PDA

View Full Version : How did you choose your car?

max_boost
05-28-2002, 01:24 AM
Just like the subject, how did you guys choose your car? Did you experience love at first sight? Or did it take a couple test drives? Did you compare cars? Price a huge factor? Did you ever think, is it a need or a want? hehe Did you ever buy something and regret doing so? Will you waste all your money on mods? (Something I am VERY worried about)

Reason is, I am having some madd trouble with choosing my next car. Been so long and I am still lost :dunno: At the rate I am going, I'm going to be driving my dad's minivan for a long ass time!

Maybe some advice from you guys would help me out a bit hehe

shadowz
05-28-2002, 02:18 AM
Saw it in grade 6 and loved it ever since, the interior was great the exterior even better, and didnt even planning on doing anything to it, and seeing ludes modifyed made it even better

James
05-28-2002, 02:33 AM
I'm having the same problem you are right now Max, I really have no clue what I really want/need to buy. I change my mind every week, I just cant make up my mind!:confused: With my last car, it was kinda a spur of the moment type thing, I needed a car, and I had no clue what i was going to buy. I seen a Passat, and liked the styling of the car, so I bought one. (really wish i didnt now though:( )
I know you have probably done a huge amount of research on what kind of car you should buy(and most likely have somewhat of a list??right.). So if money is a factor, then your choices should be cut down alot there. I think the WRX would fall in to that catagory.(somewhat cheaper) If not, then what do u really need? A sportscar (slk32 AMG), luxury/touring car (BMW 3 series), the list could go on. If money isnt a factor, just buy what you REALLY want. Just my $0.02.:thumbsup:

max_boost
05-28-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
Saw it in grade 6 and loved it ever since, the interior was great the exterior even better, and didnt even planning on doing anything to it, and seeing ludes modifyed made it even better

I saw you and your buddies down on 17th today eating Ice cream, very tight rides! I was with my gf getting ice cream from baskin&robbins

Seeing all those imports made me wish I still had my SC Lude hehe

max_boost
05-28-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by James
I'm having the same problem you are right now Max, I really have no clue what I really want/need to buy. I change my mind every week, I just cant make up my mind!:confused: With my last car, it was kinda a spur of the moment type thing, I needed a car, and I had no clue what i was going to buy. I seen a Passat, and liked the styling of the car, so I bought one. (really wish i didnt now though:( )
I know you have probably done a huge amount of research on what kind of car you should buy(and most likely have somewhat of a list??right.). So if money is a factor, then your choices should be cut down alot there. I think the WRX would fall in to that catagory.(somewhat cheaper) If not, then what do u really need? A sportscar (slk32 AMG), luxury/touring car (BMW 3 series), the list could go on. If money isnt a factor, just buy what you REALLY want. Just my $0.02.:thumbsup:

Dude, you really spoke my mind! I have been pondering all of the above for awhile now!

I have a list of cars, I have done all possible research, I've even test drove most of them and still no clue. Go figure:dunno:

James
05-28-2002, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Dude, you really spoke my mind! I have been pondering all of the above for awhile now!

I have a list of cars, I have done all possible research, I've even test drove most of them and still no clue. Go figure:dunno:

What can i say:bigpimp: , shit, you have test drove all the cars, and you still have no clue? I dont know what to say man.:duh:

The reason I listed those cars, is because I have heard you mention you were interested in all of them before, on that other cars site:rolleyes: , I would get another BMW if I were you, didn't you say how you loved your old car so much?? just get its younger brother, an E46 M3!:thumbsup:

shadowz
05-28-2002, 03:39 AM
Thanks Max_boost you shoulda come to phils icecream way better imo, but as for your car troubles, yes why dont you get a more affordable sports car like a WRX(very quick stock) or acura CL sporty, fast and luxurious, also theres the good ol supra which are fast and are still more afforable than a mercedes, not by much but still, unless you are set on buying a new car?

James
05-28-2002, 03:46 AM

Hey, Shadowz, did u get your car when you were in grade 6?:duh: or is that just when they came out, and you first saw them?:confused: When did you paint it Orange/gold??:thumbsup:

shadowz
05-28-2002, 04:20 AM
No I saw it in grade 6 that was in 93 I think? Thats when I saw it and loved it. But no I got my car when I turned 16 that was 2 and a half years ago, and I repainted m car last June , and its orange not gold:D

James
05-28-2002, 04:36 AM
No I saw it in grade 6 that was in 93 I think? Thats when I saw it and loved it. But no I got my car when I turned 16 that was 2 and a half years ago, and I repainted m car last June , and its orange not gold:D

Ahh, ok thats makes more sense, :thumbsup: , yeah I knew it was Orange, just a very shinny Orange!:p

4wheeldrift
05-28-2002, 06:51 AM
I totally fell in love with the 2.5RS at the '99 auto show. When I started looking for a new car later that year, I test drove a whole bunch of stuff but still liked the RS the best. For me, the car was a perfect fit. Reliable, good on gas, good for winter and a blast to drive. There are now a lot more cars that I would have test drove, but I doubt that my decision would be different (excepting that I would probably get a WRX instead).

Superesc
05-28-2002, 08:07 AM
the finance rate is what made me choose it hehehe, but yea, back when I was in Highschool I already love the Gen 2 teg, so in some sense I got my dream car.

2000impreza
05-28-2002, 08:12 AM
when you see the car you want you'll know it :bigpimp: if your not so sure than its probably not it for you.

Ben
05-28-2002, 08:14 AM
Well, I'm not rich like all you other guys, I just bought whatever I had money for. $1500 doesn't go very far these days. I had a nice truck, which I also bought only cause I liked the looks, originally I wanted a Car...

kenny
05-28-2002, 08:18 AM
I wanted a convertible really bad after driving rage2's SLK. Prior to this, I was set on buying an E46 of some sort. After hearing about the AMG version of the SLK, I was sold and put my deposit down and waited for the car to arrive. I had 4 months to decide on what color, and options I wanted. I have absolutely no regrets on choosing the car that I now own. I believe in enjoying life a day at a time, and would never consider "waiting till I'm older" to get this car because you just never know what will happen in the future. Carpe Diem! :thumbsup:

redline
05-28-2002, 08:48 AM
Well why dont you start with some basics

Budget for purchase
Budget for insurance
Budget for maintenance
Stock HP/torque wanted
Do you want to mod the car
How do the dealers take mods on the cars?

etc...

B18C
05-28-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by redline
Well why dont you start with some basics

How do the dealers take mods on the cars?

etc...

I think that this is a biggy when you are buying a new car and plan on modifying it. Don't be like me and buy the extended warranty when you plan on big mods :banghead:

Why don't you list the qualities you want in a car and open it up for debate here/

rage2
05-28-2002, 10:02 AM
I choose the SLK because we already had one in the family, and everyone fought for the car. We needed another one to bring the family together =).

The Porsche, my dad initially bought it. After I started driving it, I sunk my entire student loan on the car. Since then, it's a big loss if I tried to sell it, so it's gonna stay with me forever.

Other cars I've owned over the years :

Austin Mini - My dad's car, 4 speed manual, top speed of 120km/h. I learned to drive stick in this beast when I was 12 (hehe).

Acura Integra LS - My first real car, too bad it was a written off car and I wrote it off again (if that's even possible)... I used to be your typical Asian driver. 2 accidents a year? =)

Mazda 323 hatchback - The bubble hatch, I loved this car, many many stories, company delivery car. A few accidents in this car, both were not my fault (drunk ran red light, UPS delivery guy changed lanes into my rear fender, some trucker rear ended me). Retired when I broke the tranny, lost 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd gear starts are tough...

Merkur XR4Ti - 2.3L turbo, lots of mods available, but couldn't afford to do it. MrX owns this beast now.

CRXguy
05-28-2002, 10:18 AM
CRX - Drove a friends 89 CRX one night, and knew I had to have one. Kept searching for over a year, then finally found one for a good price. It's somewhat quick and handles well for a stock car, and there's so much you could do to it.

Protege5 - Me and my GF needed a second car, so we thought we might as well find a new car and keep it for a while. It's an awesome family car/wagon. Nice, aggressive styling....roomy interior, handles awesome, and comes pretty much loaded with options. But it was the price and finance rate that pretty much sealed the deal.

MazdaSpeed MP3 - Wait and see.:D :thumbsup:

bol
05-28-2002, 10:29 AM
When I bought a car last year it was out of pure desire. I loved the look of the E46 3-series and went from a 320i eventually to specing the 330Ci that I finally bought. It was a very natual decision and was pretty easy in reality.

Every car I've seen which made me say 'I want that' has always been based on the first impression: looks. If you can't stand the way it looks, it's just going to wear on you in time. Performance and comfort always came afterwards.

There's 'cheaper' cars I like and there are cars that only the select few can afford that I like - and dislike as well.

I think the biggest problem you're having max is the fact that you've test driven so many cars. Cars that compare equally to each other in terms of performance and comfort. You just haven't seen that one car that screams your name (might be a color combo as well)

*Shrug* I guess it's just easy for me to find things I like. Always have been able to find something in a niche market I know nothing about that I must have.

rage2
05-28-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by bol
You just haven't seen that one car that screams your name (might be a color combo as well)

Kenny's SLK 32 AMG was screamin' his name pretty damn loud when he drove it (hint hint) hehe.

CRXguy
05-28-2002, 11:03 AM
:rofl:

Superesc
05-28-2002, 11:06 AM
hmmmm Macdonald is screaming my name for lunch... :D

bol
05-28-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Superesc
hmmmm Macdonald is screaming my name for lunch... :D

http://www.colute.net/cwm/cwm/cwm/puke.gif

HRD2PLZ
05-28-2002, 11:23 AM
I bought my most recent car so I wouldn't have any car payments during school. I'm on my 4th car is 3 years, and I still haven't found the right one. I've ha the 4-door, the SUV, the sporty 4-door and the sports car. I want to go back to either the sportier 4-door or the SUV. I'm looking at the Accords, Maxima's, Jetta's. Something with a 5 or 6 speed, leather and a sunroof.

Good Luck Max_Boost :thumbsup:

redline
05-28-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by bol

http://www.colute.net/cwm/cwm/cwm/puke.gif

werd on mcdicks

Superesc
05-28-2002, 11:37 AM
hahahah They don't call me the Grease King for nuthin!

max_boost
05-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Thanks Max_boost you shoulda come to phils icecream way better imo, but as for your car troubles, yes why dont you get a more affordable sports car like a WRX(very quick stock) or acura CL sporty, fast and luxurious, also theres the good ol supra which are fast and are still more afforable than a mercedes, not by much but still, unless you are set on buying a new car?

I didn't even notice Philips Icecream was across the street until I got out of baskin&robbins lol

Talk about competition! hehe

Anyway, not really set on buying a new car, we all know about depreciation etc. It'll probably be 1-2 years old with under 40000kms hehe

MiNG
05-28-2002, 03:49 PM
i'm a small guy so i figured i needed a small car.
at the time i only had $4000 to spend on a car and a CRX was in my budget.
i now feel like buying a street bike...max_boost get a street bike.

speedracer
05-28-2002, 03:58 PM

I didn't even notice Philips Icecream was across the street until I got out of baskin&robbins lol

Talk about competition! hehe
Yeah, you could've had real ice cream :clap:

I just started a "real" job and I didn't want to be like everyone and get a civic or a teg...
Power + Handling :thumbsup:
(ITR would have been nice but then INS would have killed me)

Not really a car that contains "wow" for others .. ok the term is respect.. but whatever.

max_boost
05-28-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by MiNG
i now feel like buying a street bike...max_boost get a street bike.

Yes I feel like a bike too but I'm going to kill myself, I know it!

Superesc
05-28-2002, 06:05 PM
"died a happy man"

mwmhong
05-28-2002, 06:20 PM
Chose the neon because it's cheap, handles well and looks good. Way back in the day these cars were the hype (something new and different). I chose Brilliant Blue because blue is the best color a car can have. :clap:

7 years have gone by and I have no regrets, she still runs good and looks great!:thumbsup:
But rides like crap, accelerates like a slug, frameless windows are wind-noisy and is valued at $5,000:thumbsdow

If I HAD to get another car, it would be a WRX in the same color, or maybe a Neon SRT.

HRD2PLZ
05-28-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong

frameless windows are wind-noisy

Word. I hate mine too. I know 4 people with Neons, and all of them have had major problems with them. But then again, its all in the maintenance.

2000impreza
05-28-2002, 06:46 PM
the neon looks ok but doesn't do it for me. subaru's are ok too but nothing too special. if i had the money i would get a BMW 3 series or benz slk. if you have the money for the car, insurance,... etc why not go for a higher end car instead of buying a lower end ecno box and mod it to go faster. lower end cars will never compare to the quality and refinement of say BMW or Benz.

Roland, drives a subaru ecno box :clap:

girlRACER
05-28-2002, 08:11 PM
One day my mom came home with a '99 Tercel. I didn't like it but I had to drive it for a year. However, choosing my next car was the biggest headache!!! I wanted a car with an interior and exterior look that I liked. That was hard.

After doing tons of research I decided I wanted a Jetta but the snobby salesguy turned me off from buying one. I also liked the Prelude. I probably would have got one if not for my nosy friend who told me not to buy it because it was too cramped for him!! Then I looked at an Acura EL which I originally did not like. My friend loved it and convinced me to buy it. So it was set that I would buy an EL. A week b4 I was going to drop off the down payment I was looking at Infiniti's. I didn't like any of it but I let my stupid friend convince me to buy a G20. Now that I have it still, I TOTALLY regret being pushed around by that "friend". He's so damn selfish. I should have just bought what I like. My advice is don't let people tell you what to like but choose something you like!! Don't let anyone including salespeople push you around.

Then my next car, I had unlimited range. The SLK has been my dream car from the start. From the time when I first saw it and daydreamed about it before I had my license to the awful pre-order wait and the sleepless nights a week before I picked up the car. The wait was ALL WORTH IT!!!! As long as you're happy :)

buh_buh
05-28-2002, 08:54 PM
girlRACER, you should not let that friend boss you around anymore :)

My first car was a 4th gen lude, I also fell in love with it when I was in grade 6, and I wanted one ever since, and it just had to be my first car.

My second car the choice was much harder. I didn't want another Prelude, and looked around a lot. I considered the WRX, 300ZX, and RSX-S. But went with the lude because WRX had too many people on the waiting list, I could only afford an older 300ZX (early 90's) and didn't want to spend that much money on such an old car, and went with the Lude over the RSX because I didn't really like the exterior stylings of the RSX (but its grown on me a lot since I've started seeing it more). So this I chose because there were no other cars I wanted, and no other cars I could really get. But now I'm very glad I went with another Prelude, and I just wish there was another generation Prelude that I could go with for my next car! ;)

kenny
05-28-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
I also liked the Prelude. I probably would have got one if not for my nosy friend who told me not to buy it because it was too cramped for him!! I didn't like any of it but I let my stupid friend convince me to buy a G20. Now that I have it still, I TOTALLY regret being pushed around by that "friend". He's so damn selfish. I should have just bought what I like.

OMG I cannot believe whoever this supposed "friend" would have the nerve to convince you to not buy a car you like because it is too cramped for him! Does this friend at least pay you gas money for when you drive him around? :rolleyes:

The wait was ALL WORTH IT!!!! As long as you're happy :)

As they say on the other forums... WTTC! :clap:

5.9 R/T
05-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Fastest dakota model made, simple as that!

redline
05-28-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Fastest dakota model made, simple as that!

tell the truth you bought cuz you thought your mullet would look bitchin in it! :D j/k

5.9 R/T
05-28-2002, 11:06 PM
No man! It's cause a civic doesn't have enough head room for my crazy mullet yo!

max_boost
05-28-2002, 11:09 PM
My first car E36 325I was handed to me so no complaints there. Next car was a Prelude SH, I think it was the girlfriend who got me to buy the Prelude. I had asked her if she liked the V6 Accord more or the Lude and she chose the Lude.

This next car is completely up to me! hehe

speedracer
05-28-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong
I chose Brilliant Blue because blue is the best color a car can have. :clap:

B. Blue is the same paint code for the Viper :D

The SRT won't be in Canada. The turbo setup looks to be a very good design.. almost EVO like...

The Frameless windows all need to be adjusted as people tend to use the window to close the door. It's pretty easy to adjust from what I remember. Give me a shout if you need help.

buh_buh
05-29-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
No man! It's cause a civic doesn't have enough head room for my crazy mullet yo!
No, that's actually MY reason why I didn't get a Civic.

Yellow_Fly_Red
05-29-2002, 12:45 AM
I had lots of problems deciding on a car too. First, I decided on my budget and then decided on which car to get. Since I've never ever bought a BRAND new car before, I decided that I will finall get one that's brand new.
Criteria:
Car must seat 4 people and less than $50,000.
NO 3 Series BMW since my Brother has one.

Cars that I considered were:
RSX-S
WRX
IS 300
Audi TT
C230 Sports Coupe

RSX-S and WRX are out because there will be too many in the street. I want a car that's a little more unique and that not everyone has. I already see so many RSX and WRX everywhere.

Audi TT - absolutely NO room in the back.

came down to the IS300 and C230 Sports Coupe

They both drive similar, but the C230K has that cool panoramic roof and a 6-spd transmission. I also likes the looks of the C230K more than the IS300. So that's why I chosed this car.

If I were to buy a car right now, I would seriously consider the Infiniti G35 Coupe with the 6-spd.

BUT I've already decide to WAIT for the new BMW Z5 to come out and I will probably just get a Honda Civic for winter or for going to work etc.

I am very happy with the C230 Sports Coupe, but I want a serious performance car... and the new Z5 promises to deliver performance that rivals the current M3 at a lower cost.

Davan
05-29-2002, 01:20 PM
When I got my car, I didn't know anything about them. I needed something right away, because I had to sell my last car (couldn't afford it anymore).

My only requirements where black, manual transmission, and sunroof.

I did a little looking around, and saw 150Hp and 155 ft-lb for 22 grand for the Z24 was the best deal. At the time, I didn't know there was such a difference between the Chev and, say, Honda or Toyota, in terms of fit and finish and material quality.

If I had known then, what I known now, I would be in an import... :banghead:

G
05-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Yellow_Fly_Red: are you Henry?

HRD2PLZ
05-29-2002, 03:51 PM
I'm seriously considering either the Maxima SE or the G35, both with the 6 speed :thumbsup: :love: My only requirements are leather, sunroof, manual tranny, somewhat unique.

Then again, I'm 19, so I guess I don't need such a fancy car yet :rolleyes:

gpomp
05-29-2002, 04:51 PM
Last time I checked, G35's were auto...

HRD2PLZ
05-29-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Last time I checked, G35's were auto...
I read somewhere a 6speed was optional. Maybe not? :dunno:

G
05-29-2002, 04:58 PM
They are...6spd coming out next model year. Damn fast auto though it is suppose to do 0-60 in 6.2 and 1/4 in 14.8. There is a 2 month waiting list to get the G35...mine comes in 2 weeks.

infamous
05-29-2002, 06:02 PM
damn i wish i was rich enough to have a new car :( if anyone wants to donate a car, they can

[GaGe]
05-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I choose the SLK because we already had one in the family, and everyone fought for the car. We needed another one to bring the family together =).

The Porsche, my dad initially bought it. After I started driving it, I sunk my entire student loan on the car. Since then, it's a big loss if I tried to sell it, so it's gonna stay with me forever.

Other cars I've owned over the years :

Austin Mini - My dad's car, 4 speed manual, top speed of 120km/h. I learned to drive stick in this beast when I was 12 (hehe).

Acura Integra LS - My first real car, too bad it was a written off car and I wrote it off again (if that's even possible)... I used to be your typical Asian driver. 2 accidents a year? =)

Mazda 323 hatchback - The bubble hatch, I loved this car, many many stories, company delivery car. A few accidents in this car, both were not my fault (drunk ran red light, UPS delivery guy changed lanes into my rear fender, some trucker rear ended me). Retired when I broke the tranny, lost 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd gear starts are tough...

Merkur XR4Ti - 2.3L turbo, lots of mods available, but couldn't afford to do it. MrX owns this beast now.

Few things to make clear...

1. Merkur = mine now.. MrX isn't taking it to chicago, and if he sells it, i'm taking his shift knob, steering wheel, muffler etc. before he does :devil:

2. we've had the 560 SEL for a while, and we've had the "BEEMER OF LOVE" That kenny owns now :thumbsup:

3. After the final accident with the integra, it came back with 3 wheels :rofl:

Yellow_Fly_Red
05-29-2002, 07:31 PM
GSpot..!

How did you know I'm Henry..??
Hey... who are u..?
Let me check out your G35 when you get it... :thumbsup:

Those cars look sooooooo NICE...!!!
:love:

But I would prefer the G35 Coupe with the 6 spd and 275 HP..!!!!
15 hp more than the G35 Sedan... :)

The new 350Z with the TRACK PACK is pretty AWESOME..!!
:hitit:

G
05-30-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Yellow_Fly_Red
GSpot..!

How did you know I'm Henry..??
Hey... who are u..?
Let me check out your G35 when you get it... :thumbsup:

Those cars look sooooooo NICE...!!!
:love:

But I would prefer the G35 Coupe with the 6 spd and 275 HP..!!!!
15 hp more than the G35 Sedan... :)

The new 350Z with the TRACK PACK is pretty AWESOME..!!
:hitit:

Wong Fei Hung: Man every asian person knows you I think....:rofl:

I met you a few times in clubs before. I saw pictures of your MB in some of Jen's pictures....I'm Hai's friend (the girl from edmonton).

Sure thing we should get together and have a 2 man car meet...hahahaha

girlRACER
05-30-2002, 11:18 AM
I had lots of problems deciding on a car too. First, I decided on my budget and then decided on which car to get. Since I've never ever bought a BRAND new car before, I decided that I will finall get one that's brand new.
Criteria:
Car must seat 4 people and less than $50,000.
NO 3 Series BMW since my Brother has one.

Cars that I considered were:
RSX-S
WRX
IS 300
Audi TT
C230 Sports Coupe

RSX-S and WRX are out because there will be too many in the street. I want a car that's a little more unique and that not everyone has. I already see so many RSX and WRX everywhere.

Audi TT - absolutely NO room in the back.

came down to the IS300 and C230 Sports Coupe

They both drive similar, but the C230K has that cool panoramic roof and a 6-spd transmission. I also likes the looks of the C230K more than the IS300. So that's why I chosed this car.

If I were to buy a car right now, I would seriously consider the Infiniti G35 Coupe with the 6-spd.

BUT I've already decide to WAIT for the new BMW Z5 to come out and I will probably just get a Honda Civic for winter or for going to work etc.

I am very happy with the C230 Sports Coupe, but I want a serious performance car... and the new Z5 promises to deliver performance that rivals the current M3 at a lower cost.

Good Choice Yellow_Fly_Red! I would have chose the C_Coupe too! It's beautiful and not that many people have it yet. As well, it's a Mercedes. You can never go wrong with a Mercedes. Although Infiniti is nice and it is a good deal because it comes with all the options, I would not recommend buying one because they lose their value. I lost $10,000 on my G20 in 2 years?! I had to learn the hard way.

girlRACER
05-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Yellow_Fly_Red,
You're Henry! The one with the Viper? Hello!! Remember me?

HRD2PLZ
05-30-2002, 11:22 AM
I lost $6000 in my Acura in 10months

ScCab
05-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Yellow_Fly_Red,
You're Henry! The one with the Viper? Hello!! Remember me?

Henry has the c coupe....
the viper belongs to harry:)

harry it to old to be on this board

G
05-30-2002, 11:32 AM

Good Choice Yellow_Fly_Red! I would have chose the C_Coupe too! It's beautiful and not that many people have it yet. As well, it's a Mercedes. You can never go wrong with a Mercedes. Although Infiniti is nice and it is a good deal because it comes with all the options, I would not recommend buying one because they lose their value. I lost $10,000 on my G20 in 2 years?! I had to learn the hard way.

The G20 was obsolete before they even hit the showroom floor. It was a bad marketing mistake on Nissan's part.

girlRACER
05-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Not only the G20 loses its value though. All of the Infiniti's do. Not that I am bashing your car, cause I love the G35! It's beautiful! But My Bro's QX4 is their best selling model and it is hardly worth anything now.

G
05-30-2002, 11:41 AM
I guess you maybe right but are there any cars out there that maintain it's full value? There are always suckers out there to buy any car. I sold a 1988 CRX SI in 1999 for 11K. It had nothing done to it and it was fairly rusted :thumbsup:

ScCab
05-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by GSpot
I guess you maybe right but are there any cars out there that maintain it's full value? There are always suckers out there to buy any car. I sold a 1988 CRX SI in 1999 for 11K. It had nothing done to it and it was fairly rusted :thumbsup:

man your ripped him off:rofl:

what a sucker

G
05-30-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ScCab

man your ripped him off:rofl:

what a sucker

It was fair...they guy should have done his homework. Also sold a 1988 325E for 11K. I am just plain lucky when it comes to selling cars.

speedracer
05-30-2002, 11:44 AM
IMO, the decision to purchase a car should not fall upon it's resaleability<sp>. Unless you do not want to keep the car in say 3 years.

The moment you start to do mods on the car you can throw away any respectable resale value out the window.

redline
05-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Like mike selling the green teg for $28G :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

G
05-30-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by speedracer
IMO, the decision to purchase a car should not fall upon it's resaleability<sp>. Unless you do not want to keep the car in say 3 years.

The moment you start to do mods on the car you can throw away any respectable resale value out the window.

I beg to differ...some guys actually look for cars that are modded because they either don't know how or don't want to deal with the hassle of doing it themselves. Modding your car will only limit the market for your car...usually young guys.

CRXguy
05-30-2002, 11:49 AM
I sold a 1988 CRX SI in 1999 for 11K. It had nothing done to it and it was fairly rusted :thumbsup:

What a dumbass. Maybe I should get you to try and sell my CRX.:D

girlRACER
05-30-2002, 11:58 AM

It was fair...they guy should have done his homework. Also sold a 1988 325E for 11K. I am just plain lucky when it comes to selling cars.

Hey man, sell my car :D !!

speedracer
05-30-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by redline
Like mike selling the green teg for $28G :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, he got damn lucky! THat was like having a car on loan and never having to pay for it :D And then pay you back for driving it :clap:

There are people looking for modded cars case in point ^^
but the thing is few are willing to pay for what the car is really worth or what you think is worth.

Ofcourse you could always pray on the ill informed :nut: :rofl:
Just not sure how many have deep pockets...

max_boost
05-30-2002, 12:34 PM
I lost $10,000 on my G20 in 2 years?! I had to learn the hard way.

I lost like $10K on my Prelude in 2 years too!!
It sucks and your right, only learn the hard way!

B18C
05-30-2002, 12:34 PM

I beg to differ...some guys actually look for cars that are modded because they either don't know how or don't want to deal with the hassle of doing it themselves. Modding your car will only limit the market for your car...usually young guys.

Yes, but when you start doing any major mods you will most likely not get your money back when you sell it.

max_boost
05-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by speedracer

Yeah, he got damn lucky! THat was like having a car on loan and never having to pay for it :D And then pay you back for driving it :clap:

That is toooooooooo funny!! LOL:rofl:

I think he was VERY lucky hehe

max_boost
05-30-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by B18C

Yes, but when you start doing any major mods you will most likely not get your money back when you sell it.

Unless if you strip and sell like me! hehe I think that came out wrong lol

2000impreza
05-30-2002, 12:39 PM

i wouldn't complain. i lost around $7k on my car in one year. thats why i decided not to trade it in. i'm guessing my car lost another easy $4k this year. i know a few subaru guys that took a big hit when they traded their 2.5RS for the wrx.

oh well, i plan to keep my car for a long time so i guess it doesn't really matter :clap:

max_boost
05-30-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza

i wouldn't complain. i lost around $7k on my car in one year. thats why i decided not to trade it in. i'm guessing my car lost another easy $4k this year. i know a few subaru guys that took a big hit when they traded their 2.5RS for the wrx.

I think that's with all cars when you purchase them new! The more expensive the car, the bigger the hit!

Sometimes it is better to buy a used car IMO

CRXguy
05-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Sometimes it is better to buy a used car IMO

I think that's what I'll do next time.:D

bol
05-30-2002, 12:47 PM

The more expensive the car, the bigger the hit!

Not always... on more expensive luxury cars they hold their value the first year pretty well... asuming you don't drive it over a set of curbs! :rofl:

HRD2PLZ
05-30-2002, 12:48 PM
After a few years cars level out more. Domestics generally have lower resales. Especially the really popular ones like the neons, Cavs, Sunfires, Grand Am's etc. Its not only the car that determines resale too though- its the demand for it and the condition of the vehicle.

rage2
05-30-2002, 12:49 PM
It's always best to buy a 1 year old car. The initial depreciation hit is the worse.

HRD2PLZ
05-30-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by rage2
It's always best to buy a 1 year old car. The initial depreciation hit is the worse.

Very true. When my ex boyfriend and I were still together we bought a Mustang GT conv 1 year old and saved about $6000 over buying brand new.

girlRACER
05-30-2002, 01:23 PM

Really? I thought Honda's had way better resale value.

G
05-30-2002, 01:29 PM
I have a 2000 prelude that I just sold for 23K. I lost about 7K on it in 2.5 years.

max_boost
05-30-2002, 02:11 PM

Really? I thought Honda's had way better resale value.

I think Hondas just hold their value over time but for the first two years, all cars get hit hard! hehe

max_boost
05-30-2002, 02:14 PM
IMO
I don't like how when you buy a new car you have to pay for freight delivery/PDI/Tire Levy/AC/Tire Tax etc. Whatever else they charge and I don't like how you have to pay more for extra options.

A car should come fully loaded and that's that!

With certain BMWs/Benz and other vehicles, although they maybe 1-2 years old, they still sell for retail price!!! Its because the dam options are so freakin expensive!! LOL

girlRACER
05-30-2002, 02:25 PM
I know what you mean. They always try to sucker people to buy the C-Coupe and advertise it for $33,900 but with all the options and GST and stuff...it's more like mid to high 40's. So if a person has a budget in mind they have to start a little lower to account for all that stuff. And then for someone who is not buying the car, I mean the general public, they only look at the car base price when it actually costs a lot more.

I know for the 230 SLK you have to pay for more options that come included in the 320. But the fact that you have to pay for your Xenons and CD Changer is bad considering most cars come with it!

boi-alien
05-30-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

What a dumbass. Maybe I should get you to try and sell my CRX.:D

are u still selling your car?!

CRXguy
05-30-2002, 04:19 PM
I don't know. I'm still debating.....

I got max boost syndrome, keep changing my mind everyday!:nut:

If you know anyone who's interested, let me know!:thumbsup:

James
05-30-2002, 04:23 PM
How much would you be selling it for? how many k's, etc..?? I might be interested, if low k's.

Superesc
05-30-2002, 04:36 PM
:nut:

CRXguy
05-30-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by James
How much would you be selling it for? how many k's, etc..?? I might be interested, if low k's.

Are you referring to me?

boi-alien
05-30-2002, 04:58 PM

yea i'm interested man... lemme know how much, message me on CP or something

James
05-30-2002, 05:00 PM

Are you referring to me?

Yep, sorry should have been more clear.:banghead:

Yellow_Fly_Red
05-30-2002, 05:53 PM

Wong Fei Hung: Man every asian person knows you I think....:rofl:

I met you a few times in clubs before. I saw pictures of your MB in some of Jen's pictures....I'm Hai's friend (the girl from edmonton).

Sure thing we should get together and have a 2 man car meet...hahahaha

hahaha... yeah... every Asian knows Wong Fei Hung... but I think very few people knows me though...

Hmm... I don't think I know Hai (the girl from Edmonton)..
but then I can hardly remember all the people that I meet at the clubs or at Raves. All the alcohol and E screws up my short-term memory. :)

Anyways..... are you in Jen's collection of pictures too...??
We are all heading up to Edmonton this weekend... I think we are leaving tomorrow night at around 7:30 or 8:00PM. You should join us.

E-mail me whenever you want to hook up...
:thumbsup:

max_boost
05-30-2002, 08:05 PM

Its not MaxBoost syndrome, its just a fact of life when you are face with so many possible choices

G
06-03-2002, 10:03 AM

hahaha... yeah... every Asian knows Wong Fei Hung... but I think very few people knows me though...

Hmm... I don't think I know Hai (the girl from Edmonton)..
but then I can hardly remember all the people that I meet at the clubs or at Raves. All the alcohol and E screws up my short-term memory. :)

Anyways..... are you in Jen's collection of pictures too...??
We are all heading up to Edmonton this weekend... I think we are leaving tomorrow night at around 7:30 or 8:00PM. You should join us.

E-mail me whenever you want to hook up...
:thumbsup:

Edmonton is gangster heaven...:thumbsup:

I try so hard to stay out of Jen's pictures...:rofl:

Have fun in etown.