PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Police

Stealth22
08-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I did do a search about this and found a couple of topics, but my question didn't really fit with any of them.

I'm almost 21, attending the U of C...considering applying to the CPS when I'm finished university. My driving record is clean, I've never done drugs, 100% clean, yada yada yada.

Here's where the problem is: I'm possibly one of the slowest runners in the world. I'm just not as strong as some people. I was wondering are there any police officers on Beyond that could give me tips on how to prepare for the PARE? (I wouldn't be applying for another year or two probably)

Also, there's the danger factor of the job. I'm not too concerned about it since I've been told that police work is not as dangerous as we make it out to be on TV. But how is the CPS in terms of when you're a assigned to a shift as a newly trained officer, would they throw you by yourself on the night shift? I know for your field training, obviously you'd be with a training officer. But after that period of training, what is the atmosphere of the job like?

Am I making any sense here? :dunno:

89s1
08-26-2008, 12:17 PM
*Note to self. Don't say anything incriminating around Stealth22*

But in all seriousness. Train for what you will be doing. if you are a slow runner, then run uphill and push yourself to get stronger. Or you could get a running parachute.

adam c
08-26-2008, 12:37 PM
work out, that will be your best option

don't go for big but go for lean, work on your legs and endurance. do wind sprints until you can't take it anymore and then keep doing them.

run everyday, eventually start using a bag and put weights in it

watch the people that do endurance challenges and see how they prepare and train

Kloubek
08-26-2008, 12:38 PM
My 2 cents:

You're planning on entering a field which will require you to be physical at one point or another. It's great if you train yourself to pass the test. But it really should not stop there.

As someone who is going to potentially subject himself to life-or-death situations if you do become an officer, I would suggest that a lot of training - even after you pass the test - would be in order. It would suck to get hired, then end up getting beaten to death because you couldn't defend yourself against a drunk woman with a gunt.

Good luck!

alloroc
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Fights are common. I have several close freinds who are cps and hear lots of stories.

Not only do you have to protect yourself but also your equipment (ie) fending off someone trying to take your gun in a fight and you have to be super careful in how you 'escallate' from hands to baton or taser to weapon at the same time.

revelations
08-26-2008, 01:03 PM
I went to one of those PARE orientation session they hold downtown at the gym. I'd recommend that - as you get to do all the testing without being marked.

Apparently pullups give most recruits the greatest difficulty (as opposed to chin ups) so practice those. Also work on your core strenght (situps arent enough - there are specific workouts they will show you).

I am ex-RCMP. The job will be highly variable depending on what area of the city you will be placed in. If you want to be (and you will be give a choice) placed in "the lawn" then expect lots of little shit "files" to deal with (noise complaint, common assaults, uttering threats, willful damage, mischief) ..... vs being in the deep south where it will be quiet - generally - unless you have some douche side swiping 1/2 dozen vehicles in his 1-ton flat bed.

rmk
08-26-2008, 01:04 PM
PM DayGlow or phil98z24

Both are good guys

A790
08-26-2008, 01:16 PM
I wanted to join the CPS for a long time (see sig). I have a lot of respect for cops, especially because most people don't. It's hard doing what no one ever wants you to do until they need you to save their ass.

civic_stylez
08-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I have done the PARE exam... it doesnt seem like much when you see the course and alot of people tend to go as fast as they can off the start and burn themselves out very fast.... the push/pull is a bit of a nightmare if you are not in good shape. I would recommend doing sprints and cardio to the point where you can go about 75% effort for 4 minutes straight. Dont get too nervous before the test either! They check your blood pressure and the guy beside me was so nervous that his blood pressure was too high and they wouldnt let him take it. If you do make the force you will be assigned to a higher ranking officer for a period of time.

alloroc
08-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by A790
I have a lot of respect for cops, especially because most people don't. It's hard doing what no one ever wants you to do until they need you to save their ass.

I respect the men totally. It is a job I know I can no do and total kudos to anyone who even contemplates that career.

The system and how they are deployed however just makes me shake my head.

revelations
08-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
The system and how they are deployed however just makes me shake my head.

Can you be more specific? (you mean the 6 mo. of training of the time period afterwards)

Stealth22
08-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the comments, all! Definitely going to check out one of those PARE orientation sessions.

Any CPS officers on here who can comment on the atmosphere of the job for new recruits?

I did the Student Police Academy when I was in high school..when it was over, wanted to go back and do all the simulated calls again! Been planning to go on a ride-along since then, never got a chance. Do I just call my district office for that?

harv91
08-26-2008, 07:06 PM
contact mount royal continuing education man, they have a program called Police Studies, they baisically cover all issues that relate to policing and give you an inside look of the life of a police officer.
I took that course and i really enjoyed the content. I would really recommend taking this course if your considering policing.

jay42w8
08-26-2008, 08:14 PM
^ that's an awesome tip!...how much is the course?

Does anyone know when the next Recruitment Info session is?

The Cosworth
08-26-2008, 08:18 PM
PARE test seemed pretty hard when I went and watched my cousin run it.

He is in pretty good shape (but is 35) and he passed it, but looked like he was going to die.

rmk
08-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Just for interest sake, can someone post the PARE test? It would be cool to try and emulate it at the gym.

LegendRacer
08-26-2008, 08:28 PM
the pare test looks easy as Fcuk

u have never had boot camp training/screwing people over

30 minutes of non stop musle straining, exercises, u start breathing like a horse after 3 minutes, then the last 3 minutes u feel like ur floating...

then cool off is like 20 minutes of jogging...

Stealth22
08-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Did some investigating on the CPS Recruiting site...

PARE Demo Video: http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com/cps_recruiting/files/3_pare_components.wmv

Selection Process:
http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com/cps_recruiting/selection_process/

Info Sessions:
http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com/cps_recruiting/information_sessions/index.html

harv91
08-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by jay42w8
^ that's an awesome tip!...how much is the course?

Does anyone know when the next Recruitment Info session is?

http://conted.mtroyal.ca/policestudies/
Thats the link for the website, theres 6 classes that you can take in any order, usually when 1 class finishes the next one starts.
They are usually on Tues. & Thurs. from like 6:00pm til 9:00pm. Very informative, i was considering policing and was enrolled in Criminal Justice at MRC, but i talked to a professor and he recommeneded i do the course.
You don't NEED this to become an officer but its a great course to take and i really recommend it if your serious about being a police officer.

Bimmer88
08-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Is the PARE test the same as the BEEP test?

and has gang shootings and killings lately made you want to join the CPS?

Man I see shit happen everynight and I can't apprehend NOBODY cause I'm a civillian... which is pretty gay IMO. because if you have a bunch of vandels you want to catch them rather than let them go because their minors?

trevh
08-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22
Thanks for the comments, all! Definitely going to check out one of those PARE orientation sessions.

Any CPS officers on here who can comment on the atmosphere of the job for new recruits?

I did the Student Police Academy when I was in high school..when it was over, wanted to go back and do all the simulated calls again! Been planning to go on a ride-along since then, never got a chance. Do I just call my district office for that?

I was looking into doing a ride along with the police weeks ago, you cannot do a ride along unless you have applied for CPS. I was looking into this through someone that currently does office work for all CPS members of the traffic unit.

As for doing the PARE exam, if you want something bad enough train for it! Remember, during training daily 5 km runs are very common so prepare for that. Stay in shape, you will do fine.

jay42w8
08-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
Is the PARE test the same as the BEEP test?

and has gang shootings and killings lately made you want to join the CPS?

Man I see shit happen everynight and I can't apprehend NOBODY cause I'm a civillian... which is pretty gay IMO. because if you have a bunch of vandels you want to catch them rather than let them go because their minors?

This is one of the biggest reasons why I choose right now not to pursue this career...it's the most thankless job ever...between the criminals who are having increasingly less and less respect for authority and the bleeding heart Liberals that have their back if you so much as scratch them...why do it? I think you go into wanting to make a change and help people but reality of our Canadian society will reveal itself pretty quickly...my buddy is part of EPS and man is he ever bitter lol.

Davetronz
08-26-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm also starting the application process. It something I've always wanted to do. I have a stable career right now, so if I don't get the position, I'll take it as a sign, if I get it, then I will go from there.

revelations
08-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by jay42w8

This is one of the biggest reasons why I choose right now not to pursue this career...it's the most thankless job ever...between the criminals who are having increasingly less and less respect for authority and the bleeding heart Liberals that have their back if you so much as scratch them...why do it? I think you go into wanting to make a change and help people but reality of our Canadian society will reveal itself pretty quickly...my buddy is part of EPS and man is he ever bitter lol.

In a given shift, you might deal with 9 assholes, but its that one person who you were able to offer genuine assistance, and was grateful, that makes the job/shift worthwhile.

A career with a the emergency services is not something you do primarily because you get paid - you do it because you want to help people and make difference.

Myself, I like encountering and dealing with people which makes the job a part of what I enjoy doing - and why it was worth it.

Make no mistake about it, the job becomes your life and some people find it hard to turn it off after a shift.

jay42w8
08-26-2008, 11:16 PM
^ that's what I figured lol...I dunno, maybe I'm just not in a point in my life where I'm ready to be that person yet. I admire what you guys do though. :thumbsup:

Stealth22
08-27-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm going to be in the area of my local district office later today so I might stop in and ask a couple questions if they don't appear to be too busy. I'll ask about the ridealong, see if they'll allow it; I'm not going to apply for at least another 2 years, but I'd like to get an inside look before I do, just so I can see what its actually like.

And someone asked if the recent surge in violence has me wanting to become a police officer; the answer is no. I've been thinking about it since I was a kid, watching a cruiser fly by with his lights going. Every time I catch sight of a police cruiser the thought crosses my mind. I'm still in university so I've got some time, but its weird...I picked the degree to shoot for and everything, and I'm still not sure what I want to do for a living.

But I'll go the route that Davetronz is going...after working on my strength and endurance while I finish my degree, I'll give it a shot. If I get in, cool. If I don't, well..I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I'll talk to my district office and/or the recruiting unit and see what they say. I'll post here again when I do for anyone else who's considering the CPS for a career.

whodiman
08-27-2008, 04:08 PM
I did the PARE years ago when I was in better than average shape. From what I found was as long as you have good cardiovascular it should be really easy. I only weighed about 140 and the weight part was easy as pie. This is also probably why I found it easy as I was a really good runner then too. Several of us beat the required time by over a full minute.

I saw a few huge guys doing it and they really struggled because of the running (includes jumping over small obstacles and going up stairs). The obstacles are really easy but they definitely wear you down a bit as you can't just jog at a steady pace. I would say if you can jog 5km in under 25min it shouldn't be too tough.

italianunit
09-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Did some investigating on the CPS Recruiting site...

PARE Demo Video: http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com/cps_recruiting/files/3_pare_components.wmv

Selection Process:
http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com/cps_recruiting/selection_process/

Info Sessions:
http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com/cps_recruiting/information_sessions/index.html

The Video... Is that all the PARE is?

I was on the eliptical today and was able to do 3 miles in 20 Mins
With one Min of going hard every 6 mins with the 19th minnute going full out. I am not a small guy by any means, but I think I could do this... however, I am still trying to get my Neck recovered from the car accident in November. It doesnt limit me from working out, driving, playing golf, dodgeball hockey etc... i just have a constant ache on the lower left base of my skull.

My back is fine. I can do all the above including baseball and swimming with no pain afterwards.

zarge
09-03-2008, 12:25 AM
i smoke pot like once or twice a year.. have an impaired like 4 years ago... Can i apply even if I quit smoking weed completely?

SteveyBoy
09-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by zarge
i smoke pot like once or twice a year.. have an impaired like 4 years ago... Can i apply even if I quit smoking weed completely?

You can't be involved in any criminal activities; pot, drunk driving, sex with someone too young etc. for at least 3 years prior to being hired on the force.
Tickets aren't to big of a deal but try and keep them to a minimum, don't ever do any hard drugs or you'll never be excepted.
There is a lie detector test, so if you have been involved in any criminal activities they'll find out. You won't be charged but you'll have to wait longer.

Another thing, don't limit yourself to just the City Police.
Sheriffs, RCMP, Federal Polices on the east side of Canada, and even local Peace Officers are all hiring with slightly different hiring standards.

Do your research and figure out which one suites your lifestyle and your self best.

A degree in Criminology would be a valuable asset if you plan on spending any time at university. Also keep in mind the average hiring age is between 29 & 33, so you may have a little more time to prepare yourself for a great choice.

LegendRacer
09-04-2008, 04:00 AM
university of calgary does not offer criminology... (i think)

the police study thing for MRC sounds interesting.. 6 courses and 3 online courses..

can be finished in 1 years time, technically fall and winter semi

but a degree in criminology sounds alot better, if you apply for police force, you wont have to be the ones giving out tickets or catchin photos. Not sure what the rankings of the calgary police is, but im sure you wont have to do the jobs that citizens hate you for. Inspector? or Lieu? someone enlighten me

phil98z24
10-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Holy, not sure how I missed this thread... When I have some time, I will answer some questions for those of you who posed them. We are always looking for good people, and I'm sure there are more than a few Beyonders who would be excellent cops.

Stealth22, I PM'ed you buddy.

rc2002
10-07-2008, 11:05 PM
How do people move through the constables 1st through 5th? Is it a certain amount of experience needed before you can move up?

Is it true you can become a 1st class constable with as few as 3 years of experience?

kaput
10-08-2008, 09:43 AM

hrdkore
10-08-2008, 09:46 AM
you go to police academy and they train you??

Tik-Tok
10-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by kaput
Does anyone know how strict the no criminal activity for 3 years rule is? Specifically, I download music. Thats a grey area, who knows what their stance is on that?

Downloading music isn't illegal. Sharing it is.

prae
10-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Does anyone know how strict the no criminal activity for 3 years rule is? Specifically, I download music. Thats a grey area, who knows what their stance is on that?

:rofl: I can just imagine the lie detector test.

Have you downloaded any Metallica albums?

errru hmmmm no!!!

Stealth22
10-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
How do people move through the constables 1st through 5th? Is it a certain amount of experience needed before you can move up?

Is it true you can become a 1st class constable with as few as 3 years of experience?

You start as a 5th class constable..as far as I know, you move up a class with each year of experience on the street. phil98z24 can probably answer that question better. Btw phil, check your PM :thumbsup:

Judging by the application PDF, its strict on 3 years. But they stress that each person is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. That being said, I don't think they'd care too much about you downloading music. Especially since it isn't technically illegal in Canada. Sharing music is though. Just don't hide it, because they'll probably figure it out. If you tell them everything, it makes you look like an honest person with good character, etc..which is what they're looking for in a police officer.

tm88
10-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Wow i was about to flame for bumping a month old thread, but then i got interested lol.
I honestly would love to become a officer for a month. I love real estate to much to leave it but always thought it would be neat to be a policeman. Ever since i was 2.

Tik-Tok
10-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by tm88
Wow i was about to flame for bumping a month old thread, but then i got interested lol.
I honestly would love to become a officer for a month. I love real estate to much to leave it but always thought it would be neat to be a policeman. Ever since i was 2.

Yeah, as much as I respect (most) officers, I could never be one. To have the 80% of the people you're sworn to protect, hate your guts. That's gotta create a lot of personal issues.

phil98z24
10-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

You move up every year, based on your date of hire. The 1st class constable pay grade can be and has been assigned to new hires who have considerable past experience, such as the guys we are bringing over from the UK.

Regarding downloads of music: big grey area, but technically it is not illegal to download it... but sharing it is. Remember this: the disclosure PDF isn't just about illegal activity, it's about ethics and morals. If you feel that downloading music is wrong, but continue to do it anyways - this is something that could hamper you when it comes to a question of your ethics. All of these documents are seen by many eyes, including your polygraph examiner who can gong you if he feels you are being deceitful or saying things contrary to your disclosure package. For those of you who are applying or thinking about it: Be 100% honest. Things that you think are a big deal may not be, but you need to be honest about it first.

The PARE.. the glorious PARE. It looks easy, but it isn't. IF you have good cardio and a fair amount of strength, you will do just fine. The RCMP has a good conditioning program on their website, but I think it's a bit much. The U of C has some good conditioning classes as well, and I think they are beneficial. As long as you can pass the PARE when you get in, you will be able to pass it with flying colors by the time you leave classes. There is a grueling fitness regimen as part of recruit training, and it will motivate you to stay fit long after leaving classes. When you see what you are capable of and how easily you can get into shape, you will want to stay that way.

For those of you who may be considering it, it's an awesome career with alot of benefits. Good pay, good benefits, a progressive organization with the latest in technology, great coworkers, and a good shift schedule (just went to a 4 on 4 off sched, and it rocks). It has its share of crappy moments just like anything, but for the most part it is one of those jobs that alot of guys who are 10 years in still stay: "I can't believe I'm getting paid to do this."

rc2002
10-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24

You move up every year, based on your date of hire. The 1st class constable pay grade can be and has been assigned to new hires who have considerable past experience, such as the guys we are bringing over from the UK.

Thanks for the info. The reason why I ask is because I was listening in on some conversations about salaries and people were talking about how after 3 years the constables were making $75k+/year.

For the things they have to put up with, I personally don't think they get paid enough.

DayGlow
10-09-2008, 05:57 AM
I did do a search about this and found a couple of topics, but my question didn't really fit with any of them.

I'm almost 21, attending the U of C...considering applying to the CPS when I'm finished university. My driving record is clean, I've never done drugs, 100% clean, yada yada yada.

Here's where the problem is: I'm possibly one of the slowest runners in the world. I'm just not as strong as some people. I was wondering are there any police officers on Beyond that could give me tips on how to prepare for the PARE? (I wouldn't be applying for another year or two probably)

Also, there's the danger factor of the job. I'm not too concerned about it since I've been told that police work is not as dangerous as we make it out to be on TV. But how is the CPS in terms of when you're a assigned to a shift as a newly trained officer, would they throw you by yourself on the night shift? I know for your field training, obviously you'd be with a training officer. But after that period of training, what is the atmosphere of the job like?

Am I making any sense here? :dunno:

The PARE isn't that monstrous if you train for it. I find the biggest obstacle of the whole thing is the drops you do between laps. It sucks all of your momentum and makes the laps that much harder. Also the stairs really pay a toll after a few laps if you don't train for them. I know people that do a lot of level running and it hurts them in the pair.

Once you are out of class you are considered a police officer. The reality is that you could be in a lethal force confrontation your first day so you have to be prepared for it. You are with a Police Training Officer for your first 12 weeks, but after that if the numbers are down you may have to work a single car. I know a lot of the districts have single cars during the day and partnerships at night. Its a point of contention with the association, but the reality is that there are some cars that are single officers at night and once you are off of your training officer you are no different than anyone else, so it could be you.

As for the atmosphere of the job, it varies to who is around you and how you decide to listen to. There are tons of highly motivated people that love the job to a select group of people that are twisted and bitter to wards management and the whole spectrum in between. If you choose to hang out with and listen to the twisted people, then they will influence you. In the whole, I think that the majority of people do enjoy their work, like to have fun and are good to be around.

Stealth22
10-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info, DayGlow. I'm not really worried about the night-shift-alone thing now...I was talking to phil98z24 via PM, and he told me even though you might be working alone as a new officer on a night shift, theres a lot of support for new guys, so you never feel like you're alone out there.

When you're taken on as a new recruit, whats the process for getting assigned to a district? Do they just stick you wherever the hell they want to, or do you get some choice in the matter?

rmk
10-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, as much as I respect (most) officers, I could never be one. To have the 80% of the people you're sworn to protect, hate your guts. That's gotta create a lot of personal issues.

:werd: I really considered joining and even had the application printed off, but I realized that I would probably end up letting everyone off with a warning unless they did something real stupid... also if confronted with a real jackass, i'd probably beat the shit out of him. :)

The cool thing about that career is that there are a ton of cool positions to experience within if you choose to do so. Detective, commercial crime, Tactical, Canine.

Stealth22
10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by rmk

:werd: I really considered joining and even had the application printed off, but I realized that I would probably end up letting everyone off with a warning unless they did something real stupid... also if confronted with a real jackass, i'd probably beat the shit out of him. :)

The cool thing about that career is that there are a ton of cool positions to experience within if you choose to do so. Detective, commercial crime, Tactical, Canine.

I'll go through with the application if you do it too :rofl:

DayGlow
10-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info, DayGlow. I'm not really worried about the night-shift-alone thing now...I was talking to phil98z24 via PM, and he told me even though you might be working alone as a new officer on a night shift, theres a lot of support for new guys, so you never feel like you're alone out there.

When you're taken on as a new recruit, whats the process for getting assigned to a district? Do they just stick you wherever the hell they want to, or do you get some choice in the matter?

when I went through we were asked for our top 3 districts and they tried to find a place in those for you, but in the end it is the needs of the service. Sometimes when a class comes out a district isn't accepting any new positions, or a lot go to a single district, depending on manpower. Each district is allotted a certain amount of people and classes are used to top that up. Very rarely will you not get your top three though.

88jbody
10-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I respect all CPS...except when they are at my drivers window

Stealth22
10-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
when I went through we were asked for our top 3 districts and they tried to find a place in those for you, but in the end it is the needs of the service. Sometimes when a class comes out a district isn't accepting any new positions, or a lot go to a single district, depending on manpower. Each district is allotted a certain amount of people and classes are used to top that up. Very rarely will you not get your top three though.

Alright, thanks. I'll think it over and see how things go.

Anyone else want to send in an application with me, let me know :thumbsup: :rofl:

EDIT: DayGlow and phil98z24...with all the talk thats been going on about new funding allotted/requested for getting new police officers on the street, how do you guys think recruiting will be affected? Will it be a tad easier to get on the force in the next two or three years, or to get into the district of your choice?

The Cosworth
10-10-2008, 08:55 AM
phil and dayglow pm'd

Stealth22
10-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Found these two videos earlier today, forgot to post em...they relate to the subject, and the Rick Mercer one is funny :rofl:

CPS Recruiting
tUxKlbDCKQI

Rick Mercer joins the RCMP
ak-BoQiDImE

RickDaTuner
10-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Random question,

what its the quit rate of Law Enforcement type people, and when they do quit is there any special procedure, or monitoring that these individuals receive?

pinoyhero
10-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Google it, crossfit the the best program for law enforcement and fire fighters, start the program, and take it and a diet very seriously and you should have no sweat with the PARE.

revelations
10-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Random question,

what its the quit rate of Law Enforcement type people, and when they do quit is there any special procedure, or monitoring that these individuals receive?

They can receive a pension of they are eligible for it, other than that there was no special policy with the RCMP upon termination of employment that I was aware of (save for confidentiality agreements).

I've found that most people who become LEOs as their first career tend to be less successful than those who've had experience prior - ie the older you are when you join the less likely you are to quit.

adam c
10-11-2008, 10:13 PM
what kind of questions do they ask in the poly?

would things in my past affect the present?

Davetronz
10-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by adam c

They pretty much ask you all, or a set of the questions on the employment application security clearance paperwork.

Yes, things you did in the past affect your chances of getting hired onto the force in the present.

Stealth22
10-12-2008, 12:36 AM

I haven't been through it, so not sure. But from what I've been told, they can ask you anything.

Depends what you did...I believe you have to be clear of all illegal activity for 3 years though. Again, its case-by-case..so you never really know.

By the way, I did go on a ridealong w/ CPS...anyone has questions, shoot me a PM...although DayGlow or phil98z24 are CPS, so they could answer better probably.

kaput
10-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Davetronz
10-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Well, the ride-a-long is done.
Paperwork for the application is done.
Doctors Physical and Optometrist are next.
Then the PARE.

I hope to have the entire package submitted by the end of October.

During the application process, I might see if I can contact the volunteer unit and see if there is anything I can do in the meantime to stay "involved" and get some more experience.

DayGlow and phil98z24, what district offices are you working out of? How long have you both been CPS members for?

Davetronz
10-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Its the sheep sex questions that get most people on the polygraph
Just remember... Real sheep are a prosecutable offense, inflatable sheep in the privacy of your own home are your own business.

MikeAg
10-14-2008, 11:22 AM
I would just recommend endurance training.

phil98z24
10-14-2008, 12:50 PM

They will ask you anything you can imagine, and then all the things that you couldn't imagine. It's pretty intense, and very thorough. I felt like a criminal walking out of mine... but it was an interesting experience.

phil98z24
10-14-2008, 12:52 PM

adam c
10-14-2008, 01:08 PM
i checked out the application form online and wow, there's stuff on there I would never be able to answer

like people i have lived with? how am I supposed to remember things like that????

I would apply, but questions like those where I actually can't remember and things I've done when I was younger make me concerned

240SX92
10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm also looking to apply to be a police officer, but even the thought of a lie detector when I haven't done anything wrong worries me. I'm a naturally nervous guy, so I'll naturally be nervous for a test that drills your personality. I'd say i'm a very moral and ethical guy, but I can bet money I would be nervous as shit in that test, wouldn't this affect the answers / outcome? Say they ask a question, and I tell the truth, but being nervous the test shows a fluctuation? Is that possible or what? The whole thing is based off jumps in blood pressure and heartbeats isn't it?

ekcondon
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
I think you would be fine, Polygraph technicians are trained to tell the difference between actual lies and just nervous reactions, apparently there is quite a difference on the graph itself when someone is nervous and someone is lying so I wouldn't worry about it. Had a friend that just became an RCMP officer and they told him about how the techs are trained to tell the difference. Best of luck!

240SX92
10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Hahah hearing that right there will probably calm my nerves a ton, so I really appreciate that. :thumbsup:

zipdoa
10-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Somehow I think I could lie my ass off on a polygraph and still pass. Doesn't it measure blood pressure and heart rate, etc? So if someone is completely calm, and is completely unfased by any questions thrown at them, wouldn't it be impossible to tell if they're lying?

example:

Ask me if I'm canadian. I'll say no. I bet the machine couldn't tell you i'm lying.

phil98z24
10-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by 240SX92
I'm also looking to apply to be a police officer, but even the thought of a lie detector when I haven't done anything wrong worries me. I'm a naturally nervous guy, so I'll naturally be nervous for a test that drills your personality. I'd say i'm a very moral and ethical guy, but I can bet money I would be nervous as shit in that test, wouldn't this affect the answers / outcome? Say they ask a question, and I tell the truth, but being nervous the test shows a fluctuation? Is that possible or what? The whole thing is based off jumps in blood pressure and heartbeats isn't it?

They take a baseline, and do a bunch of things before the test to ensure that you are suitable to be tested. I am a nervous person as well, and I thought I would be screwed by that - but I wasn't. They will take care of the functions of the machine, all that you have to do is make sure you don't lie. :)

revelations
10-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Among other things, the CPS will ask you the same questions on the polygraph as in the application declaration form - so dont bother omitting details in your application.

Of course bewteen the time you sent the application and the time you take the poly might be 3 months, so they will give you a chance to add or change details of the declaration during the ploy and they will judge your responses.

Stealth22
10-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Just don't lie. Lying/sugarcoating/dishonesty in general is pretty much an instant disqualification.

If there's anything that you think might disqualify you, just tell them everything honestly. It's all case-by-case, so you never know. Best case, you'll get hired if you ace the other parts of the application process. Worst case, you'll get rejected/deferred.

EDIT: Question for any of the guys who are already cops - say any of us apply to CPS and get deferred (say for me, they think I'm too young, or someone answers a poly question wrong), and you re-apply after the 2 years or whatever is up, does the deferral look bad, or does it show that you are persistent and genuinely want to become a police officer?

adam c
10-15-2008, 07:35 AM
next question.. i heard there used to be a size requirement (height/weight) is this still active? is there a minimum height you have to be?

Stealth22
10-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I don't remember ever reading anything like that...I don't think there's anything like that. Wouldn't that kind of be discrimination though? I'm sure there are short female cops with the CPS that could kick the shit out of most 6-foot guys in Calgary :rofl:

phil98z24
10-15-2008, 11:07 AM