+ houses for sale not including the show homes and spec-homes being sold by the builders.

65 total properties for sale in auburn bay... most of them are stale and just sitting there not doing anything.. the only ones that are moving are moving simply because they are being priced right.. for example the 1800 square foot two story with a double car attached garage and a fully devoped basement was just sold... the asking price was $420,000 after being lowered a couple times..

I'm looking at moving to auburn bay myself, thats why i'm keeping any eye on the market in that one area... I'm just debating when to make the actual move. I like one house there a lot but it's about 50K over priced right now...

hampstor
08-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
At Taradale, it's three near my house and a couple down the street.

I'm still wondering as to why people are selling. I thought the buying boom has cooled?

I moved out of Taradale because of the constant shootings/stabbings (in and around Taradale), coming home to cops combing the curbs/gutters for shell casings and being between 2 neighbors who went at it with each other.

Eventually, I figured my house would depreciate because of those things :angel:

flipstah
08-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

I moved out of Taradale because of the constant shootings/stabbings (in and around Taradale), coming home to cops combing the curbs/gutters for shell casings and being between 2 neighbors who went at it with each other.

Eventually, I figured my house would depreciate because of those things :angel:

Really? It doesn't seem bad around my part. Where in Taradale did you live? I live on Taradale near the border of Tarington Woods and so far, no problems.

dino_martini
08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
None on my street, but 7 houses for sale in my area.