PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on lebanese mountain breakfast called "fetah"

nonlinear
08-23-2008, 03:47 PM
one of my good friends during my undergrad was lebanese, and used to make us this delicious breakfast called "fetah" or something. he said it was what people ate for breakfast in the mountains in lebanon.

he gave me the recipe, but it has no proportions or anything, so i wanted to do a bit of web reserach to see if i could find other recipes or even just pictures or to read about the history of the dish. however, i can't seem to find anything on the net.... maybe i'm spelling it wrong????

here's the recipe (as he emailed it to me):

1. fry garlic and pine nuts.
2. mix the garlic and pine nuts with warmed chick peas.
3. add yogurt, cumin, and pieces of toasted pita bread.
4. stir until all is mixed into an arabic tornado of goodness.
5. eat the food called "Fe-tah"

it is seriously delicious, but i'm not exactly sure how much of each ingredient i need to add (obviously he just knows cause his mom used to make it or whatever)

thanks!
non

dannie
08-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Fatteh

This is the recipe I got when we were in the middle east last month. Hope this works for you.

Ingredients:
400g can chickpeas
125g natural yoghurt
1 lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons tahini
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 round of pita bread
30g pine nuts, dry toasted in a frying pan
½ teaspoon salt
Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
Sumac or cayenne pepper, to garnish
Olive oil, to garnish
Method:
1. Drain chickpeas and rinse well. Place in a pan with cold water then bring to the boil.
2. Add a little salt then boil for approximately 7 minutes or until chickpeas are tender. Reserve some of the cooking liquor.
3. Heat a frying pan and (without oil) toast pita bread until browned, dry and crispy. Break into shards.
4. In a bowl, whisk yoghurt, tahini, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and lemon juice until combined. It should have the consistency of runny paint. Add chickpea cooking water if it needs to be thinned.
5. Place pita shards in a serving dish. Cover with warm chickpeas. Pour over yoghurt sauce then decorate with drizzled olive oil, pine nuts, parsley and sumac/cayenne.

nonlinear
08-23-2008, 04:45 PM
groovy man, that's it! thanks a ton!

dannie
08-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Another dish we had (and are addicted to) is an israeli salad. It's super simple.

Cut up a whole cucumbuer into super tiny pieces, a whole tomato(without seeds) into tiny pieces and a little bit of onion into tiny pieces. Put a tiny bit of olive oil over that mixture, the juice of half a lemon (or more if you want the acidity) and kosher salt to taste. (The kosher salt makes all the difference)

Frikkin awesome and super easy.

Enjoy the food!!

nonlinear
08-23-2008, 05:12 PM
oh, that salad sounds awesome. we will be making that soon!

thanks again man
non

dannie
08-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Anytime

Kritafo
08-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Another dish we had (and are addicted to) is an israeli salad. It's super simple.

Cut up a whole cucumbuer into super tiny pieces, a whole tomato(without seeds) into tiny pieces and a little bit of onion into tiny pieces. Put a tiny bit of olive oil over that mixture, the juice of half a lemon (or more if you want the acidity) and kosher salt to taste. (The kosher salt makes all the difference)

Frikkin awesome and super easy.

Enjoy the food!!

I will be making this one, sounds very nice.

dannie
08-24-2008, 08:48 AM
It is addictive. Its very fresh and so easy. The key to it is two things. Smal Small Small pieces of veggies and kosher salt. It isnt the same as table salt. Blech

Kritafo
08-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by dannie
It is addictive. Its very fresh and so easy. The key to it is two things. Smal Small Small pieces of veggies and kosher salt. It isnt the same as table salt. Blech

I don't have table salt, kosher salt is so much nicer. I am making it this afternoon and I know my family will love it.

nonlinear
08-24-2008, 11:53 AM
we've never used kosher salt, will coarse sea salt work?

dannie
08-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Yep, works well. Just taste as you go, cuz sea salt has much more flavor. It is easy to over salt. Lemme know what you think of it. I love it :)

R!zz0
08-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Have chicken curry yaar with basmati and mango pickle

ZorroAMG
08-25-2008, 02:18 AM
WTF does that have to do with this thread R!zz0?

rm777
08-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Have chicken curry yaar with basmati and mango pickle
You always make me laugh...chodu ;)

Kritafo
08-25-2008, 09:06 PM
btw....I love that salad,...and I was pretty sure I had it before, we use to get it with Falafel's when I lived in London. But I sorta forgot about this yummy salad.

Now I am going to try the fetah on the weekend.

nonlinear
08-25-2008, 10:59 PM
oh man, Kritafo, make it for breakfast. it's super easy, tasty as fuk, and stick to your gut so it gives you a lot of energy for the morning. definately a great mountain food for breakfast when you're camping, or even at home in the city!

Kavy
08-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You can just have corn flakes like the rest of us.

Cooked Rice
08-26-2008, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You can just have corn flakes like the rest of us.

I prefer fruit loops.

dannie
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
That salad is awesome. Non is right, the Fetah is awesome for breakfast.