PDA

View Full Version : The Official Beyond.ca Badminton Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

r0g3r
08-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm 21, go to uofc and would like to keep in shape throughout the year, but i need a steady badminton partner, someone who has a passion for the sport. I am planning, later down the road, to join tournaments for "under 23".

So if you go to uofc that would be great, we can play couple times a week at the gym on campus, if not we find a gym (like talisman) we can play during the week & weekends.

experience level does not matter, I'm just an average player, just dabbled in it during high school but thats it. I have always loved the sport but never really had someone else to train with that was as passionate as I was.

thanks!

roger.

max_boost
08-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Well dude, I play every Wednesday night from 9:30pm-11:00pm at Talisman ($5). We usually have 4-5 players so we play singles or doubles.

Also play on either Sat/Sun morning from 10:30am-12:30pm. Same deal, 4-5 players.

We are average in skill too. Play just to stay in shape and it's semi-competitive. You can come join us if you like. If you can beat us, then you can find a new partner, we understand lol

I played with a guy who competed in Nationals a few weeks back, no chance. Completely schooled us. I have never seen a smash that hard in my life haha

sxtothe240
08-24-2008, 10:13 PM
hey if you dont mind i would like to join in this weds night sat morning routine, i used to go alot, but would like to get in shape.

PM me if it's alright with you and your friends max_boost.

Thanks

r0g3r
08-24-2008, 10:44 PM
sweet that would be great!! i'll be there and just yell out MAX_BOOST =D by the way I was at talisman a couple of weeks ago and there was a big asian group there, like high school age, by any chance is that you and your friends lol.

anarchy
08-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Max is a little older than high school haha!

I used to play every week at Village Square Leisure Centre. Played on the teams all throughout high school, used to be decent but now I'm pretty weaksauce.

I might come join you guys sometime, i haven't played in ages.

AzNxHyDrA
08-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
sweet that would be great!! i'll be there and just yell out MAX_BOOST =D by the way I was at talisman a couple of weeks ago and there was a big asian group there, like high school age, by any chance is that you and your friends lol.

That'll probably be my friends. I'm not very competitive anymore so I don't play with them. They go there quite often so you'll probably see them again

r0g3r
08-24-2008, 10:54 PM
sweet I didn't know that many people played, i wasnt banking on any reply's actually, hahaha, thats cool hope we get to see that national guy play!

dooman24
08-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by anarchy
Max is a little older than high school haha!

I used to play every week at Village Square Leisure Centre. Played on the teams all throughout high school, used to be decent but now I'm pretty weaksauce.

I might come join you guys sometime, i haven't played in ages.

lol what's your name? i used to go to VSLC every wheel to and played for forest lawn in high school..that was like.. 3 year or 4 years ago

dooman24
08-24-2008, 10:57 PM
hey MAX_boost...
on a saturday.. few weeks ago.. did you see some guy fucking up his leg playing badminton..

anarchy
08-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by dooman24

lol what's your name? i used to go to VSLC every wheel to and played for forest lawn in high school..that was like.. 3 year or 4 years ago

John

I graduated in 2000 and played for Pearson. Went to provincials in grade 11 for doubles. They are doing renos on VLSC right now but when they're done I think I'll get a yearly pass there. I was just going to use it to work out cuz I don't know many ppl that play badminton anymore but if anyone goes there I'd be happy to play.

gqmw
08-24-2008, 11:03 PM
sweet I didn't know that many people played, i wasnt banking on any reply's actually, hahaha, thats cool hope we get to see that national guy play!

haha there are so many asians on here!

The big group you saw at talisman are high school kids - some
just graduated, others still in hs. Not all of them go every week
but there's a couple that go every week. Would you say you're
around their level?

r0g3r
08-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by gqmw

haha there are so many asians on here!

The big group you saw at talisman are high school kids - some
just graduated, others still in hs. Not all of them go every week
but there's a couple that go every week. Would you say you're
around their level?

the guys got some good steady consistent shots, the girls were pretty good also. I would say I could play a good rally against the guys, winning would be a problem if the game was dragged out as I have horrible endurance now, I can probably do 2-3 good rallies, then slow down and recharge, after losing the next 2-3 points I can go for another 2-3 good rallies HAHA,

i played against an asian guy, around his 30's, he had this amazing backhand drop shot, where it look like he was going to clear it, but actually drop it. Man he worked me hard, I was sweating in no time.

dooman24
08-24-2008, 11:14 PM
oh yeah! since it seems like we're old players here and seems like we've been out for few years..

DAMN man what happened to play to 15??
the new kids plays to 21 and every serves counts.. it was so confusing..

gqmw
08-24-2008, 11:14 PM
^ Ahh, you going to keep going there consistently?
I drop by once in awhile and play with that group. But I haven't for awhile, I'm pretty much done any competitive badminton haha.

Oh really? Is he tall, kinda big ish maybe?

r0g3r
08-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by dooman24
oh yeah! since it seems like we're old players here and seems like we've been out for few years..

DAMN man what happened to play to 15??
the new kids plays to 21 and every serves counts.. it was so confusing..

haha, not too old yet!!

yea the new point system is to make games go alittle faster I guess. but I can play either, it doesn't matter, I just want to play!! haha

i go there probably once every two weeks, because of the fact that I have cheap passes that I bought long ago. I have 3 left, so I will continue to go =D, do you know if there are some cheap deals for students there? I know at the UofC campus they charge like 6 dollars per entrance, its pretty good, some good players there also.

The guy I played is skinny, not too skinny, around 5 11'. After a few of those backhand drops I sort of caught on to him.

gqmw
08-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Hmm, I would play with you, but it's kinda past my prime and I don't play as much anymore.
I occasionally play with a few friends but that's about it.

But, you'll probably see my brother there if you go on Sat, I believe he'll be training there again in the fall. Perhaps you can give him a go?

r0g3r
08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Hmm, I would play with you, but it's kinda past my prime and I don't play as much anymore.
I occasionally play with a few friends but that's about it.

But, you'll probably see my brother there if you go on Sat, I believe he'll be training there again in the fall. Perhaps you can give him a go?

at the talisman or uofc campus? sure does he have a beyond account? =D, come on man you're never past your prime!

sxtothe240
08-25-2008, 12:50 PM
I think i know a couple of the highschool looking kids that play at talisman. haha.

btw, do you guys play in the "newer" gym? or the shitty courts in the middle of talisman? haha

AzNxHyDrA
08-25-2008, 12:58 PM

at the talisman or uofc campus? sure does he have a beyond account? =D, come on man you're never past your prime!

Haha he's not out of his prime oh and his brothers 11 I believe but he'll probably give you a good warm up maybe? Glad you actually found some people to play with.

SOAB
08-25-2008, 02:59 PM

I know at the UofC campus they charge like 6 dollars per entrance, its pretty good, some good players there also.

you could join up for a full semester at the UofC for $150. we play 3 times a week. sunday, tuesday and friday.

usually, i'm playing in the first 2 courts there.

wanna learn how to play well? join the provincial tournys. there is one coming up in 2 weeks.

www.badmintonalberta.ca

max_boost
08-25-2008, 04:23 PM
The last 90 minutes at Talisman is only $5!

About 5 years ago we had a Beyond crew that would go 3-4X /week! And then everyone got lazy.

Anyway, PM me if you want to join in. My crew can play on other days as well, except Friday night. We usually have 3 players for sure, it's getting that 4th person can be hard sometimes.

max_boost
08-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Well I'm trying to find a 4th person to play tonight so if anyone wants to join, PM me! If more people show, can always alternate on and off.

9:30pm-11:00pm Talisman!

r0g3r
08-25-2008, 04:56 PM
awww I cannot play during those times until school starts and I switch my times at work.

sweet thanks for the website I will definitely join the one in sept, and the one in november for sure.

150 bucks for a whole semester is pretty good, how many hours do you play and what time during those days?

topmade
08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
That's awesome guys I think I'll try to hit up Talisman one of these days. Haven't picked up a racquet in years, but played quite a bit back in the day, even played in the alberta summer games back in 92 I think (yes I'm old).

Is it everyday that the last 90 minutes is $5?

max_boost
08-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah everyday!

I'll be there tonight for sure. Got a team of 4 going. Always up for a friendly match! :D

gqmw
08-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA

Haha he's not out of his prime oh and his brothers 11 I believe but he'll probably give you a good warm up maybe? Glad you actually found some people to play with.

Haha I'm totally out man, I'm just getting fat nowadays.
My brother is 11, but he'd give most people a pretty good warm up.

He does private lessons on saturdays, so if you have a partner or something, him and his coach would give you guys a challenge for sure.

max_boost: Too bad I live far NW, or else I'd drop by talisman for a game or two during those nights. Keep this thread going guys! If enough people are interested maybe we can organize a day for everyone to come out or something.

r0g3r
08-26-2008, 01:04 AM
i live far in the NW too, I live in hidden valley to be exact, but I love going for long drives just to do something haha. so im basically down for saturday at talisman. I'm also looking at that site for badminton alberta, and it makes me regret i haven't started this earlier when I was still in my teens. But I guess its still not too late to pick up the raquet with a good attitude.

max_boost
08-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Had a good session tonight. Syeve came out to play some doubles. Damn 6ft+ tall guys. Can hit everything haha

gqmw
08-26-2008, 01:18 AM
^ up two. Haha that's pretty sweet.

Would this be your first official Alberta tournament?

r0g3r
08-26-2008, 01:32 AM
yes it would be my first, what about you?

btw, im reading the site, and it doesn't say: but do I need to pay for a membership in order to sign up for tournaments around the country/province?I know that my friend's auntie knows some top ranked korean players that played in the olympics and other major tournaments around the world. I should see if I can get in on the action ahah.

edit #2: also what would you guys consider the best way to increase endurance/stamina exponentially? I heard interval training was the way to go, for example: SPRINT like mad, then go at a slower speed for about 30 seconds then at an even slower speed for 60 seconds then SPRINT like mad again.

gqmw
08-26-2008, 01:42 AM
I've played tourneys before haha but I'm done now. It's all my brother's time now..

Um, well technically you're supposed to pay for membership in order to join the tournament. That way you can be ranked and you can be registered as an "Badminton Alberta member."

However, if you just want to say join the tourney and not get ranked, you just sign up for an account on tournamentsoftware.com or whatever and you just pay for the tourney and you're registered for just the tourney. You can get around paying that badminton Alberta fee if you want I guess.

Haha yeah by all means try to get some playing time with them. I know of a korean player named Yale, he's up in citadel. He used to play pretty hardcore back in korea, maybe your friend's aunt may know him.

gqmw
08-26-2008, 01:46 AM
For speed and stamina, I'd probably get a court or even like a basement. Pretty much you get a space and you start at the center. You take a few steps to get to the right top corner..then back to the middle. Then left top corner...back to middle. Right bottom corner, back to middle, etc. If you do this, it should increase your stamina exponentially as well as helping your footwork.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-mirAcI&feature=related

r0g3r
08-26-2008, 02:09 AM
For speed and stamina, I'd probably get a court or even like a basement. Pretty much you get a space and you start at the center. You take a few steps to get to the right top corner..then back to the middle. Then left top corner...back to middle. Right bottom corner, back to middle, etc. If you do this, it should increase your stamina exponentially as well as helping your footwork.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-mirAcI&feature=related

nice, I remember doing that during highschool when we had to warm up before playing games. I think my footwook is down, since I play quite a bit of squash and soccer.

edit: any of you watch professional badminton? my all time favorite player is taufik hidayat, his shots are known to be very tricky and very well know for his backhand smash. he is my hero, a 2004 olympic gold medalist, along with 2005 world champion. the other player I watch is Lee chong wei of malaysia, which in my mind should have won the gold instead of Lin Dan of china during the bejing olympics. Peter Gade was also an excellent player during his prime, but now a days hes just like taufik, a second class player. =(

SOAB
08-26-2008, 09:05 AM
the yearly fee for joining badminton alberta is about $36. you can join as many tournys as you like with that fee. if you just plan to join 1 tourny, it would cost you around $10-$15 for the BA fee.

syeve
08-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Had a good session tonight. Syeve came out to play some doubles. Damn 6ft+ tall guys. Can hit everything haha

OMG so sore. Havn't played in years...I am paying dearly!!

Thanks again for the invite, it was good times!!

Steve

sxtothe240
08-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I'll try and make it for Weds night's session.

Is it pretty dead where you guys play in talisman?
Say I bring a friend or 2 will there be courts to play in while we alternate between games?

hks
08-26-2008, 12:41 PM
hahaha there should totally be a beyond badminton meet at talisman lol
never knew soo many ppl on here played

r0g3r
08-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
the yearly fee for joining badminton alberta is about $36. you can join as many tournys as you like with that fee. if you just plan to join 1 tourny, it would cost you around $10-$15 for the BA fee.

oh good, thanks, thats cheap, and how can I pay this $36? Do i have to go down to the office of badminton alberta? (not that I mind)

gqmw
08-26-2008, 02:39 PM

oh good, thanks, thats cheap, and how can I pay this $36? Do i have to go down to the office of badminton alberta? (not that I mind)

You can pay when you register for the tournament. I think it's a little bit more than 36 but I can't remember. When you pay for a tourney, you can just select the box where it says if you need to purchase membership as well. It's pretty easy, and you just credit card the whole transaction.

Hidayat is my favorite player to watch as well haha. His backhand smash is sick. He's always so cool and calm it almost looks like he's never trying =D.

autumnrain
08-26-2008, 02:45 PM
hey john,
you going to play at talisman this week?
i'n in.
sam you play wednesday's?
i stopped playing like 8 months ago and I want to get back into it. but i rather get some pretty competitive rally's in. we used to go all the time after 9:30pm.

anarchy
08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by autumnrain
hey john,
i'n in.
i stopped playing like 8 months ago and I want to get back into it. but i rather get some pretty competitive rally's in. we used to go all the time after 9:30pm.
I'm not sure about this week. I'm pretty sick right now, and have some plans this week. Maybe Thursday if I feel better?

But starting next week, absolutely I'd be down to play. I went last Friday for the first time in a while and man it was a blast. I'm weaksauce though, the next day I could barely move (but that's also cuz we've been playing volleyball every week).

I haven't seen Sam play but it sounds like him and his buddies are pretty good, we could go meet up one time. haha Beyond Badminton Meet FTW!

:hitit: <-- Can we modify this to say I'd smash it?

syeve
08-26-2008, 03:10 PM

Hidayat is my favorite player to watch as well haha. His backhand smash is sick. He's always so cool and calm it almost looks like he's never trying =D.

:werd: I use to play against Bobby Milroy back in the day. He never seemed to be trying.

r0g3r
08-26-2008, 06:19 PM

You can pay when you register for the tournament. I think it's a little bit more than 36 but I can't remember. When you pay for a tourney, you can just select the box where it says if you need to purchase membership as well. It's pretty easy, and you just credit card the whole transaction.

thanks for all the info man you're a big help!:thumbsup:

I just love to watch badminton singles, the make the moves look so easy haha. Especially the games where taufik plays against Lin dan haha.

GotRice?
08-26-2008, 06:32 PM
im down for some badminton!

max_boost
08-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by autumnrain
hey john,
i'n in.

I play any day except for Fridays. I have a crew of 4 others that usually joins me. I'm playing again for sure this Thursday.

Might play tomorrow if they aren't lazy.

max_boost
08-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by anarchy

I'm not sure about this week. I'm pretty sick right now, and have some plans this week. Maybe Thursday if I feel better?

But starting next week, absolutely I'd be down to play. I went last Friday for the first time in a while and man it was a blast. I'm weaksauce though, the next day I could barely move (but that's also cuz we've been playing volleyball every week).

I haven't seen Sam play but it sounds like him and his buddies are pretty good, we could go meet up one time. haha Beyond Badminton Meet FTW!

:hitit: &lt;-- Can we modify this to say I'd smash it?

No way, not that good lol

I play for fun and it's nice to get some competitive action with evenly skilled players. I played with Michelle before, I can hang with her :D

Machi
08-27-2008, 09:58 AM
anyone play at Cardel? how is it there?

sxtothe240
08-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Machi
anyone play at Cardel? how is it there?

Went to cardel like...last year i think it was?

they opened up 3 courts for badminton, but 2 was booked at the time, and i only had the 3rd court for an hour till i got kicked off.

not really the place i'd go for "drop-in" but it might be better now, who knows

r0g3r
08-27-2008, 05:40 PM
i went there about a year ago too, there were kids kicking a basketball around and kept on rolling in our court. it seems too small, the atmosphere definitely wasn't' there. I think leisure center in the NE has the best atmosphere, ALL BAdminton hahah. but now that im older, going there is just weird, with all the HS kids there. :D

sxtothe240
08-28-2008, 09:36 AM
I"m going to be heading to talisman around 7:30-8pm till 11:30pm tonight.

max_boost told me him and his friends are going so there will be people going.

I plan to go there abit early with a couple friends and then we can meet up with max_boost's group at 9:30.

if anyones interested in joining early just give me a PM

r0g3r
08-28-2008, 06:07 PM
im trying to register for badminton competitive form but they are asking for existing BA number, how do I get that?:banghead:

gqmw
08-28-2008, 06:18 PM
You'll have to give badminton alberta a call. They will assign you a number right away.

Edit:

Badminton Alberta
c/o Alberta Badminton Centre
60 Patterson Blvd SW
Calgary, Alberta, T3H 2E1
CANADA
Tel. 403.297-2722
Fax. 403.297-2706

Toll-free 1-888-397-2722

r0g3r
08-28-2008, 06:38 PM
oh no wonder, ok will call them now!!! hope they are still open thanks man1!

edit: nooooooooo there closed, I think i missed teh deadline for the tournament....ohwell 1.5 weeks is not enough to do well anyways....i'll try again in november, BTW what do the category A,B,C waterfall mean? and what does 30+ 40+ 50+ 80+ mean? does it mean you have to be older than those ages? are there really men/women that are 120 years old still competing in badminton tournaments??? im geussing there arn't many tournaments for my age category through out the year huh? anyways peace! gotta go to work now...

Prelude_dude
08-28-2008, 07:26 PM
siiickkk, im new to the city, and i've played badminton throughout highschool, i would totally be down for playing badminton. do any of u play at mount royal??? are u guys gonna be playing this saturday?? i think i'd be down for that at the talisman

anarchy
08-28-2008, 07:36 PM

edit: nooooooooo there closed, I think i missed teh deadline for the tournament....ohwell 1.5 weeks is not enough to do well anyways....i'll try again in november, BTW what do the category A,B,C waterfall mean? and what does 30+ 40+ 50+ 80+ mean? does it mean you have to be older than those ages? are there really men/women that are 120 years old still competing in badminton tournaments??? im geussing there arn't many tournaments for my age category through out the year huh? anyways peace! gotta go to work now...

Haha A B C refers to the rank categories, A being the highest. As for the numbres, they are referring to your Badminton Alberta rankings. With each BA tournament you play, you get ranked accordingly. Basically whomever you beat in singles, you take that person's ranking and they get knocked down a spot.

For example, if you play the 120th ranked player in Alberta and you beat them, you are now the 120th ranked player and they are 121 etc.

I would suggest you play the C field as well, considering you are just starting off. A is ridiculously good players, B is good but challenging players.

As for the waterfall set-up, I believe the way it works if it's still the same from what I used to play, is that your first match determines if you play for the main prize or consolation. All the winners of their first match move on and it's elimination from there. If you lose your first match, you drop into the consolation category and it's elimination for that as well.

max_boost
08-28-2008, 11:50 PM
It was nice to meet some Beyonders tonight!

lint, sxtothe240 and Sky.

I'm easily the weakest link lol

sxtothe240
08-29-2008, 01:04 AM

Yup, although the time was cut short (hense why i went earlier)

Man I'm pooped out.

Also i have a bad knee, haha which is why I play casually now.
I popped my knee 3 times in the last year, all 3 were from badminton. -_-''

And I might be able to be able to hook up some people with free passes to talisman, i know 2 people that work there. It's time to take advantage. haha

Anyways, was fun meeting new people, will problably go again after i recoup :thumbsup:

r0g3r
08-29-2008, 01:15 AM
whos going staturday, I'M SO THERE lol, man hook me up with some free passes please!! 10.50 is a little pricey =)

hmm I wonder if I am still able to sign up for that tournament on sept 5-6-7. they said the deadline is 10 days before.... but im still able to click the link to enter in, I just need my BA #.... btw how many tournaments are there usually in one year? that I can join....

sxtothe240
08-29-2008, 01:21 AM
whos going staturday, I'M SO THERE lol, man hook me up with some free passes please!! 10.50 is a little pricey =)

hmm I wonder if I am still able to sign up for that tournament on sept 5-6-7. they said the deadline is 10 days before.... but im still able to click the link to enter in, I just need my BA #.... btw how many tournaments are there usually in one year? that I can join....

I'll have to ask him next time I see him

r0g3r
08-29-2008, 01:34 AM
^alright, are you going to play on saturday?

sxtothe240
08-29-2008, 01:50 AM
depending on how my muscles feel saturday morning.

but by the feel of things.....it's a 20% go

r0g3r
08-29-2008, 02:02 AM
oh, yea it takes me a couple of days to heal after a good workout, especially since not exercising in a long time lol.

gqmw
08-29-2008, 02:03 AM

haha dang man, if you call badminton alberta, you get your number. Usually if the reg is closed they may be able to put you in if you tell them that you needed a number. They usually extend the deadline if they want to get in more people so chances are you'll still be able to register.

Anarchy is right about the ranking and yeah I'd suggest C for you as well cause you're just starting off. Even at C, the level is still pretty good competition. Not the best, but no where near bad haha.

And if you have a free pass or two bring me! haha it's worth my gas to go all the way down if I can get in free =D

r0g3r
08-29-2008, 02:30 AM
C is definitely where I will start, to gain confidence too when I eventually start winning some games LoL.

lint
08-29-2008, 08:58 AM

Playing in the main gym at Talisman doesn't help. Last night reminded me why I haven't played there in years. You need to stick to the new gym, where you can see the damn bird.

for other badminton clubs/drop ins check here
http://www.badmintoncalgary.ab.ca/info/clubs/listingbyname.html

syeve
08-29-2008, 09:24 AM
I am in BC until Wed, but I am up for playing thurs night next week if anyone is interested.

max_boost
08-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by sxtothe240
depending on how my muscles feel saturday morning.

but by the feel of things.....it's a 20% go

I might be going so give me a shout!

Originally posted by lint

Playing in the main gym at Talisman doesn't help. Last night reminded me why I haven't played there in years. You need to stick to the new gym, where you can see the damn bird.

for other badminton clubs/drop ins check here
http://www.badmintoncalgary.ab.ca/info/clubs/listingbyname.html

haha I love playing in the main gym. Work up a real sweat man. I got use to playing in there :D haha maybe that's why I was able to hang with you guys yesterday, you were affected by the conditions!

Originally posted by syeve
I am in BC until Wed, but I am up for playing thurs night next week if anyone is interested.

For sure. Give me a shout! I think anarchy and autumnrain are coming out too. It's going to be intense! lol:hitit:

SOAB
08-29-2008, 10:19 AM
the way the waterfall works is a little confusing but it works out better.

everyone starts in A for their events.

winners continue on in A

first round losers drop down to C

if you win your first round then lose your second match, you drop down to B.

if you lose your first two matches, you drop down to D.

if you lose your third match in any category, you're out.

everyone is guaranteed at least 3 matches per event.

the 30+, 40+, 50+ is for masters tournaments. basically, you get to play against people in your age category instead of an open category. i'm currently #11 in the 30+ category.

these tournys are pretty fun. friday night they usually have snacks and beer :D and then there is a banquet on saturday night all included in your entry fee.

lint
08-29-2008, 10:28 AM
haha I love playing in the main gym. Work up a real sweat man. I got use to playing in there :D haha maybe that's why I was able to hang with you guys yesterday, you were affected by the conditions!

It's like playing in a sauna. Good for feathers though.

sxtothe240
08-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Playing with feathers are too ballin for me.

can't afford to use a tube or 2 everytime i go play. haha

SOAB
08-29-2008, 12:40 PM
don't mishit so much ;)

syeve
08-29-2008, 12:44 PM
^^^ohhh...and the trash talk begins!

Beyond BADminton Tourney 2008

Lets DO IT.

:D

max_boost
08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
How much are the feather birdies? Can you just buy them at Sport Chek?

I've never played with them before. Are they like the regular ones where there is green and blue for speed?

They sound cool when you hit them though haha

max_boost
08-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Man I had no idea so many of you guys played. I stopped playing for almost 5 years because I couldn't find anyone haha I would have made this thread wayyy back lol

Skill level of the Beyonders is pretty damn good. Everyone that's came out is better than me or I just suck..... lol

sxtothe240
08-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
don't mishit so much ;)

Me and my friends break about 4-5 plastic ones every time we go.

its mainly the cork at the bottom that gets smashed to shit.

SOAB
08-29-2008, 03:19 PM
that doesn't happen too much with the feather shuttles. usually the feathers would die before the cork even comes close to being broken.

r0g3r
08-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by syeve
^^^ohhh...and the trash talk begins!

Beyond BADminton Tourney 2008

Lets DO IT.

:D

LMAO way to blow it out of proportion HAHA

SOAB
08-29-2008, 04:14 PM
How much are the feather birdies? Can you just buy them at Sport Chek?

I've never played with them before. Are they like the regular ones where there is green and blue for speed?

They sound cool when you hit them though haha

feather shuttles can get pretty expensive if you but them from retail stores. try to find someone that buys them in bulk and they'd probably sell you a couple tubes.

1 tube of shuttles at the store would probably cost you about $30-$40 :nut:

i get them for around $20 each tube. 12 shuttles per tube.

gqmw
08-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by sxtothe240

Me and my friends break about 4-5 plastic ones every time we go.

its mainly the cork at the bottom that gets smashed to shit.

4-5!?!?!

stop mishitting!

SOAB
08-29-2008, 04:21 PM
only if you guys play in A category. haha.

2 years in a row, my team lost in the finals against Keith Chans team in that tourny :banghead:

r0g3r
08-29-2008, 04:26 PM
oh lol, does keith chan have a club in calgary or something?

u must be l33t

edit: if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

gqmw
08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm gonna try to sneak into high school;)

Hahah, keith coached me for a little bit. Who was on his team?

Edit: Keith does private for people occasionally and he has a class going sometimes. But the class is usually targeted at the U19/U16 level? More high school kids...

r0g3r
08-29-2008, 04:31 PM
^LOL as long as you look like your in high school its all good

SOAB
08-29-2008, 04:33 PM
oh lol, does keith chan have a club in calgary or something?

u must be l33t

edit: if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

i'm old. 32 haha. well past my prime.

keith had greg bury, grace gao, and vining wolff on his team.

i'm not that good but my teammates are. :D

gqmw
08-29-2008, 04:33 PM
^LOL as long as you look like your in high school its all good

hahaha but I'm actually just going into first year uni so I'm still close enough :rofl:

SOAB
08-29-2008, 04:34 PM
i think Keith's highest WORLD ranking was 23 or something.

thats fuckin impressive.

gqmw
08-29-2008, 04:49 PM
^No kidding, he's crazy.

Doesn't Marlon do a class at talisman on Saturday mornings or something?

AzNxHyDrA
08-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Dude! when are you guys playing on saturday, this is getting me all hyped up. Maybe it'll get me interested in badminton again. I'm way too lazy nowadays =[

r0g3r
08-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I think i'll be there at around noon? but i'll stay for a long time, make the most of each free pass LoL

btw how are the free passes coming;)

max_boost
08-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Hey I'll be at the Talisman Sat morning sometime between 10:30am-12:30pm to work out. If you guys need an extra body to hit some birdies, send me a text!

403-510-2569!

GotRice?
08-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Is anyone going to talisman tomorrow to play in the morning??

gqmw
08-29-2008, 11:17 PM
I'd be interested, but I can't go till around 11:30

r0g3r
08-30-2008, 12:48 AM
i'm in! did anyone book the courts yet?:D

Sky
08-30-2008, 01:08 AM
feather shuttles feels so good but so expensive :bigpimp: I'm gonna steam all of mine so they can last a little longer...:D

max_boost
08-30-2008, 01:22 AM
You don't have to book courts. It's usually completely open during the day.

Just to let you know, the last Sunday of every month is only $4.50 all day. It's their 25th anniversary special so on this day they charge their 1983 prices. Sweet deal!

A790
08-30-2008, 03:51 PM
max, YGPM.

max_boost
08-30-2008, 04:31 PM
OK gang!

I'll be playing tomorrow at Talisman around 11am-1pm!

It's only $4.50 admission! Last Sunday every month! 25th anniversary special pricing!

r0g3r
08-30-2008, 06:04 PM
you always play so early and leave so fast lol, I went there today and just ended up jogging for about 1-2 hours(with like 200 breaks in between HAHA)....then remembered I had Max's number so I texted him, but he left lol.

Man the gym was full of HS kids, I sat there for a bit watching them play, they were pretty good.

who else is going tomorrow? in the afternoon maybe?

max_boost
08-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I have to work at 3pm man! and have to eat lunch also so it has to be early on Sat/Sun!

GotRice?
08-30-2008, 07:10 PM
you always play so early and leave so fast lol, I went there today and just ended up jogging for about 1-2 hours(with like 200 breaks in between HAHA)....then remembered I had Max's number so I texted him, but he left lol.

Man the gym was full of HS kids, I sat there for a bit watching them play, they were pretty good.

who else is going tomorrow? in the afternoon maybe?

Lol that was meeee where were you playingg i didn't see