PDA

View Full Version : Memory Leak?

Shaolin
09-09-2003, 05:38 PM
for a while now my computer's not been disposing/flushing processes and it's causing it to freeze once in a while.. i'm not talking about services and background processes either, i'm talking about programs (ie. Avant Browser, Winword when i'm in outlook, ATIMMC.exe when i'm watching TV/playing PS2 on my computer)..

when i run a program and close it, the process should be gone, but sometimes it's not.. i would say run ATIMMC.exe, i'd watch tv, then close the program, i check my processes about an hour later and the process is STILL THERE..

is there anyway to fix this? I'm not going to format or do anything major, it's not a MAJOR problem.. it's just if i run programs and it doesn't open, I check my processes and find un-closed processes and remove them, and the program i try to run will open..

gets annoying but it's nothing to go nuts about.. but a solution would help... any ideas?

GingeRRRBeef
09-09-2003, 06:44 PM
ATIMMC.exe is a executable that runs in the background so that your TV tuner works. You can end that process but then you'd have to run it everytime you want to watch TV.

What operating system are you running??? How long have you had your OS installed for???

If you are running WinXP, you can check in the task manager to see how much memory each process is using. Maybe that'll help you track down what's causing the problem.

Another possibility is that you are running low on hard drive space and the OS is struggling to allocate space for your virtual memory. Your HD could be fragmented and it's taking a long time for the computer to access certain files.

There could be many many possibilities ... so if the problem is persistent I would suggest just to do a reinstall.

Shaolin
09-09-2003, 08:49 PM
hey man I'm running Win2k Pro, it's been running the same OS for the past 2 years. I might check the fragments and hard drive space, check my virtual memory and see what the settings are at.. thanx for the heads up.