PDA

View Full Version : Honda is ahead???

redline
08-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Interesting read...

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=584571

Mr_ET
08-28-2008, 10:23 AM
I think Toyota is also doing outstandingly well with most of their cars and trucks but they got a bit caught up when they decided to bring out the new Tundra and Sequoia.

I do agree that most other car companies, read american ones, are way behind yet again and by the time they catch up, they will be behind on something else.

VTEC is all you really need;)

LUCKYSTRIKE
08-28-2008, 10:31 AM
vtec in yo face byyyyyaaatch

Jayson
08-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by LUCKYSTRIKE

LOL

Xtrema
08-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Just in June. In July, Honda took a huge hit like everyone else.

And selling more less profitable small cars to offset the same amount of more profitable SUV/Trucks isn't a total win for the company. You have to sell 4 Fit to make up 1 sale of Ridgeline or Pilot.

Honda's lack of ability to follow trends save them.

Mr_ET
08-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Honda's lack of ability to follow trends save them.

I think it's not a lack of ability, more like they are the trend setters and everyone else sort of plays catch up (aside from Toyota)

Xtrema
08-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

I think it's not a lack of ability, more like they are the trend setters and everyone else sort of plays catch up (aside from Toyota)

Honda is never the trend setter and always late to the party.

They don't have a good mini-van til 1999. They are still on 5 speed auto while even GM products are getting 6. Late to SUV and Truck market. They are out of fashion by the time they hit. They still don't have a V8 while Hyundai already got one on the road.

The only trend Honda set was VTEC.

avishal26
08-28-2008, 12:34 PM
^ :werd:

badatusrnames
08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
VTEC is all you really need;)

Originally posted by LUCKYSTRIKE

Get over it already...

Eleanor
08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
They still don't have a V8 while Hyundai already got one on the road.
The reason they don't have a V8 is because Mr. Honda didn't want to make a V8.

dino_martini
08-28-2008, 01:07 PM
They still don't have a V8 while Hyundai already got one on the road.

They have a V10 NSX on the way. ;)

Mr_ET
08-28-2008, 01:23 PM

Honda is never the trend setter and always late to the party.

They don't have a good mini-van til 1999. They are still on 5 speed auto while even GM products are getting 6. Late to SUV and Truck market. They are out of fashion by the time they hit. They still don't have a V8 while Hyundai already got one on the road.

I think what makes honda good at what they do is instead of being like everyone else and just following the trend or making sure they are offering a product in each "classification" they reinvent the classification.

Look at the Ridgeline when it came out, bigger than a Ranger, smaller than an f150. Tons of new features that weren't offered by any trucks and again great success with it when it launched.

Their Odyssey is also a minivan that went from being at the back of the pack to on par to better than anything else offered because of innovation.

I also think they offer the right blend of civility and sportiness and are always very mainstream when they come out so they target huge ranges of buyers unlike a company like Subaru.

What they have been better than almost everyone at is offering good quality products with outstanding reliability, good performance and great fuel economy.

The americans usually offer either performance or economy, they can not juggle both at the same time it seems.

Darkane
08-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Honda has a mighty V8, it's just built for racing.

95EagleAWD
08-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Late to SUV and Truck market. They are out of fashion by the time they hit.

I dunno if you watch the news or anything, but there isn't much of a truck market anymore.

buh_buh
08-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Honda has a mighty V8, it's just built for racing. this Honda v8 right here revs to 19k. Could probably rev a little higher if it weren't for regulations.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1087/1402093819_d29020556e.jpg

Ferio_vti
08-28-2008, 03:32 PM

I also think they offer the right blend of civility and sportiness and are always very mainstream when they come out so they target huge ranges of buyers unlike a company like Subaru.

You forgot to mention how Honda's aren't bland like Toyotas.

Mr_ET
08-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

You forgot to mention how Honda's aren't bland like Toyotas.

I actually find that Hondas in general are less bland then Toyotas but a bit more bland then others. It is probably why the car appeals to so many people and when they come out with a new gen it isn't that far from the previous one.

Xtrema
08-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

I dunno if you watch the news or anything, but there isn't much of a truck market anymore.

That's what I meant. Too late. At least Toyota and Nissan make quite a few years of money with them.

heavyD
08-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

You forgot to mention how Honda's are less bland than Toyotas.

I corrected your statement for accuracy. There isn't a Honda right now that isn't bland it's just Toyota's offerings are even more bland. In their defense though consumers seem to be choosing bland cars at the moment. The CRV looks absolutely terrible yet it's the best selling SUV.:dunno:

ZorroAMG
08-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Welcome to behonda.ca

badatusrnames
08-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Welcome to behonda.ca

LOL :werd:

full house
08-31-2008, 09:37 PM
I agree! Toyota is really doing a great job . . .they are keep on improving their wheels as time passes bye . . .

Deetz
08-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

The CRV looks absolutely terrible yet it's the best selling SUV.:dunno:

If you look at automotive history, its not just looks that make a car a best seller

look at the VW beetle, Dodge K car or minivan, ford taurus ect

Its comes to demand, value, reputation, resale....

89s1
09-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Get over it already...

u jest jelus u kant haz mai VTECz

Aleks
09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
7% down in august.

http://hondanews.com/media_storage/GIF/Aug08sales.gif

Sorath
09-03-2008, 03:02 PM
for some reason, august was a really slow month, last year august was really busy. :dunno:

Mr_ET
09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by full house
I agree! Toyota is really doing a great job . . .they are keep on improving their wheels as time passes bye . . .

WAT

Anomaly
09-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

YTD:

Ford F-Series: 359,971
Chevy Silverado: 320,074
Dodge Ram: 175,246
GMC Sierra: 115,067
Toyota Tundra: 107,330
Nissan Titan: 27,028

Sales are down for trucks obviously, however:
Considering The top 2 trucks listed outsell any car, including the Camry OR Accord and are far more profitable... trucks are huge money makers...

Anomaly
09-03-2008, 03:45 PM

Look at the Ridgeline when it came out, bigger than a Ranger, smaller than an f150. Tons of new features that weren't offered by any trucks and again great success with it when it launched.

Also FWIW
I find it funny that the Ridgeline gets OUTSOLD by the 20 year old design of the ford ranger...
Top ten truck sales (http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/otf0999.html)

The Ridgeline is simply to expensive for you what you get; And it's so Innovative, you can't even change a spare tire if you have something in the box...:dunno:

Mr_ET
09-03-2008, 04:22 PM
So I'm talking about the Ridgeline when it launched compared to you talking about it right now...

It was truck of the year when it was launched, there must have been a reason...

USED1
09-03-2008, 04:27 PM

Ever heard of the Avalanche?

Anomaly
09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Yes, and if you look at Motor Trend's Truck of the year:

2008 Toyota Tundra - Redesign
2007 Chevrolet Silverado - Redesign
2006 Honda Ridgeline - New
2005 Toyota Tacoma - Redesign (second gen)
2004 Ford F-150 - Redesign

Are we noticing a trend here?

treg50
09-04-2008, 12:39 PM
^ North American, Toyota, Honda... North American, Toyota... 2009 Honda?

Let's see if Motor Trend's 2009 Truck of the Year is the Ridgeline.

Mr_ET
09-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by USED1

Ever heard of the Avalanche?

Yes and it's quite a bit larger and did not offer most of the innovations that the Ridgeline did.

I get it though some people here are pro honda some are pro americans so no battles will be won here today.

rc2002
09-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Ridgeline is not a true truck. If you look at it's load capacity, it's pretty pathetic. Trucks are supposed to have torque and power

Mr_ET
09-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Ridgeline is not a true truck. If you look at it's load capacity, it's pretty pathetic. Trucks are supposed to have torque and power

Completely agree and I think that's why id did well cause it felt more like a car then a truck. I would not want to tow anything substantial with it and just to be clear I don't actually like it.

I was just talking about honda in general and how they position their products.

Inzane
09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
There isn't a Honda right now that isn't bland it's just Toyota's offerings are even more bland. In their defense though consumers seem to be choosing bland cars at the moment.

Agreed. :thumbsup: