PDA

View Full Version : DisneyWorld

frozenrice
08-25-2008, 08:50 PM
We have two free days in Orlando and I'm wondering if Magic Kingdom is doable in one day (two adults, two kids ages 3 & 8). I'd like to leave the second day to do maybe Animal Kingdom or Sea World.
Any body have any suggestions? I'd like to buy the tickets ASAP.

Supa Dexta
08-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Been a long time since I was there, but we did each place in one day... Plus kids that age have no idea if they miss anything, they are busy the whole time anyways..

mac_82
08-25-2008, 09:04 PM
One theme park per day doable for sure. You can pick up a park-hopper pass and try to squeeze in 2.

dino_martini
08-25-2008, 09:28 PM
One day per park is a good outline. If you pick up a park hopper you might be able to hit two in a day. Just depending how tall your kids are because of height restrictions. There could be some rides that you might skip because of height, that might let you do two parks in a day.

xrayvsn
08-25-2008, 09:33 PM
It is doable, but you will likely have to be choosy about what rides and shows you do. The length of the lines and therefore how many things you can do/see will also depend on when you go. They also have special late openings sometimes, especially if you stay at a Disney hotel. We went before Xmas last year, and paid extra one night for the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas, which basically cuts down on the lineups, and keeps the park open after regular hours only for those with the pass. We got milk and cookies and got to watch the parade and unique fireworks that are different than the regular (but still very spectacular nightly fireworks).

The 8 year old will probably be able to get on all the rides at Magic Kingdom, while the 3 year old is more limited. I had kids between 2 and 8 years old when we went, and we had a great time.

Also, we purchased our tickets online from the undercover tourist. It isn't a huge savings over buying direct from Disney or a travel agent, but basically saves on the sales tax.

frozenrice
08-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. For some reason I was under the impression that Magic Kingdom was two days. I figured if I'm going to drop big coin on passes, I'd like to be able to have some flexibility and not feel obligated to spend the whole time in one park.

mekeni
08-26-2008, 10:50 AM
just make sure when you park-hop, the park has "extended hours" at that day.

Kritafo
08-26-2008, 12:35 PM
It depends on what you want to see...I believe there are several books about doing the MK in specific time frames.

I think you can do it, but it has to be a planned day, get a guide book and plan your day before you get there. Find out which rides you can and cannot do with the 3 year old. Make sure you know which attractions are closed so you don't walk all the way there and find it not open.

Pack your backpack full of waters and snacks, and don't be too disappointed if you get stuck in line-ups

Disney is always busy, there are better times of the year than others. Make sure you get extended stay stuff.

Have fun. If you need any info I have the Frommers Walt Disney world 2008 book. Just PM me any questions. We are taking our kids before Christmas this year. Before that I went every year for Spring Break between the ages of 6 - 17. Mind you that was.. over 15 years ago. I know a lot has changed.

djayz
08-26-2008, 12:42 PM
I was there last year around this time. We did 3 parks 1 a day and had plenty of time at each park.

They have a pass thing called a quick pass...basically you go and get a ticket and you come back before a specified time, wait in line for a few minutes and you go in. Theres no charge you just have to go get the ticket and be there for that time which is pretty good. The longest line we waited in was maybe 30 minutes other than everything was smooth sailing.

It was fairly busy when we were there but if you start early there is plenty of time to get around to all the rides and attractions and as said before pack plenty of water bottles. Freeze them if you can becuase they get warm in 20 minutes if you don't haha.

If you've got some extra coin don't bother lugging the water bottles around and just pick them up in the park. We learned the hardway haha, took a backpack full of water 30 minutes in we all thought we should have a drink, water was piss warm and we ended up having to lug around our empty water bottles everywhere and buying cold water on site.

Eleanor
08-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I went to DW when I was younger and it's easily doable in a day. Do the big rides (Splash/Space Mountain, Big Thunder Valley Railroad) and then hit up the kiddie rides (Dumbo, it's a small word), they aren't nearly as bad of lineups

Kritafo
08-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Okay..yes freeze the bottles. As a family of 4 we took 4 bottles. Not that we were being cheap, but we had better things to waste money on like when we went for grand opening of Epcot and the sweatshirt I bought was over 100.00 that was in 1982.

Even when we did Seattle this year I took bottles of water in the backpack and added the kool aid singles for the kids ice tea for the parents.

xrayvsn
08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
You can bring in your own food and beverages, just as long as they are not in glass containers. The security at the gates will look through your stuff, but they will let you through with most things. You just can't be bringing in a cooler of food and beer.

frozenrice
08-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks for everyone's tips. I've made note of them all. Interesting story though. I tried to book directly with Disney online, but got a message that the quantity of tickets requested was not available and to call their ticket reservation line. Here was the catch, it's not a toll free number. I had to call long distance, was put on hold for about 5mins. Once I got through, "Ludwig" the ticket agent said it was no problem at all to get what I was originally looking for. Strangely enough though, he "couldn't" tell me why the site wouldn't let me book. But here's the worst part though - after I clearly tell him what I want, he then tries to UPSELL me on some special passes for some sort of Halloween themed event. I had to profusely decline as if I was talking to a telemarketer LOL. I never knew until that moment what it meant when people say that Disney is all about marketing.

wardpr68
08-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Hey... if you have any more questions just shoot me a PM... I am a bit of a Disney World fanatic... Been 5 times and just got back yesterday. I can tell you what to do and what not to do and the such.

Grogador
11-19-2008, 01:23 PM
BUMP

So, what else is fun in Orlando? Not huge into the amusement park thing, looking for cool clubs, bars, pubs or any geeky stuff like ILM studios (they're elsewhere, d'oh), stuff like that.

dino_martini
11-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
BUMP

So, what else is fun in Orlando? Not huge into the amusement park thing, looking for cool clubs, bars, pubs or any geeky stuff like ILM studios (they're elsewhere, d'oh), stuff like that.

If your into clubs, bars, pubs, skip Orlando. Miami has all that stuff.