PDA

View Full Version : Car dealership - Bargaining?

sdiep
08-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Is it better to purchase from the bigger cities rather than smaller communities? I've been told, Red Deer is a red-neck town, and so I should instead head down to Calgary or Edmonton.

As well, how would you go about getting a markdown on a new vehicle? Any suggestions? The old trick of walking away?

riced
08-27-2008, 10:47 AM
I guess it depends on the dealership.
Most people say if you want a Honda or Toyota, go to High River. I mean, even their slogan is "It's Worth The Drive!"
I can stand behind that because I went to crowfoot Honda and T&T Honda while looking for my civic.
I went to High River after and right when we stepped in, they said "Where you guys from?"
We said Calgary, and they said "You must be looking for a good deal, come on"
and right off the bat we got a better price than the two local dealers could offer.

badatusrnames
08-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Cars cost less in Wetaskiwin!!

Is the slogan that comes to mind...

SJW
08-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Just get your price that you want to pay. The lowest of the low ball. Don't make it insulting too much. Walk in and say I want this vehicle for this price.

Take this to several dealerships around town and call around the outside of the city.

Put it this way. I badgered 8 dealerships around alberta until one caved on my price.

I saved 10G's off the price of a new avalanche.

sdiep
08-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I'm actually looking into getting a Honda Fit, so maybe I'll give High River a try!

realazy
08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Good luck on bargaining of the fits though. They sell so fast they probably won't deal with you much. Apparently they stopped production of the 08's early so basically they are running out of stock and are in no hurry to sell. Good luck!

rjessa
08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by riced
Most people say if you want a Honda or Toyota, go to High River. I mean, even their slogan is "It's Worth The Drive!"
I can stand behind that because I went to crowfoot Honda and T&T Honda while looking for my civic.
I went to High River after and right when we stepped in, they said "Where you guys from?"
and right off the bat we got a better price than the two local dealers could offer.

:werd:

went to stampede and country hills toyota for my highlander, crappy service and prices. Buddy of mine told me to go to high river toyota and got the same treatment as Riced

Highly recommend going there

00redLUDE
08-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by riced

It's so weird since T&T Honda and High River Honda is owned by the same person/group.

Masked Bandit
08-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by SJW
Just get your price that you want to pay. The lowest of the low ball. Don't make it insulting too much. Walk in and say I want this vehicle for this price.

Take this to several dealerships around town and call around the outside of the city.

Put it this way. I badgered 8 dealerships around alberta until one caved on my price.

Where did you end up getting yours from?

Xtrema
08-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SJW

10g off Avalanche isn't hard. 10g AND 0% financing for 72 months and I'll be impressed.

For example, Nissan @ Creekside is having a buy Titan get Versa for free promotion.

06civic
08-27-2008, 04:55 PM
everyone is saying high river Honda gives good deals are we like looking at 2000 off? Noon question:dunno:

g-m
08-27-2008, 05:00 PM
+1 for high river honda

boostinside
08-27-2008, 05:05 PM
My guess is there's right around 1000 markup or less in a fit depending on options. So that might give you a realistic idea of where to start.

Gart
08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by 06civic
everyone is saying high river Honda gives good deals are we like looking at 2000 off? Noon question:dunno:

My family's purchased 3 vehicles from them sofar. No complaints from us yet. (I'm not sure what the exact price difference was though)

I definetely prefer dealing with them over some of the Calgary ones I've visted.

g-m
08-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Gart
I definetely prefer dealing with them over some of the Calgary ones I've visted.
Honda West are unprofessional assholes who don't really give a fuck. Stay away

TomcoPDR
08-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Cars cost less in Wetaskiwin!!

Is the slogan that comes to mind...

:werd: Those dealerships are freakin' huge an high volume lots, for a city/town of it's size. But I guess it's because of all the little feeder towns that get service from there.

dannie
08-27-2008, 07:10 PM
In case you were actually going to go to High River Honda; they have moved. They are in Okotoks now.

http://www.highriverhonda.com/en/index.spy

Darkane
08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by dannie
In case you were actually going to go to High River Honda; they have moved. They are in Okotoks now.

http://www.highriverhonda.com/en/index.spy

Yep. Okotoks Honda.

I went there for my FG2. Beat every dealership in the city a fair bit. If you live southside Calgary might as well go there.

bignerd
08-27-2008, 11:59 PM
I actually found the cheapest price on a Honda in the city. Walking away didn't do much for me, but it didn't matter I was tired of playing their games.

I found that some of the smaller dealerships in other towns did not have as much inventory on the lot (therefore not the color or model I wanted) and wanted to charge an extra fee to transport said color or model in from another city.

I found a dealership in Calgary that had the best price and brought my vehicle in from Edmonton for free.

Everyone will have different opinions about which dealership is crap and which is golden, really depends on your individual experience there.

I have heard if you go towards the end of the month they want to get their numbers up so that can help, plus the 09's are coming.

Toms-SC
08-28-2008, 08:17 AM
People are still shopping Canadian? Seriously?

4doorj
08-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
People are still shopping Canadian? Seriously?
if your buying a new fit or civic, its not worth it going down south to buy it. After taxes and fees you will probably be paying the same or just a little less.
higher end cars yeah its not worth it, you save soooo much going south

4doorj
08-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by 06civic

i have bought a few hondas, high river was good because they gave me a wicked trade in for one of my cars. No other dealership would even come close to what they gave me. On a brand new car there isnt much room to move especially a fit, so it might be hard. I had a friend discount and I only got $500 bucks taken off on one of my civics i bought.

Originally posted by bignerd
I actually found the cheapest price on a Honda in the city. Walking away didn't do much for me, but it didn't matter I was tired of playing their games.

I found that some of the smaller dealerships in other towns did not have as much inventory on the lot (therefore not the color or model I wanted) and wanted to charge an extra fee to transport said color or model in from another city.

I found a dealership in Calgary that had the best price and brought my vehicle in from Edmonton for free.

Everyone will have different opinions about which dealership is crap and which is golden, really depends on your individual experience there.

I have heard if you go towards the end of the month they want to get their numbers up so that can help, plus the 09's are coming.

I agree, I just bought a CR-V and the best deal I found was at Honda West. Cory there was awsome! Definitly recommend him.

Darkane
08-30-2008, 11:10 AM
^^ Was that Cory Bergman?

4doorj
08-30-2008, 11:14 AM
No cory fung

asifka
06-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I went to high river toyota for 09 rav4 sport. got $1000 off msrp.

They are charging $400 for non-toyota accessories. they told us, all vehicle they got have this feature(its more like a insurance) . if my car is stolen, toyota will pay $5000 toward new vehicle.

they said its optional in other dealerships but mandatory in highriver toyota.:confused: anybody have experience with this situation?

thanks

edit: $1000

That.Guy.S30
06-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by asifka
I went to high river toyota for 09 rav4 sport. got %1000 off msrp.

They are charging $400 for non-toyota accessories. they told us, all vehicle they got have this feature(its more like a insurance) . if my car is stolen, toyota will pay $5000 toward new vehicle.

they said its optional in other dealerships but mandatory in highriver toyota.:confused: anybody have experience with this situation?

thanks

was it called the global I ?

asifka
06-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

was it called the global I ?

I think so.

That.Guy.S30
06-14-2009, 08:47 PM
what my salesman told me was that its like VIN etching into every major body part of your toyota.

B4tMan
06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Best / easiest way to get money off is to pay cash.

Walking away does not help, especially with reputable companies that respect themselves.

Buy from a small town, they get less opportunities to showcase their product.

Buy from dealership that has high number of sales (do your research) - they get better incentives and rates from both manufacturer and "banks".

Speak to managers, not sales guys. Easiest way to spot them - sales guys run to them with your offer.

psycoticclown
06-15-2009, 12:01 AM
I went to high river toyota for 09 rav4 sport. got %1000 off msrp.

Damn, I want 1000% off!!!

rumeo
06-15-2009, 12:43 AM
When buying a new car, how much leway do they have? What about used sales?

B4tMan
06-15-2009, 02:11 AM
up to 15%

If the dealership respects itself, under 5%

luv2ride_bikes
06-15-2009, 08:41 AM
I went to high river toyota for 09 rav4 sport. got $1000 off msrp.

thanks

edit: $1000
this is a rip off. It is just another way for the dealer to make money off of you. Google dealer scams, and this is one of them.

Anyone looking for a new vehicle, I would recommond signing up for Carcost Canada. this will give you all the incentives and dealer costs. I would just deal via email and get the dealer to agree on a price before you waste your time coming in. State in the email exactlly what you will pay. It is better to buy cash, or get your financing somwhere else. That way you can tak advantage of any cash incentives the manufacturer may be offering. Find the dealer cost, less any incentives, then add around a 2% profit to the dealer. Make this your offer to the dealer, if they don't accept, then move onto the next one. The dealers out there are hurting for business.