PDA

View Full Version : 135i, 335i or M3?

SilverRex
08-22-2008, 07:23 AM
Which would you get if you had the chance?

135i coupe? 45k Cheapest of the Bunch, nearly as quick as M3, but smallest of them all. Doesnt have LSD I think, but the car does grow on me more especially the rear

335i coupe 55k Nor expensive nor cheap, can chip this guy to keep up with the M3, maybe more practicle? but doesnt have the M3 symbol, poor man's M3 you say? (appears the 09 model will have a facelift, or DCT option. Even if the 335i is the better choice, choosing to wait for the newer model vs lower rates is also a difficult decision)

M3 sedan 75k Saw one at the dealship, looks stunningly aggressive in real time. Everything is so sweet about this but surely it will eat my wallet in fuel and pulling out all my RRSP is not an obvious choice but is it worth it?(rephrase, that does not mean RRSP is the only funding option I have, but just saying it will require some sacrafice in certain savings of mind, just not limited to RRSP)

Destinova403
08-22-2008, 07:35 AM
i absolutely love the 135i... its a return to the classic BMW small sports coupe... it isnt the best looking car... but IMO neither is the 3 series... so thats the one id go for...

and then youll have lots of cash left to invest/save/spend on mods

schocker
08-22-2008, 07:40 AM
335i. But why compare the M3 sedan with the 335i coupe.

SilverRex
08-22-2008, 07:41 AM
^

welp I just dont like the 335i sedan but the M3 sedan is another story

btw arint the 09 going to have a face lift for the 3 series?

I wonder if the M3 sedan will get an update for 09 as well (especially for the rear)

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM
M3 or nothing at all however pulling money out of your RRSPs to pay for a car is financial suicide, especially when you get taxed on it from both ends. The 1 series is just super girly IMO, maybe it's the size of the car, hard to say. The interiors on those things are not the best either. 335 is a nice everyday choice.. some good deals out there on them.

heavyD
08-22-2008, 07:47 AM
135i is a better deal than the M3 and at our altitude will probably perform better as well. It does look a bit stubby and there isn't much room in the back seat but it's alot cheaper. The M3's performance is a little dissapointing when you consider it has V8 power. In Calgary it probably won't even be able to hang with lower priced cars such as the EVO X or STI.

Pulling out RRSP's for a car is never a good idea though.

Benny
08-22-2008, 07:50 AM
DURRRRR, WHY NOT JUST SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET A SHIRT THAT SAYS 'DOUCHEBAG'? LOLROFL

Seriously though, if it were me I know that the whole time I'd be jizzing my pants over the M3 and probably wouldn't be satisfied with either of the other cars. I was digging the 1 series for a while but they just don't look that appealing to me anymore.

schocker
08-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
^

welp I just dont like the 335i sedan but the M3 sedan is another story

btw arint the 09 going to have a face lift for the 3 series?

I wonder if the M3 sedan will get an update for 09 as well (especially for the rear)
yah, the tail lights are revised along with the bumpers iirc. I would go for the 335 though, dont pull out your rrsp to buy something like a car right now. The 335i is a fine vehicle and is worth the tiny premium over the 135i.

SilverRex
08-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
M3 or nothing at all however pulling money out of your RRSPs to pay for a car is financial suicide, especially when you get taxed on it from both ends. The 1 series is just super girly IMO, maybe it's the size of the car, hard to say. The interiors on those things are not the best either. 335 is a nice everyday choice.. some good deals out there on them.

i guess I should rephrase RRSP reserve is really for emergency, but I guess I wanted to emphasize it will require me to realocate my funds and in such not necessary means that I have to touch my RRSP I have other savings as well.

Mr. Burns
08-22-2008, 08:01 AM
135i looks... stumpy for lack of a better word. In pictures I thought they were OK, until I saw one yesterday in real life. Not feeling it at all.

335i is a nice looking car... although everybody and their dog has one. Performance is good, and I wouldbe lying if I said I hadn't considered getting rid of my GTI and doubling my monthly car payment.

M3 is a stunning beauty... but $75k... pfft. Fuck that.

so 335i

SilverRex
08-22-2008, 08:05 AM
whats everyone take on the new DCT option on the 3 series?

auto with paddleshift 335i and wait for an clearance deal?
or
suffer the high rates and wait for 09 3 series that should have the DCT option? assuming 09 model gets them

civic_rida
08-22-2008, 08:28 AM
M3 CONV. :bigpimp:

Eleanor
08-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Please don't get a BMW, get something unique and different.

SilverRex
08-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Please don't get a BMW, get something unique and different.

then what do you suggest that for the price you get smiliar if not better performence bargin for the BMW?

blownz
08-22-2008, 08:38 AM
If money wasn't an issue I would totally go with the M3. But it sounds like it is an issue and I would never suggest over spending on a car. 335 would be my choice then. 135 is great bang for the buck but I am not a huge fan of the looks plus it is pretty small inside. But if you like the looks and space isn't an issue, you can't go wrong with it either.

In the end I think you would have fun with any of them, just spend what you feel comfortable with.

schocker
08-22-2008, 08:45 AM

then what do you suggest that for the price you get smiliar if not better performence bargin for the BMW?
C63 AMG :drool:

SilverRex
08-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by schocker

yes that is another but MB doesnt have anything below that to compete with the twin turbo 1 and 3 series

Aleks
08-22-2008, 09:02 AM
I heard that BMW won't let you put a Dinan chip on their cars if you lease. Something to think about. You can get other chips if you like though.

I don't get why people always say don't get a BMW it's not unique etc etc. I would rather have a better car than a more unique car :poosie:

SilverRex
08-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I heard that BMW won't let you put a Dinan chip on their cars if you lease. Something to think about. You can get other chips if you like though.

I don't get why people always say don't get a BMW it's not unique etc etc. I would rather have a better car than a more unique car :poosie:

well can you add the chip after the lease is over?

I mean think about if if I wanted to keep the car I would buy it out and the end and if I dont, I wont add the chip to reduce my chance of selling it

SilverRex
08-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by schocker

oh does the M3 retain its value better than the AMG cars?

gpomp
08-22-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't get why people always say don't get a BMW it's not unique etc etc. I would rather have a better car than a more unique car :poosie: shit, i was just going to buy a suzuki aerio...

benyl
08-22-2008, 10:01 AM
You are picking a very bad time to lease a car.

1. '08 are old and clearing out. Residuals are low and will only get lower, thus increasing your payment.
2. Cheap BMWs from the US are affecting resale, thus lowering the residual again.
3. '09 will be showing up in about 1 month and will likely have high interest rates as they are new and the sedans will have an update. The coupe and vert will be the same on the outside as the '08.

A decently equipped 335 is $60K, not $55 as you suggest. That adds $100-$150 to your monthly payment.

BMW has been taking a beating on residuals and will likely start dropping them on the new cars so as to not lose money. Buying out the car at the end might not be an option for you as you will likely have negative equity in the deal (in the current market).

The N54 is an ok engine. There are a number of problems with it at the moment and thus modding the car is kind of stupid unless you go with Dinan. Not an option on a lease.

There are fuel pump issues. They still have not been resolved. There is a new fuel pump out, but there hasn't been sufficient time to see if the revisions have address the issues.

There is also a turbo revision out due to wastegate issues.

I would say, save your money.

heavyD
08-22-2008, 10:06 AM

No love for Audi?

Are you looking for performance or luxury? The BMW's aren't a performance bargain. You are paying for it. The only real performance bargains in the industry are: Corvette Z06, GTR, EXO X, and STI. Everything that performs as well or better costs more money.

C4S
08-22-2008, 10:14 AM

oh does the M3 retain its value better than the AMG cars?

Yes .. resell for Benz is always lower, esp AMG vs M, and C63 won't be rarer then the M3 at all ..

However, is it a big deal on resale value? you buy what you want .. even if you like a Jag .. and you know they worth nothing in few year .. just buy it.

Shouldn't think too much as well, there are new car coming every year, if you like the M3 sedan, and they have it in stock, buy it.

$85K is still $50K less then a C2S, with similar performance.

It is old story . if you just care about straight line and dont drive standard... go for C63 .. if you enjoy driving, go for M3 Sedan .. if you want to keep $5K in your pocket, go for ISF.

But it soon .. enjoy it sooner .. you can't enjoy driving your car just on internet .. right? :D

By the way, M3 won't get the facelift for 2009, and even the M3 is only ~ 50% more expensive then the 335, however, payment would be almost double, as BMW doesn't offer any special rate on M3 .. so the payment from 335i to M3 could jump from $800 to $1500.:D

GTS Jeff
08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Go look at all the cars next to each other. You'll see just how ugly the 1er is next to the 3ers. Then you'll see just how emaciated the 335 is next to the M3. Then hop over to the Audi dealership and you'll realize that BMW design is shit.

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2008, 10:35 AM
I would never buy out a bmw lease.. never any equity in them at time of maturity. If you want to lease a car and buy it out at the end get a Lexus. :)

benyl
08-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I would never buy out a bmw lease.. never any equity in them at time of maturity. If you want to lease a car and buy it out at the end get a Lexus. :)

haha, I like how you sig has a special on the IS-F.

The halo car having trouble being sold? hmmm....

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by benyl

haha, I like how you sig has a special on the IS-F.

The halo car having trouble being sold? hmmm....
This is a series 1 car, no navigation, back up camera, bluetooth etc. Seems everyone who buys one wants it to be the fully loaded series 2..no issues in sales on the car whatsoever though :D

max_boost
08-22-2008, 11:58 AM
SilverRex: Still deciding eh?

Anyway, what's your goal here? Lease? Finance? Cash buyout?

135 lease rates are high. M3 lease rates are high. Not sure what the finance rates are but probably in the 6-8% range. Actually, M3's are just fucking expensive period. Too much money!!!

335 residuals are around 50%. I miss the 60% days. But the lease rate is still only 2%. Definitely best bang for the buck imo! It might be worth it to buyout the car at the end of the term at 50% residual.

Or

C63 and IS-F. Both $70K out the door.

LoneSTar has an allocation for December delivery. Lexus CAlgary has a Silver one in stock and their 09's are coming in a month.

max_boost
08-22-2008, 12:02 PM

This is a series 1 car, no navigation, back up camera, bluetooth etc. Seems everyone who buys one wants it to be the fully loaded series 2..no issues in sales on the car whatsoever though :D

I'm glad it wasn't Blue. Lindsey would have been all over it. lol

Casa
08-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Lexus IS-F
still a decently rare car in Calgary, has Lexus reliability, Lexus resale, and won't give you problems you may have with a 335i

bashir26
08-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Why would people buy the M3 when they can choose to get a C63 AMG. If you haven't considered this car please do. They are unreal. The M3 sedan interior is cheap compared to the C63 AMG. I had the pleasure of driving the new M3 sedan, its great, but not 85K after taxes great.

When I went to go check out a 2009 C63 AMG they told me that you can get a ECU remap to match S63 AMG specs since the engine is the same. They told me it does not void warranty what so ever and that maybe tuner works is able to do the ECU remap.

Oh and the C63 AMG is much more comfortable than the M3.

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by bashir26
Why would people buy the M3 when they can choose to get a C63 AMG. If you haven't considered this car please do. They are unreal. The M3 sedan interior is cheap compared to the C63 AMG. I had the pleasure of driving the new M3 sedan, its great, but not 85K after taxes great.

When I went to go check out a 2009 C63 AMG they told me that you can get a ECU remap to match S63 AMG specs since the engine is the same. They told me it does not void warranty what so ever and that maybe tuner works is able to do the ECU remap.

Oh and the C63 AMG is much more comfortable than the M3.
Sounds sort of ironic but fuel consumption is starting to become priority for people, even with cars of this caliber.

bituerbo
08-22-2008, 12:54 PM
My vote is for M3 sedan.
4dr german luxury sport sedans give me raging hard-ons.

shin0bi
08-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Don't kill yourself over a car. Save up until you can DEFINITELY afford it. BMWs are notoriously expensive to own. You'll be paying a lot for insurance. You'll be spending more on gas. There's a lot more financial hits than just the initial cost.

If you're hellbent on a bmw, why not buy used?
Go for the 3 series. That makes the most sense from a logistical standpoint, since its middle of the road between the other 2 cars you listed. They are nice cars, and everything... but seriously, if you're gouging that deep into your pocketbook just for the chance to own a bimmer, I'd advise against it. or wait a year. Keep working hard, make the most of what you've got, keep saving, etc. And then go buy one.

And also, there's that whole BMW-douchebaggery factor. hehe

C4S
08-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I guess .. the C63 Gas mileage is even higher then a F430 according to car and driver?

You may say .. " I dont care " .. which for peopel driving a $100K .. 200K car .. they may not care .. but when people can barely afford a $70K car, spending $300 a month on gas vs $400 a month, that is a big different ..

Somehow, M3, ISF offer good gas mileage .. both BMW and Lexus are good on that, but seem like Benz dont care at all.

Anyway, bottomline, whatever you buy, you will love it, the first step is to buy one. :thumbsup:

Go see redlye, read his signature! :D

Eleanor
08-22-2008, 01:05 PM

C63, G37, Audi S4, IS-F, Jag XF, Cadillac CTS-V... need I go on? :D

civic_rida
08-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Who knows how high gas prices may go next summer.
Something to think about

ZorroAMG
08-22-2008, 01:10 PM
1 series has the down's syndrome of the car world. It looks like a retarded fish-man.

max_boost
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
How does the M3 and IS-F offer good gas mileage? No way.....Even my WRX gets shitty mileage. 400kms/tank, 60L tank on 91. Is that considered good? :dunno:

blownz
08-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by shin0bi
Don't kill yourself over a car. Save up until you can DEFINITELY afford it. BMWs are notoriously expensive to own. You'll be paying a lot for insurance. You'll be spending more on gas. There's a lot more financial hits than just the initial cost.

Why do people keep saying that? He is buying new so for the first 4 years or 80k there will be free maintenace from BMW. The only costs over 4 years would be tires (depending on how you drive) and brakes. And I just did the rear brakes on my 06 E90 and it was only $405 with GST at the dealership for pads and rotors. That is hardly expensive.

And insurance isn't bad on them either. I pay more insurance for my 06 Expedition than I do for my 3 series.

And they are surprisingly good on fuel.

When the warranty is gone sure they can get expensive, but that is the same for any used German car, not just BMW.

shin0bi
08-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Why not look into the G37? By all accounts its the superior car in almost every way to the 335i (with the exception of cachet. How big of a douch do you want to be?)
I think it is a rather attractive car also. And much cheaper.

max_boost
08-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
Who knows how high gas prices may go next summer.
Something to think about

If I can make a boat load of money off my Energy stocks because of higher oil prices, I'm not concerned about paying more at the pump!

Plus it's good for our economy anyway.

benyl
08-22-2008, 01:17 PM
The C63 is really bad compared to the other two. It is all about context.

Aleks
08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I like Infiniti's adds about how their car has 306 hp and 335 has 300, yet the 335 blows it away in acceleration :nut:

benyl
08-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Especially at our altitude.

I would probably buy a Hyundai Genesis before buying an Infiniti.

Eleanor
08-22-2008, 01:34 PM
I like Infiniti's ads about how their car has 306 hp and 335 has 300, yet the 335 blows it away in acceleration :nut:
TQ ;)

blownz
08-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by shin0bi
Why not look into the G37? By all accounts its the superior car in almost every way to the 335i (with the exception of cachet. How big of a douch do you want to be?)
I think it is a rather attractive car also. And much cheaper.

Superior in almost every way? You ever hear the saying you get what you pay for?

I'm not saying the G37 is bad, but it is not the better of those two cars.

CLiVE
08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Save your money. Pick up a 3-5 year old pre-owned BMW/Lexus.
M3, 328, 330, or IS250/350. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

max_boost
08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
The C63 is really bad compared to the other two. It is all about context.

My bad. Just did a quick search. C63 is terrible. 17mpg combined city/highway. M3 + IS-F a bit better

335I is around 25mpg combined. That's pretty damn good for 300hp TT!

benyl
08-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I am getting 20mpg (11.7 l/100km) right now in the 335. I have a heavy foot.

The M3 gets about 16mpg in the city.

C4S
08-22-2008, 02:48 PM
I am getting 20mpg (11.7 l/100km) right now in the 335. I have a heavy foot.

The M3 gets about 16mpg in the city.

You are about right ..

335i .. ~ 11L/100 city driving,

M3 ~ 12.5-13L/100 city driving .. :)

benyl
08-22-2008, 03:09 PM
I am talking about the E46 M3... haha, I think the E9X is a little more than that.

nightfx
08-22-2008, 03:49 PM
M3, personally I'd pick a C63 though if i was looking for a car in this range.

heavyD
08-22-2008, 04:03 PM
It's too bad the RS4 is more expensive because it's so much sweeter than the M3.

403Gemini
08-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I dunno why but I love the 335i.... so that got my vote. If it was a e46 m3 i'd choose the m3 cause thats my favorite style of bmw's

funkedelic
08-22-2008, 08:40 PM
if you can afford the m3 sedan i would go for that over the 1 series any day.

tedstriker
08-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Unless you're making 6 figures, and will be for many years to come, I'd think twice about any of these cars. Save your money, increase your RRSP, and make sure you get the car you really want/need.

Personally, I'd go for the 135i. you can mod the engine and suspension to destroy the others in every measure, and will do it for far cheaper. Plus its a nice little car that will probably get decent gas mileage.

**Plus probably good in the snow from Nov. - April.

Aleks
08-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by tedstriker
Unless you're making 6 figures, and will be for many years to come, I'd think twice about any of these cars. Save your money, increase your RRSP, and make sure you get the car you really want/need.

Personally, I'd go for the 135i. you can mod the engine and suspension to destroy the others in every measure, and will do it for far cheaper. Plus its a nice little car that will probably get decent gas mileage.

**Plus probably good in the snow from Nov. - April.

My problem is I get bored of cars VERY quickly. I doubt it would be any different with any of these ones :banghead: