PDA

View Full Version : GTS Twin Cam

Initial-D-Nerd
09-09-2003, 04:53 PM
well, it seems like i have gotten into some pretty crazy car projects, and im wondering if the Twin Cam Engine in the Corrolla could be replaced by the Supercharged Twin Cam from the older MR2s.

Cueman
09-09-2003, 05:47 PM
yes.

With minor (ie. with a grinder to clear supercharger housing) modifications to the motor mounts the GZE will bolt right in.

The hardest part is plumbing for an intake manifold that faces the wrong way, and wiring. Started the swap once, but quit as I learned more.

The extra torque is enough to break axles consistently with good rubber and LSD.

GTS Jeff
09-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Initial-D-Nerd
well, it seems like i have gotten into some pretty crazy car projects, and im wondering if the Twin Cam Engine in the Corrolla could be replaced by the Supercharged Twin Cam from the older MR2s. if u wana go crazy, then use the s/c 4ag from the ae101 gtz

alloroc
09-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Check out

http://club4ag.com/ Read the tech info there before you post they are harsh on newbies.

www.toyotanation.com ask any question you want most of the guys there are ok.

T5_X
09-09-2003, 08:58 PM
or if you wanna go even crazier, twincharge it!

Initial-D-Nerd
09-10-2003, 09:41 PM
ok, thanks alloroc for the websites, and GTS Jeff, what is an ae101 gtz?

hinggu
09-10-2003, 09:43 PM
well, it seems like i have gotten into some pretty crazy car projects, and im wondering if the Twin Cam Engine in the Corrolla could be replaced by the Supercharged Twin Cam from the older MR2s.

My buddy in Vancouver put a 89 supercharged engine in his brother's 85 Corolla gts.. damn thing is fast!!

cocoabrova
09-10-2003, 09:57 PM
You could even go with the 3S-GTE from the last gen MR2's:eek: Or you could twin-charge the 4AGZE, like one of our members. Why don't you you just turbo the 4AGE? If you're wanting a quick 'Rolla/sleeper, that'd be the way to go, IMHO:thumbsup:

Initial-D-Nerd
09-10-2003, 10:25 PM
do the 4AGE handle boost with a stock bottom end, and what parts would i need to change to run ~15psi's worth of hp.

alloroc
09-11-2003, 08:23 AM
The 4age can only handle about 8 psi boost (pump gas) before you break the ring landing, usually on piston #1 -I learned this the hard way. You are way better off getting your hand on a gze because they have the semi forged lower compression pistons and oil squirters. The bottom end in both though can take a lot of abuse. Another good source of info is Bill Sherwoods page.

http://www.billzilla.org/carindex.htm

twincharged86
09-11-2003, 09:20 AM
i didn't have to do anything my motor mounts

i have the 91 levin gtz motor in my car, the toughest part of the swap is probably just rerouting the waterlines and the intercooler

oh yeah and the wiring, right now i'm using sds -- didn't wanna mess with the gze harness, plus i get more power anyway w/ the engine management

twincharging the car was straight forward except for the fact that the left-hand drive cars have both the brake booster and steering rod in the way, so you have to be spacially conservative about your manifold

right now it's running 13-15psi (boost spikes) on completely stock gze internals (pistons, rods, the head, even the injectors and coil packs are stock) and i drive it everyday and still get 400+kms on a full tank

Maxt
09-11-2003, 02:01 PM
PM soloracer, he has a turbo toyota mr2 engine right now...Maxt

Initial-D-Nerd
09-11-2003, 04:35 PM
well this guy i know has a supercharged 4AGE but i think what he has done is just taken off the stock GTS top end, and put on the Supercharged MR2 top end. if im not mistaken, doesn't the Supercharged MR2 engine have stronger internals than a stock GTS? i heard something about it being the Formula Atlantic block and rods etc...

And that is another option Maxt, but how much would that newer engine cost? im hoping to keep this project relatively cheap.

Initial-D-Nerd
09-11-2003, 10:31 PM
ok guys, i went to check this car out, and it goes pretty good. needs some work, but it is a full supercharged MR2 engine less the intercooler for mounting reasons.

Initial-D-Nerd
09-11-2003, 10:31 PM
front:

Initial-D-Nerd
09-11-2003, 10:32 PM
rear:

alloroc
09-11-2003, 10:46 PM
well this guy i know has a supercharged 4AGE but i think what he has done is just taken off the stock GTS top end, and put on the Supercharged MR2 top end. if im not mistaken, doesn't the Supercharged MR2 engine have stronger internals than a stock GTS? i heard something about it being the Formula Atlantic block and rods etc...

And that is another option Maxt, but how much would that newer engine cost? im hoping to keep this project relatively cheap.

Check with the guys on club4ag and toyotanation for prices, you actually need the whole engine and ecu. There is a good chance you may be able to get hooked up with a trueno, Jap style supercharged corolla front clip. As for the price I honestly have no friggin' clue where to start becase there are soo many options.

The older 4age rods didn't have a floating wrist pin the newer ones and the gze do the small end bearing is also smaller on the older models. The 4ag rods don't have oil sprayer, to cool the underside of the piston, the gze does and most importantly the 4ag had aluminum cast high compression pistons, the gze has semi forged low compression pistons. The engine has been around a long time and there are more version and combinations than you can shake a stick at. Big valve heads, small valve heads, tvis, non tvis, 4 valve heads, 5 valve heads, high compression engines, standard compression, low compression supercharged engines. Spend a good month or two surfing and asking questions before you do anything.

Initial-D-Nerd
09-11-2003, 10:51 PM
alright, thanks a lot guys. if anyone else has some information that could be useful, please post

also, the guy told me about a website, calgary based, something like www.dorikazi.com , but that doesnt work for me, anyone know what it really is?

speedworxs
09-11-2003, 10:57 PM
this is the link you want;

http://www.castanet.ca/dori-kaze/

Initial-D-Nerd
09-11-2003, 10:59 PM
oh, one more question (sorry about the whoring) does the 4AGE share a common crank with the 4AGZE? as u said they have different rods and pistons, but is the crank the same? or no because of the smaller small end bearing?

alloroc
09-12-2003, 12:26 AM
All the same. I cant' recall the number of splines but they are all of the 'new' type.

I can't vouch for the formula atlantics crank though but unless you are thinking of building a normally aspirated car and not a forced induction you should save your money and stay away from the atlantic spec crank.

EDIT:

I think you misunderstood what meant by small end bearing ... I was referring to the connecting rod. The top hole / bearing on the connecting rod that connects to the piston wrist pin. It is called small end bearing because well it is smaller than the bearing on the other end that goes around the crank. Because the newer motors and the older motors have different sized small end bearings the pistons and rods both must be swapped. You have to be sure of what you have before you buy the likes of a forged piston.

Cueman
09-12-2003, 07:37 AM
WTF...

That's my friend Robs car. I had no idea it was for sale. The motor, whole bottom end is from an AW11 SC. Supercharger is the SC12 from an AE101. Custom harness running on a GZE ECU that he bought from me.

Initial-D-Nerd
09-12-2003, 03:01 PM
its not for sale, its just an example of what im thinking of doing, he has another supercharged engine on a stand hes selling which i might buy.

GTS Jeff
09-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Cueman
WTF...

That's my friend Robs car. I had no idea it was for sale. The motor, whole bottom end is from an AW11 SC. Supercharger is the SC12 from an AE101. Custom harness running on a GZE ECU that he bought from me. whats the difference between the ae101 and aw11 supercharger? i thought it was the same thing, but with smaller pulley on the ae101...

Cueman
09-12-2003, 05:46 PM
truthfully, I'm not entirely sure. It could just be the smaller pulley.

I do know however, the smaller pulley from the AE101 will not fit on the AW11 unit. Whether or not there's more to it... I dunno.