PDA

View Full Version : Econ 301 w/ Oxoby

Ginuwine5
08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has take Econ 301 with Oxoby? Would you recommend him? How is his class overall generally (assignments, tests, notes)?
Thanks

flipstah
08-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm in that class as well. According to people, he seems to be a "tough" prof but is quite easy to get along with.

I'll have to find out first day of class and see how "tough" he is.

Gainsbarre
08-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I took 357 from Oxoby in 2003 and 657 from him in 2007.

Certainly a demanding professor (problem sets are very lengthy and exams are challenging), but he is quite easy going (he is a musician on the side and ran a recording studio in California before doing his PhD). He will take the time to explain things if you don't understand. Easily one of the best professors in the department.

Skyline_Addict
08-28-2008, 01:20 PM
yeah, he's probably one of the smartest people you will ever meet. i took 481 with him and honestly thought i might not pass the class cause i was getting maybe 30% tops of the assignments...but i ended up with a B, rofl.

flipstah
08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
yeah, he's probably one of the smartest people you will ever meet. i took 481 with him and honestly thought i might not pass the class cause i was getting maybe 30% tops of the assignments...but i ended up with a B, rofl.

You must've did stellar on the exams right? :thumbsup:

Skyline_Addict
08-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

You must've did stellar on the exams right? :thumbsup:

481 consisted of:

half a dozen assignments, worth 30% IIRC
a research paper, worth 40%
a final exam, worth 30%

I never checked my marks for the research paper or the final exam but I must've did pretty good. But I never thought I did that well. I mean, my paper was BS, I'll admit...and for the final exam there were 2 questions - I know I for sure got 100% on one of the questions, but BS'ed the 2nd one. Still ended up with a B. I'll take that B and run with it, and never look back, haha.

flipstah
09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Thought I'd bump this to see if there are any Beyonders that are taking the class with me.

:)

tobslau
09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
In that class as well
I heard 301 is one of the hardest econ courses so hopefully Oxoby pulls thru

toyboy88
09-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm in 301 with Hollis this term.

Skyline_Addict
09-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
I'm in 301 with Hollis this term.

good luck...

toyboy88
09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

good luck...

I've heard...LOL ;)

I was with Yuan but switched. Though all 3 teachers will be teaching at some point..

:dunno:

Skyline_Addict
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM

I've heard...LOL ;)

I was with Yuan but switched. Though all 3 teachers will be teaching at some point..

he is a nice guy, he is just a horrible teacher.

flipstah
09-10-2008, 04:49 PM

I've heard...LOL ;)

Yeah, Oxoby mentioned that the three profs are going to be interchanging. In retrospect, I guess it doesn't matter which class you're in. Until tests come along.

On a sidenote, is Wiley Plus necessary to purchase? All I bought so far is Aplia and that's it. Textbook isn't really necessary because it's in Aplia.

toyboy88
09-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Yeah, Oxoby mentioned that the three profs are going to be interchanging. In retrospect, I guess it doesn't matter which class you're in. Until tests come along.

On a sidenote, is Wiley Plus necessary to purchase? All I bought so far is Aplia and that's it. Textbook isn't really necessary because it's in Aplia.

Yeah, that's my logic...since all 3 are teaching at some point/section, pretty much just the tests for each class will be different.

I've heard 301 one of, if not THE, hardest ECON classes anyways...and the also Hollis curves his class after pretty good since he admits he's a "bad" teacher himself...

Time will tell! :nut: :nut: