PDA

View Full Version : China City on Heritage SE

nonlinear
08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
has anyone been here? I usually HATE Chinese food, but this place is fucking awesome. they've been there for over 47 years! what do you guys think?

dannie
08-28-2008, 12:07 PM
They suck at being hygenic

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/health-inspections/SearchServlet?direct=search&letter=&name=china+city&address=&municipality=1

gqmw
08-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
has anyone been here? I usually HATE Chinese food, but this place is fucking awesome. they've been there for over 47 years! what do you guys think?

I don't understand how you can hate chinese food...

Penis McNickels
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by dannie

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/health-inspections/SearchServlet?direct=search&letter=&name=china+city&address=&municipality=1

A group of us once went to our favourite dim sum restaurant only to find it had been temporarily closed down by the health board. We all stood there, reading the sign, a bit perplexed and then finally one of the guys broke the silence and said,

"Whatever, I'll be back"

Which we did...

As if you never ate something off of the floor before.

dj_rice
08-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Penis McNickels

A group of us once went to our favourite dim sum restaurant only to find it had been temporarily closed down by the health board. We all stood there, reading the sign, a bit perplexed and then finally one of the guys broke the silence and said,

"Whatever, I'll be back"
Which we did...

:werd: :werd:

Originally posted by dj_rice
Exactly, I dont go in expecting A+ customer service out of any Pho or Chinese restaurant, hell the dirtier the restaurant, the better all these white people are so uptight with customer service and cleanliness its getting retarded...hopefully U & Me re-opens soon

Quizzes
08-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by dannie

It's like a rapper going to jail. That's how they earn their street cred.

SJW
08-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Its safe for me to assume that ALL chinese restaurants break the health code. I'll never step in one again.

Note: My assumption is my own personal opinion centered around my own health.

jazzyb
08-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Penis McNickels

"Whatever, I'll be back"

Which we did...

So if moxies or even McDonalds had the conditions of a chinese restraunt would you eat there?

For f's sake

jazzyb
08-28-2008, 04:03 PM
To all the people saying "white people are so uptight about hygeine" i ask the above also!

Would you eat at moxies, cactus club or even mcdonals if u were sure ur food is being prepared in a dirt, and filth contaminated area?

I'm not white, so I can say they are'nt the only one's uptight about their health.

SJW
08-28-2008, 09:48 PM
My buddy is a health inspector. I know the violators in the city.

C4S
08-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I hate chinese food as well .. :whipped:

In Calgary ... I can eat tim horton everyday here ... but not chinese food .. :banghead:

If I am not coming from HK .. or if I never went to Vancouver/Toronto/LA/NY/SF etc .. I may not hate chinese good in Calgary that much .. :cry:

Some are ok .. but in general .. crap! :thumbsdow

mucat
08-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by jazzyb

So if moxies or even McDonalds had the conditions of a chinese restraunt would you eat there?

For f's sake

The Moxies in Market Mall stinks literally. I don't know why. I went there once and never dare to go in again.

irs
08-29-2008, 07:34 AM
I have only eatten take out from there.
It is alright.

max_boost
08-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Some of you guys are tripping out way too much over the CHR's report. OK some of them are really bad but for a lot of places, a lot of them are just general infractions. The Inspector has to find some sort of violation. I mean unless you are running a 5 star restaurant with 50 people doing the job that 10 can, there are going to be things that will come up.

For example.

Employee forgets to put a lid over the meat in the cooler.

Inspector will write it up as:

"The food in this establishment is not being protected from contamination"

Of course that shit sounds bad when you read it!

Anyway, trying to find the perfect restaurant with zero infractions is the same as finding the perfect driver who never exceeds the speed limit, always signals, waits at the stop sign for 3 seconds etc. etc. who does everything by the book. Right.....

Oh yeah, don't piss off the people who are making your food!

nonlinear
08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
on that CHR site, it's actually difficult to fins a restaurant that doesn't have a long list of infractions...

someone asked how can I hate chinese food... i dunno, i just find that it's often very low-quality ingredients, super super greasy, and has been sitting under a heat lamp all day long. but china city seems much better. it's fresh and grease-free. it tastes GREAT, which may be due to MSG, but I don't find myself getting really thirsty off it so maybe not.

plus, anywhere that's been in business for 47+ years is doing something right.

max_boost
08-29-2008, 02:02 PM
^^^

Every restaurant is going to have a list of infractions. If you read them all you'll find yourself eating at home. LOL

Buffet? For value and selection.

Can be very hit and miss sometimes. Depends how busy it is, time of day, if things are getting reloaded etc.

I prefer going out and ordering plates to get the hot/fresh thing. I don't mind paying more.

-TOFU-
08-29-2008, 02:34 PM
I find that the dirtier the kitchen is in a chinese restaurant the better the food taste. :dunno: besides I got sick more times eating at wendys or mcdonalds then a chinese restaurant.

zarge
08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by SJW
My buddy is a health inspector. I know the violators in the city.

You are very cool.

kenny
08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Been eating out at chinese food restaurants all my life, and never been sick. If the food is contaminated, my body has built up immunity to it.

A chinese restaurant and its owners were fined over $20k last month for improper handling of food, and various other violations (21 on the last inspection). That case was considered one of the worst inspectors had seen. 7 Years, and not one person got sick and made a complaint to have the restaurant shut down.

Notice how more people get sick at restaurants that are supposedly clean? Bunch of people got sick from a McDonalds a couple years back, or Peter's Drive In last year.

nonlinear
08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^^

Every restaurant is going to have a list of infractions. If you read them all you'll find yourself eating at home. LOL

yea, totally man! i don't pay much mind unless i get food poisioning somewhere, in which case I usually won't go back.

nonlinear
08-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Been eating out at chinese food restaurants all my life, and never been sick. If the food is contaminated, my body has built up immunity to it.

A chinese restaurant and its owners were fined over $20k last month for improper handling of food, and various other violations (21 on the last inspection). That case was considered one of the worst inspectors had seen. 7 Years, and not one person got sick and made a complaint to have the restaurant shut down.

Notice how more people get sick at restaurants that are supposedly clean? Bunch of people got sick from a McDonalds a couple years back, or Peter's Drive In last year.

yea, it's not the greasy walls that turn me off at most chinese kitchens, but instead the extremely poor food quality (ingredients), the pool of grease that the food usually 'rests' in under a heat lamp, etc. etc. it just doesn't taste good to me.

Hell, I'm originally from the US and there I would eat in the dirtiest, most bacterial-infested kitchens you've ever seen! just as bad or worse than a chinese kitchen.

mexican food (even bad mexican food) is way better than the average chinese food, though :D

(i'm speaking about western 'chinese' food... i've never actually been to china, but it's a completely different cuisine than what is served in most kitchens here, from what i understand)

szw
08-29-2008, 05:34 PM
http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2008/02/rats_feast_at_dumpling_house/

(i'm speaking about western 'chinese' food... i've never actually been to china, but it's a completely different cuisine than what is served in most kitchens here, from what i understand)

You don't have to go to china to eat non-western chinese food. Just stop going to restaurants with heat lamps.

mucat
08-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Heat lamps? Are you talking about chinese BBQ?

mucat
08-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by irs
I have only eatten take out from there.
It is alright.

The food in the Moxies in Market Mall is ok, nothing special about it. But the restaurant is smelly. You got to try eat inside. ;)

szw
08-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by mucat
Heat lamps? Are you talking about chinese BBQ?

Chinese BBQ shouldn't have heat lamps!

mucat
08-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by szw

Chinese BBQ shouldn't have heat lamps!

I am not sure but I thought it is required to have heat lamp for BBQ meat?

szw
08-29-2008, 11:16 PM
I guess that explains a bunch of the violations then doesn't it?

nonlinear
08-30-2008, 09:43 AM
i guess i didn't mean heat lamps, but more the 'steam tables' or whatever that they use to heat/keep food hot.

i guess you could use lamps, steam tables, stove, oven, or whatever

pinoyhero
08-30-2008, 10:06 AM
That name alone, lets me know its authentic food from China, their Ginger Beef must be to die for

nonlinear
08-30-2008, 11:47 AM
it's definitely not authentic, but it sure is good!

szw
08-30-2008, 04:50 PM
i guess i didn't mean heat lamps, but more the 'steam tables' or whatever that they use to heat/keep food hot.

I know, I also meant heat lamps, steam tables, and things used to keep food hot. Go to restaurants without these. There are tons of authentic style restaurants even in Calgary you could go to. Don't expect a buffet.

mucat
08-30-2008, 11:03 PM

Authentic chinese restuarants usually don't use those. They are more for buffets.