PDA

View Full Version : Financial Service Major at SAIT...Where do they end up?

ekguy
08-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Like it says finishing my 2 years at SAIT this spring. Where do Financial Services majors end up at usually?

Any places hire out here that have branches or offices in Ottawa as well???

Just curious to see if anyone on here took the same program and see where they ended up or how they made use of their diplomas.

saiyajin
08-25-2008, 01:32 PM
im at td bank haha :zzz:

ekguy
08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
doing what?

malcolmk14
08-25-2008, 03:45 PM
I got incredibly lucky and got a position at a major energy company in the city.

For the most part though, FS majors end up as personal financial reps at banks.

do you plan on doing the degree as well after you've finished the diploma?

dezmarez
08-25-2008, 05:49 PM
investors group

l/l/rX
08-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez
investors group

harsh.

hahaha no offense.

dezmarez
08-25-2008, 06:41 PM
haha i dont work there
i just know a dude that did the 2 year diploma and works at investors

Canmorite
08-25-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm in the same program and I've talked a lot of grads.

Truth is, with only a SAIT diploma, most people end up working in banks. Unless you have a vast amount of knowledge and can network really well, plan to start at a bank.

You do end up taking the CSC in your last two semesters which is great on a resume, but you need more then that. Plan to go to Uni afterwards for the higher entry-level jobs with greater room for promotion. Even a CFA designation or a minor in ECON or ACCT would be really helpful.

P.s. Investors Group sucks.

dezmarez
08-25-2008, 07:11 PM
ya CSC looks good but i agree you need more...people in the bank who never went to school or anything have their CSC, so you always need to one up your peers haha...CFP CFA MBA anything will look better

Canmorite
08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Finance B. Comm/BMA, CSC, CFP/CFA is a wicked combo.

dezmarez
08-25-2008, 07:24 PM
haha how about
B of Applied F.S. from MRC/CSC/CFP

Canmorite
08-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Isn't applied the 'easier' version? CSC/CFP is great. I wish SAIT offered the CFP. They prepare us for it, but we don't sit the exam there.

I'd take that from MRC and go to U of C if I could :thumbsup:

dezmarez
08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
i guess you could say that haha
but it still qualifies as an undergrad for CFA and for some MBA programs

Canmorite
08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh nice. Well, whatever works then. Whats the difference between that and the non-applied version?

ekguy
08-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I plan on going to university afterwards possibly in economics.

Mckenzie
08-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Oh nice. Well, whatever works then. Whats the difference between that and the non-applied version?

I thought you planned on doing your CA too.:D

Redlyne_mr2
08-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Didnt we already talk about this? You wont make any money if you get in with one of the banks unless you put in some serious time.. 15-20 years.. business manager at a dealership if you want to make 6 figures in your sleep.

Canmorite
08-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

I thought you planned on doing your CA too.:D

I can't even finish my acct classes at SAIT, let alone start a CA program :rofl:

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Didnt we already talk about this? You wont make any money if you get in with one of the banks unless you put in some serious time.. 15-20 years.. business manager at a dealership if you want to make 6 figures in your sleep.

Truth. Many finance guys will leave the banking/investment industry and go into private companies. Less corporate feel, and usually more money.

l/l/rX
08-26-2008, 11:16 AM

Not true. There are a lot more positions out there either than managers that will make you 6 figures. You dont have to go the FSR, FA, MFS, Bank Manager route.
You can go accounts manager, senior accounts manager, securities etc etc.
For us SAIT financial service students banking IS a good start, if you can handle the crap pay and the bull shit that comes your way for a few years.
Work hard, learn/ do things you're not suppose to do in your position, (ie, ask to learn/ do a HELOC if you're an FSR, etc). You can cut corners by showing lots of progress and a will to learn new things. You will get recognized by your manager, especially if you're pushing numbers higher than your FA's.

91_Integz
08-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by dezmarez
haha how about
B of Applied F.S. from MRC/CSC/CFP

I was in the first graduating class of this program - I'd say it's really beneficial if you're looking to get into financial advising. You get to take a number of wicked courses, you take your CSC, and all the 4 core courses to get for CFP designation. Then when you are done, you can write the 4 hour CFP designation exam.

"Applied" just means there is 3 years education in classroom, and 1 year of work term. The work term is a great way to get your foot in the door

If you're looking to make big coin, CFA is what you want. It's NOT easy by any means though! You have to know an INCREDIBLE amount of information, and it's written in 3 levels

Krytical
08-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin
im at td bank haha :zzz:

That makes 4 people I know :nut:

dezmarez
08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I to am working at the bank and I find that I am not doing much in regards to what I learnt in school. In school we learnt about Tax Planning, Investment Planning, Estate Planning took our CSC etc. Now at the bank we don't even need CSC we only need IFIC which is a lower standard then CSC. I'm mostly dealing with MTG's, HELOC's etc. The thing that frustrates me with this position is tellers have just moved up through the ranks and are doing the same work as me, when I have paid and gone to school over the last 3 years. But again it's all about your career goals, I hope to one day get to the investment firm and I guess you need to start somewhere, but for the time being it is frustrating.

TomcoPDR
08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Popping dents out of cars :(

Anyone remember the Burn's "flight of stairs" days? (along with the fucked up line up at the elevators)

jonnycat
08-29-2008, 08:51 AM

:werd:

Easy money.

joe.inom
08-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey , if is CSC in ottawa , then you can look for the CSC that has selected Canada as a location for a world-class Center of Excellence for ERP development and support. Located in the heart of Montreal, our Canadian center serves clients both within Canada and from the United States. The center focuses on three main ERP packages, leveraging our global alliances with SAP™, Oracle and PeopleSoft™.

With our partners, CSC delivers end-to-end global enterprise solutions, including package evaluation and selection, implementation, and upgrades to performance-enhancing extensions like supply chain, human resources and customer relationship management. Our dedicated Enterprise Solutions practices leverage highly skilled resources across industries and applications, so that we can quickly deliver smart and innovative enterprise solutions.

Canmorite
08-31-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by joe.inom
Hey , if is CSC in ottawa , then you can look for the CSC that has selected Canada as a location for a world-class Center of Excellence for ERP development and support. Located in the heart of Montreal, our Canadian center serves clients both within Canada and from the United States. The center focuses on three main ERP packages, leveraging our global alliances with SAP™, Oracle and PeopleSoft™.

With our partners, CSC delivers end-to-end global enterprise solutions, including package evaluation and selection, implementation, and upgrades to performance-enhancing extensions like supply chain, human resources and customer relationship management. Our dedicated Enterprise Solutions practices leverage highly skilled resources across industries and applications, so that we can quickly deliver smart and innovative enterprise solutions.

wat :dunno: