PDA

View Full Version : If you had the chance...

89coupe
08-25-2008, 11:37 AM
...to eat at any restaurant of your choice in the World, who's would it be?

For me it would have to be this restaurant.

www.fatduck.co.uk

Any of you watch this guy's show on the Food Network?

Heston Blumenthal

He creates the perfect dishes, amazing prep work.

His show is called In Search of Perfection.

LadyLuck
08-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I know Gordon Ramsey has a bunch of restaurants around the world, but if i had the chance...id love to try some of his dishes! after watching hells kitchen and seeing him freak out over people making food i wanna try some of his stuff!

sdiep
08-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Princess*Precid
I know Gordon Ramsey has a bunch of restaurants around the world, but if i had the chance...id love to try some of his dishes! after watching hells kitchen and seeing him freak out over people making food i wanna try some of his stuff!

Hahah, totally agree!

E36M3
08-25-2008, 12:33 PM
The French laundry beats KFC every time..

http://www.frenchlaundry.com/

Impreza
08-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
...to eat at any restaurant of your choice in the World, who's would it be?

For me it would have to be this restaurant.

www.fatduck.co.uk

Any of you watch this guy's show on the Food Network?

Heston Blumenthal

He creates the perfect dishes, amazing prep work.

His show is called In Search of Perfection.

Wow, 3 Michelin Stars and Restaurant of the year 2001 by Michelin... Impressive.

French Laundry: I've always wanted to dine at a Thomas Keller Restaurant!!

E36M3
08-25-2008, 12:45 PM
He has three Michelin stars for both of his signature restaurants.. they are as good as anything I've experienced in the world.

L'Espadon in Paris is pretty amazing too..

http://www.ritzparis.com/jump_to.asp?id_target=1310&id_lang=2

Originally posted by Impreza

Wow, 3 Michelin Stars and Restaurant of the year 2001 by Michelin... Impressive.

French Laundry: I've always wanted to dine at a Thomas Keller Restaurant!!

300rwhp
08-25-2008, 03:09 PM
It wasnt rated the restaurant of the year by michelin but rather by restaurant magazine out of the UK. Having eaten at the fat duck many times i would say if that is what your after you should go for el bulli instead of the Fat duck.

malcolmk14
08-25-2008, 03:12 PM
+1 for French Laundry.

89coupe
08-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
It wasnt rated the restaurant of the year by michelin but rather by restaurant magazine out of the UK. Having eaten at the fat duck many times i would say if that is what your after you should go for el bulli instead of the Fat duck.

Wow, such a lucky person. You travel a lot?

el bulli, the best of the best, but I still would pick Heston Blumenthal's restaurant first.

flipstah
08-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Princess*Precid

:werd:

He is quite a perfectionist during Hell's Kitchen and it does look pretty good, so I would like to have the opportunity to dine in one of his restaurants.

That and I wanna see the yelling and the cursing. That's one atmosphere I'd pay to be in. :clap:

DJ_NAV
08-27-2008, 08:36 PM
What about in Calgary? whats the best one? my boss might be taking me wherever i want :)

flipstah
08-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
What about in Calgary? whats the best one? my boss might be taking me wherever i want :)

Belgo was quite good when I went there. Good food, atmosphere, pretty pricey for the portion you get IMO.

dannie
08-28-2008, 08:38 AM
How much is he willing to spend?

DJ_NAV
08-28-2008, 09:24 AM
i dunno.. but he said expensive... so im guessing maybe like 100$ per person.

dannie
08-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Depending on atmostphere, I would say one of three places.

1. Teatros: I find it can be pretentious depending on the nite. But the food is awesome. I would suggest the chefs menu. If you do the wine pairing with it, be careful. It ends up being more wine than you would think and you will be buzzed by the time you leave. (Not sure if your boss would appreciate that or not.)

2. Muse: This place I find isn't on a lot of the most popular places in calgary lists. But it should be. Its right in Kensington, modern decor and the food is unbelieveable. You can ask the server to do a chefs menu. They ask how many courses you want. You tell then how many and the chef comes up with dinner on the spot. Whatever he wants, whatever is fresh. I have done this 4 times now, and have yet to be disappointed. It will take two hours though.

3. Mercato: I love this place. The prices are less than the two above. Your boss would spend $75 per person here. It is much more lively than the other two. I would get a seat at the front counter (that way you dont have to entertain each other and constantly find something to talk about). It's a much more fun place to go. But, I'm partial to Mercato. We eat there at least once a week. And again, I have NEVER been disappointed by anything I have ever had there.

89coupe
09-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by dannie
Depending on atmostphere, I would say one of three places.

1. Teatros: I find it can be pretentious depending on the nite. But the food is awesome. I would suggest the chefs menu. If you do the wine pairing with it, be careful. It ends up being more wine than you would think and you will be buzzed by the time you leave. (Not sure if your boss would appreciate that or not.)

2. Muse: This place I find isn't on a lot of the most popular places in calgary lists. But it should be. Its right in Kensington, modern decor and the food is unbelieveable. You can ask the server to do a chefs menu. They ask how many courses you want. You tell then how many and the chef comes up with dinner on the spot. Whatever he wants, whatever is fresh. I have done this 4 times now, and have yet to be disappointed. It will take two hours though.

3. Mercato: I love this place. The prices are less than the two above. Your boss would spend $75 per person here. It is much more lively than the other two. I would get a seat at the front counter (that way you dont have to entertain each other and constantly find something to talk about). It's a much more fun place to go. But, I'm partial to Mercato. We eat there at least once a week. And again, I have NEVER been disappointed by anything I have ever had there.

The question is any place in the World! Not just sad and pathetic Calgary dining.

civiclvr
09-02-2008, 09:27 AM
^^ pretty sure dannie was answering DJ_NAV's follow up question..

+1 french laundry

dannie
09-02-2008, 05:56 PM
^^ Yep I was

D911
09-02-2008, 06:06 PM

dino_martini
09-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV

What do you like to eat?

I had a really good meal at The Tribune. They make a roasted duck there, so good. But again it all depends what you like to eat.

szw
09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
I like that show by Heston Blumenthal but I'd much prefer to watch a show where he talks about the creations and experiments with dishes he serves in his restaurant instead of re-doing traditional dishes.

You may be interested in watching Decoding Ferran Adria (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/83093/decoding_ferran_adria_dvd_review.html?cat=15). I downloaded it on torrents.

dj_rice
09-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Anthony Bourdain is a funny guy, I love watching his No Reservations and A Cooks Tour

But yes I would love trying out a restaurant that does molecular gastronmy like Heston Blumenthals...either Moto or wd~50