PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wheel lock

avow
08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
So putting a new tranny and clutch in the mr2, started taking it apart, got to the rims and realized that there is a lock on one of the lug nuts. I was never given the key when I bought the car and we have tried breaking it but the damn thing just wont come (that's what she said :D). Does ANYONE have the key for this? I just need to borrow it for an hour and then I will bring it right back. I just don't want to have to tow it to get it welded off :cry:
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/4536/img1138jx4.jpg
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/409/img1139zk6.jpg
rear:
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8445/img1141io7.jpg

DomesticBoy
08-22-2008, 12:23 PM
just go to canadian tire
its an easy key to find

avow
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
the problem is the car isnt movable. I guess i could take an imprint of it or something :S. is that what you were thinking?

adam c
08-22-2008, 12:27 PM
its a mcgaurd key lock, depends if thats a newer or older lock

DomesticBoy
08-22-2008, 12:28 PM
haha the imprint in the middle means nothing
its just another stud that u put on the wrench
its specially fitted to take that one off

Tik-Tok
08-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by DomesticBoy

With every new post, you show what a genius you really are :nut:

gretz
08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by DomesticBoy

Means nothing?
just another stud on the wrench?

Full of insight

If you can find a matched imprint at crappy T (bring the imprint, it means something), perfect.
pm me if its impossible to get a match, i can likely help

avow
08-22-2008, 01:16 PM
thanks SO much guys for all the advice. as soon as work is over here i will run over and see if i cant find the key over at canadian tire. any other ideas in the mean time i would love to hear.

Tik-Tok
08-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by avow
thanks SO much guys for all the advice. as soon as work is over here i will run over and see if i cant find the key over at canadian tire. any other ideas in the mean time i would love to hear.

Find a cheap socket that'll fit JUST over the bolt, and weld it on, but not everyone has a welder handy I suppose.

Use a good penetrant, and take a heaver duty chisel, and use hammer/chisel to turn the bolt out

barmanjay
08-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I've used a cheap 12 point socket and hammered it on in the past

6 point wont work,.. need to find a 12 point socket that will barely fit with the help of a hammer

barmanjay
08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
correction,.. looks like you have no room to fit a socket on there without damaging the rim,.. better go find the right key,.. sorry

avow
08-22-2008, 11:20 PM
agh. we tried everything. bought a ton of different ones from canadian tire and one of them looked to be exactly it but jut one grove off. its like its an old version of that one. i have no idea what to do. guess its going to have to be towed and welded :banghead:

civicman
08-23-2008, 01:22 AM
I just might have it if it fits you can keep it...pm me

whiskas
08-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Park it in the NE overnight.

thinmyster
08-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by whiskas
Park it in the NE overnight.

:rofl: I olo'd

EvolutionI
08-23-2008, 02:35 AM
If this was in Edmonton, I would come over and take it off for you, would take a while since getting the lock key out of the socket is a bitch.

Someone here has to work at a tire shop in Calgary.

nobb
08-23-2008, 04:37 AM
You cant just buy a key off the shelf. I have locking nuts too and I believe those might be McMaster Locks. There is a ton of different computer designed combinations...you will never be able to find the right key for it. Sucks for you, but good for those who buy these to keep their wheels safe.

Might have to get it professionally taken off, or double check that the seller really really didnt include the key for it.

Supa Dexta
08-23-2008, 08:27 AM
You did try turning the key all the way around since it only fits on way, right?

I may have it I have an older one, 3 yrs or so old now, I'll be in calgary sunday at supper...

avow
08-23-2008, 10:51 AM
i just pmed a ton of you guys. lol i dont mind driving around to try and find the right one.
supa: we really did try turning it around, multiple wheels everything lol. this is seriously ruining my weekend :P

onehawtrex
09-09-2008, 05:26 PM
i know Shaw GMC on mcleod has a master set of lock keys...when i lost mine i went there and they have like over 100 differant ones...and they ended up having the right one......but since your car is not drivable that kinda sucks...get a drill bit, drill out the middle of the lock nut, then get one of those reverse thread bits and maybe that will do the trick..

( EDIT didnt notice it was a old thread lol)

ride
09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
that sucks, depending how tight they were put on...
find someone that knows a toyota mechanic with a master set or
there are lock removers but it doesn't look like they will fit so
try using an air hammer and if that doesn't work drill it out and replace the stud.