PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network

needforspeed
08-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Hello everyone. So I need some ideas here.

My wireless router is in the basement at home in my server room. But their are some areas in the house where the signal's are not as good as I like. What would you recommed I do? I have tried changing the channels and everything too.

Thanks everyone

adam c
08-26-2008, 11:13 AM
get a bigger antenna for starters

TYMSMNY
08-26-2008, 11:22 AM
You can get a signal extender for your basement router...

You can get an antenna extender for your wireless card...

easiest two ways I think... besides moving your wireless router upstairs.

d4ftpuNK
08-26-2008, 01:46 PM
what type of router is it?

needforspeed
08-26-2008, 01:48 PM
linksys g

TYMSMNY
08-26-2008, 01:56 PM
You could always up the ante and change it all to N. $$ though... I don't think it'll change much though. I personally still run a G network for my iphone but the comps are all hardwired into the route.

needforspeed
08-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I have a dlink extreme N put iam not using it right now because it doens't work will all my computers. It hates some of the g cards.

Grogador
08-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Can you move the router to the main floor? Otherwise a repeater or a 2nd router is probably your best bet. Considering the cost of antennas and the fact it'll change the coverage pattern, it's probably not worth it. You could leave one omni-directional rubber ducky and add a second patch-style antenna pointing up... but... cost... pain in the ass.

Edit: looking at prices, an antenna will cost more than a router/repeater...

needforspeed
08-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I would like to keep the first router down stairs in my server room. I could always install something up stairs. But every place that is a great spot their is no damn plug. Thats why iam having a hard time with it. But hey iam oepn for ideas. maybe I will ahve to find a better spot for a router up stairs.

Grogador
08-26-2008, 02:25 PM
This (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX2005(ME).aspx) doesn't need a network plug. The antennas (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/Computers(ME)/NetworkingHardware(ME)/NetworkingWireless(ME)/WirelessExtenders(ME)/Default.aspx) you could use are hella expensive, comparatively.

The cheapest option would probably be an old Linksys router with something like this (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater).

dr_jared88
08-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't recommend wasting your money on a bigger antenna. Chances are you bottle neck is on the antenna on the device you are using, not the router. Meaning your router may be able to send data farther and your laptop or whatever you are using may be able to receive data farther but you laptop still won't be able to be able to send data back. Chances are you won't get much of an improvement with an antenna unless you upgrade at both locations.

Best bet is to move the router.

needforspeed
08-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I like. That would work. But 89 at memory express. Not sure if i want to pay that. Think it is a good price?

benyl
08-26-2008, 02:28 PM
My house is hardwired to most rooms.

I have a wired VPN router / switch in the basement.
I run a wireless router on the main floor and the another on the top floor.

Makes for some interesting administration for sharing printers and and opening ports, but it works.

needforspeed
08-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Would the wall plug powerline's work? So if i was to get about 4 and plug them in the wall around the main floor.

Grogador
08-26-2008, 02:31 PM
WiFi blows, suck it up and drop CAT5e down the cold-air return into your basement :thumbsup:

needforspeed
08-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah. My next house will have all the wires you could ever want in every room.

Grogador
08-26-2008, 02:34 PM
^ they usually do nowadays, it's sweet

Hey, what kind of phone wiring do you have? Lots of houses are wired with CAT5 these days, just have RJ11 jacks... replace them with RJ45 and you're good to go (and wire them into your switch obviously). Otherwise, you can still run 10mbit on CAT3, which is fast enough for internet.

Thaco
08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
i got some 10dbi antennas from ebay and with my router in the basement i can hit it from 2 blocks away :)

d4ftpuNK
08-26-2008, 06:38 PM
you could also try putting custom firmware on your router, which can boost the signal.

http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

try it out if you like, i have i installed on my WRT54GL and it works great. also dont put it up to high or else you will fry your router, just check out the dd-wrt forums to see how much people boost the xmit power too.

syscal
08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I have a Linksys G Range Extender (WRE54G) you can snag for $45

New at memx for $89 and barely used for a couple weeks.