PDA

View Full Version : Overdue traffic violation

shynepho
08-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi, I received a speeding ticket which said to pay the fine or attend court on Aug 25. I totally forgot I had received this ticket until today when I was just about to clean my car. I went to the registry office to pay the fine right away at about 2pm today but the agent there said it would not be processed until this evening. My question is, could there be a warrant already put out? The agent there was not sure and just said it should be okay if not you will hear from them.

anyone have any more info?

thanks

SJW
08-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Hah. I don't pay any of my tickets until new registration time. They can warrant you all they want but they'll never do anything about it. EVER.

JAYMEZ
08-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Your fine , just pay it tommorow. They are not going to waste time or money putting you in jail or anything...

kenny
08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Relax. I usually forget about my tickets and pay them all when I renew my registration or whenever I need to make a trip to the registry.

shynepho
08-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Perfect, sounds good.

BlueGoblin
08-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Pink Ticket (Part II summons)= Warrant for your arrest

Yellow Ticket (part III violation notice) = Conviction in Absence + late penalty

g-m
08-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Yea IIRC the last time I got a ticket the late penalty was 20$ or 20% of the ticket cost, whichever is more.

LadyLuck
08-25-2008, 05:34 PM
i was 9 months overdue on a ticket a couple of years ago, had totally forgotten about it, got pulled over by a cop for a broken taillight and he pointed out the unpaid ticket, told me to take care of it and that was it.

dont worry about the warrant...they wont waste their time

Kloubek
08-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Watch Dog show up at your doorstep after publicizing your warrant. :)

dezmarez
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
i was almost a year over due for mine
i know the clerk where u pay the tickets
and he just waived the extra 20 percent fee

thinmyster
08-25-2008, 06:59 PM
i paid mine online the day of or the day after it was due (pretty sure it was the latter) added the extra 20% penalty and got all my late fees back the next month. :)

nd54
08-25-2008, 07:07 PM
I have a ticket due tomorrow that I completely forgot about, but it's from somewhere near Lethbridge so it isn't really worth the time and gas to drive out to the court and plead not guilty. I guess I'll just head to a registry and pay it, but I was kind of wondering the same thing if I didn't show up at the court.

Kind of a weird story actually, I got pulled over on a divided highway, the cop turned around and crossed the median, followed me for a bit (my radar detector went off earlier, I was coming up a hill though so it didn't catch the cop in time, but by now I was going exactly 110), then pulled me over and said I was doing 157 in a 110 zone, but he clocked me going 150, and when he gave me the ticket he said it's for 130 in a 110 but then he also gave me a ticket for having tinted windows, but I just checked the ticket and it's actually for 140 in a 110 zone. Plus I was checking my speedo and measuring it against gps speed to gauge the accuracy, so I know exactly how fast I was going and it wasn't anywhere near 157. Not sure if this argument would stand up in court though :D

dannie
08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Wow... stupid registry agent. You can pay it at any registry up to and including the date of your ticket. It wont be processed until tonite, but they could have done it and saved you the 20%. If you get this before 8, Southland Registry is open till 8. And Crowfoot Plates is open till 9. Go pay it.

If you pay it here:
http://www.e-registry.ca/fines/default.aspx

you are taking a 50/50 chance that they get it and process it by midnight. Do it at a registry and it is guaranteed no late charges.

If it doesnt matter to you, leave it and pay at the time of renewal. It will be increased the 20% or $20 (whichever is higher) and thats it. No warrant and no extra fees

zerocon
10-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Hate to revive a older thread but what about a "white parking ticket" whats the deal with those?

Reason being is: I got one for parking at un authorized parking at canadian tire in shawnessy? (basically for supposedly c-training) can I fight this on the basis that they have no proof I was using the c-train that day? b) what happens if I am a bit late on paying this.

malcolmk14
10-14-2008, 01:20 PM
You can file an appeal at the website, but the chances you'll get it overturned are slim. They will probably ask you to prove that you weren't taking the c-train that day.

At North Hill Center, there are signs everywhere specifically pointing out a four hour parking limit to avoid people taking the c-train. I parked there at 7:30 AM, got a ticket written at 8:33 AM, was back at my car by 11 AM, and they put it on me to prove that I was not using the c-train by providing a receipt or proof of service from a mall vendor. Or a letter from the mall administration requesting the ticket be dropped

They will probably charge you a late fee if you're late paying it.

zerocon
10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks man, the thing is there are no "Limited parking time signs" just a "no c-training" sandwhich board which was knocked over and placed behind a tree.

I got my ticket in less then an hour after I parked there...THAT I think is kinda ridiculous.

I think I am just going to pay in and save the time/effort required appealing/fighting it...

Euro838
10-14-2008, 02:11 PM
As an FYI, only do an appeal on the CPA's website if there is an error on the ticket, i.e. wrong license plate, etc. If you want to dispute it, you'll have to let it expire and they will send out a summons or court appearance date that you'll have to attend. Similar to tickets with the CPS.

The clerks at the CPA are basically there for incorrectly written tickets.

Thaco
10-14-2008, 02:15 PM
just make a new thread next time...

zerocon
10-14-2008, 02:26 PM
I pondered it, either way I still got my answer...