PDA

View Full Version : Dominican Republic

lackluster
08-28-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm planning on going to the Dominican Republic in Dec and was wondering what hotels people have stayed at? I'm thinking about the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar Punta Cana, has anyone stayed there?

Thanks

dannie
08-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Yeah, we were at the Bahia in 2005. As far as resorts go, it was the same as all the others. There was nothing that was above the rest but nothing below. Try and get a room near the ocean. It is quite a long and narrow resort. They have little trams or busses (whatever you want to call them) that run the length of the resort. So be ready to walk quite a bit. The food was ok, the entertainment was ok and the beach was great.

We did an ATV tour with the resort and had a blast at that.

Overall though, I didn't enjoy Punta Cana. If you are spending the money, I would strongly suggest a place in Mexico call Huatulco. I've done the all-inclusive resort thing a lot. And Huatulco is the only city I would go back to. It is smoking hot there, the people were the nicest of any place we've been. The hotels were great, the town was great, the restaurants in town was amazing.

Just my opinion though.

Kona9
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM
I stayed at the Occidental Grande in Puerto Plata. I had a great time and the people were very friendly. Although it seems Punta Cana is the more popular Dominican spot to travel.

There is also reviews and thoughts on Beyonds Dominican travellers if you search.

FilthyMcNasty
08-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I stayed at the Grand Paradise bavaro in Punta Cana. It was pretty good. But if you wanna get a nice shady spot on the beach you gotta wake up early morn, throw your towel on a chair and then come back after lunch. Oh and Bring lots of 1 dollar bills, the staff will treat you 100x better.

BlkMaxima
08-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by FilthyMcNasty
I stayed at the Grand Paradise bavaro in Punta Cana. It was pretty good. But if you wanna get a nice shady spot on the beach you gotta wake up early morn, throw your towel on a chair and then come back after lunch. Oh and Bring lots of 1 dollar bills, the staff will treat you 100x better.

:werd:

I stayed there once too. I thought it was great.

:thumbsup: