PDA

View Full Version : Looking into MBA programs, where do I start?

sexualbanana
08-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Sort of a follow up from my last thread about the GMAT. I'm considering writing my GMAT and getting an MBA, but I don't quite know where I should start. From what I've read, I supply a list of schools where I want my GMAT scores sent to, and if I don't, it'd cost $15 a school for me after I write the test (true?).
I just don't know where I should start looking in terms of schools. I've only looked at dream schools in the US, that I would love to go to, but in terms of more realistic schools, I don't know where I would look.

Note: I'm not looking at Haskayne because I did my BComm there and people have told me it's a pretty similar program (this came from Dick Haskayne himself). Plus, I don't want to be working in the energy sector.

The_Rural_Juror
08-25-2008, 07:32 AM
sexualbanana talks to Dick?

sexualbanana
08-25-2008, 01:41 PM
This was in my 3rd year. It was going to a school function and we were just talking in the elevator.

Sadboy
08-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Do you know what you want to do career wise?
What are you doing right now? How long have you been working for? What was your GPA at Haskayne?

JWL
08-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I never did an MBA program but I've had a couple of cousins who did. I can ask them about the $15/school thing if you want. But just a suggestion, why don't you start researching on a couple of places where you think you would like to go and check out the programs that they have to offer. One of my cousins did his MBA at UofA and the other one went to Schulich.

cressida_pimpin
03-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Just bumping this old thread because I wrote the GMAT on March 11th. If you want to write the GMAT, start with a Princeton Review study guide. From there, I would recommend the Official Guides for the GMAT (verbal and quant). Once you have completed that, download PowerPrep GMAT software to try some computer adaptive tests. The closest thing to the real test is the practice test(s) that are on MBA.com. They are computer adaptive and my score on them was exactly the same as my score on the real test.

Before you write the test you get to select up to five schools to have your scores sent to. An additional school is $28, and that same rate applies if you want to send your scores to other schools later.

visit http://www.canadian-universities.net/MBA/MBA_Schools_Canada.html for a complete list of application requirements and schools.

Alot of MBA programs will be similar to your undergrad in business, so what. This means you will qualify for advanced standing and you can complete your MBA in as little as 8 months at some schools. If you did a BComm at UofC then you automatically get to drop 5 classes off the program which also lowers the cost.

The courses that you are worried about repeating will be dropped. If you want something different, pursue a different major than your undergrad and there will be plenty of fresh material.

I'm going to Haskayne and I did a Bachelor of Management at UofL.

r0g3r
03-16-2009, 05:44 PM
approximately how many years of experience do you need in the workforce before you can consider an MBA? Also does GPA play a big role in consideration or does experience trump that?

cressida_pimpin
03-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Years of required experience, and the importance placed on experience varies among schools.

You don't need any work experience if you want to do an MBA co-op program. This is an excellent option for a new grad because you get experience as you improve your education. Alot of schools are doing co-op programs right now.

The following programs DO NOT require work experience and many of them are AACSB accredited:

-Dalhousie - corporate residency MBA
-McMaster - MBA Co-op
-Wilfred Laurier - MBA Co-op (waterloo campus)
-Carleton - MBA Co-op
-Windsor - Integrated MBA
-Brock - MBA
-University of Saskatchewan - MBA

GPA and GMAT scores are important for all schools. Strong work experience is a definite asset though.

If you have 2 years full-time experience (post-degree work experience) then most programs are open to you.