PDA

View Full Version : Is the NSX for me?

Pages : [1] 2

max_boost
08-22-2008, 02:07 AM
I really don't know to be honest. There are only two cars I want right now, NSX and something else I won't mention yet cause they are on complete different ends of the spectrum.

Never driven one, never sat in one. I've read a bunch of reviews, you know, same old shit. 290hp, underpowered but amazing handling characteristics, not a lot of changes through the years. Love the updated 02+ looks. I'm fine with the typical boring Honda interior, doesn't bother me. In short, the fan boy in me has always wanted one to blast around in. My gf says I'm out of my mind. I'm itching to do it up.

Can I live with this car just 6-7 months of the year? Is it comfortable to drive around in? I value comfort a lot. I don't want to hurt myself on drives longer than 30 mins where it's a PITA to get in and out of the car. I've owned a few Honda's, Prelude SH, RSX-S, Civic Si, S2K.

Can I compare it to any of the above? haha

Can't call it a super car cause it isn't really super anymore but everything considered, including cheap cheap Honda maintenance, I think this just might be the next car for me?!?!?!

Zephyr
08-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Maybe you should drive one first, maybe that will feed your need

88CRX
08-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Yes..... yes the NSX is for you!

Do it!

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Coilovers, wheels, Supercharger.... in that order... car would be awesome.. love those things, you wont regret it.

AllGoNoShow
08-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Kulu has a green one that is Comptech Supercharged. Check it out and take it for a spin.

analbumcover
08-22-2008, 10:30 AM
MAX!!

You've been toying with an NSX for so long and you havent driven one yet?

GET TO IT BUDDY!

C4S
08-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Trust me .. after you own the SLK .. you wont' like the NSX...

I always always want a NSX as well, even back to 15 yr ago ..

However, everytime .. after I test drove it .. NO ..

It is still a not bad looking car, still rare .. but still not cheap, a good NSX, say early 90s' people still want $30K, and if you want one from late 90's NSX T with 6 speed, people still want $50K for it ...

It is just a bit slow, and it is aged, even handling and braking are not that good .. (hey, 18 yr old design car) even a 3 series or a base boxster are faster and nicer ..

He he .. or you buy one .. drive for a little while .. then when you dont like it .. sell it to me .. :D

You buy NSX .. one reason, you like NSX, and you want one as collection.

If you are going to keep your SLK, and buy a NSX for fun, then it is a different story.

And yes, NSX is very comfort .. just make sure you can find a good stock one, lots of NSX for sale, are crashed before, (that is why, lots of them with body kit on) and lots of them have modd engine, suspension, big wheel etc, as stock car was a bit slow and soft.

I was so close to get one from Seattle last Sept, $22K US, low mile, and my friend was willing to help me .. but damn .. . just no time to go there back then .. not sure if the car is still not sold, but the hood/bumper and left fender were repainted, that scared me a little bit.

E36M3
08-22-2008, 10:40 AM
I've been an NSX fanboy forever too, I'd recommend not driving one.. it will ruin the fantasy.

If you are really serious about a semi-comfortable car with its characteristics, the S2000 is probably more car and far less expensive. The NSX is definitely showing its age, and as C4S pointed out, you will be hugely disappointed compared with the SLK55.

If you do drive one, I'd love to hear your impressions.. I'd probably try to find a stockish one to buy/test drive as you can still do whatever you want to it. With suspension "upgrades", etc. the ride will be pretty harsh, so it might not meet your needs as well as a stock one.

Having said that, the normal compromises you'd make for a car that looks as cool as an NSX are minimal.. it probably won't be any more of a pain in the ass than an S2000. Don't kid yourself about maintenance though, it is not a cheap car to keep.

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by E36M3
I've been an NSX fanboy forever too, I'd recommend not driving one.. it will ruin the fantasy.

If you are really serious about a semi-comfortable car with its characteristics, the S2000 is probably more car and far less expensive. The NSX is definitely showing its age, and as C4S pointed out, you will be hugely disappointed compared with the SLK55.

If you do drive one, I'd love to hear your impressions.. I'd probably try to find a stockish one to buy/test drive as you can still do whatever you want to it. With suspension "upgrades", etc. the ride will be pretty harsh, so it might not meet your needs as well as a stock one.

Having said that, the normal compromises you'd make for a car that looks as cool as an NSX are minimal.. it probably won't be any more of a pain in the ass than an S2000. Don't kid yourself about maintenance though, it is not a cheap car to keep.

:werd: maintenance on an NSX isnt like a normal Honda, once you mod them though they can totally destroy Ferraris, Ghinis, etc.. E36M3 agrees with me.

C4S
08-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah .. mod an NSX .. could make it a better car to drive ...

But I guess .. it lost the meaning of ownig an NSX ..

I love to have a clean 993 .. it isn't fast, it isn't great handling, and it is expensive on maintenance .. however, I would perfer a STOCK on then a "pimped" one .. :D

NSX .. I give a lots of repect on it, it was sad that 9 out of 10 NSX I have seen in town, are not neat stock condition, (or say not even in original paint) and somehow, there are WAY more NSX in the NE then the rest of the city .. weirdo? :dunno:

max_boost
08-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys. Good to see the OG's come out in this thread haha

I thought maintenance was just like any other Honda. Bring it in for oil change every 6000kms?

The main thing why I have always loved the NSX is, exotic car looks with the daily comforts of your typical Honda. But having never driven one, I could be so wrong haha

At one point, the S2000 was my dream car and after about 8 months of ownership, it just wasn't suitable for me. Maybe I should just steer clear of the whole NSX thing. Let it remain a dream. lol

Mitsu3000gt
08-22-2008, 11:41 AM
IMO a Porsche Carrera, S, or 4S would be a much nicer car. I've driven the Porsches and the NSX and the porsches are faster, have amazing handling, definitely one of the easiest of the "exotics" to live with day to day, etc. etc. The AWD system is excellent too if you want to drive it more than just in the summer - I believe it only adds 125lbs to the car's weight. If you buy used, buy 2003 or newer or 2006 or newer as that is when they made some significant changes to quality, reliability, and power. There are a million porsches for sale in the states for what many NSX's are going to run you. If you want to buy new, you get the new more powerful direct injection engines and their new dual clutch gearbox. The NSX was cool, but nothing about it blew me away - I much prefered the drive of the Porsches. As far as buying a NSX and modding it to be faster than lots of other stuff, you can do exactly that with pretty much any car. Anyways that's my suggestion/experience.

max_boost
08-22-2008, 11:43 AM
The SLK was driven 95% of the time by my gf anyway. She's looking to upgrade next spring so the NSX is for me only.

I've been looking at some of the 02's+ in the US and they are in the $50-$60K range. I'd do up an 02+ if I can find a really clean one at a good price. Just don't want it to shatter my dreams because it's not what I think it is. LOL

C4S
08-22-2008, 01:07 PM
You hvn't driven an NSX ?

go try one! then you will give up on buying one.

Eleanor
08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
:banghead: Stop making "should I buy this car" threads! :guns:

:angel:

ZorroAMG
08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Keep current cars, invest more (;)) then buy an F430 or its replacement.

:D

hks
08-22-2008, 01:31 PM
the nsx is underpowered, average in handling and not the most economical car in the world. the only thing that really sets it apart from other cars is its rarity and looks.

go test drive it and that'll probably change your mind about getting one. :nut:

btw, what's the other car you have in mind??

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I really like how the NSX drives, to be honest I'm not a fan of the diluted driving experience in todays modern vehicle. The Vtec is loud and pleasing to listen to, the steering is bang on and there is a ton of feedback from the road, even in stock trim. I know what it's like to drive a high hp v8 car everyday.. it's nice but it just isn't the same as a lesser powered, lighter japanese sports car.

RJMcMillan
08-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I'd say get one .....lots of fun and great reliablility.

Everyone has their favourite car brand and each have their +'s and -'s.

We have a meet every once in a while you should come out and take a look at some of the local ones and get the owners impressions. I'm sure someone would take you out for a drive.

Talk with Jim @ Option Import & Tire and he can fill you in on the normal maintenance costs. Not that bad for me so far...oil changes and tires. Mods can get addictive though and drain your pocket bock.

Also go to the Canadian section of www.nsxprime.com . Lots of good info.

If I had a bigger garage and more disposible $ I'd have a Audi R8 too. :)

TorqueDog
08-22-2008, 04:47 PM
The phrase "Never meet your heroes" comes to mind.

JAYMEZ
08-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Hmmmm you wont like it son!!! Upgrade and get a 911 Turbo!!

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Knowing Maxboost I dont think he would like the 911, it sounds odd but I prefer the feel of Honda transmissions over those in Porsches...

JAYMEZ
08-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Knowing Maxboost I dont think he would like the 911, it sounds odd but I prefer the feel of Honda transmissions over those in Porsches...

:eek: !!!!

lol , how dare you insult the Porsche lol

soobad
08-22-2008, 05:22 PM
I've driven lots of cars, porsches, viper, vettes, and I own 2 NSX's... (many others as well)

My (very) biased answer: NSX by far.

Don't be discouraged by people on here that don't really know what they are talking about insulting the car's performance... it is still an immensely fast car. Not only that, but the most important factor the DRIVING EXPERIENCE is there! (Not to mention the potential for more..)

It's certainly not a go kart like a Viper, and it's not tacky and common like a Vette, and it's not prissy and boring like a Porsche...

As for comfort, my girlfriend has rode in a 2004 Carrera 4 with me, and then a couple hours later an NSX... she said that she HATED the Porsche and it wasn't nearly as comfortable or fun. I would say that it was about just as fast, although the NSX you feel like you are going alot faster because of the "cockpit" feel and the mid-rear engine sound right behind you...

It's also great on gas (relatively), and it's just one of those cars that says "I know EXACTLY what I am doing." Not a little-girl-panty-remover car like a Viper.. but I seem to do alright :D And hey, Pulp Fiction.. :bigpimp:

If you are seriously considering buying an NSX, both of mine are up for sale right now -- if they are in your price-range, toss me an email and come drive one of them.

RJMcMillan
08-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Soobad,
You have a White/Black NSX? That is a pretty rare colour combo. I was looking for one like that a couple of years ago and finally gave up. Silverstone was my second choice. I've never seen you around town or at the meets. Do you keep them stored?

Graham_A_M
08-22-2008, 06:39 PM
No love for the Z4, Z4M Roadsters and coupes?
:(

Soobad. I'd love to take a rip in an SC NSX, the 02 or newer cars are absolutely gorgeous. :drool:

C4S
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Soobad. I'd love to take a rip in an SC NSX, the 02 or newer cars are absolutely gorgeous. :rolleyes:

I am here!! :thumbsup:

Back to late 90's .. when NSX was still a cool car .. I was again, so damn close to buy one ..

TWICE .. I bought the MZ3 .. ( one 99 and one 2000 ) :dunno:

Again .. it is personal .. that is why some people drive a civic .. some drive a camera .. some drive BMW .. some drive Ferrari ..

I still want an NSX myself, but I know if I get one, it will just be sitting on my driveway ... ( too bad, not type R here )

JAYMEZ
08-22-2008, 07:56 PM
^^ Im the same way.. I was so close to buying an NSX and picked the Supra instead , its a sweet car but I dunno... I know I wouldnt drive it that often if I did have it. I guess my priorities have changed in life and a 2 seater just doesnt do it anymore.

C4S
08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
I will take the NSX LOOK > Supra .. but like the drive of Supra>NSX

Good for original NSX owner .. car was $58K back then .. 18 yr ago .. and some people still asking $35K oe even $40K with super low km for a 91/92 .. :eek: :eek:

Um.. how about 348 then ? :dunno: much nicer looking .. better sound .. (not as easy to drive as NSX) but still a Ferrari, and just $20-25K more .. at least, people won't say you are driving a poor man Ferrari .. and they are much rarer then 360 :D

JAYMEZ
08-22-2008, 08:05 PM
^^ True , but maintance bills might be a pretty penny lol! But I guess we do have a Ferrari Dealership.

C4S
08-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Putting ~ less then 5K km a yr . . no matter what car .. won't cost that much .. anyway ...

No matter Ferrari/Lambo/AM/Porsche etc .. down to BMW/Benz .. or NSX.

If MBoost is talking about a daily driving .. then it is a different story .. NSX may not be a bad choice ..

VWEvo
08-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Common, tell us what the other car is

Graham_A_M
08-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by C4S

No matter Ferrari/Lambo/AM/Porsche etc .. down to BMW/Benz .. or NSX.

I'd put Porsche on the same level as BMW/Benz:dunno:

To group that in with Ferrari and Lamborghini is being quite generous, Their higher end offererings: absolutely, but their more everyday cars are direct competition for the other German offerings. :dunno:

4doorj
08-23-2008, 12:24 AM
hey sam!
you know what i think!
get the nsx:thumbsup:
i know there were a few that i showed u that you were considering.

Get a 02+ for sure.

The only thing stopping me is if a new nsx comes out. But who am I kidding, I would be able to afford a 200k sticker price(rough price)
:rofl:

Cody D
08-23-2008, 02:01 AM
I notice that the people on here who have owned one before are all telling you that it is an amazing car and that you should get one.

I owned mine for two years and I enjoyed it a lot. As far as ergonomics, I did a few 19+ hour drives and it was very comfortable. I enjoyed driving it, I liked looking at it and now that I don't have it, I miss it.

I don't know what else you're looking at, personally I've been looking at Vipers, 348's, Elises, 996 TT's and I may go back to an NSX. The guys who discount the car because it isn't a marque name you shouldn't even listen to, the guys that say it is underpowered are kind of right, it's a mid 13 second car which isn't fast, but it isn't slow if you know what I mean. The people who say it isn't cheap to maintain, well that depends, on mine I only had to change the clutch in the two years I owned it and that's with the car having close to 200,000 kms. However, when you do need to replace something they are fairly rare cars so don't expect cheap parts.

Edit: Now that I'm on a real computer I'd like to add my break down of the above mentioned cars.

Dodge Viper: I've only drove the newer one (SRT-10), and I'd like to buy a Gen 2 GTS if I go that direction so I don't know how it drives, but where I moved from they are common which for some reason bugs me, around here they are fairly common, not Vette common, but not rare. I think it would be a blast to own and this is at the top of my list.

Ferrari 348: I have a friend who owns a F355 and if I bought a 348 every time I saw his car it would be a kick in the balls, the 348 is just so inferior to the 355 it hurts, you can change the door panels and the rear tail light section to the 355 style ones, but then you just have a Poseur 355. The sound would be amazing though, and you can say you own a Ferrari if that's your thing. There are actually lots of local places that can work on it, but parts won't be cheap.

Lotus Elise: This is kind of like the 348, where if I got one of these, every time I saw an Exige it would be a kick in the groin. I've never drove one, but I can imagine it would be fun, except the anemic power, to me this is just a less comfortable, less good looking, less reliable NSX. I'm sure there are a lot of things it does much, much better than the NSX, I'll leave that to the people who have driven both. One thing I like about the Elise is that it is rare, you won't see too many of these around.

Porsche 996 TT: This has been one of the cars that I keep coming back to because I love Porsche, my current 911 is fun to drive, the AWD makes it great in the winter, and a water cooled, turbocharged version of it could only be better. The problem I have with this car is they are so damn common in Calgary, I really think there are more 996's than Corvettes driving around. This car is the best all around car on my list by far.

Finally...
Acura NSX: I loved my first one, if I got another one it would be a targa, adding open top would be great. But the power isn't really there, and it's very hard to get them to sound good in my opinion, that was actually one of the big reasons I sold mine was the sound, it just wasn't there, I never noticed it until I bought my Porsche which I love the sound of. It'll definitely never sound as good as a Ferrari or an air cooled 911.

Sorry for the long post, but I can't sleep, haha.

95EagleAWD
08-23-2008, 12:12 PM
"Never meet your heroes"?

I did, and it was a great two and a half years.

Pick one up; it's not like an NA1 is super expensive these days, and they are great to drive, regardless of what people are saying. I ran a 13.7 @ 101 here in Edmonton in my stock one, so there not terrible slow either. They look great, sound great and handle fantastic.

max_boost
08-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all the comments on the pros and cons. Much appreciated.

Now finding a NA2 to test drive is the hard part. :burnout:

Redlyne_mr2
08-23-2008, 05:55 PM
A guy in my building has one
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/Redlyne/IMG_0024-1.jpg

rage2
08-23-2008, 06:10 PM
My biggest problem with the NSX is that people are asking crack money for the car today. For the same money, you have so many cars to choose from that will give you a more enjoyable day to day driving experience. Makes no sense to spend that much money on one.

I've driven tons of NSX's over the years, even took care of one for a month, so I used it as my daily driver. It's such a novelty car, tons of fun for a day or 2, and that's it. From there it just becomes kinda bland. I don't crave to drive the car everyday like some of the cars that I've owned/driven.

As for Porsches, I haven't been a big Porsche fan since the 993. They've become kinda bland, and I find it boring to drive after a while too. Maybe I've driven one too many C4's haha. It's almost like the NSX syndrome... it's a great car on paper, just a bit bland in execution.

max_boost
08-23-2008, 08:29 PM
^^^

Looking in the U.S, cheapest 02 is $45K, next one is an 04 at $52K, the rest are in the $60K's. They aren't cheap by any means.

The Canadian ones are over $70K lol

My budget is around $70K. I really don't want to spend anymore than that.

Like SilverRex :D haha I have considered the C63, IS-F, 335, M3 etc. Haven't driven the C63, but the rest we have.

335 is the best price and payment wise (lease). C63 and IS-F are basically tied but MB edges out the Lex in bling factor no doubt. M3 is just a rip off imo I don't see how it's $15K better than the Lex and MB.

This NSX could be just a fan boy thing I don't know. Worse case scenario, I drive it, I don't like it, don't buy it. Or buy it and sell it later on? buyers remorse? lol 4doorj or C4S will take it off my hands haha

I want the C63. Gf wants the IS-F. Both have immediate allocations for this winter. :banghead: Still a crazy chance we might sell our current cars and end up with both of those 400hp sedans or remain complete status quo and do nothing.

It's a good position to be in so don't get me wrong. I just love cars so much and get bored of them easily so always looking to switch it up. A lot of members can relate :D

rage2
08-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
My budget is around $70K. I really don't want to spend anymore than that.
If you spent $70k on an NSX, you're gonna punch yourself in the nuts after a week for not listening haha. You're gonna keep telling yourself "that's it???" lol.

Like SilverRex :D haha I have considered the C63, IS-F, 335, M3 etc. Haven't driven the C63, but the rest we have.
All of those cars will give you way more enjoyment than an NSX. Plus u get a warranty! That's my opinion.

This NSX could be just a fan boy thing I don't know.
I was the biggest NSX fanboy back in the day when there was no way I could afford one. I was a huge Senna/McLaren-Honda fan, I collected so much NSX books, memorabillia which still sits in my parent's basement lol. I was lucky enough to be able to try a few out. Since I've been able to afford one, I have no desire to own one.

Worse case scenario, I drive it, I don't like it, don't buy it. Or buy it and sell it later on? buyers remorse?
Well the good thing is, they have great residual (early 90's NSX sell for early 90's MSRP prices still lol). Just be prepared to hold on to the car for a LONG time. Only NSX fanboys buy NSX's haha.

JAYMEZ
08-23-2008, 08:47 PM
The Dai Lo has spoken... End of discussion LOL

Originally posted by rage2

If you spent $70k on an NSX, you're gonna punch yourself in the nuts after a week for not listening haha. You're gonna keep telling yourself "that's it???" lol.

All of those cars will give you way more enjoyment than an NSX. Plus u get a warranty! That's my opinion.

I was the biggest NSX fanboy back in the day when there was no way I could afford one. I was a huge Senna/McLaren-Honda fan, I collected so much NSX books, memorabillia which still sits in my parent's basement lol. I was lucky enough to be able to try a few out. Since I've been able to afford one, I have no desire to own one.

Well the good thing is, they have great residual (early 90's NSX sell for early 90's MSRP prices still lol). Just be prepared to hold on to the car for a LONG time. Only NSX fanboys buy NSX's haha.

tabouli
08-23-2008, 08:53 PM
The NSX is great, as long as it's someone else's. :)

rage2
08-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by tabouli
The NSX is great, as long as it's someone else's. :)
haha ya, that sums it up :thumbsup:.

max_boost
08-23-2008, 09:20 PM
The NSX is like the super hot chick that everyone wanted to bang forever but was always out of your league. Now she's kind of played out but you still want to hit it no matter what others say. Yeah I get the drift!! :rofl:

E36M3
08-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Close.. it is the super hot chick from high school who now doesn't look as hot as the new models and is just as expensive.. and in the meantime she has lost the battle of time and gained 25 lbs.

It is fun to bang a super hot chick from high school just to satisfy your fantasies, but waking up next to a wrinkled up, high maintenance bitch is a hassle and you can't wait to get rid of her.

The NSX is like the super hot chick that everyone wanted to bang forever but was always out of your league. Now she's kind of played out but you still want to hit it no matter what others say. Yeah I get the drift!! :rofl:

C4S
08-23-2008, 09:48 PM
If buying an NSX .. better spend ~ $30K on a early 90's .. spending $70K on a 00 plus? na .. since you just want the look of it ..
5.3 sec for the latest/greatest one vs 5.7sec for early .. isn't a heack of a diff, why spend $30K plus for it?

It doesn't make sense to sell your SLK for $60K, and then spend more for a NSX. (unless you are a collector)

Again, if you like it, and you think it worths .. then do it .. we are more then happy to see this thread next:

"how much should I sell my NSX for?" :rofl:

mark4091
08-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I agree with every thing that's been said, great looks, but not as good performance wise as newer cars.

Cody D
08-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Just be prepared to hold on to the car for a LONG time. Only NSX fanboys buy NSX's haha.

I sold mine in 3 days and Ryan sold his in a week I believe, but ours were low price examples.

I'm curious to know what else besides the M3 that you currently own you consider a fun car?

civic_rida
08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
What you think of a rs4 or s5?

E36M3
08-24-2008, 03:09 AM
Both are very good performers but super boring.

Originally posted by civic_rida
What you think of a rs4 or s5?

A790
08-24-2008, 10:39 AM
I personally would buy an NSX if I was going to mod it out. Lower it, supercharge it, and basically treat it like any other Honda. I would be paranoid as hell of hitting something though, as I hear they aren't cheap to repair for even small little dings and dents.

max_boost
08-24-2008, 12:47 PM
^^
Yes no doubt.

One step at a time, can't do it rage2 styles. All at once lol

02 is sexy as is! + Gruppe M sides, Eibach springs + Wheels= HOT

Throw on the Gruppe M supercharger which is rock solid, now we are talking 0-60 in 4.4 secs, not bad right. 1.6million yen=$15k lol

I'm keeping a close eye on nsxprime. Prices are a lot more reasonable on that site than the US auto trader lol

Should be able to pick up an 02 in the $50's all said and done but I will be very patient and will continue to do more reading on the car lol

Yes, I know I'm still not quite listening to the OG's who have shared their thoughts haha

All I know is, if I buy this car, I'm not going to sell it on here. :rofl:

theken
08-24-2008, 01:29 PM
step up to a cls

A790
08-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding! And we have a wiiiiiiiiiner :P

Jlude
08-24-2008, 02:57 PM

hahaha... Nice Sam... Nice.

soloracer
08-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Cody D

I sold mine in 3 days and Ryan sold his in a week I believe, but ours were low price examples.

I'm curious to know what else besides the M3 that you currently own you consider a fun car?

He had a Modified 944 Turbo and AMG Mercedes SLK. Power wise both will put a bigger smile on your face than the NSX. Then when it comes to slowing down when you hit the brakes on the other cars you stop - no lock up or chatter. I don't think anyone disputes the looks of the NSX or the handling. I think the biggest complaint is the power delivery. It could be considered boring in stock form. Even my supercharged one doesn't make the heart beat any quicker when I step on it. Whereas I punch the gas on the 968 Turbo and instantly a grin appears and I can't wait to do it again. Part of being a boost junkie. The Lovefab turbo for the NSX is looking better every day.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK88t4OiEDE&feature=related

CokerRat
08-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Had one for 3 years and it was a great car. I didn't find the stock power boring at all. The thrust and induction sound at WOT are absolutely intoxicating, but perhaps that's its achilles heel... you can't putter around town redlining it whereas cars with stupid amounts of low-end torque can be more thoroughly enjoyed stoplight-to-stoplight. However the power numbers are a bit misleading; a stock NA1 will hang with E46 M3's at speed.

My main complaints are merely the outdated controls and audio system. If you can live with those things, the rest of the car is unlikely to disappoint you over time.

4doorj
08-24-2008, 05:11 PM
^^
Yes no doubt.

One step at a time, can't do it rage2 styles. All at once lol

02 is sexy as is! + Gruppe M sides, Eibach springs + Wheels= HOT

Throw on the Gruppe M supercharger which is rock solid, now we are talking 0-60 in 4.4 secs, not bad right. 1.6million yen=$15k lol

I'm keeping a close eye on nsxprime. Prices are a lot more reasonable on that site than the US auto trader lol

Should be able to pick up an 02 in the $50's all said and done but I will be very patient and will continue to do more reading on the car lol

Yes, I know I'm still not quite listening to the OG's who have shared their thoughts haha

nice!!!!!
u gotta take me for a spin when you get it!

you gotta do what u like!!!
alot of people dont like it, i would still get it too!

2000TL
08-24-2008, 05:13 PM
:drool:

Bl04sEBJC1Y

YNkS9gbeYb8

rmk
08-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I don't think the OP is a hairdresser.

max_boost
08-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

nice!!!!!
u gotta take me for a spin when you get it!

you gotta do what u like!!!
alot of people dont like it, i would still get it too!

Remember our little talk at the Wednesday meet 3 weeks back? Yeah it was YOU!! who got the fanboyism thing going again! lol Or I wait until you buy one and then I'll buy it off you when you get bored of it..... :devil:

4doorj
08-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Yeah everyone keeps saying that
I'm a bad influence

BerserkerCatSplat
08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by rmk

I don't think the OP is a hairdresser.

Well, he does drive an SLK.

...I kid, I kid. :D

rage2
08-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Cody D
The M3 was never a car I itched to drive daily until I got the HPF kit. Stock, it was boring as hell.

The SLK32 was and still is my favorite car. Everyday I itched to drive that thing, never ever got bored of it. It's not all about the power, 349hp and I loved that car. 420hp at it's peak just enhanced the experience. The power delivery just rocked in that car, so much fun. I was hoping the SLK55 would be the same, but the car got softer compared to the 32, and it just wasn't the same.

Originally posted by soloracer
He had a Modified 944 Turbo and AMG Mercedes SLK. Power wise both will put a bigger smile on your face than the NSX.
The 944 Turbo doesn't count. Only on race gas did I love that car, and it wasn't economical driving it daily with race gas lol. On pump gas it wasn't that quick, handling was nothing to brag about, and driving it in traffic sucks with a heavy clutch.

If the GTI was RWD, that might make the list. Biggest complaint, I can't hang the tail out when nobody's around ;).

So ya to answer your question, I'd say the SLK32 is the only car I've owned that I consider long lasting fun.

Casa
08-24-2008, 10:55 PM
The IS-F is pretty sick.
for the money, I agree with the gf. I test drove one (my Dad's looking at one), and they're so beautiful inside and so quick! sounds great too at WOT, and its Lexus! reliable =)

nightfx
08-25-2008, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Casa
The IS-F is pretty sick.
for the money, I agree with the gf. I test drove one (my Dad's looking at one), and they're so beautiful inside and so quick! sounds great too at WOT, and its Lexus! reliable =)
I wouldn't really put an IS-F in the same league as an NSX, i mean the normal person probably wouldn't even be able to distinguish it from an IS250 while an NSX and feels more sporty.

Can't wait to see the NSX, love the 02+ ones.

Supa Dexta
08-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Rage were you leaving crowfoot in a Porsche yesterday at like suppertime on john laurie?

heavyD
08-25-2008, 08:44 AM
So ya to answer your question, I'd say the SLK32 is the only car I've owned that I consider long lasting fun.

That sucks. You have money so you should get on that as life is short. Being on a budget I manage to have fun with my cars even if they are long on the tooth.

syeve
08-25-2008, 09:53 AM
RS4 from the states. Cheap and AWESOME in the winter/summer.

heavyD
08-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by syeve
RS4 from the states. Cheap and AWESOME in the winter/summer.

I agree. So much nicer than the M3. It's too bad the pricing is on the high side.:(

redline
08-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I agree. . It's too bad the pricing is on the high side.:(

:werd: but i would take a M3 over a RS4 any day of the week...

BMW is out to lunch on the M3 price

But...

Audi is out to a 89coupe lunch with the price of their cars:thumbsdow

redline
08-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Max the NSX is right for everybody:hitit: Just do it:clap:

Still one of the cars i want to own.... just not for the track.... it lacks in that area and is very expensive to get up to spec.

Rage2 you need to put the vaporizor down for a minute the e46 m3 is loads of fun and does not need HPF turbo

rage2
08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by redline
Rage2 you need to put the vaporizor down for a minute the e46 m3 is loads of fun and does not need HPF turbo
The coupe is totally different than a convertible, handles so much sharper, more precise. The convertible is a bit sloppier, you need to work the wheel harder to stay consistent throughout corners.

Also, the M3 has just the right amount of power at sea level. The cars are just plain slow here. Powerband feels so boring. Sounds like crap stock too, like something's gonna break, until you pop in that second resonator.

Redlyne_mr2
08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
I love to mod so nsx for me any day of the week.. suspension can be changed, power can be added..
http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/44266/2000360187846384898_rs.jpg
http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/49179/2000336242736490686_rs.jpg
http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/48771/2005241228577088959_rs.jpg

redline
08-25-2008, 12:33 PM

The coupe is totally different than a convertible, handles so much sharper, more precise. The convertible is a bit sloppier, you need to work the wheel harder to stay consistent throughout corners.

Also, the M3 has just the right amount of power at sea level. The cars are just plain slow here. Powerband feels so boring. Sounds like crap stock too, like something's gonna break, until you pop in that second resonator.

never diven the vert so i cant say on that front...

But slow???.... i guess it is relative but it is fast enough to get in a whole pile of trouble on the steet and i dont go to the track anymore, so i dont need crazy power.

I agree on the sound. now with my SS sport muffler that car sounds very good!!!

max_boost
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM

BMW is out to lunch on the M3 price

But...

Audi is out to a 89coupe lunch with the price of their cars:thumbsdow

:werd: to the pricing.

That's why the IS-F and C63 price point is so wicked. $70K done!

I wonder how many pissed off C55 owners are there paying $15K more for an inferior car haha

How are the M repairs coming along? Are we going to see it at the year end cruise?

I love to mod so nsx for me any day of the week.. suspension can be changed, power can be added..
http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/44266/2000360187846384898_rs.jpg
http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/49179/2000336242736490686_rs.jpg
http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/48771/2005241228577088959_rs.jpg

Yes, minus the 1990 pop up headlights dude. I even got my hair cut short so I have left that era behind now :D

heavyD
08-25-2008, 12:52 PM

Not me. RS4 has a better engine, nicer interior and AWD which makes it a decent winter car. Also IMO it's a much much nicer looking car than the M3. If you want to conform and blend in with Calgary traffic you would purchase a Honda, Mazda 3, or BMW. I just don't want the same car that everyone else has.

ZorroAMG
08-25-2008, 12:53 PM
That orange one is sick, minus the uncle ben's stickers.

Redlyne_mr2
08-25-2008, 12:53 PM
fine .. modernized
http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/47602/2005251528764319447_rs.jpg

redline
08-25-2008, 12:58 PM

:werd: to the pricing.

That's why the IS-F and C63 price point is so wicked. $70K done!

I wonder how many pissed off C55 owners are there paying $15K more for an inferior car haha

It is bound to happen over the next couple of years as CDN. prices drop.

But I cant fit in any of the IS cars, not enough head room and the the C63 is just not a car I seem to want :dunno: but one of my friends will have one soon enough and i see one in person

How are the M repairs coming along? Are we going to see it at the year end cruise?

WHAT it is broke down??? or did some jackass hit it?

Yes, minus the 1990 pop up headlights dude. I even got my hair cut short so I have left that era behind now :D

and a little to ricey... the dark grey one that Tunerworks did up is totally pimp:drool: :drool: :burnout: :hitit:

redline
08-25-2008, 01:04 PM

Not me. RS4 has a better engine, nicer interior and AWD which makes it a decent winter car. Also IMO it's a much much nicer looking car than the M3. If you want to conform and blend in with Calgary traffic you would purchase a Honda, Mazda 3, or BMW. I just don't want the same car that everyone else has.

Better engine... it what way :dunno:

Nicer interior ok but i find it small and a little cramped for taller people

AWD ... great if your buying a winter beater but in a sports saloon it is ghey!!!

looks... opinion no winner

on the conform... now your just being a anti-fan boy. And if Audi would not price the RS4 30K above the other cars you would see just as many on the road.

heavyD
08-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Never understood all the hate for the NSX on beyond. It's one of the few Hondas worthy of the hype and praise.

Eleanor
08-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Never understood all the hate for the NSX on beyond. It's one of the few Hondas worthy of the hype and praise.

Ummmm Mugen Civic Si? :whipped:

;)

Redlyne_mr2
08-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Beyond is now full of old dudes who drink grey goose and roll around in their bmws wearing burberry flat caps. :D

max_boost
08-25-2008, 01:54 PM

It is bound to happen over the next couple of years as CDN. prices drop.

But I cant fit in any of the IS cars, not enough head room and the the C63 is just not a car I seem to want :dunno: but one of my friends will have one soon enough and i see one in person

[b]

[b]

and a little to ricey... the dark grey one that Tunerworks did up is totally pimp:drool: :drool: :burnout: :hitit:

The IS-F has very limited head in the rear. That was my #1 issue with the car. Otherwise I think it looks great. It's design is more low key imo when compared to the C63. The MB is just a beast that screams "look at me" haha

This NSX?

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1944/img9158srn3.jpg

It's nice but there's a lot going on, too aggressive for my tastes. That Veilside kit is probably pushing $20K all said and done. I need my NSX lowered on some Eibachs and some nice wheels and that will end phase 1. Phase 2, supercharger! break the bank!! lol

BerserkerCatSplat
08-25-2008, 02:01 PM

The IS-F has very limited head in the rear.

If that's a problem for you, I have some bad news about the rear seats in an NSX. ;)

D'z Nutz
08-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey MB: I can have the key to our old NSX.... the car has been sold long ago, but I still got a key :rofl:

heavyD
08-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Beyond is now full of old dudes who drink grey goose and roll around in their bmws wearing burberry flat caps. :D

Ahh the evolution of beyond lol.

rage2
08-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Jackass hit it.

Ya, it's all hype lol. I don't hate NSX's, it's a cool car to borrow cuz it looks cool, just a crappy car to own because it doesn't offer much for the $$$ that they're worth.

I was a judge at one of the shows, the one at the stampede, and I voted the red NSX for best in show. So no, I'm not an NSX hater.

syeve
08-25-2008, 03:23 PM

Better engine... it what way :dunno:

Nicer interior ok but i find it small and a little cramped for taller people

AWD ... great if your buying a winter beater but in a sports saloon it is ghey!!!

looks... opinion no winner

Enter - Audi fanboy :)

I am 6'2" and have no issues with head room in my S4.

The evolution of cars is heading towards AWD for a reason. AWD is the REASON I got an S4...I LOVE it. Also, the RS4 are rear wheel biased anyways. 60 front 40 rear I believe.

I do agree on the pricing, but check out the prices in the states, they are getting cheap (er).

soobad
08-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by RJMcMillan
Soobad,
You have a White/Black NSX? That is a pretty rare colour combo. I was looking for one like that a couple of years ago and finally gave up. Silverstone was my second choice. I've never seen you around town or at the meets. Do you keep them stored?

White/Black and Black/Black.

White/Black FS thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/231037/fs-1992-nsx-black-on-white/

I drive the car a bit, in the south part of calgary up mcleode trail mostly. To the guy complaining about the sound of the NSX -- it's silent and slick stock, but if you like a deep throaty sound it can be done! The aftermarket exhaust on my white NSX I love, almost everyone comments on it. :bigpimp:

redline
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Enter - Audi fanboy :)

I am 6'2" and have no issues with head room in my S4.

The evolution of cars is heading towards AWD for a reason. AWD is the REASON I got an S4...I LOVE it. Also, the RS4 are rear wheel biased anyways. 60 front 40 rear I believe.

I do agree on the pricing, but check out the prices in the states, they are getting cheap (er).

I am 6'3" and find the interior small and not as comfortable as a M3 interior IMO. But interior qualilty i will give the Audi all day.

Cars are heading to AWD cause people are douche bags that cant drive....

WBB6
08-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I guess just like anything in life everyone is subject to their own opinion...and obviouslly it depends on what you are looking for in a car. The NSX is a "classic" car from the 90's...it doesn't have the technology of the new cars and is definitely under-powered in stock form compared to many of the cars today. If you think it's "cheap Honda maintenance" don't buy an NSX, the majority of the maintenance parts need to be ordered from the Dealer and you will fall over when you find out how much some of the parts are. Bang for the buck? don't buy an NSX.

But with all that said, I've been driving my 91 Comptech supercharged NSX which has the big boost upgrade and many many other modifications and I absolutely love the car. I'd be more than happy to take any of you guys for a spin and you can tell me what you think!

The only problem with my NSX is that there are very few "stock" components left on it... :poosie:

Bobby @ Tunerworks

http://www.cca.cc/nexus/nsx_tw.jpg

max_boost
08-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey Bobby!

Is that a WW kit? What kind of suspension are you running? Love it. Perfect stance!

bashir26
08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Bobby your NSX is insane. I saw it saturday night on near 10ave and 1st.

WBB6
08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey Bobby!

Is that a WW kit? What kind of suspension are you running? Love it. Perfect stance!

Hey Sam, my car has the 94-up OEM Front Lip, WW sideskirts, and Seibon 03-up style rear diffuser in CF. I wanted this combo as it is subtle and definitely helps update the look of the car.

More Pics:

http://www.cca.cc/nexus/nsx_tw03.jpg

http://www.cca.cc/nexus/nsx_tw02.jpg

C4S
08-26-2008, 01:29 PM
NSX is cool ..
I still remember my buddy .. when she was driving NSX to school .. even her Professor was flirting to her at UA campus .. :rofl: ( he didn't know she was her student! )

:eek: Oh Wow .. it was actually back to 1995!! time flies !! .. poor me .. was only driving E34 back then .. couldn't catch up with her .. :cry:

tomt64
08-26-2008, 03:31 PM

I am 6'3" and find the interior small and not as comfortable as a M3 interior IMO. But interior qualilty i will give the Audi all day.

Cars are heading to AWD cause people are douche bags that cant drive....

I am 6'3 and pretty much drive IS cars whenever we get a dash rattle. There is a ton of headroom, are you sure you put the seat all the way down? They are so comfortable.

Redlyne_mr2
08-31-2008, 01:49 AM
oooh I want an nsx so bad now

http://i33.tinypic.com/2m7ho52.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/35n4z5s.jpg