PDA

View Full Version : Lebanese Supermarkets

bluetek
08-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Any good ones in Calgary, preferably in the south side of the city?

QuasarCav
08-24-2008, 12:47 PM
There is Somar along Macleod trail between Southland and Heritage.

nonlinear
08-24-2008, 01:10 PM
does somar have any take out food, or is it only a market?

what about good lebanese/middle eastern food in general in the south?

there is an israeli sandwich place on macleod right across from chinook... can't remember the name, but they have the best falafels i've had in calgary. they actually fry them fresh upon order, the way it's supposed to be done (not any of this microwave crap). however, i much prefer Palestinian-style falafels over Israeli-style (i.e. stuffing ingredients inside the pocket interior as opposed to rolling/wraping the ingredients in the bread). would like to find a nice palestinian joint.

EDIT: oops, sorry man. not trying to hijack your thread, just got on a roll there :)

there are Cedar's markets all over the city. i've never been inside one of the markets, but i believe they used to have a lunch counter at the U of C in like 2001. i had it a few times, didn't care much for it at the time (not well-spiced).

dannie
08-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Other than Somar on McLeod (which also does take-out last time I was there) the only stores are in the North or 17 Ave SE. There is a Slovakian store on James McKevitt. It is in the same strip mall as John Henrys Pub. They generally don't carry much Lebanese stuff, but the carry the odd thing. I buy Israeli Cous Cous there. It is always worth a shot to go in and see what they have.

DJ_NAV
08-24-2008, 11:20 PM
A&A jimmys?