PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

tjaym
08-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi all, I need some advice on the oil and gas industry.
ive been working as a furnace installer in new homes for 3 years but im looking at starting out a new career in the oil and gas sector but I dont have any job related experience and am having a hard time conecting with employers.
for starters im not even sure what exactly id like to do but Heavy equipment operator and environmental field technician interest me the most so far. what is the best way to learn about all the different jobs out there?
second whats the best way to get a job without any job specific experience and without knowing anyone personally who could help?

thanks for any help and advice.

Tyler

badatusrnames
08-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Sometimes it's not what you know - it's who you know.

Sorry I could offer better specific advice, but it's true.

Try to hit up relatives, friends and acquaintances and see if they can help you get your foot in the door. Sometimes that's all it takes - the hidden job market is huge.

tjaym
08-22-2008, 07:41 PM
i know thats the problem...i barely know anyone...thats the problem...got no family cept my mom and just moved here from lethbridge so dont know many people either. sucks cause im dieing to get to work.

Graham_A_M
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
I used to work in the oil and gas sector, I was a field operator for a oil & gas well servicing company. I'm by no means a veteran in the industy, but I can perhaps help you with your questions.

The thing is though about the oil patch, is that its very "Feast of Famine". Its about as up and down as it gets... at times you can be working for months straight with no days off because its absolute balls-to-the-walls busy, other times you can be out of a job for months at a time.

That said company went from SCREAMING for people (as in hiring random people off the street just to fill jobs) to laying off 15 out of the 60 employees at that district 6 weeks later.
Thats why I'm not involved in that industry anymore. Unless you have an absolute shit load of money saved up for the downtimes, and dont mind moving around to keep busy, then dont bother. Some sectors of the industry are fairly consistantly busy, others are very stop and go.

Alas I digress, like I say though PM me if you want and I can do my best to help out.
I know a few contacts in the industry, perhaps that can get you started.

broken_legs
08-23-2008, 09:32 AM
If you want to move to Fort mcmurray there are jobs for you.

If you dont want to work that far north you will be subject to the upswings and downturns in the oil and gas market

Mike514
08-23-2008, 05:56 PM
TJAYM, Here's my story,

I'm basically in the same position as you are ... Except for the fact that I went HEAD ON and decided to move to Fort McMurray with nothing. I had my car, my girlfriend, my dog, and that's about it! ...

I got here about 3 weeks ago, for 4 days we had to camp because we couldn't find a place to stay, especialy with a stupid dog! But you know, best things in life happens when you least expect it. I was on my way out of there when we decided to stop at BK for a snack, I heard some ppl talking french (and I'm a frenchie) so I had a chat with them, and guess what, they had a room for rent.

So anyways, right now we're paying 1500/mo (750 each, my gf and I) for a room in a nice townhouse and I've got a not-so-bad job, of course it's just temporary until I find something better ... but anyways, since I've been here, it's really up and down ... but mostly up so far;

I've started as a construction labourer at 18$/hour, changed for another company still in construction, as a concrete labourer for 22$/hour ... and now I'm working for Purolator making about 1200$/week for 55 hours (23$/hour + 35$/h overtime) . I have an interview with Diversified (a bus company) for driving people off and on oil sands/camp at 27$/hour + 650/mo LOA (will have to negociate that) ... + my gf started as a housekeeper for 16/hour and now she works with Garda (which by the way is hiring almost anyone right now) for 21$/hour as a security gard at one of the gates at Syncrude, she's trying to get some contacts to get me on sites to drive haul trucks (CAT 797B and such) cuz that's the main reason I came here.

Anyways, best advice I can give you, get some savings (2-3000), find yourself a place to stay b4 u get here, and work your way up as I did, get a temporary shitty job just to keep u busy, and talk to everyone around you to get a job with the big names in the industry, bcuz the only thing u gotta remember is that : it's not what you know, but who you know.

tjaym
08-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the reply's ive been talking to a bunch of people lately and might have found a project i can work for outside of camrose just south of edmonton laying pipe for 28 an hour 14 hour days 21 days on 5 off..hopefully that works out. from what ive read and done so far I really want to get into heavy equipment operating. I know you can do the 11,000 dollar course to get certified but i have heard of people doing that and still not getting hired because of lack of experience. so i guess its all about networking and being at the right place at the right time.
Im also really flexible with no gf or kids or any comitments really so I dont mind moving around for work aslong as the pay is decent.

Graham_A_M
08-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Mike514

I've started as a construction labourer at 18$/hour, changed for another company still in construction, as a concrete labourer for 22$/hour ... and now I'm working for Purolator making about 1200$/week for 55 hours (23$/hour + 35$/h overtime) . I have an interview with Diversified (a bus company) for driving people off and on oil sands/camp at 27$/hour + 650/mo LOA (will have to negociate that) ... + my gf started as a housekeeper for 16/hour and now she works with Garda (which by the way is hiring almost anyone right now) for 21$/hour as a security gard at one of the gates at Syncrude, she's trying to get some contacts to get me on sites to drive haul trucks (CAT 797B and such) cuz that's the main reason I came here.

Anyways, best advice I can give you, get some savings (2-3000), find yourself a place to stay b4 u get here, and work your way up as I did, get a temporary shitty job just to keep u busy, and talk to everyone around you to get a job with the big names in the industry, bcuz the only thing u gotta remember is that : it's not what you know, but who you know.

Not too shabby money considering what the jobs are:thumbsup:

Mike514
08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
If you want to take the course for driving heavy machinery, come to Fort McMurray and go to Keyano College, it costs 5000$ ...