PDA

View Full Version : Software Development

adam c
08-25-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm looking to get into software development. Need to program some stuff at work and perhaps on the side.

What's the best platform to develop on?

Right now I'm using VB for the stuff I do now but I'm not sure that's the best to use

Grogador
08-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Motorola 68000 assembly ftw :thumbsup:

adam c
08-25-2008, 06:42 PM
funny
no seriously

Grogador
08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
What do you want to make? I hear the youngins are into Java these days, or (G)A(Y)SP.net for web crap. I duno. Learn some C?

em2ab
08-25-2008, 07:27 PM
The big ones now are .NET (VB = client side, ASP = server side) and also C++. Those are Microsoft specific for the most part though so you're limiting the servers you can run on. Java is great because it's an easy object oriented language to learn but doesn't produce the most agile GUI. SUN is a bunch of lazy bitches that drop work on every API they touch.

So ya, VB is fine but you might want to look into VB.NET as long as you're starting out.

Stealth22
08-26-2008, 09:38 AM
It really depends on what you're looking to create. If its web software, its between ASP.NET (VB.NET or C#) and PHP. I'm not going to get into a debate between the two; its like Toyota VS Honda, not worth the headache.

If its client-side software, as em2ab said, there are a few choices. Java is an easy language to learn, but performance isn't that great compared to other languages, and its GUI is, well...crap. Besides Java, theres C/C++, and the .NET Framework.

In your situation, I'd recommend VB.NET. When you say 'VB', I'm assuming you mean old-school VB. .NET isn't that complicated to learn; there are differences, but with some skimming over a .NET book or online tutorial, you'll pick it up quickly. With prior knowledge in VB, it's really not much to learn. I picked up the basics in less than a week, and I hadn't done any old-school VB before.

I'd suggest starting by downloading Visual Studio Express 2005 or 2008 (Express is the free version) and start playing around a bit. If you have one of the commercial editions already, that's even better.

khtm
08-26-2008, 09:43 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/express/vcsharp/

adam c
08-26-2008, 09:52 AM
i downloaded the express editions last month but I wasn't sure which one I should program in.

I did VB back in SAIT and I'll be damned if I can remember some of it. High school it was Pascal

Java... I hate Java that was another one at sait..

benyl
08-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by em2ab

snip**

and also C++. Those are Microsoft specific for the most part though so you're limiting the servers you can run on.

C++ is not MS specific at all.

C++ will run on any machine, it just has to be compiled specifically for Win, Unix, OSX, etc...

benyl
08-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by adam c
i downloaded the express editions last month but I wasn't sure which one I should program in.

I did VB back in SAIT and I'll be damned if I can remember some of it. High school it was Pascal

Java... I hate Java that was another one at sait..

If you hate Java, you won't like C#. C# is basically MS version of Java.

VB.net is rapidly evolving into C# as well.

VB.net and C#.net compile into the same code and are the same at run time. The machine you run it on won't know the difference.

badatusrnames
08-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Go COBOL.

Stealth22
08-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by benyl

If you hate Java, you won't like C#. C# is basically MS version of Java.

VB.net is rapidly evolving into C# as well.

VB.net and C#.net compile into the same code and are the same at run time. The machine you run it on won't know the difference.

While that is true, I wouldn't call C# an MS version of Java. I hate Java myself, and I code in C# at work. I actually don't mind C#. The syntax is similar to Java, but its in no way built the same as Java.

If you hate Java, I'd say you may not like C++ very much. At work I mainly use C# for ASP.NET web development, but I have done VB.NET stuff before. If you need more help with .NET stuff, I can help a little.

You can install VB Express, VC# Express and VC++ Express, they won't conflict with each other. Its less hassle to install if you have a commercial edition of Visual Studio, but my point is, if you aren't sure which one to use, you can install any number of the Express Editions.

What kind of stuff are you looking to code? I can help you a bit more if I know what it is that you're trying to do. If you don't remember much VB, it may just be worth going with C#. Not only are you protected in the future if VB.NET is ever dropped (don't know if it will be...I know that many developers are switching from VB to C#), but the syntax is similar to Java, C, and C++. So in the future if you ever have to do programming in one of the other languages, it won't take much to learn the language in question. Slim chance of that happening, yes, but meh :D

benyl
08-26-2008, 11:21 AM
C# evolved from MS's failed attempt to extend Java with Visual J++.

The dude that created C# worked on the J++ project.

C# has roots in C, C++, and Java.

Classes in C# are very Java like. Sure, inheritance patterns and libraries are different, but if you know Java, you can be coding C# in a matter of hours.

joe.inom
08-26-2008, 10:13 PM
if you want serious database management programming , then go for c++ , or some BASIC softwares , orelse if you thing your programm is going to be a lot more design and decorateable type of , try the JAVA or JOOMLA

AndrewMZ3
08-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by joe.inom
if you want serious database management programming , then go for c++ , or some BASIC softwares , orelse if you thing your programm is going to be a lot more design and decorateable type of , try the JAVA or JOOMLA

uhhm... JOOMLA's a CMS not a programming language...

Stealth22
08-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by AndrewMZ3

uhhm... JOOMLA's a CMS not a programming language...

Beyowned :rofl:

snoop101
08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Its not a language, but this company has a free open source game engine.

They also will help you market your games.

Elemental Engine (http://www.signaturedevices.com/)

em2ab
08-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Punchcards are the future. Get a stack of those babies and you're set.