PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first car! Needing advices! (Thinking about a BMW)

Smooth-Op
08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey guys!

I just graduated from University and now it's time for me to buy my very first car! =)
I'm 22, and the only car I've been using for the past 3 years is my parents SunFire 2005... An automatic.
Now that I’m finally out of school and working. I'm looking to get something a little more exciting and funnier to drive than a ******* SunFire... However, I’ve never really been too much into cars… so that’s why I need advices from you guys ;P
Here’s my situation/profile:
I live in Canada (Quebec) so there’s quite a bit of snow during most of the year where I live… so I was thinking about getting an AWD vehicle.
Also, I’ve really always liked BMWs so I was thinking about getting an used BMW 325XI, 328XI or 330XI between 2000-2004. I’d like to put under 20 000$ if possible for the car.

So now here are my questions :

What do you guys think of BMW?

I’ve red a bit about BMW and some ppl on forums say that BMW owners are mainly douchebags and assholes… is it a very spread conception?

Are those good years (2000-2004) for this model (3xxXI)?

How’s the consumption on those cars?

How much should I expect to pay per year for repairs ‘n shit?

If you have another car to suggest, feel free to do so but for now I’m really leaning toward a BMW.

Thanks!!

hks
08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
i think you'll be hard pressed to find an AWD BMW newer than 2002 for under 20k. plus, they're not the cheapest cars to maintain.

the car itself is decent, but it might not be worth it in the long run.

Smooth-Op
08-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Doesn't really have to be a 330. I believe the 325 will have all the HP I need.

Plus it looks identical, right? And consume less?

realazy
08-27-2008, 06:46 PM
The 325xi isn't gonna be very fun to drive. It's much slower than the 330xi and even slower than a regular 325i.

The above poster is right about it being hard to find an xi model under $20gs. Seeing you are in Quebec however, that would mean cheaper cars. Bmw's will cost a bit more to maintain and since the years you are looking for a probably out of warrenty, I would save up a couple grand for repairs.

Look for 2002+ for the facelift version, I personally think that looks a lot better than the pre-facelift sedans.

I don't know what else to recommend, but as with all used cars, make sure everything checks out with a mechanic and accident histories, etc.

MMAfighter
08-27-2008, 07:47 PM
under $20,000? Dude, go get yourself a Honda S2000. I don't know how much it costs in Canada, but in the states, you can get an ap1 for about $14,500 under 30K miles.

I've seen ap2 selling for $16,000-$18,000 (depending on the miles) and that is one hell of a deal. The only problem is, you're probably going to have to ship it, or drive down here, and drive it back up. I'll give you the links if you're interested.

Also, personally I wouldn't get any of the older BMW's because 1. Maintenance 2. Chances of it breaking down and you being disappointed. Like someone mentioned above, it might look good price wise, but wouldn't be good in the long run.

Your best bet would be a S2000, or heck, even an Impreza WRX (which sell here $15,000 gutted) since these are both fun cars to drive and would be much better than driving a BMW which has half the stats of these two cars. Personally, the 2000-2004 BMW 3 series have lifeless steering. However, the new 328i, 335i twin turbos are completely difference stories!

CLiVE
08-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I have a 2002 325XIT. Great car, enough power, great on the highways. Gas mileage is great ~600kms/tank, handles amazing in the winter. Best all-round car I have ever owned. It has been very reliable, I bought the vehicle just out of warranty and have put over 30,000kms on it now with no problems whatsoever. You should be able to find an 02/03 for around the $20K mark if you keep an eye out. If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM.

All depends what you are looking for in a car. Great all-round car IMO and my favorite of all the cars I have owned.
(celica, stealth, land rover, mini, lancer)

FiveFreshFish
08-27-2008, 10:38 PM
If you're getting AWD, consider a 2002+ Audi A4 quattro.

rage2
08-27-2008, 10:40 PM
S2K? In Quebec? Do u know how much it snows in Quebec? :rofl:.

300zxfairlday
08-27-2008, 10:43 PM
I vote for an audi also

AE92_TreunoSC
08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
I'd say the E46 awd is far from perfect, but actually far more reliable then an A4. (trying not to be biased, but I work on audis and bmw's for a living)

The modern Audi's with the 2.0T are the only ones I'd consider. But they are above the price range you set.

mark4091
08-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Good to see other people saying Audi on here before I even got in. You can get a 2002 Audi 2.6l AWD for about 8-10k if you're lucky.

gpomp
08-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by mark4091
Good to see other people saying Audi on here before I even got in. You can get a 2002 Audi 2.6l AWD for about 8-10k if you're lucky. plus $8-10k in repairs every year!

TorqueDog
08-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Smooth-Op, yeah, you've heard the BMW = BMDouchery stereotype... seems to be largely a Beyond thing, I wouldn't worry about it ... if you're thinking of buying a BMW just so you can tell everyone you drive a BMW, please don't buy one. And if you're afraid of buying a car because of the possibility that it'll cause people to automatically label you a 'douche', you should keep better company.

If you're thinking of buying a BMW because they are, genuinely, very nice well built cars, go for it. And if there's one car that never ceases to impress me in its driving dynamics generation after generation, it's the 3-Series BMW. I drive a 5-series, but I still think the 3-Series epitomizes the "Ultimate Driving Machine" motto that BMW once slapped all over its marketing materials. The biggest complaints I've ever had with BMW are a) Chris Bangle, and b) their useless cupholders. But a) of the cars Bangle has bungled, the 3-Series fared probably the best of the range (and a Bangle is out of your price range), and b) you should be paying attention to the road instead of trying to drink coffee.

Alternatively, you could also swing an Audi. You'll probably find the Audi for cheaper, but having friends who are Euro owners, they do tend to experience more repair bills than those with the BMWs. So weigh your options accordingly; low buying price, more frequent repairs or higher buying price, less frequent repairs. Of course, anyone who has been an owner of a car off warranty knows that it doesn't matter what sort of car you buy, you could end up with a lemon, or the most reliable car you've ever owned. (Don't know if I'd trust an '02 A4 for $8k-10k, though.)

No matter which you choose, do a Pre Purchase Inspection. The ~$150 you spend only to 'walk away' from a car with potential problems is a drop in the bucket compared to what repairs you could incur had you bought the thing.

The other option is also buying a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle through BMW. Despite my car being an '02, it did in fact come with a CPO warranty. Not a bad deal. The dealer will have more info on this.

Originally posted by MMAfighter
under $20,000? Dude, go get yourself a Honda S2000. I don't know how much it costs in Canada, but in the states, you can get an ap1 for about $14,500 under 30K miles. WTF? Are you on crack? The guy wants an AWD daily driver and you're suggesting an S2000?

... fuck.

Smooth-Op
08-28-2008, 05:43 AM
lol @ TorqueDog.

Yeah I've got some friends that are S2000 owners but they can only drive it during summer (bout 4 months/year).

I'm really looking for a car I'll be driving all year long.

Still gotta think this through a lot... thanks for the advices so far and please keep them comin'.

Oh... also, do you think a bimmer's a good car to pick up girls?

I mean, between a '03 BMW 330XI and a 2008 Toyo Matrix, which car's more likely to get me some??

Don't laugh... a guy gotta think about those things. Might help making up my mind you know!

signature7
08-28-2008, 06:09 AM
probably the bimmer will get more attention from the ladies but if you're good you could pull it off in a rust bucket.

If you have your heart set on a bmw just make sure you get it inspected. An Awd matrix wouldn't be a bad idea though. It has the requirements you're looking for, you could even put a large down payment and pay monthly. It won't be a bmw, but it'll have warranty and it's brand new.

Casa
08-28-2008, 06:28 AM
i'd personally get a 04+ Subaru WRX. Hell you can afford an WRX STI (04-05) from the States for twenty grand! they're awd, not too too heavy on maintainence IF YOU FIND ONE THAT HAS BEEN MAINTAINED (which may be tough to do), they're very quick, they look sharp, and they're a good car for Quebec winter. Good resale value too in Canada.

ShiDave
08-28-2008, 06:58 AM
So someone who doesn't know anything about cars wants to buy a BMW? Sounds about right.

Smooth-Op
08-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by ShiDave
So someone who doesn't know anything about cars wants to buy a BMW? Sounds about right.

Instead of trolling my thread, how about you sugest a car dude...

Krytical
08-28-2008, 07:49 AM
If your suggesting advice from us to pick a car to get you laid when you cannot do it without a car, use the 20'gs on your face.

Quiet10
08-28-2008, 08:07 AM
^ stupid '08

Anyway, I'm with the people saying 02-04 subarus especially if it snows as much as I hear in Quebec.

:burnout:

SJW
08-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ShiDave

Too Funny Dude.

CLiVE
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by signature7
probably the bimmer will get more attention from the ladies but if you're good you could pull it off in a rust bucket.

If you have your heart set on a bmw just make sure you get it inspected. An Awd matrix wouldn't be a bad idea though. It has the requirements you're looking for, you could even put a large down payment and pay monthly. It won't be a bmw, but it'll have warranty and it's brand new.

:werd: The BMW would likely get more attention, but an AWD matrix would likely be more reliable and a great first car to own. The more sensible car to own.

If you really want to do the smart thing, save some money, find a good used AWD matrix. Chances are with the matrix you won't need the warranty anyways. Consider a Vibe as well. Same vehicle, but used prices are quite a bit lower.

ZorroAMG
08-28-2008, 08:43 AM
LMFAO at the goof from Los Angeles suggesting an S2K for someone in quebec.

3ft of snowfall in one day isn't uncommon there.....'08s strike again!!

You might also want to consider an older mercedes 4matic for your needs but my stepfather in Quebec has a 2000 C230 kompressor RWD with winter tires and he does fine even living out in the country (sutton, canton de l'est)

Good luck with the purchase and no, BMW doesn't have a douchebag rep in Quebec, since Quebecers themselves come with a douchebag rep built-in.

:D

TorqueDog
08-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by CLiVE
:werd: The BMW would likely get more attention, but an AWD matrix would likely be more reliable and a great first car to own. The more sensible car to own.The Matrix is also boring as hell, and would make any one who actually 'enjoys' driving jump in front of a semi to make the hurting stop.

If you're buying a BMW just to pick up girls, you either a) need to look for less shallow women or b) should spend that $20k on a personality transplant.

Smooth-Op
08-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
... If you're buying a BMW just to pick up girls, you either a) need to look for less shallow women or b) should spend that $20k on a personality transplant.

lol come on guys I was just trying to be funny.

Well of course thoughts like this when through my mind (no gf atm) but I really don't need to rely on a car to pick up girls. I'm just saying that owning a car that girls like is an added value for me ;) (should be that way for any normally constituated men imo)

TorqueDog
08-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Smooth-Op
lol come on guys I was just trying to be funny.

Well of course thoughts like this when through my mind (no gf atm) but I really don't need to rely on a car to pick up girls. I'm just saying that owning a car that girls like is an added value for me ;) (should be that way for any normally constituated men imo) Haha hey man, just lookin' out for you. I've dated enough hot, shallow girls in my time to know that they aren't worth the bother. A crap personality is a deal-breaker every time.

This (very long) Ron White quote will validate my above statement:

I didn't marry my wife for looks, and you shouldn't either.

In a few years, if her boobs start to sag too much, there's a place you can go to and they'll lift 'em right back up to where they were. And you can point the nipple in any direction. Hell, you can go to a titty bar, pick out a set of titties and say "I want those titties, on that woman right there."

If she gets too fat and she don't wanna work it off, you can get a tummy tuck. They'll give you a belly that looks like a cheerleader.

If your eyesight starts to go bad, you can get Lasik surgery, and they can give you 20/20 vision at any age.

If your hearing starts to fail, they'll put a little device in your ear that makes you hear as good as when you were born.

But let me tell you something folks... you can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take. There's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever.

aram1000
08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I purchased my first BMW earlier this year, a 2000 323i with sport package. I am pleased with my purchase, its fun to drive and I am pretty impressed with the factory sport package. Definately get a pre purchase inspection done, when i was looking around, some had a good price, but after the inspection they would need some common bmw maintenance items which can get pricey (ie: breaks, suspension components, etc). So long as you find one thats had regular maintenance done, you should be ok. As for fuel consumption, have to use premium which is a bit expensive, however i typically get about 550 km\tank in the city, which is alright IMO. Look around, do your research, and take your time. As for the XI models, I wasn't impressed with it, when you drive that and drive a RWD model, i found the XI to feel sluggish. Also the XI is going to drink more fuel. In terms of winter drivability, i figure so long as you have good winter tires you should be ok, but i haven't had mine in winter yet, however the bmw i got did come with winter tires. Good luck with your search