PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Manual Transmission Rental

Magicide
08-23-2008, 12:49 PM
I've got a question for anyone in the Edmonton area. At my job half of the vehicles are manual transmission and I never learned how to drive stick. I have decided I want to fix this but I don't know anyone with a manual transmission so I decided to go the rental route. The problem is I can't find a single company that carries a manual transmission vehicle that isn't a $125/day or more luxury vehicle.

Are there any rental outfits that carry manual vehicles that are under $50/day? I know they prefer automatics precisely so people who can't drive standard don't grind up the gears but I'm hoping there is a small company that might still carry one. Anyways here's hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

SilverBoost
08-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Be sure to tell them that you want to rent the car to learn how to drive a standard. That should get you the best deal.

Can nobody at your work take you out for an hour and show you the basics?

Supa Dexta
08-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Are you a big dork? I'll take you out for a little bit sometime if your not, and show you some things/let you give it a try....

.. You are an 08 though, so this could be trouble, :rofl:

clem24
08-23-2008, 02:10 PM
You pretty much answered your own question as to why manual transmission cars are not rented out. :rolleyes:

Magicide
08-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Heh..

I know why they don't rent them out. I was hoping that one of the smaller shops would have one anyways. So far no luck however. I wasn't surprised that they didn't have manual cars but I figured they'd have a 1 tonne or something.

revelations
08-23-2008, 02:37 PM
If you have no idea how to drive a stick, then you will not be able to get out of the rental lot parking area.... which is rather embarrasing.

Supa Dexta
08-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Well since you skipped over my post, I don't know what your up to. But if you want a quick lesson sometime pm me. I'm not available till after the weekend though.

asifka
08-23-2008, 04:06 PM
1-> find a cheap standard car from kijiji.ca or usededmonton.com . you can find cheap, driveable car for under 500.

2-> get insurance

3-> slap you license plate on it. you can drive for 14 days on ur old registration. must keep a bill of sale with new car.

4-> learn how to drive standard.

5->When you done learning, cancle your insurance(or transfr back to your normal car). put your license plate back .

6-> sell standard car.

ragu
08-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by asifka
1-> find a cheap standard car from kijiji.ca or usededmonton.com . you can find cheap, driveable car for under 500.

2-> get insurance

3-> slap you license plate on it. you can drive for 14 days on ur old registration. must keep a bill of sale with new car.

4-> learn how to drive standard.

5->When you done learning, cancle your insurance(or transfr back to your normal car). put your license plate back .

6-> sell standard car.

+1

canuckcarguy
08-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Or call a driver training school and ask them for a lesson or 2.

toastgremlin
08-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Rent-a-Wreck sometimes has manual transmissions (or at least they did five to six years ago).

hash
08-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Or call a driver training school and ask them for a lesson or 2.

:werd:

lot of the smaller places are willing to do it. tell them you don't need the full course, just a few hours. even better, they'll teach you properly too.

Gibson
08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by asifka

From what I understand, this is actually not true anymore.

spikerS
08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
it is true, but you can not own the old car your plate came off of.

FiveFreshFish
08-25-2008, 07:49 PM
You must have a buddy with a manual transmission car.

Or take up Supa Dexta's offer.

Supa Dexta
08-25-2008, 08:01 PM
We talked already, I think I'm going to take him out sometime.

Magicide
08-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Ya Supa Dexta and I talked and he's going to help me out. I tried calling around some more a couple days ago and couldn't find a single company with a manual transmission rental that wasn't excessively expensive. Looks like the only reasonably priced options are to either find someone to teach you or go through a driving school.