PDA

View Full Version : Shock seem to have gone out

Thompson34
08-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Went camping this past weekend and had 3 people in my car plus all our gear. It wasn't super packed but there was without a doubt 600-700 pounds in my Civic.

We had to take a gravel road for about 10-15 minutes and I think this is where the problem started. When I drive now, whenever a bump is it there is a squeak sound.

Now, I want to do some things to my car down the road to make her look nice, so I was thinking maybe some lowering springs. But with this means I cant put a load of stuff in my car and go to BC for the weekend?

Also, what kind of price would I be looking at for lowering shocks or whatever they are called.

vtec4life
08-26-2008, 11:18 AM
depends how quality of a job you want done.. springs are cheap but shocks are not, and if you get shocks you gotta get springs.

correct me if im wrong ^

you could also do coilovers, so i would research and find out what best suits your needs

Mr_ET
08-26-2008, 11:22 AM
What you seem to be describing is your shocks are in the process of going out so installing lowering springs will only make things worse.

I would visually inspect the shocks to see if they are leaking and if they are, it might be time to start looking for either oem replacements or a shock/spring combo.

Aside from the squeaking sound, does the suspension now feel more bouncy over bumps?

Thompson34
08-26-2008, 11:24 AM
I have not noticed the car being more bouncy, just the sound caught my attention.

I'd probably go for the shock/spring combo, just to get everything done and over with.

bituerbo
08-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Your best bet for street driving is a progressive rate spring/strut combo. The strut is the shock absorber. With an aggressive and lower spring the shock is then forced to work outside it's normal operating range of travel - the piston isn't meant to sit in that position for prolonged periords. Also, with the springs being stiffer the stock shocks (without being revalved) would provide a shit-tacular ride.

Buying complete kits, either full 1-piece coilovers or a strut/spring combo you're getting two products that you know will work well together.

Avoid perch-style coilovers, they are typically poorly made and what you gain in adjustability you lose in ride-comfort and ride-quality.

You will be spending at least $300 on parts and $300 on labour for struts from the dealership, probably more. For $700 (eBay) you can get a skunk2 coilover and do the install yourself - with a full coilover system you'll get new strut mounts, meaning unbolt your old strut mount (3 nuts) and your lower strut bolt (1 bolt) for each corner and it's installed - no need for a spring compressor. If you can remove a wheel you can do this install yourself. Just don't remove the top centre nut (the one holding the strut to the upper strut mount) and you won't kill yourself. I had a close call with this once, put a strut mount through the roof of my garage as I didn't fully relieve the pressure of the spring with the compressor.

Thompson34
08-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Bituerbo. Sounds like a good project for me and a buddy to do sometime soon and I'll be able to learn more about my car. IS there a chaper way then skunk2? But still recommended by people here?

bituerbo
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
You can probably get a spring/strut combo for cheaper, something like Koni or Eibach. In the long run a full coilover is going to be more reliable, as it comes with a new, tougher strut mount, which when you stiffen your suspension will take a rough beating.

Suspension is a fairly easy project. If you have a buddy helping, and it's your first time, you could do it in 4hrs if you REALLY dragged ass and took your time. I can disassemble in 15 minutes/corner by myself when I'm in a hurry to change out spring rates.

Edit: if you're going with a spring/strut combo you WILL need a coil spring compressor tool for both removal and reinstallation. Canadian Tire rents these out with only a deposit on your credit card which you get back when you return it.

Thompson34
08-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Are there cheaper full coilovers? The kit is 700 bucks and shipping is another 100. Or is skunk2 the only full coilover kits available.