PDA

View Full Version : Can you get a VAT refund

The Cosworth
08-26-2008, 08:33 AM
I was looking on this website what VAT was (I was booking my hotel and they kept talking about it)

and it says that:

Thus, goods which are sold for export or services which are sold to customers abroad are normally not subject to VAT.

source: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/index_en.htm

Seeing as my hotel had VAT charged into it, does that mean at some point I can apply for a refund?

Grogador
08-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Google is your friend (http://www.google.ca/search?q=vat+refund), like this (http://traveltax.msu.edu/vat/vat.htm)

Same idea as GST refunds for foreign tourists to Canada.

The Cosworth
08-26-2008, 09:13 AM
^^ I did google it but nothing came up for Canada when I did

Thanks!

buh_buh
08-26-2008, 09:14 AM
you get it back at the airport when you leave Europe regardless of which country in Europe its from. Just make sure they fill out the VAT form and keep your receipt.

/////AMG
08-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Good thing you know about it. They usually never add VAT afterwards. It's usually already added into the price.
17.5% is a big chunk, I'd want it back too. :thumbsup:

l/l/rX
08-26-2008, 01:40 PM
I believe you can only claim VAT on anything more than 35 of whatever currency you spent on.
For me when i was in London, I found out that anything less than $150 pounds was not worth claiming VAT for. Cuz by the time you get CHARGED all the bloody fees from the store (getting the VAT form), and then once you get to the airport and actually get your money back, they yet again charge you ANOTHER fee.

Well anyways let me give you an example, i claimed about 1300 pounds worth of stuff, i received 118 pounds back.

The Cosworth
08-26-2008, 03:33 PM
update, i also found out that unless your a business traveller you cant do it on hotels or cars

:(

bigboom
09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
I believe you can only claim VAT on anything more than 35 of whatever currency you spent on.
For me when i was in London, I found out that anything less than $150 pounds was not worth claiming VAT for. Cuz by the time you get CHARGED all the bloody fees from the store (getting the VAT form), and then once you get to the airport and actually get your money back, they yet again charge you ANOTHER fee.

Well anyways let me give you an example, i claimed about 1300 pounds worth of stuff, i received 118 pounds back.

with my VAT refund i only got charged a 3 pound fee from the VAT export office and wasnt charged anything for getting the VAT refund form from the store so i guess it depends on where you shop.

gkAeris
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
question

what about purchasing stuff in vancouver and paying PST, can you get that back?

The Cosworth
09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
^^ no, BC threatened to charge BC residence PST on things bought outside BC a few years ago.

Alberta turned around and said they would then chase the BC government to refund PST to their residents.

That is as far as it went

rc2002
09-02-2008, 05:12 PM
This won't hold true for the hotel, but if you buy goods and want to claim VAT, make sure you leave ample time.

The line up to collect VAT was longer than the check-in lines at the airport.

The London Heathrow airport only charges a L2.30 fee.

l/l/rX
09-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
This won't hold true for the hotel, but if you buy goods and want to claim VAT, make sure you leave ample time.

The line up to collect VAT was longer than the check-in lines at the airport.

The London Heathrow airport only charges a L2.30 fee.

hrm thats weird. When i went to go get the VAT form at this high end department store for my friends Chanel purse, they had charged me for the form, then i was also charged something else when getting my money back.

rc2002
09-03-2008, 09:14 AM
^ Sounds like you got jacked. The store is supposed to give you the form for free when you make the purchase. Then you get charged a flat L2.30 fee if you want to collect cash at the airport.

Some stores give you a postage paid envelope too and you can send in for your refund as well and you don't have to pay the L2.30 fee.