PDA

View Full Version : Car insurances for new drivers

anhsicun
08-27-2008, 04:12 PM
what cars out thier are cheaper to insured for a new driver ? im helping g/f to buy a car but she wants something that would be fairly decent for insurance, as she will be insuring it by her self.

realazy
08-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Just get a cheap car where she doesn't need/want full collision coverage. Liability has a max in AB now, I think it's around $1600.

If you want a new car, find cars that young people don't like to drive and the insurance will be cheaper. Nothing sporty or fast. Ones that don't usually get stolen as well.

anhsicun
08-27-2008, 07:25 PM
okay, how much do people usually spend on a car if your not gonna get full coverage ? also would 1995 ish 4dr civic or a 1998 acura 1.6 el be a good canidate? thier both not sporty nor fast , but down side thier both can be easily stolen tho. she has about 8 thousand to spend on a car, and she also 22 if that makes any difference.

sr20s14zenki
08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by realazy
Just get a cheap car where she doesn't need/want full collision coverage. Liability has a max in AB now, I think it's around $1600.

If you want a new car, find cars that young people don't like to drive and the insurance will be cheaper. Nothing sporty or fast. Ones that don't usually get stolen as well.

sorry man, thats a crock. Every company has different rates and there is no cap, i know, my wife is a broker. As for what car, as long as you arent putting collision on the car, it doesnt matter what car it is.

as for being stolen, just make sure you put theft and fire on it. Any car can be stolen if they want it bad enuff. A civic is a good car, toyota corolla, nissan maxima is in your price range, i have two of them, both with between 250 and 300,000km on them. Also, good mileage, about 500 to a tank always...and its fairly roomy.

Companys take into consideration the following

-what area you live, ie, crossfield is cheaper than calgary, blah blah blah
-how long youve been licensed
-how long youve been insured
-tickets or accidents

schocker
08-27-2008, 07:55 PM
the cheapest car would be an older compact domestic.

Masked Bandit
08-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by anhsicun
okay, how much do people usually spend on a car if your not gonna get full coverage ? also would 1995 ish 4dr civic or a 1998 acura 1.6 el be a good canidate? thier both not sporty nor fast , but down side thier both can be easily stolen tho. she has about 8 thousand to spend on a car, and she also 22 if that makes any difference.

It really depends on her personal finances and tolerance for risk. She has to be comfortable knowing that if she smashes up the car without collision coverage, the value of that car will be gone. For some people, their personal limit might be $1500. For some, it's in the $5000 range.

Assuming she is newly license with driver training her PLPD will come in around $140 a month.

anhsicun
08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
thanks for all the info

shin0bi
08-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Sunfire/Cavaliers are supposedly pretty cheap to insure.
And cheap to buy also.

mowglee
09-01-2008, 12:33 PM
MAXIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA lol

GTS Jeff
09-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

sorry man, thats a crock. Every company has different rates and there is no cap, i know, my wife is a broker.

Your wife may be an insurance broker, but you're a nobody.

http://www.kanetix.ca/ic_auto_info_auto_articles_41

sr20s14zenki
09-01-2008, 01:17 PM
ill respond nicely to your moronic post, and by the way, who gets 500,000$ liability....not even a million is enough. Yes, now we have the grid system, and if you are a new driver with drivers training, you qualify for grid -2, which is 90% of the alberta premium, whatever it is,which seems to be 1800....because most companys will discourage you from getting half a million, because half a million is not enuff. what if you kill a whole family? is half a million gonna cover it? not a chance. Ok, you are right, there is a "cap" because of the grid, and insurance brokers have to use the cheaper of the two. So, your insurance broker quotes you grid rates with ING for example, and then quote you non grid rate of ING, and whatever is cheaper, they have to use. You can go over that "cap" by the way with endorsements, which you would be stupid not to ask for, such as SEF-44, which insures you if somebody hits you that is uninsured. Why dont you read the last part of that nice little page you posted for me, where it talks about section B and how the cap only effects your minimum rates. What idiot gets the minimums.

A790
09-01-2008, 02:10 PM
ill respond nicely to your moronic post, and by the way, who gets 500,000$ liability....not even a million is enough. Yes, now we have the grid system, and if you are a new driver with drivers training, you qualify for grid -2, which is 90% of the alberta premium, whatever it is,which seems to be 1800....because most companys will discourage you from getting half a million, because half a million is not enuff. what if you kill a whole family? is half a million gonna cover it? not a chance. Ok, you are right, there is a "cap" because of the grid, and insurance brokers have to use the cheaper of the two. So, your insurance broker quotes you grid rates with ING for example, and then quote you non grid rate of ING, and whatever is cheaper, they have to use. You can go over that "cap" by the way with endorsements, which you would be stupid not to ask for, such as SEF-44, which insures you if somebody hits you that is uninsured. Why dont you read the last part of that nice little page you posted for me, where it talks about section B and how the cap only effects your minimum rates. What idiot gets the minimums.

Wow, ANGER AAAAAAANNNNNNGER.

In the first post you made you said there is no cap, but now there is? Which is it?

The bottom line is that the grid system prevents insurance companies from gouging new drivers. The OP's girlfriend will fall into the grid and get grid rates. The grid doesn't simply apply to $500,000 coverage, and she'll get a decent rate with $1,000,000 coverage.

Every car and driver falls under the grid, meaning that basic PLPD coverage for a NSX is the same as it is for a Civic.

sr20s14zenki
09-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by A790

Wow, ANGER AAAAAAANNNNNNGER.

In the first post you made you said there is no cap, but now there is? Which is it?

The bottom line is that the grid system prevents insurance companies from gouging new drivers. The OP's girlfriend will fall into the grid and get grid rates. The grid doesn't simply apply to $500,000 coverage, and she'll get a decent rate with $1,000,000 coverage.

Every car and driver falls under the grid, meaning that basic PLPD coverage for a NSX is the same as it is for a Civic.

I said there was no cap because i asked the wife the question in the wrong way, i stand corrected, but what i was saying is that there is no set amount for your TOTAL insurance payment, only your plpd minus sef-44 and blah blah blah I am well aware the grid applys to anything, and anybody, thanks.

GTS Jeff
09-01-2008, 11:04 PM
...i asked the wife the question in the wrong way, i stand corrected This just makes my first post fuckin PROPHETIC then. :rofl:

tm88
09-02-2008, 12:30 AM

Ii stand corrected,

not to be a smart ass or anything, or to know anything about this subject however i would assume that you sit corrected? unless you really do stand at your computer.

anhsicun
09-02-2008, 10:12 PM
got my lazy ass up and got her a quote for full coverage on a car she was looking at purchasing. It was a 1992 lexus Ls 400, she was quoted 182 a month. the 2nd one was basically everything a full coverage would cover, except if she at fault in a accident they won't pay for her car and that one was 135 / month. the last one was 120 but no libilty and fire / theft but will cover other person car in accident. over all i was surprise, thought she be quoted like 300 a month for full coverage, she be paying less insurance then me lol

pyroza
09-02-2008, 10:45 PM
How old is she? Females also get lower rates >_<

anhsicun
09-03-2008, 09:01 PM
oh reallie, i didn't know that but yah she's 22 got her GDL a week and half ago, still looking for her 1st car.

pyroza
09-03-2008, 10:20 PM
For basic transportation you really can't go wrong with something like a civic or corolla.

forbiddenera
09-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by tm88

not to be a smart ass or anything, or to know anything about this subject however i would assume that you sit corrected? unless you really do stand at your computer.

yeah
cuz that's not being a smart ass