PDA

View Full Version : Lancer Evo Vs Imprezza

-APEX-
09-09-2003, 08:35 PM
hey i jus wanted to know what people thought what was better the mitsubish lancer evo. or the subaru imprezza

finboy
09-09-2003, 08:58 PM
srt 4 :D

pinoyhero
09-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by finboy
srt 4 :D

Nice answer

4DoorGTZ
09-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Answer to your EXACT question. The Evo, hands down. Its turbo charged it has about 140hp advantage (guess on the regular impreza stats)

Answer to the question you wanted to ask "Lancer Evo vs Impreza WRX STI" Its very close and depends on what you look for in a car; handling, straight line speed, comfort, value......

Eric Happy Meal
09-09-2003, 09:12 PM
id go with the STI, but id want it to be a GC8 body style.

That.Guy.S30
09-09-2003, 09:15 PM
its an unfair comparision. i would go with the sti tho

AquamosH
09-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Tough one, but I'm also going w/ the STI.

-APEX-
09-09-2003, 09:21 PM
i'd take the lancer hands down its way better for style and its a four do sedan that was made for rally thats awsome

Boostn
09-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Evo for me, can't go wrong with the tried and true 4G63 engine.

nexxus
09-09-2003, 09:32 PM
I'd take both:D

SilverRex
09-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Im assuming its evo 8 vs sti then on a track course I believe the evo 8 out does the sti. however I will still choose the sti simply overall quality of the car and quick acceleration off the line.

Eric Happy Meal
09-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by surfertech
its an unfair comparision. i would go with the sti tho

its unfair because they cost within 3 grand of each other, both are 4cyl, both are turboed, both are 4-door, and both have the same curbweight right??? :rolleyes:

Canadian 2.5RS
09-09-2003, 10:01 PM
I would take the evo over the wrx, but the sti over the evo.

above all i would want the new sti drivetrain in my car.

oh, and the intercooler sprayer and the seats and the guages and a few other items here and there.:bigpimp:

CKY
09-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by nexxus
I'd take both:D

me too :D , but if i do hav 2 choose, it'd b the lancer over the sti, just cuz its cornering out performes the sti n i like the looks of the evo better (sexy red)

ryder_23
09-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by -APEX-
its a four do sedan

Uhh...so is the STI....

hjr
09-10-2003, 03:14 PM
i'd take the lancer hands down its way better for style and its a four do sedan that was made for rally thats awsome well the Evo is based on a rally version, but so it the STi. The Evo is supposedly a better handler, but the STi has more power and acceleration. But in the end it doenst matter because you cant get an EVO in canada. Now regular lancer vs. reg. impreza the impreza wins.

hjr
09-10-2003, 03:17 PM
also, do a little research yourself before comming here. You can get the trims of all the cars and their stats on the internet, as well as the pricing. And if you lucky, you may just find out how to spell the name correctly. FYI - Impreza, not Imprezza.

alloroc
09-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Both are great cars and both are WAY out of my price range. In most of the drving tests the critics have preferred the Evo for its handling but I have heard there is more aftermarket suspension packages for the subbie that correct it's issues. If I had the choice I would pick the STI.

There is one problem. At this moment in Canada we don't have a choice.

I had heard both the Evo and the Dodge SRT-4 both failed the 8 km/h crash test due to their front mount intercoolers...
apparently to pass the test the dmg cannot exceet 200 dollars in replaced goods... the crash test actually crushes the intercooler causing a hefty 1000 dollars dmg...

The STi passed because it has a top mount intercooler avoiding the potential dmg to the intercooler.

finboy
09-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Both are great cars and both are WAY out of my price range. In most of the drving tests the critics have preferred the Evo for its handling but I have heard there is more aftermarket suspension packages for the subbie that correct it's issues. If I had the choice I would pick the STI.

There is one problem. At this moment in Canada we don't have a choice.

I had heard both the Evo and the Dodge SRT-4 both failed the 8 km/h crash test due to their front mount intercoolers...
apparently to pass the test the dmg cannot exceet 200 dollars in replaced goods... the crash test actually crushes the intercooler causing a hefty 1000 dollars dmg...

The STi passed because it has a top mount intercooler avoiding the potential dmg to the intercooler.

as far as i've heard the srt4 is due for canada next year, which now comes with a limited slip diff :clap: :burnout:

Akagi Redsuns
09-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Can I pick the 22B-STi?? I love that car....

I have to go with the WRX STi. I like the fact that it comes with the 2.5L, something that other markets don't get (other markets get a better EVO with the adjustable center-diff split). I also like that the WRX makes more power at a lower boost level.

Both are great cars and without driving both, my bias is towards the STi....but you never know until you get behind the wheel of one and see for yourself.

ZMan2k2
09-10-2003, 09:34 PM
I'd go with the Subie. Here's why, the Mitsu's are rusting already.
:rolleyes:
Mitsu forum page about rust on EVO (http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?threadid=38336&highlight=rust)

CKY
09-10-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
I'd go with the Subie. Here's why, the Mitsu's are rusting already.
:rolleyes:
Mitsu forum page about rust on EVO (http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?threadid=38336&highlight=rust)
man i hope they fix up that rust problem, how did it even get pass the QC? 2months n rusting?!?!?!

HOK
09-11-2003, 12:51 AM
hahahaha thats AL's car too hahahaha

That.Guy.S30
09-11-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Eric Happy Meal

its unfair because they cost within 3 grand of each other, both are 4cyl, both are turboed, both are 4-door, and both have the same curbweight right??? :rolleyes: no unaifr becuase he said impreza vs evo, which has a price difference of at least 20 g's? if he said sti vs evo than yes its fair but he didnt

tulit
09-11-2003, 05:35 PM
no unaifr becuase he said impreza vs evo, which has a price difference of at least 20 g's? if he said sti vs evo than yes its fair but he didnt

The STi IS an Impreza. Its just a trim level.

Impreza TS
Impreza RS
Impreza OBS
Impreza WRX
Impreza STi

That.Guy.S30
09-11-2003, 06:36 PM
yes i know but he never said which trim level? ie wrx sti or just a ts. lets say he compares a lancer evo against a impreza ts. fair? no

-APEX-
09-11-2003, 06:54 PM
hey is'nt the dodge srt 4 out for sale in canada aleady?

-APEX-
09-11-2003, 06:58 PM
i tottaly was'nt sure cause i was down town by a mazda dealerchip pretty sure it malbrough mazda i think it was close to down town but any way i herd this roaing engine i thought it was some one cheking out an rx8 but it was a srt4 racing a pontiac sunfire gt

Eric Happy Meal
09-11-2003, 07:08 PM
ok if he said impreza and evo, then why did you say that you would go with the STI???

no unaifr becuase he said impreza vs evo, which has a price difference of at least 20 g's? if he said sti vs evo than yes its fair but he didnt

finboy
09-11-2003, 07:09 PM
i tottaly was'nt sure cause i was down town by a mazda dealerchip pretty sure it malbrough mazda i think it was close to down town but any way i herd this roaing engine i thought it was some one cheking out an rx8 but it was a srt4 racing a pontiac sunfire gt

could have been an sx 2.0

there was an srt(with stage 1 upgrade) in town about a month ago, i met the owner, and a couple lucky board members got to drive it (bastards :guns: ;) ). made me really wish i wasn't broke ass :(

-APEX-
09-11-2003, 07:17 PM
yea it was like yellow it was a couple of months ago it said srt4 but someone was oging on bout them not being in canada yet

That.Guy.S30
09-11-2003, 07:20 PM
becuase i understood the question in the way he meant it to mean and becuase this question has been before. also becuase the sti is just a tuned IMPREZA wrx

-APEX-
09-11-2003, 07:20 PM
all i also remebr it had a turbo in it cause you could hear that noise you get when you shift

iced_out_00
09-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Here's some stats for ya guys... i dunno i think the WRX is better in my opinion

'04 Subaru WRX STi
$30,995
2.5L DOHC 16-valve horizontally opposed 4 cylinder, turbo charged and intercooled
300hp@6,000rpm
300 lb-ft@4,000rmp
3,263lbs
AWD, Front mount engine
6 speed manual

Now for the Evo

'03 Mitsu Lancer Evo
$28,987
2.0L DOHC 16-valve I-4, intercooled and turbocharged
271hp@6,500rpm
273lb-ft@3,500rpm
3,263lbs
AWD, Front mount engine
5 speed manual

I dunno.... you guys decide:confused: :dunno:

alloroc
09-11-2003, 08:06 PM

as far as i've heard the srt4 is due for canada next year, which now comes with a limited slip diff :clap: :burnout:

You made me check out the Chrysler web and you are right.

I wonder how Dodge pulled it off. Maybe they are shipping them with a straight pipe and having the dealerships install the I/C as an aftermarket upgrade?

However they did it, its good news because the evo8 shouldn't be far behind. Whatever dodge did I am sure Mitsu will follow suit.

-APEX-
09-11-2003, 08:06 PM
match the 03 WRX up with the 03 EVO.

Eric Happy Meal
09-11-2003, 09:31 PM
if you knew what he was asking then why in hell did you say it was unfair???

becuase i understood the question in the way he meant it to mean and becuase this question has been before. also becuase the sti is just a tuned IMPREZA wrx

-APEX-
09-11-2003, 09:39 PM
yea so the srt4 is called the import killer car and truck magazine says i cant wait to see if this is the truth its as powereful as a new honda accord but a 4cyl not a 6cyl

mutsuraboshi
09-11-2003, 09:40 PM
sti vs evo? i dunno why the magazines always have the evo come out tops... cuz... the sti is faster and the styling is better, interior hands down, if not the exterior... its seems to win by the "drive feel" all the time... thats gay

100 votes for teh sti plz :p

finboy
09-12-2003, 01:28 AM
yea so the srt4 is called the import killer car and truck magazine says i cant wait to see if this is the truth its as powereful as a new honda accord but a 4cyl not a 6cyl

it pulled on my parents auto 89 jetta pretty good but that isn't saying much.

if you think about it, the srt makes 223 hp to the front wheels, so at the crank it makes approx. 267.6 hp (20% drivetrain loss) for around 27,000 canadian.

i also heard a rumor that the stage 1 will be standard issue for all srt's, how about a mid 13 second car for 27,000 with a possible 300/300 hp/torque combo (still probably under rated) with factory waranty. buh bye sti and evo, and still thousands less $$$ :bigpimp: :thumbsup: :burnout:

That.Guy.S30
09-12-2003, 10:48 AM
just in case other ppl didnt catch it. lets say he asked wrx sti vs lancer. you dont know which one, so its an unfair comparision

-APEX-
09-12-2003, 12:35 PM
yea if it were lancer evo. and a imprezza wrx its a draw

hjr
09-12-2003, 12:42 PM
also becuase the sti is just a tuned IMPREZA wrx Not really. Its a very different car. From engine to tranny to almost everything. Tuning would imply that what was there was optimised when thats not really the case.

yea if it were lancer evo. and a imprezza wrx its a draw how about NO. A wrx is beaten hands down by the evo. Hands down. Now the impreza WRX STi vs the EVO, now thats a close one. BTW, as meantioned before. Impreza not imprezza.

-APEX-
09-12-2003, 12:47 PM
oh i c but wrx sti version i thought the was the best subaru rally car?

4wheeldrift
09-12-2003, 03:25 PM
oh i c but wrx sti version i thought the was the best subaru rally car? The best subaru rally car is the WRC 2003 (this years model). The best street drivable subaru is debatable between the STi Spec C and the north american spec STi.

And Finboy, at mid thirteens a Stage 1 SRT-4 will not outrun either the Evo or the STi. It would be close to the Evo, but still not fast enough.

CRXGuy: I love Evo! One of the best mags on the market, and worth every penny.

hjr
09-12-2003, 03:26 PM
The STi is based on the grp A car (WRC 2003). The grp N rally cars are very nearly the same vehicle as the STi (as they usually begin life as a stock STi), but the grp A has far far more development and is far more advanced. Thats why its competition for the evo, which is also based on a rally car. the WRX is just impreza with more power (basically, there is a bit more to it than that though)

-APEX-
09-12-2003, 03:29 PM
well now i get it

4wheeldrift
09-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by hjr
The STi is based on the grp A car (WRC 2003). The grp N rally cars are very nearly the same vehicle as the STi (as they usually begin life as a stock STi), but the grp A has far far more development and is far more advanced. Thats why its competition for the evo, which is also based on a rally car. the WRX is just impreza with more power (basically, there is a bit more to it than that though) The WRC 2003 IS NOT a group A car, the top class in WRC hasn't been Group A since Tommi last won a title. The WRC machines you see on TV are part of a WRC class, that is very, very different from Group A. By WRC regulations, they don't have to homologate more than 5 cars for the WRC class, which is all the teams cars. Every year the WRC class car has less and less in common with the street going STi's, because the WRC class allows massive changes compared to what you could get away with in group A, where the homologation requirement was 5000 cars and you couldn't do a whole heck of a lot to change the chassis/drivetrain. The stuff you used to see on the Group A cars is now showing up in Group N as the group N machines have gotten progressively more advanced with trickle down technology from the WRC class cars. The north american spec STi isn't even competition legal, with its turbo 2.5 its over the displacement limits for Group N.

finboy
09-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
The best subaru rally car is the WRC 2003 (this years model). The best street drivable subaru is debatable between the STi Spec C and the north american spec STi.

And Finboy, at mid thirteens a Stage 1 SRT-4 will not outrun either the Evo or the STi. It would be close to the Evo, but still not fast enough.

CRXGuy: I love Evo! One of the best mags on the market, and worth every penny.

hmm, saw a brand new STi at the track running low 14's :D

4wheeldrift
09-12-2003, 04:34 PM

hmm, saw a brand new STi at the track running low 14's :D Bad driver ;) Guys in the states are running high twelves with stock cars.

finboy
09-12-2003, 04:37 PM
two different drivers, guys in the states are running high to mid 13's on stock srt's with slicks. tag on the stage 1 and the lsd from the factory and you have an sti hunter for thousands less ;)

4wheeldrift
09-12-2003, 04:47 PM
two different drivers, guys in the states are running high to mid 13's on stock srt's with slicks. tag on the stage 1 and the lsd from the factory and you have an sti hunter for thousands less ;) Slicks are good for quite a bit of time at the 1320. The STi's I'm talking about are running high performance street tires, not in NEARLY the same class as even a drag radial, never mind a slick. Put slicks on a stock STi and you'll be running mid to low 12s. And even with an LSD you won't beat well driven STi or Evo out of the hole. Nor will a 300hp SRT-4 be a terribly drivable car once the conditions turn to drek.

finboy
09-12-2003, 04:50 PM
the slicks just make for a more equal launch situation between an sti and srt.

i want to see the srt's to show up already to see a few races between the subie and dodge.

Z24
09-12-2003, 04:54 PM
STI has a better quality interior. The evo does have better track time in the magazines but I think it'd be a driver's race on the street. If the Evo come to canada with an interior not as cheap looking as it is now, then I'd go with the evo

Eric Happy Meal
09-12-2003, 06:58 PM
no one thought that. and if you knew exactley what he meant what made you think others wouldnt?

just in case other ppl didnt catch it. lets say he asked wrx sti vs lancer. you dont know which one, so its an unfair comparision

HOK
09-12-2003, 07:27 PM
where is there a 12 sec STI... no one in the states has done with a stock STI as far as i know... i've seen as low as 13.3 stock.. and thats exactly what a low 14 up here is... give or take .1-.2

4wheeldrift
09-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by HOK
where is there a 12 sec STI... no one in the states has done with a stock STI as far as i know... i've seen as low as 13.3 stock.. and thats exactly what a low 14 up here is... give or take .1-.2 Attempting to find the relevant post

hjr
09-12-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
The WRC 2003 IS NOT a group A car, the top class in WRC hasn't been Group A since Tommi last won a title. The WRC machines you see on TV are part of a WRC class, that is very, very different from Group A. By WRC regulations, they don't have to homologate more than 5 cars for the WRC class, which is all the teams cars. Every year the WRC class car has less and less in common with the street going STi's, because the WRC class allows massive changes compared to what you could get away with in group A, where the homologation requirement was 5000 cars and you couldn't do a whole heck of a lot to change the chassis/drivetrain. The stuff you used to see on the Group A cars is now showing up in Group N as the group N machines have gotten progressively more advanced with trickle down technology from the WRC class cars. The north american spec STi isn't even competition legal, with its turbo 2.5 its over the displacement limits for Group N. ahh. im now enlightened.

finboy
09-13-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by HOK
where is there a 12 sec STI... no one in the states has done with a stock STI as far as i know... i've seen as low as 13.3 stock.. and thats exactly what a low 14 up here is... give or take .1-.2

turbo cars aren't as affected by elevation change as n/a cars, the biggest handicap i would give is .2 to .3 seconds.

Wildcat
09-13-2003, 02:41 AM
road and track pitted the the sti and evo together, i beleive the evo won by a hair, but they said it was pretty much even. I know forsure that the evo out-handled the subie tho

HOK
09-13-2003, 03:20 AM

turbo cars aren't as affected by elevation change as n/a cars, the biggest handicap i would give is .2 to .3 seconds.

I have raced my car at 3500 and at sea level.. the difference is larger then people think. its at least half a second.

-APEX-
09-14-2003, 01:16 PM
cool

Crazypl86
01-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Definately STI all the way

RWD
01-06-2005, 10:54 PM
STI!!!

Sorath
01-06-2005, 10:58 PM
sti all the way

finboy
01-06-2005, 11:04 PM
good god, this thread is 2 years old.

oh well, knowing now what i do, sti vs evo, i would take evo hands down

CryoCarnage
01-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Would have expected a poll but w/e. Recently my parents decided to get an STi and it's gonna be finished from the factory in 2 weeks. Ill tell you how it drives. :tongue:

crazydriver
01-07-2005, 01:04 AM
I'd take both.. but if forced to choose 1, i'd take the EVO!

GC84ever
01-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Me I would take a WRX STi, but I wouldn't mind an EVO either.
Isn't Mitsu is a bit of Financial trouble still?
In a perfect world, like Canadian 2.5RS, I would love to put it's drivetrain in my GC8 (GM6 for the perfectionists).

benyl
01-07-2005, 01:45 AM
SRT4!!!!

That.Guy.S30
01-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by benyl
SRT4!!!!

becuase its fassssssstaarrrrrrrrr lol. this is like nasioc all over again.

RickDaTuner
01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Nabisoc loves the SRT-4 because it is Teh Fastaarrr

Fuji
01-07-2005, 05:02 PM
OMG old thread.

GC8 still rock. The EVO is pretty pimp though, except for the serious rusting problems, and virtually no warranty if they even thought you raced it.

JAYMEZ
01-07-2005, 05:07 PM
benyl is a traitor lol.

This thread is so damn old ...

STi hands down LOL ... not being biased :rofl: