PDA

View Full Version : Setting up an Office Network

Street_Soldier
08-28-2008, 06:33 AM
OK like the title says I'm setting up an office network. I know a bit about computers and I've done simple networking before.

Heres the plan.

I have a server (running windows server) and 4 computers all with xp professional.

The server will have major programs installed and important documents. Each computer on the network will run the programs off the server.

Each computer will have no major programs or files on them. Everything will be on the server. At times I'm sure files will need to be copied to local disk but other than that I want them to be bare, so when they are cleared every night or whenever nothing drastic will change.

programs that i plan to run are mainly accounting programs along with office.

any online guides would really help me. also comments and suggestions about other ways to do this would be great.

thanks

GoChris
08-28-2008, 08:09 AM
sounds like you probably want to use terminal services. what exactly do you want suggestions on?

adam c
08-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by GoChris
sounds like you probably want to use terminal services. what exactly do you want suggestions on?

+1

Doozer
08-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Sounds like you've got a decent idea of what to do. But you haven't asked any specific questions that we can help you with though. Specific questions will get you answers (maybe).

One thing, which I'm sure you've already thought of, is to ensure you have separate back-up storage for the main server. It's always bad to have everything centrally located, and then that machines dies with no back-up....

adam c
08-28-2008, 09:41 AM
we use tapes here... its a POS but does the job

haven't had to use them yet *crosses fingers*

Toms-SC
08-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Advice:

If you are running all your important stuff off of the server make sure you have RAID or some sort of system for redundancy. With everything on that one server you have a single point of failure. This could even be an external hard drive.

Surge protect everything.

Use the server as a print server as well.

Use a small SOHO router with Firewall coming from the Shaw box. From that router hook into a switch. Hook the PC's to the switch and server to the router.

What else.. hmm

syscal
08-28-2008, 11:29 AM
What version of Windows server? SBS doesn't support Terminal Services.

Sounds like you need to rethink.

What we do is get the main server up and running, in your case SBS is the version of choice. Especially since it's run using wizard type interfaces so your troubleshooting and decision making are minimal.

Create a file share to hold the main files for your programs, ie DB for accounting program.

Redirect desktop, my documents, and profiles (with related dirs) to the server.

Keep all files and DB's on the file share and map it to a drive letter so people know it's a "home" directory.

Install the programs locally on the machines and if they are all the same computer create a ghost image.

All data and settings sit on the server, if you have a big PC issue then simply reghost, reattach to domain, and they are off and running.

PM me if you need help

rage2
08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I hate SBS ;).

syscal
08-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I hate SBS ;).

lol, so did I until I figured out it's much easier to go with the flow and use the built in management rather than try to manage the individual products.

I'm a much bigger fan of large networks but for the small business it's a perfect solution that I can sell at a decent price.

Toms-SC
08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
If you have Blackberrys in the environment get them on a BES! Seriously a kick ass free product.

Street_Soldier
08-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Doozer
Sounds like you've got a decent idea of what to do. But you haven't asked any specific questions that we can help you with though. Specific questions will get you answers (maybe).

One thing, which I'm sure you've already thought of, is to ensure you have separate back-up storage for the main server. It's always bad to have everything centrally located, and then that machines dies with no back-up....

Yeah, on top of the server, theres external drives and a tape going on too.

Originally posted by Toms-SC
Advice:

If you are running all your important stuff off of the server make sure you have RAID or some sort of system for redundancy. With everything on that one server you have a single point of failure. This could even be an external hard drive.

Surge protect everything.

Use the server as a print server as well.

Use a small SOHO router with Firewall coming from the Shaw box. From that router hook into a switch. Hook the PC's to the switch and server to the router.

What else.. hmm

Yeah the server is running RAID, but I don't understand the need for a router and a switch, I was just going to run a single router.

Originally posted by syscal
What version of Windows server? SBS doesn't support Terminal Services.

Sounds like you need to rethink.

What we do is get the main server up and running, in your case SBS is the version of choice. Especially since it's run using wizard type interfaces so your troubleshooting and decision making are minimal.

Create a file share to hold the main files for your programs, ie DB for accounting program.

Redirect desktop, my documents, and profiles (with related dirs) to the server.

Keep all files and DB's on the file share and map it to a drive letter so people know it's a "home" directory.

Install the programs locally on the machines and if they are all the same computer create a ghost image.

All data and settings sit on the server, if you have a big PC issue then simply reghost, reattach to domain, and they are off and running.

PM me if you need help

I'll check on the version of server express.

Can i just install one copy of all the programs from the server instead of installing it onto each machine?

thanks for your help everyone, i m sure i ll be asking more questions.

syscal
08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier

Can i just install one copy of all the programs from the server instead of installing it onto each machine?

thanks for your help everyone, i m sure i ll be asking more questions.

the programs don't really work that way. Windows requires system files, registry entries, etc for programs to run. Even when a program is "installed on the server" such as an Oracle DB or something like that there still needs to be a client portion installed for the user to run the program locally. We simply try to take the stupid out of things so users can do what they want but the important things are stored remotely and backed up at night.

Terminal Services is a great way to centralize program installs and whatnot but why bother with 4 people working locally? You add administration, you still have to purchase individual licenses (+ TS CALs) and you still have to access it from a running computer. That and your server needs more juice as it's no longer running background processes. With Small Business Server you can even access your PC's from home using the /remote page that is running be default. It's not the easiest setup in the world the first time but it works and gets easier after a very short learning curve.

shadowz
08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
If you have Blackberrys in the environment get them on a BES! Seriously a kick ass free product.

Free? Sweeet Im using it right now at one of my companies right now, but where did you find it for free? Or are you using the trial version?

But yes if your company has incorporated Blackberrys I highly recommend BES over the BIS(Internet service)

Street_Soldier
08-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by syscal

the programs don't really work that way. Windows requires system files, registry entries, etc for programs to run. Even when a program is "installed on the server" such as an Oracle DB or something like that there still needs to be a client portion installed for the user to run the program locally. We simply try to take the stupid out of things so users can do what they want but the important things are stored remotely and backed up at night.

Terminal Services is a great way to centralize program installs and whatnot but why bother with 4 people working locally? You add administration, you still have to purchase individual licenses (+ TS CALs) and you still have to access it from a running computer. That and your server needs more juice as it's no longer running background processes. With Small Business Server you can even access your PC's from home using the /remote page that is running be default. It's not the easiest setup in the world the first time but it works and gets easier after a very short learning curve.

thanks, i think i ll do that.

as far as the remote access thing goes know any links that can help me out?