PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Lube...rip off?

Kennyredline
08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
I bought a warranty with my car, and I have to take it somewhere to get my oil changed, I'm not allowed, by the terms of the warranty, to do it myself. So I take it to people, I am assuming know what they are doing.
So I have gone to Mr. Lube twice, and both times, they have told me the following;
1) My car NEEDS 5-40 Motul full synthetic, it is pretty much the only oil I should put in it.
2) Because I have a turbo, my engine runs hotter, and will burn through conventional oil very quickly, thus needing the Motul.
3) They recommend changing every 3 MONTHS or 5000km, whichever comes first. I waited 10 months at 4700km to change it. Because of the time over the 3 months, they recommended an engine flush, to get rid of the deposits left behind by the additives in the oil, which decays over time apparently. (Which I approved).

Is this stuff accurate, or a big load?

megavolt
08-28-2008, 12:13 PM
The synthetic part probably yes.

The 3month/5000km is bull for synthetic.

Your car's manual should state the type of oil it needs and the change interval.

dj_rice
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
If you bought a warranty, why not take it to the dealership you bought it from?I realize it might cost a little bit more but I'd rather let a dealership do it than a Lube shop hiring non-experienced people and yes changing oil is very easy but I've seen some workers at Lube shops fuck up ex, I think it was on Beyond, some guy got his oil changed, the tech didn't screw the oil plan plug on tightly or forgot to put back the washer/seal thing and the oil dripped slowly til there was hardly any left and fuxxored his engine...

Kennyredline
08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
If you bought a warranty, why not take it to the dealership you bought it from?I realize it might cost a little bit more but I'd rather let a dealership do it than a Lube shop hiring non-experienced people and yes changing oil is very easy but I've seen some workers at Lube shops fuck up ex, I think it was on Beyond, some guy got his oil changed, the tech didn't screw the oil plan plug on tightly or forgot to put back the washer/seal thing and the oil dripped slowly til there was hardly any left and fuxxored his engine...

Well, the place I bought it from is a long way from my place. The warranty states as long as I take the car to a "shop" and I can show a receipt for work done, then I'm ok. I like that I can get it done while I wait, and really, like you said, changing oil is easy, so mistakes can happen anywhere I take it. I just wanna know if that they're accurate in what they say, and that I need what they tell me.

Supa Dexta
08-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Your first rip off was buying a warranty, and it's been down hill since that.

BlkMaxima
08-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Your first rip off was buying a warranty, and it's been down hill since that. :werd: Especially if it is an aftermarket warranty.

S4maniac
08-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Yes, its a rip off.

My Audi S4 was twin turbo. Out of the factory it has conventional oil. The dealer service (which includes oil changes) uses conventional oil. The dealer service oil change (every 10,000kms!)is conventional oil with the filter being changed every OTHER change. The stealer does try to upsell to synthetic, but at an extra cost.

Your turbo engine doesn't run any hotter than any other engine. Your turbo run nice and hot but thats why they have their own intercooler.

Change your oil frequently (as perscribed) and there's your complimentry oil flush.

I wouldn't say Mr Lube is a complete rip off. The extras they sell are the rip off.

CTSV
08-28-2008, 12:40 PM
The oil flush is good... for the lube shop. Extra money. They try that on women ie my wife...ONCE. I was all over them. Plus they put 10/30 in when I actually gave her a note with 5/30 on it. I made them drain it and refill with 5/30 for no extra charge. I take my truck in winter and I watch what oil they use.
Oil flush would be okay if it hadn't been changed for 30,000 km or a couple of years and looked like sludge. I'll bet there are a number of cars like that driving around...or parked by the side of the road.

badatusrnames
08-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by S4maniac
Your turbo engine doesn't run any hotter than any other engine. Your turbo run nice and hot but thats why they have their own intercooler.

You clearly know nothing about what an intercooler does, it has absolutely nothing to do with cooling your turbos, they cool the air after it has been compressed by the turbocharger - a process which heats it. Cooling this air makes it denser at the intake manifold, allowing more combustion = more power.

An intercooler, or charge air cooler, is an air-to-air or air-to-liquid heat exchange device used on turbocharged and supercharged (forced induction) internal combustion engines to improve their volumetric efficiency by increasing intake air charge density through isochoric cooling. A decrease in air intake temperature provides a denser intake charge to the engine and allows more air and fuel to be combusted per engine cycle, increasing the output of the engine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercooler

The turbos themselves are cooled by oil and/or coolant.

AFAIK, turbo engines will still have higher cylinder temps as a result of the forced induction, that's why you need to run premium fuel to prevent detonation.

As far as synthetic vs. conventional oil... that's up for debate.

Eleanor
08-28-2008, 12:48 PM
A big load, next time get them to top up your headlight fluid as well :thumbsup:

S4maniac
08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

You clearly know nothing about what an intercooler does, it has absolutely nothing to do with cooling your turbos, they cool the air after it has been compressed by the turbocharger - a process which heats it. Cooling this air makes it denser at the intake manifold, allowing more combustion = more power.

The turbos themselves are cooled by oil and/or coolant.

AFAIK, turbo engines will still have higher cylinder temps as a result of the forced induction, that's why you need to run premium fuel to prevent detonation.

As far as synthetic vs. conventional oil... that's up for debate.

Duly noted ... which is why I'm not a mechanic.

Ferio_vti
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by S4maniac
. Your turbo run nice and hot but thats why they have their own intercooler.

You're thinking of a separate oil cooler, not the intercooler.

to the OP:
at least they didn't eff up your oil plug.

http://consumerist.com/5035986/malicious-oil-change-jiffy-lube-ruined-my-oil-plug-on-purpose

http://consumerist.com/assets/images/consumerist/2008/08/oilplug.jpg

08-28-2008, 01:26 PM
^
haha!

IMO in a daily driver, oil is oil, it just comes down to how much you want to pay.

Kennyredline
08-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
A big load, next time get them to top up your headlight fluid as well :thumbsup:

They must have been a little "off" on Wednesday, they didn't mention the headlight fluid!! BLAAAHAHA
They wanted me to buy a new filter for the interior air flow...the old one is really dirty, but this time of year, and AT NINETY DOLLARS I said uhhhh....NO!
Thanx to all for yer input:thumbsup:

Kennyredline
08-28-2008, 01:45 PM
....and I just phoned NAPA to find out how much the cabin air filter is...17 bucks!!!

max_boost
08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I go to Mr.Lube a lot. Just say no if you don't want certain things. It depends on which guy you get because some of them won't say anything about the extras and just give you a straight up oil change.

Mr. Lube is more expensive but FAST. Can get it done in 15 minutes usually with no lineup. Been going for the past 4 years and no issues yet haha

Grogador
08-28-2008, 01:53 PM
^ ok but in some cars it involves taking part of the dash apart :thumbsdow

Also, seriously, don't take anything you care about to a "lube shop", that's where the highschool dropouts and green ASTs go to play with the tools... my exgf was in AST... she got fired from a few "lube places" for screwing up wheel hubs/brake rotors, stripping various threads and not tightening drain plugs properly...

Ferio_vti
08-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
....and I just phoned NAPA to find out how much the cabin air filter is...17 bucks!!!

But they have to charge you $83 for labor. Not that it's hard, but you probably have to pull the glove box out. That said, doubtful Mr Lube monkey did that to check the filter. They're just used to asking cuz no one ever changes that filter regularly.

Good to know. I can't even get cabin filters for my Lancer at CT/Part Source/Autovalue. Dealer sells them for $80!! I got them online, which still cost $40 :(

sillysod
08-28-2008, 03:24 PM
!!!!!LOOK UP THE 1.8T "SLUDGE" PROBLEM!!!!!

YOU MUST run synthetic on the 1.8t's there is a huge problem with them eating turbos etc.

Audi and VW now use only Synthetic in the 1.8's and if you use conventional it will void your warranty.

No problem on the 2.7T that is the old school S4's or A6's, but the 1.8T needs synthetic and if it is in a vehicle with 4motion it needs the extra large oil filter (because the oil pan is smaller on the 4mo cars and the large oil filter makes up for the lost volume).

My 1.8t requires oil changes every 16,000kms as stated in the operating manual.

1. USE SYNTHETIC OIL (any kind)
2. USE A FACTORY FILTER SIZED CORRECTLY
3. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT FOR 10,000KMS

Mitsu3000gt
08-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I have never and will never take my car to a quick lube place...heard way too many horror stories, and they don't always carry the products you may need/want (i.e. Mobil 0W40 and OEM oil filters).

Find a different dealer or a private shop to do you oil changes if you can.

If you're driving a VW, just take it to George at Tune Dub for the oil changes - price is right and you know nothing will ever get screwed up. Thats where I go if I don't have the time to do it myself.

bigbadboss101
08-28-2008, 03:58 PM
I have taken a few cars to Mr. Lube, no complaints but it's not cheap. My roommate takes it to Midas or Walmart for a lot less $.

Or popular cars no problem taking my car to Mr. Lube. For the Audi I will take it to VW/Audi shops (George) since they know what's best for the car and have the items in stock.

Changing oil before 6000km is a waste really. And with synthetic you should be able to go longer although I change at that interval regardless of type of oil.

SOAB
08-28-2008, 04:10 PM
a cabin filter is about $21-$27 here depending on what car you have.

i would definitely recommend you using the 5w40 full synthetic for your 1.8T. also, i know that the owners manual says 16K kms between oil changes but i always advise my customers to do them every 8K.

as far as warranty goes, you are able to do the oil changes yourself but you have to keep receipts and document the date and mileage on that receipt.

the major services for your car is every 32K and 64K. that is when i would let someone else do the work and give it an inspection.

Kennyredline
08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

But they have to charge you $83 for labor. Not that it's hard, but you probably have to pull the glove box out. That said, doubtful Mr Lube monkey did that to check the filter. They're just used to asking cuz no one ever changes that filter regularly.

Good to know. I can't even get cabin filters for my Lancer at CT/Part Source/Autovalue. Dealer sells them for $80!! I got them online, which still cost $40 :(

Well when buddy pulled out the cabin filter, it came from a slot at the back of the engine bay, at the top of the firewall...I dunno how he got the cover off, but it can't be that hard...only took him a minute.

Kennyredline
08-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Went to NAPA. Got the good stuff. Paid $17. Put it in myself. Fuck you Mr. Lube!! Why don't you "Mr. Lube" up your ass so I can jam my dirty cabin air filter in there!!:poosie:

ZorroAMG
08-29-2008, 05:35 PM
I used to take Enzo to the Mr Lube on 32 just past barlow when I had the car in Calgary. They were awesome, always let me pull the car in from the exit side ( car is too low for the stupid rails ) and if they didnt have what I need, the manager, nice guy, used to run over to the other shop to get it (filter, oil w/e)

I DID, however, only let certain guys work on it and I was there making SURE they actually replaced the filter (some douches pretend to and charge for it...)

They are all good in my books...I never get harassed for extras there...EVER.

marko polo
08-29-2008, 07:14 PM
the ideal oil to use is castrol syntec synthetic 5w-30. And i would recommend buying oem oil filters instead of frams.

And as others said, tunedub is prolly the only place in town you should take a vw to. the guy knows what he's talking about and charges a very reasonable rate.

Ashers
08-29-2008, 10:47 PM
My TDI requires VW 506.01 Spec Synthetic oil... which can ONLY be purchased at, you guessed it... VW for about 14 bucks a liter. Anything else in the Pumpe Duese TDI will destroy the engine. At least it goes 16,000 km before changing. VW have a very strict policy on the oil for those PD TDI engines. I heard though that the 1.8T do like synthetic though.

SOAB
08-30-2008, 09:30 AM
$14 A LITRE??? what crack are you smoking? i sell that here at SCFC for $7.80/litre + tax...

HiSpec
08-30-2008, 10:40 AM
I've never been to any quick fluid change shop, but can you bring your own oil and filter to mr.lube??
And you do actually sit in the car and wait for them?

max_boost
08-30-2008, 10:47 AM
^^

Never brought my own oil/filter but yes you sit in the car while they work on it. It's a drive thru oil change!

ACURA44
08-30-2008, 12:37 PM
i have seen a lot of people that have gone to the "quick" places and i think that they are full of unexperianced kids that dont know what they are doing. and the paint they use is so ugly, they get it over everything, if they had good people working there they might not need to paint the shit out of everything. i have also seen many striped, over/under tightened drain plugs i just dont trust a thing they do. they also push "services" that dont need to be done like any honda/acura never needs a power steering flush honda does not ever ask for that to be done but if you ask a "lube expert" you NEED it :bullshit: just take it to a trusted shop and im sure you will get what you need