PDA

View Full Version : M5 vs E63 vs CTS-V

Inzane
08-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Alright, there have been a lot of heated discussions lately. Here's a POLL. Vote dammit! :poosie:

Which car would YOU prefer to own, have, buy, drive, etc.

nightfx
08-27-2008, 03:08 PM
e63

bspot
08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
I like fast.

CTS-V

M5's are horribly ugly.

beyond_ban
08-27-2008, 03:18 PM
CTS-V all day air day babe-ay

max_boost
08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
MB!! Bling Bling!!

95EagleAWD
08-27-2008, 03:28 PM
I'd take the Cadillac.

And I can't believe I just said that.

TorqueDog
08-27-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm a bit biased, but...

M5 > E63 > CTS-V
(It took a LONG time for the Bangle-ized 5-Series to grow on me.)

Nothing particularly wrong with the CTS-V, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Plus isn't the STS-V the competitor for the E63/M5? The CTS-V is a competitor for the M3 Sedan is it not?

If I were stuck buying either a BMW M, or a Mercedes AMG, that C63 AMG is a hard bargain to beat!

BerserkerCatSplat
08-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
The CTS-V is a competitor for the M3 Sedan is it not?

No, the CTS-V's interior dimensions are all within 0.5" of the M5's. It's the size of the M5 for the price of the M3.

rage2
08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
M5 == borefest :zzz:. Drove a few, didn't do anything for me. Might be more fun at sea level tho.

TorqueDog
08-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
No, the CTS-V's interior dimensions are all within 0.5" of the M5's. It's the size of the M5 for the price of the M3. Interior dimensions are all well and good when you're comparing a Honda Accord to a Toyota Camry.

Performance-wise, the current gen CTS-V is a competitor for the M3... the M5 has 107 HP more. At 469 HP, the STS-V misses the mark, but would still be a better competitor in terms of price and power.

rage2: You're not the first person I've heard say that; a lot of the M5Board guys have the same thoughts. I think it's the lack of bottom end torque that really kills the driving experience for some... especially those who had the E39 before it. Those same guys disliked the new M3 V8 for similar reasons. No SOTP feel.

benyl
08-27-2008, 04:07 PM

Performance-wise, the current gen CTS-V is a competitor for the M3... the M5 has 107 HP more. At 469 HP, the STS-V misses the mark, but would still be a better competitor in terms of price and power.

GM is targeting the M5 with the 2009 CTS-V. It has 550hp or there abouts.

It is an M5 competitor, not M3.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2008/06/official-specs-2009-cadillac-cts-v-makes-556-horsepower.html

dino_martini
08-27-2008, 04:20 PM
CTS-V

E63 has no manual, M5 is too ugly.

TorqueDog
08-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by benyl

GM is targeting the M5 with the 2009 CTS-V. It has 550hp or there abouts.

It is an M5 competitor, not M3.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2008/06/official-specs-2009-cadillac-cts-v-makes-556-horsepower.html ... but it's not out yet, so what good is comparing cars you can't buy yet? In that case, I might as well say that the 2010 BMW M5 would kick its ass because it's got a twin turbo V8 under the bonnet.

OP should have specified if he was referring to the current gen or next gen CTS-V.

Destinova403
08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Interior dimensions are all well and good when you're comparing a Honda Accord to a Toyota Camry.

rage2: You're not the first person I've heard say that; a lot of the M5Board guys have the same thoughts. I think it's the lack of bottom end torque that really kills the driving experience for some... especially those who had the E39 before it. Those same guys disliked the new M3 V8 for similar reasons. No SOTP feel.

i would take the CTS-V... i like it better in almost every way, and then id pocket the extra 20k

by the way... the CTS-V is faster in almost every way than the other two, its also the same size as the 5-series. They will be comming out with a smaller car to compete with the 3 series within the next few years... maybe itll get the V treatment as well

the Sts is meant to compete with the 7-series / s class... although very poorly, cadillac will be killing its biggest 2 cars (STS and DTS) and releasing only one to compete directly with the S-Class and 7 series as well shortly...

keep an eye on caddy... i predict that within a few years theyll give BMW and MB a run for their money.

Performance comparison between all 3 cars, done by edmunds

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/231577/first-cts-v-comparison-test/

962 kid
08-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by rage2
M5 == borefest :zzz:. Drove a few, didn't do anything for me. Might be more fun at sea level tho.

:werd:

Another vote for the E63

TorqueDog
08-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I heard Caddy was killing the STS/DTS.

CTS is good where it sits in the market, they need a car to take it to the next level if they really want a competitor for the S-Classes and 7-Series of the world.

ZorroAMG
08-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Hmmmmm....

Yeah...E63 for sure...

4DoorGTZ
08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
If I was a rich man, yes I'd rock the E63 (C63 might be more fun) But with some goodies I'm happy with my V costing 40% of msrp after 2yrs and 9k mi. (except the lack of traction and a rear end suited for 300ftlbs of torque)

schocker
08-27-2008, 05:26 PM
benz :thumbsup: :burnout:

DannyO
08-27-2008, 05:55 PM
CTS-V > E63 > M5

The new M5 looks more of an old mans car than the Caddy.

Canmorite
08-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

:werd:

Another vote for the E63

Yup.

:poosie:

BerserkerCatSplat
08-27-2008, 08:19 PM
I voted CTS-V, but I'm a bit of an idiot and I'd probably go for a Quattroporte instead. Fuck the price.

redline
08-27-2008, 08:24 PM

your just a turbo douche now...:nut:

mark4091
08-27-2008, 08:53 PM
E63, if I wanted a race car I wouldn't be looking at any of these in the first place.

and I like caddy's, but I'm a German first an foremost.

al-ti2d
08-27-2008, 09:04 PM
i think the 2009 cts-v's interior is pretty damn gorgeous...
http://blog.sounddomain.com/photos/alpine/2009_ctsv_interior.jpg
:eek:

Redlyne_mr2
08-27-2008, 10:22 PM
^^^ that interior is ghastly ..image is everything in this category.. black on black e63 means business.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Yes, because the E63 interior is the pinnacle of style.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/cmsimages/articles/2006_NEW_YORK_AUTO_SHOW/06_NY_Autoshow_M-B_E-Class_3_600.jpg

Mmmmm, wood veneer and a steering wheel that looks like it came off a 1990 Ford Taurus. Classy.

On the other hand, at least it's not the M5 interior.

http://www.bmwinformation.com/model/5_series/img/e60_interior_3.jpg

TorqueDog
08-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
^^^ that interior is ghastly ..image is everything in this category.. black on black e63 means business. That interior is gorgeous! With the exception of the gear lever (which looks like it was nicked from the GM Universal parts bin), it's stunning, and about time Cadillac started putting the same effort into its interiors that their competitors do. It's a million times nicer than the interior in the IS-F, as an example. Took a look at one two weekends ago... I expected far better from a car that commands one spend almost $70k. Looked like a glammed-up Toyota.

On the other hand, at least it's not the M5 interior.That's not the M5 interior. That's the regular 5-Series interior. There are some differences that even a picture at that angle will not tell you.

nightfx
08-28-2008, 12:18 AM

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/cmsimages/articles/2006_NEW_YORK_AUTO_SHOW/06_NY_Autoshow_M-B_E-Class_3_600.jpg

Mmmmm, wood veneer and a steering wheel that looks like it came off a 1990 Ford Taurus. Classy.

On the other hand, at least it's not the M5 interior.

http://www.bmwinformation.com/model/5_series/img/e60_interior_3.jpg
That's not a very fair comparison i wouldn't compare interiors of the e63 till the new e63 redesign is out... i mean the old cts-v interior of the same year wasn't spectacular...
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1042/2004cadillacctsvinterioec2.jpg

and that isn't even an m5, 5k redline :rofl: :hitit:

Redlyne_mr2
08-28-2008, 12:27 AM
That interior is gorgeous! With the exception of the gear lever (which looks like it was nicked from the GM Universal parts bin), it's stunning, and about time Cadillac started putting the same effort into its interiors that their competitors do. It's a million times nicer than the interior in the IS-F, as an example. Took a look at one two weekends ago... I expected far better from a car that commands one spend almost $70k. Looked like a glammed-up Toyota.

That's not the M5 interior. That's the regular 5-Series interior. There are some differences that even a picture at that angle will not tell you.

I'm sort of confused, the ISF was never mentioned in this pole, why bring it up? I prefer simple interiors, I thought the days of the overdone gm interiors died with the bonneville sse, I guess not.

U4RIA
08-28-2008, 12:32 AM
RS6 for me :drool:

Inzane
08-28-2008, 08:00 AM
LOTS of votes for the E63... wow.

However, how many of you guys realize you can't get a manual transmission with most of the Benzes these days? :dunno:

ZorroAMG
08-28-2008, 08:49 AM
So? Don't start the stupid "omgzors, must havez manuallllllllll"

The auto shifts faster than you ever could with a manual.

Berserker, that interior was the best in class....in 2003. Sure it needs a refresh now but that is coming with the new E63 next year that will DESTROY the above competition....

Apples to apples please....

CTSV
08-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Gee, I think I'll vote for the ....V. I guess because I have one!
It's great fun and stealthy as well. Just an old guy driving a 4 door sedan. Great fun at track the other day. G meter says 0.9 left and 0.93 right. Not bad for RSA tires.

TorqueDog
08-28-2008, 08:58 AM
ZorroAMG, it's not just about shift speed. Some people (such as myself) prefer the extra little bit of control that we get with a manual transmission. I like changing my own gears, I don't need some German bloke named Fritz designing a gearbox that does it on its own for me. If I'm buying a performance car, at least give me the option of a clutch and a stick.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I'm sort of confused, the ISF was never mentioned in this pole, why bring it up?While it wasn't mentioned, it is still a competitor if you consider that the CTS-V is in the poll as well, so discussion of its interior is perfectly valid. My point is that, compared to its rivals, the new CTS-V interior is beautifully styled.

Eleanor
08-28-2008, 09:03 AM
OMG :barf: The old CTS-V interior is better than that garbage.

When are they going to learn that 4 prong steering wheels don't look good?

Inzane
08-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
The auto shifts faster than you ever could with a manual.

So...?? :dunno: Since when was the only argument in favor of manual transmissions was how FAST a car is? I don't give a flying fuck if these new semiautomanumaticretarded slush boxes are faster. Some of us still prefer a stick shift. :banghead:

While it wasn't mentioned, it is still a competitor if you consider that the CTS-V is in the poll as well,

I didn't include the IS-F for 2 reasons.
1) I just grabbed the exact three cars being compared in the 'other' Caddy thread to poll here. That was intentional.
2) I thought the IS-F was a more direct competitor to the M3 (not M5), the C63 AMG (not E63), and the RS-4.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Berserker, that interior was the best in class....in 2003. Sure it needs a refresh now but that is coming with the new E63 next year that will DESTROY the above competition....

Apples to apples please....

I'd love to compare it to a refresh that nobody's seen, but I can't. The poll is about what we have available now, and as such that interior is all I've got to go by.

That's not the M5 interior. That's the regular 5-Series interior. There are some differences that even a picture at that angle will not tell you.

Ah, GIS fails me again. :(

ZorroAMG
08-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Not getting into that auto/manual useless debate again guys...stop arguing and ruining this thread.

:D

Berserker, if you are going to SAY the interior designed 6yrs ago isn't as nice as an interior designed this year, well....duh, I'd hope they could improve from the comparative design...the CTS Plastic-king interior of 2004 or whatever was BARF central....

Now THAT is apples to apples....

PS comparing some nerd's shot with a P&S crappy photo of the E63 vs the studio shot of the CTS-V??? Come on, Berserker, you KNOWWWW better!! :D

Destinova403
08-28-2008, 09:19 AM
While it wasn't mentioned, it is still a competitor if you consider that the CTS-V is in the poll as well, so discussion of its interior is perfectly valid. My point is that, compared to its rivals, the new CTS-V interior is beautifully styled.

again, the CTS-V is a competitor to the M5 and E63 NOT the m3/C63

its the same size, as the M5, slightly heavier, and that was the performance benchmark

caddy IS coming out with a 3 series competitor, just not yet.

the CTS-V is priced like the M3, but competing with the M5

the only other car i would like to have seen in this comparison would be the RS-6

SilverKast
08-28-2008, 09:20 AM
I love my V, I think it's great value for the price. My only complaints:

- that 1st to 4th thing is annoying
- the cheap ass button covers on the sides of the nav display that wear and peel away
- who decided to put cupholders right in my way?
- the outlet in the ashtray is terribad when you plug anything in as it gets in the way of shifting on occasion

Minor complaints really. Overall I really like the car :D

CTSV
08-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Silverkast
Get rid of the 1-4 skip shift. That's number one mod.
Get a GAGS eliminator. See cadillacforums.com one of the members sells them for $13.00 I think. Next change shifter and bushings. UUC shifter and Lindsay bushings. Makes the car MUCH more enjoyable to drive.

blownz
08-28-2008, 09:32 AM
M5 > CTS-V > E63 for me

E63 is oddly the only one I have driven and the acceleration was definitely ungodly, but it still felt like driving an old man car to me. Plus the auto in it is just plain boring imo. I still prefer to sacrifice a bit of comfort for better handling and I still like to shift myself.

Since I haven't driven the other two (CTS-V obviously) I voted for the M5 just because I prefer the looks. Definitely can't go wrong with the CTS-V for the money though.

Although if the huge improvements MB made from the old S Class to the current S Class and old C Class to the current C Class is any indication of the huge improvement we can expect on the E Class I am really looking forward to it. Although they will obviously not put a manual in it and that would probably still keep me from buying it (assuming I suddenly had a spare 100k plus available to blow on a car).

Inzane
08-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Not getting into that auto/manual useless debate again guys...stop arguing and ruining this thread.

:D

First of all, it's MY thread. Who should I complain to... myself?

Second, YOU started the argument, not I. All I did was point out the lack of MT in the Benzes (in case some people didn't realize it).

ZorroAMG
08-28-2008, 09:55 AM
:rolleyes: Relax, Myron.

TorqueDog
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Inzane
I didn't include the IS-F for 2 reasons.
1) I just grabbed the exact three cars being compared in the 'other' Caddy thread to poll here. That was intentional.
2) I thought the IS-F was a more direct competitor to the M3 (not M5), the C63 AMG (not E63), and the RS-4. Fair enough, though again, if you go by everyone else's criteria for 'competitors', the IS-F should be considered an M5/E63 competitor.

My point, regardless, was that the Caddy's interior is pretty damn good.

Originally posted by CTSV
Silverkast
Get rid of the 1-4 skip shift. That's number one mod.
Get a GAGS eliminator. See cadillacforums.com one of the members sells them for $13.00 I think. Next change shifter and bushings. UUC shifter and Lindsay bushings. Makes the car MUCH more enjoyable to drive. There's a trick to the CAGS 1st-4th shift solenoid that's been around since the LT1 Corvette/F-Body days....

If you drive the car the way you're supposed to, CAGS won't engage. :D Put your foot into it, sissy!

rage2
08-28-2008, 10:06 AM
LOTS of votes for the E63... wow.

However, how many of you guys realize you can't get a manual transmission with most of the Benzes these days? :dunno:
Get with the times old man, it's 2008! ;)

Hakkola
08-28-2008, 10:07 AM

So...?? :dunno: Since when was the only argument in favor of manual transmissions was how FAST a car is?

It should be, why get options on a performance car that will slow it down?

if you go by everyone else's criteria for 'competitors', the IS-F should be considered an M5/E63 competitor.

I disagree. The IS is not an 5-series, e-class competitor.

TorqueDog
08-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I disagree. The IS is not an 5-series, e-class competitor. Just like I disagree that the current generation CTS-V is an M5 or E63 AMG competitor. Neither in price range nor in performance. Minimum 100 HP difference, and minimum $45,000 difference between the cars.

It would have been for the E39 M5, but the E39 was phased out before the CTS-V was introduced, and even then, a brand new E39 M5 was $100k. A CTS-V is about $70k give or take.

I'll agree though that the next gen CTS-V will definitely be a competitor, although with the new F10 M5 coming out in 2010 or so, who knows what the future holds.

Hakkola
08-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Just like I disagree that the current generation CTS-V is an M5 or E63 AMG competitor.

Fair enough, what does it compete with then?

Edit - actually, now that I think about it you might be right. I always thought of the STS as a 5 series, E-class competitor, and the DTS or whatever it was as a 7-series, S-class competitor, I think the CTS probably is a C-Class, M3 competitor.

That would make the IS-F a competitor with this CTS-V.

TorqueDog
08-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Fair enough, what does it compete with then? Performance and price, it competes with the likes of the M3, IS-F, and C63 AMG.

To place them in the same category strictly because "It's a similar size" is silly. Power/Performance and price are what categorize cars like this. These aren't family sedans.

For the rest of you who still need more convincing: The plain-jane CTS was released to cut into the market share of the BMW 3-Series and the C-Class Mercedes as an "Entry-level Executive Sedan", since Cadillac didn't have anything at the time to compete with those. The Seville SLS/STS (later shortened to simply "STS") was too big, the Deville Concours/DTS (also shortened to "DTS") was still marketed at your grandfather, and Cadillac needed to target the young, new-money buyer that the Germans had a stranglehold on. Throwing an LS2 up front and slapping on a chrome -V doesn't change that.

Inzane
08-28-2008, 10:38 AM
The plain-jane CTS was released to cut into the market share of the BMW 3-Series and the C-Class Mercedes as an "Entry-level Executive Sedan",

That's a very valid point. I almost forgot about that.

eg. A friend or two had even told me to cross-shop the CTS when looking at 3-series, G35s, A4s, etc. next year.

And that was despite them knowing I'm a devout GM hater. :rofl:

ShiDave
08-28-2008, 10:43 AM
CAdillac for sure.

TorqueDog
08-28-2008, 10:49 AM
The latest refreshes to the CTS have impressed me.

I drove one of the earlier models when car shopping back in 2006, and I couldn't fathom picking one over one of its German rivals. I didn't mind the way it looked, but Christ.... The manual felt sloppy, the ride didn't feel anywhere near as confident as a luxury car should, the interior reminded me of a Cobalt, and while I knew a manual would have the less-powerful V6 of the two available, it felt far too underpowered for the car. Contrast that with the 325i sedan I test drove later in the week, and the Cadillac just didn't have it together.

CTSV
08-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Torquedog
I noticed you have a 2002 Blue M5. My neighbour has one just like it. Very nice color and nice car. Another neighbour has M3 convert. I'm trying to get them to bring them to the roadcourse at Race city. Then 3 or 4 more 3 series BMW on our block plus a couple of Benz. Help I'm surrounded! Only 3 Caddies on the block.

TorqueDog
08-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Torquedog
I noticed you have a 2002 Blue M5. My neighbour has one just like it. Very nice color and nice car. Another neighbour has M3 convert. I'm trying to get them to bring them to the roadcourse at Race city. Then 3 or 4 more 3 series BMW on our block plus a couple of Benz. Help I'm surrounded! Only 3 Caddies on the block. Thanks man. :thumbsup:

I'd bring mine to the road course at Race City, but 1. I work far too much and just don't have the time, and 2. I'm not too keen on breaking anything. LOL.

Sounds like the Germans are invading your community. http://members.shaw.ca/j.parkes/hitler.gif

Mitsu3000gt
08-28-2008, 11:18 AM
RS6 would be my first choice, but I don't know if/when they are coming to North America. I've driven the previous RS6 and that is one hell of an automobile (sounds better than most too IMO).

E63 or M5 if you want the whole package, CTS-V if all you care about is being able to say you can go a ~tenth of a second faster than a E63 or M5 (or if money is your sole concern). I know all these cars lose value reasonably fast, but I think it would be silly to buy a CTS-V new if it depreciates anything like the old one (80% of its value gone in 3-4 years blackbook).

CTSV
08-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Torquedog
Gotta have some time off. No one works more than me and even I found time. You won't break anything on road course. They (AllenBerg) are pretty safety conscious. They like to ride shotgun with me. I think so they can be sure I don't screw up! Last time they let me on my own more.

TorqueDog
08-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I work about 68 hours in a week alone. I have time for grocery shopping, laundry, and sleeping, haha.

Trying to build up my savings account even faster than I have been. I really don't have any other obligations that require a great deal of time, so I figure I might as well appease the workaholic in me, as well as the kid in me who wants a lot of toys.

Plus I'm using part of that savings to buy my folks back home a present. Dad's always wanted a C4 Corvette, I want to pick up a minty one for him and mom to cruise around in... even if I have to put money into it before I deliver it to 'em. They have no idea.

bspot
08-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Word is RS6's aren't coming to NA :(

CTSV
08-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Torquedog
I guess your parents did a real good job on their kids.
Gotta question your name. Given BMW M5's aren't known for their torque, shouldn't you be Horsepowerdog??? Or do you have a diesel truck somewhere?

dino_martini
08-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Word is RS6's aren't coming to NA :(

I've heard the RS6 Sedan is coming.

rage2
08-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I've also heard the RS6 sedan is coming to US. No word on Canada.

pyroza
08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
E63, for sure

Inzane
08-28-2008, 02:02 PM
You won't break anything on road course.

Sure, until the moment you have a bad 'off' and totally write your car off (with no collision coverage while on track, remember).

benyl
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I've also heard the RS6 sedan is coming to US. No word on Canada.

Is there an RS6 sedan? Last I saw, there was only a wagon.

Also, given the change in bumper laws, there is really no reason for the RS6 not to come here anymore.

CTSV
08-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Hey, road course is for fun and driving skills. Not trying to race anyone. Watching someone ahead of me, I was thinking boy is he going slow. Then I realized, yes, but I'm behind him and I'm real busy. Wouldn't want to watch me driving the course...boring. Great fun driving though. I had 2 objectives first and every time: Don't embarrass myself but I'm 59 and I don't care what people think. 2) DON'T CRASH THE CAR!!! So that tempers how fast I drive down the straight ie 125mph, then I chicken out. Next time I'll build up to a bit faster...baby steps.

dino_martini
08-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Is there an RS6 sedan? Last I saw, there was only a wagon.

Also, given the change in bumper laws, there is really no reason for the RS6 not to come here anymore.

:love:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd86/dino_martini/02_audi_rs6_sedan_live.jpg

Then take it over to ABT and tune it to 700hp (that would be nuts)

rage2
08-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey, road course is for fun and driving skills. Not trying to race anyone. Watching someone ahead of me, I was thinking boy is he going slow. Then I realized, yes, but I'm behind him and I'm real busy. Wouldn't want to watch me driving the course...boring. Great fun driving though. I had 2 objectives first and every time: Don't embarrass myself but I'm 59 and I don't care what people think. 2) DON'T CRASH THE CAR!!! So that tempers how fast I drive down the straight ie 125mph, then I chicken out. Next time I'll build up to a bit faster...baby steps.
I don't even go flat out down the straights no more, unless I'm out to chase a laptime. No point in destroying brakes, the fun's all in the corners!

CTSV
08-28-2008, 04:12 PM
But how often can you drive 125mph and not worry about a ticket? This car of mine will do 163 before fuel cutoff. I'm not even warming the brakes up yet. I need more practice. You are right though, corners are the fun. I managed to get G meter to 0.9 left and 0.93 right, or did I say that in an earlier post. I'm old and forgetful.

Inzane
08-28-2008, 04:17 PM

My one time at race city so far was a 2-day school a couple years ago and I had a bad off at turn 6. My instructor had me pushing it hard, in the wet, and I lost the back end, spun a couple times and went off on the outside. Stopped with my back wheels dipped in the swamp, and had to get towed out. Scared the shit out of me!

That same day an M3 in the advanced class ended up in the other big swamp, off the chicane at turn 8.

CTSV
08-28-2008, 05:07 PM
In the wet you are supposed to learn SMOOTH driving. A bit different turn ins etc. I can see why putting it in a swamp would be scary. But better than the concrete wall at start of quarter mile. You know what they say, when you get bucked of, gotta get right back on.
Now I'll be thinking of this next time. I hope not to look at the swamp because "you drive where you are looking."

TorqueDog
08-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Torquedog
I guess your parents did a real good job on their kids.
Gotta question your name. Given BMW M5's aren't known for their torque, shouldn't you be Horsepowerdog??? Or do you have a diesel truck somewhere? Just givin' back, is all. I'm their one and only.

The name: I had a 4.1L stroker in my 97 Camaro back in the day (yes, a stroker V6). Very torquey motor, used to break my 315s loose all day.

The E39 M5 has the most torque 'feel' of the M5s, even moreso than the new ones, though the new E60 does have a higher peak torque. That's part of the reason why enthusiasts nicknamed the E39 M5 as 'The Beast'.

CTSV
08-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Torquedog
Well it would have been a long time before I would have guessed that. Not a lot of work done on V6 except the 3.8 when you can just slap in a 350 etc. Did it start as a 3.8?

SilverKast
08-29-2008, 10:56 AM
So how does one go about getting their car on the track at Racecity? I live and work right in the immediate area and would love to take my V out for a spin sometime.

Only time I've been on the track there was for the Ariel Atoms.

CTSV
08-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Silverkast
Contact Allen Berg Racing. http://www.allenbergracingschools.com/
He has a road car course day set for Sept 30.
It would be nice to see another V there.

4DoorGTZ
08-29-2008, 12:24 PM
OMG 3 Calgary CTS-V owners posting in a row.....

CTSV check your pm's

Inzane
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
In the wet you are supposed to learn SMOOTH driving. A bit different turn ins etc. I can see why putting it in a swamp would be scary. But better than the concrete wall at start of quarter mile. You know what they say, when you get bucked of, gotta get right back on.
Now I'll be thinking of this next time. I hope not to look at the swamp because "you drive where you are looking."

I wasn't being UN-smooth, and I wasn't looking at the swamp (didn't even know it was there beforehand actually). My instructor had me pushing it (MORE speed through the corners) until my rear tires lost traction, hence the fishtail and inevitable spin. That's all there was to it.

Inzane
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by SilverKast
and would love to take my V out for a spin sometime.

No pun intended eh. :D

403Gemini
08-29-2008, 02:07 PM
CTS-V, its always had a softspot with me and the new ones are pure sex

TorqueDog
08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Torquedog
Well it would have been a long time before I would have guessed that. Not a lot of work done on V6 except the 3.8 when you can just slap in a 350 etc. Did it start as a 3.8? Yup. L36, the 3800 Series II. Threw in a nice lopey cam from Comp Cams, P&P heads, intake, and throttle body, and did my own tuning using HPTuners.

Motor itself was built by a shop in Winnipeg after I spun two rod bearings on the stocker.

Finished product:
http://members.shaw.ca/j.parkes/engine/newengine1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/j.parkes/engine/newengine2.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/j.parkes/engine/newengine3.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/j.parkes/engine/newengine4.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/j.parkes/engine/newengine5.jpg

C4S
08-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Pretty even ..
5-4-3 ratio ...

CLS style starts growing on me .. :)

CTSV
08-29-2008, 03:16 PM
All you needed with that was the turbo from the Grand National. Probably was more money than just a 350 but everyone has/had them. Way to be different.

TorqueDog
08-30-2008, 12:26 AM
All you needed with that was the turbo from the Grand National. Probably was more money than just a 350 but everyone has/had them. Way to be different. I had/still have one. :D I just never got around to bolting it up. Still have it in my apartment. A guy off here bought the FMIC I was going to use.
So if anyone wants a polished Garrett turbocharger from an 87 Grand National with an adjustable wastegate, and a ported/polished inlet bell, I'm taking offers. LOL

pinoyhero
08-30-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm a BM fan but had to go with the MB on this one