PDA

View Full Version : TELUS + Bell = Brand New HSPA Platform?

cdnsir
08-29-2008, 02:26 PM
SOURCE: http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=755973

BELL, TELUS IN 3G PACT

Wireless upgrade would allow them to challenge Rogers: sources

David George-Cosh, Financial Post Published: Friday, August 29, 2008

BCE Inc. and Telus Corp. are set to announce an upgrade to a next-generation wireless network next week that will allow the companies to provide the same popular mobile devices, such as the iPhone 3G, that industry leader Rogers Communications Inc. offers, sources have told the Financial Post.

Not sure how reliable this is, but if it's true... OH SWEET!

EDIT: It's now official. HPSA intern then 4G LTE!!!

SOURCE: http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/10102008/30/link-f-cnw-telus-announces-evolution-fourth-generation-wireless.html

TELUS announces evolution to fourth generation wireless
Fri Oct 10, 9:00 AM

VANCOUVER, Oct. 10 /CNW/ - TELUS today announced that it will build a next generation wireless network using the most advanced mobile broadband network technology. Reinforcing TELUS' leadership in the mobile broadband market and the ability to provide clients with the best selection of wireless services and networks in Canada, TELUS announced its commitment to a full national launch of a next generation wireless service by early 2010 based on the latest version of High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) technology. This initiative ensures a smoother transition to long term evolution (LTE) technology, the emerging worldwide fourth generation (4G) technology standard, as it becomes available...

... As part of its investment, TELUS has entered into a network sharing agreement with Bell, which builds on and enhances arrangements in place since 2001. The network sharing agreement allows TELUS to lower the cost, increase the speed of the build-out and gives TELUS the ability to offer the widest national coverage for HSPA, using existing 1900 MHz and 850 MHz spectrum, in the shortest time possible.

The agreement facilitates the more rapid deployment of next generation wireless voice and data services on a national basis, optimizes cell-site utilization, and maximizes the potential for operating efficiencies. Canadians should benefit from enhanced choice for roaming both domestically and internationally and access to new next generation data services and applications.

Xtrema
08-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Inevitable if they want to stay in business.

old&slow
08-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Two worse customer service companies in Canada team up?

Can't wait for that to happen!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

GTS Jeff
08-30-2008, 08:39 PM
So just to clarify, this means they're switching to 3G GSM and we will be able to use GSM phones on their networks in the future?

tacsniper
08-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Its about damn time!! It will still be few years away. I will believe it when I see it.

Mibz
08-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
So just to clarify, this means they're switching to 3G GSM and we will be able to use GSM phones on their networks in the future? You'll be able to use THEIR GSM phones. This -is- Telus we're talking about. It may be a different technology but nothing is stopping them from pulling the same "We won't activate it if you didn't buy it from us" bullshit they are now. Also keep in mind that their data plans are archaic compared to Rogers'.

GTS Jeff
08-31-2008, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
You'll be able to use THEIR GSM phones. This -is- Telus we're talking about. It may be a different technology but nothing is stopping them from pulling the same "We won't activate it if you didn't buy it from us" bullshit they are now. Also keep in mind that their data plans are archaic compared to Rogers'. With GSM, you don't need to activate the phones, they just give you a SIM card that you can throw into any phone, so long as it is not locked to another network.

black13
08-31-2008, 02:30 AM
ABOUT FUCKING TIME!!!!

Too long has Rogers been ruling with their horrible data rates and plans.

Now that they are gonna get some actual competition I bet especially data rates and such are gonna drop alot. Hope this launches as soon as possible.

xkon
08-31-2008, 03:25 AM
Unfortunately I hate Bell and Telus equally. It took rogers years to iron out the bugs in their gsm network. Telus will be no different, if not worse. Did I mention I despise telus and bell???

GoChris
08-31-2008, 07:57 AM
You'll be able to use THEIR GSM phones. This -is- Telus we're talking about. It may be a different technology but nothing is stopping them from pulling the same "We won't activate it if you didn't buy it from us" bullshit they are now. Also keep in mind that their data plans are archaic compared to Rogers'.

wow, what rock do you live under. rogers has the WORST data plans in the country, both telus and bell offer unlimited data on their phones. rogers, nothing close.

Mibz
08-31-2008, 10:02 AM
With GSM, you don't need to activate the phones, they just give you a SIM card that you can throw into any phone, so long as it is not locked to another network. I must be thick because I don't see how that prevents them from locking you to one provider of phone. They can't just make the SIM card only work on Telus phones? If that's the case, cool.

Originally posted by GoChris

wow, what rock do you live under. rogers has the WORST data plans in the country, both telus and bell offer unlimited data on their phones. rogers, nothing close. Double pwned in one thread. I checked their rates before I posted this and missed the "bundles" that included those unlimited plans. Damn cheap too. I retract everything I said.

schocker
08-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by GoChris

wow, what rock do you live under. rogers has the WORST data plans in the country, both telus and bell offer unlimited data on their phones. rogers, nothing close.
oh new data plans from rogers and fido in october

On October 1st Rogers -- and Fido -- will launch a new $15 2MB plan, $25 500MB plan, $30 1GB plan, $60 3GB plan, and an $80 8GB plan. :rofl:

em2ab
08-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Ya, I'm wondering about the technology as well. Is HSPA its own separate technology or does it ride on top of TDMA/CDMA? Obviously Telus is going to keep their CDMA network, they wouldn't switch to TDMA and lose all the benefits they've had. But it sounds like HSPA is its own, completely separate....:confused:

GTS Jeff
08-31-2008, 11:46 AM
I must be thick because I don't see how that prevents them from locking you to one provider of phone. They can't just make the SIM card only work on Telus phones? If that's the case, cool.

If they could, I think every phone company would already be locking their SIM cards...but none of them ever do. Everyone buys unlocked phones for Rogers and Fido. I was using an unlocked Rogers phone on Fido for awhile. :dunno:

kenny
08-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Despite the fact that I hate Telus and would never be their customer again this news is awesome. It will put pressure on Rogers/Fido to offer better plans and will also force their retention teams to offer better plans as well to people that threaten to jump over to Telus/Bell's network with their unlocked phones.

cdnsir
08-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
Ya, I'm wondering about the technology as well. Is HSPA its own separate technology or does it ride on top of TDMA/CDMA? Obviously Telus is going to keep their CDMA network, they wouldn't switch to TDMA and lose all the benefits they've had. But it sounds like HSPA is its own, completely separate....:confused:

Yea I'm really curious about this too. It said it won't do 2G gsm to avoid roaming on rogers. So it sounds kinda like it'll let hspa handle all voice and data. So what happens when the 3G signal is low? It can't drop down to 2G gsm cuz that's not an option, and it can't switch to cdma cuz they're not compatible... I guess we'll just have to wait until they make their official announcements.

Anyway, like most have said already, this would be great news for telecom in Canada. Hopefully this will bump the wireless industry here in moving and evolving just that much faster.

cdnsir
10-10-2008, 09:54 AM
BUMP

Rumor is now official. HPSA intern then 4G by 2010!

Mibz
10-10-2008, 10:07 AM
This is great news.

FiveFreshFish
10-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by cdnsir
BUMP

Rumor is now official. HPSA intern then 4G by 2010!

Just about the right time to upgrade my phone.

GoChris
10-10-2008, 12:37 PM
This is great news.

x2

tacsniper
10-10-2008, 05:30 PM

If they could, I think every phone company would already be locking their SIM cards...but none of them ever do. Everyone buys unlocked phones for Rogers and Fido. I was using an unlocked Rogers phone on Fido for awhile. :dunno:

Those guys are in the business to sell their service, not phones.

Weapon_R
10-10-2008, 05:47 PM
fuck ya! I just switched to bell and my only worry was the phone selection...

dino_martini
10-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Can someone explain to me what HSDPA is?

Edit - Never mind, its 3g. So Telus/Bell 3g by early 2010?

Mibz
10-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Can someone explain to me what HSDPA is?

Edit - Never mind, its 3g. So Telus/Bell 3g by early 2010? Pretty much. Then when LTE hits it'll be a lot easier for them. Makes sense.

crewchaud
10-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Just to clarify...

TDMA is only used by the MIKE network at this point and should be coming down with in the next couple of years as Telus recently anonnced that they would only be supporting the network for another 2 years (2010).

HSPA is just a more advanced version of GSM.

CDMA will probably never go away as it works hand in hand with the GSM side of the business when it comes to LTE.

The goal is to have it place for the 2010 Olympics so the 2 carriers can take advantage of the "roaming" cash cow when everyone shows up from around the world. With Rogers being the only GSM provider in Canada and GSM being the world standard, this provides Rogers with an estimated extra $500 million a year.

Sailz
10-10-2008, 08:07 PM
STFU!!! Telus Mobility has the best customer service in the industry.....don't even try and tell me Rogers gives better service...and if you do then your name suits you very well but it should be renamed Old,Slow&dumb

Originally posted by old&slow
Two worse customer service companies in Canada team up?

Can't wait for that to happen!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

cdnsir
10-05-2009, 03:49 PM
One year later and it's finally here! Let the wireless competition begin in Canada, starting with the iPhone!!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/bell-telus-to-launch-iphone-next-month/article1312692/

Bell, Telus to launch iPhone next month
Simon Avery

Globe and Mail Update Last updated on Monday, Oct. 05, 2009 05:25PM EDT

BCE Inc.'s (BCE-T26.300.250.96%) Bell Canada and Telus Corp. (T-T33.96-0.12-0.35%) will begin selling the iPhone next month, breaking the stranglehold on the device that their rival Rogers Communications Inc. (RCI.B-T28.95-0.14-0.48%) has held for more than a year.

Both carriers hope the addition of Apple Inc.'s (AAPL-Q186.021.120.61%) groundbreaking smart phone to their lineups will help them sign up higher-value customers and shift the balance of power in Canada's mobile market.

Bell announced on Monday that it will launch in November, months ahead of schedule, the next-generation wireless network it has been building with Telus. The build-out extends the companies' existing 3G (third generation) network to include the same technology standard employed by Rogers, the nation's largest cellphone company.

Telus has yet to give an indication of when it will begin offering service on the new network.

Mibz
10-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Holy shit, yes!

frozenrice
10-05-2009, 09:15 PM
From another reputable source :

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/10/05/bell-telus-launching-iphone-rogers.html

GoChris
10-05-2009, 10:36 PM
finally! I've been dying to upgrade my phone, even went and got a palm pre only to take it back. I think I can wait until november now. not interested in an iphone, but android here I come.

les.reynolds
10-06-2009, 12:42 AM

I have been in contact with a few higher up people in Telus since work for the Canadian Institute for the Blind and the new iPhone is the big talk of town. If I tried to ask them something myself I would never get a direct answer although once I told them I was in the tech department for CNIB I got forwarded to a gentleman that answered everything. He told me that Telus would carry the iPhone and look for it in December as long as there are no set backs. Although he told me that with this new network the phones running on it wouldn't fall back on their existing network if there was no coverage.

I asked him if Bell would be moving the iPhone in also and he commented on how Bell isnt doing good right now and they are losing customer and he was pretty tight lipped. Although he seemed to hint at the fact that even though Bell is having issues they would still be able to carry the phone since they use the same network and towers.

Sadly one thing he did mention is that their unlimited data plan could rise to 50 bucks for the iPhone.

GoChris
10-06-2009, 07:29 AM
http://www.bce.ca/en/news/releases/bm/2009/10/06/75222.html

MISSISSAUGA, ON, Oct. 6 2009 -- Bell and Apple have reached an
agreement to bring iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS to Canada this November.
To learn more about Bell's new 3G network, please visit bell.ca/network
or bell.ca/reseau.

scat19
10-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
From another reputable source :

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/10/05/bell-telus-launching-iphone-rogers.html

And another

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-news/confirmed-bell-and-telus-to-launch-iphone-3g3gs-in-canada/

Who can't wait to call into rogers and say hey.... :devil:

SScott
10-06-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't know much about wireless networks but does that mean bell and telus will be switching to sim cards?

cdnsir
10-06-2009, 10:08 AM
^^

It depends on the device. All their existing phones (ie CDMA) will continue to work without a sim card as there's no way they will shut that network down.

The only time that you will need a sim card is if you CHOOSE to use a newer device that utilizes their second network (ie HPSA).

ercchry
10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
so if i go into telus in a month or so with this

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140333846926

will they say, here is a sim card have a nice day.... OR... gtfo and continue to be stuck with your shitty "smart" phone that does not recieve texts

scat19
10-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

will they say, here is a sim card have a nice day.... OR... gtfo and continue to be stuck with your shitty "smart" phone that does not recieve texts

If it's a GSM phone, and accepts sim cards, your set.

BTW that brick phone is a Chinese knockoff of the original Motorola brick phone in 1993.

This one has MP3/4, AVI, sms, mms support to boot! haha.

dino_martini
10-06-2009, 11:15 AM

They will probably all have stunned faces and then explain that your phone won't run on their newest HSPA+ Network, would you like to purchase an iPhone 3gs? BlackBerry 9700? Nokia E72?

Originally posted by cdnsir
^^

It depends on the device. All their existing phones (ie CDMA) will continue to work without a sim card as there's no way they will shut that network down.

The only time that you will need a sim card is if you CHOOSE to use a newer device that utilizes their second network (ie HPSA).

Word, they won't be forcing anyone to get off of CDMA just yet. But there will be some incentives to get onto HSPA+. I don't see CDMA being shut down for a while considering all the Pre-Paid and everything is still on CDMA

Originally posted by scat19

If it's a GSM phone, and accepts sim cards, your set.

BTW that brick phone is a Chinese knockoff of the original Motorola brick phone in 1993.

This one has MP3/4, AVI, sms, mms support to boot! haha.

Thats not correct. Bell and Telus are launching HSPA networks. So phones like the BlackBerry Bold, iPhone 3g/s, Nokia E71/2 N95/6 will run on that network.

Phones like iPhone 2g, BlackBerry Curve, BlackBerry Curve 8900, any phone that runs EDGE. Will not work on the new network.

les.reynolds
10-09-2009, 08:04 PM

I think they might ask you if you beat up Zack from saved by the bell for his phone.