PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Service Q&A

Fluidic
09-09-2003, 11:31 PM
I just checked my voicemail on... whim... this evening... and I have over 12 new voicemails. A few of the voicemails were people calling me back after they had left the first or second voicemail. Needless to say -- half my buddies are pissed off! lol

Now tell me... how come my phone didn't ring... and how come I didn't get the voicemail icon notification on my Motorola V60G like I normally do?!?! I called Rogers, and the kind lady told me to shut my phone off for like a minute, then turn it on again. I did... and my buddies (whom I spoke on MSN) called me to try it, but my fucking phone doesn't ring -- it doesn't even notify me on the screen that there's an incoming call.

I'm thinking my phone is defunct... or could it be Rogers?! I have a phone sitting in front of me... but I can't receive calls... I can only make them.

Please help -- I feel like a n00b! lol

Peter

Weapon_R
09-09-2003, 11:35 PM
bad reception

kenny
09-09-2003, 11:37 PM
If its bad reception, then you should receive the voice mail notification when you move into an area where there is reception.

Fluidic
09-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Now I'm pissed... I've got a defunkt phone... oh well... still in warranty... :)

I wish it was something on Roger's end... time for the "loaner" phone. Yuck! =P

Peter

Mckenzie
09-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Everything about Rogers blows period..... I phoned and bitched at them today because I have had like 30 dropped calls in the last month and they gave me 50 free minutes on this billing cycle.

FYI dropped call areas for Rogers..... Mckenzie Lake Blvd between the 2 mountain park entrances, Anderson Rd between bonaventure and acadia dr, and anywhere at the U of C.

Rogers Sux ASS..... And so do loaner phones..... you should phone around to the different stores and make sure they have decen phones before you go ahead and get one.... I got stuck last month with a phone that had no charger and it did not hold the initial charge in the first place.

Fluidic
09-09-2003, 11:52 PM
If I do change providers... I will simply have my phone unlocked and mozy on over to Fido -- I'm GSM for life! :)

Peter

djfob
09-10-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
If I do change providers... I will simply have my phone unlocked and mozy on over to Fido -- I'm GSM for life! :)

Peter

Fido's pretty much the same if not worse then roger's. I wish there were better gsm providers out there.

D'z Nutz
09-10-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by djfob

Fido's pretty much the same if not worse then roger's. I wish there were better gsm providers out there.

There are better GSM providers out there... Just not here! Hahaha!

kenny
09-10-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by djfob

While Fido is not up to par with Telus coverage, it is far superior to Rogers GSM network. Fido is really strong with few areas that have crappy coverage. Roger's GSM network is generally weak with tons of coverage holes. Hopefully when Roger's GSM850 network is launched it'll improve GSM coverage in Calgary.

quiksilver
09-10-2003, 01:20 AM
this happened to a friend from work, but he also wasn't getting reception. the guy said he couldn't test it cause they were to close to a tower, he ended up only having one bar anyways.

stupid phones

Fluidic
09-10-2003, 08:31 AM
I'm interested in purchasing that Samsung flip picture phone -- the one I can use on GSM here... anyone know anything about it? Good? Bad?

Peter

lammer
09-10-2003, 09:53 AM
my co-worker has one of those. i didn't really get a close up look of it but its quite expensive, and loosk nice.

roopi
09-10-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm interested in purchasing that Samsung flip picture phone -- the one I can use on GSM here... anyone know anything about it? Good? Bad?

Peter

Which model # are you referring to?

Fluidic
09-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Ok, I'm an idiot... I meant the Panasonic GD88.

http://www.panasonic.com.cn/mobiles/images/gd88_pho9.gif

Peter

atomic
09-10-2003, 10:40 AM
i have that same problem.. it will ring mostly . just not all the time .. sometimes i'll have it on my desk at work . and it'll go "BING" and say "NEw Voice Message Waiting..." .. and it didn't ring ..

i go through rogers too

Fluidic
09-10-2003, 10:42 AM
I'm going to call today and make a formal complaint... ask for something free... who knows.

Rogers is starting to get on my nerves... :P

Peter

rage2
09-10-2003, 10:43 AM
I'm used to calling friends with Roger's now. If I get voicemail, or fast busy, I just hang up and call again. Usually by the 2nd try, their phone will ring and it'll go through.

roopi
09-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Ok, I'm an idiot... I meant the Panasonic GD88.

http://www.panasonic.com.cn/mobiles/images/gd88_pho9.gif

Peter

The phone has a wicked screen on it but I wasn't impressed with the ringer volume or the earpiece sound. The vibrate was kind of weak as well. I only kept it for a week so IMO :thumbsdow

GTS Jeff
09-10-2003, 04:50 PM
actually, if there was a phone that shouldnt suck for reception, itd be the v60g.

so maybe u dropped it one too many times?

Originally posted by rage2
I'm used to calling friends with Roger's now. If I get voicemail, or fast busy, I just hang up and call again. Usually by the 2nd try, their phone will ring and it'll go through. haha so true.

kaput
09-10-2003, 05:09 PM

roopi
09-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Ok so I'm even more of a noob then peter is, what's GSM?

GSM is the type of network the provider uses.

Telus uses CDMA
Bell uses CDMA
Rogers uses TDMA and GSM
Fido uses GSM

Within GSM there are different frequencies as well. Fido operates on 1900 and Rogers operates on 1900 but is implementing 850.

Dj_Stylz
09-10-2003, 08:43 PM
My phone is messed up also i got a bell and sometimes when people call me i hear the ring but i cant hear people talking Its so messed up
i gota hit the back of it many times to get it working again sometimes i catnt even hear anything
this happen to anyone else??

kaput
09-10-2003, 08:47 PM

Akagi Redsuns
09-10-2003, 09:00 PM
GSM=Global System Mobile (or Global System for Mobile Communication )
TDM=Time Division Mutliplex
CDM=Code Division Multiplex

Just basically different schemes to encode analog voices to digital signals and how to transmit them. A phone can only do 1 really and 1900MHz and 850MHz translates to the frequency that the GSM operates at. Do a search if you want to know more. I forgotten most of this stuff already from a Digital Transmission course :(

Akagi Redsuns
09-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Now I'm pissed... I've got a defunkt phone... oh well... still in warranty... :)

I wish it was something on Roger's end... time for the "loaner" phone. Yuck! =P

Peter

Loaner phone? You can go to that service place in Calgary and it's usually fixed within a day....at least it was with my V60g. Cellcom or something like that in TD Square.

KLCC
09-10-2003, 10:44 PM
actually one downside of GD88, is that there is no active flip....
and that means if you have to answer the phone you would have to open up and press talk....same goes for ending the conversation.....it is quite annoy for clam-shell phone.....

xkon
09-10-2003, 11:24 PM

Peter

i can do it for $20... im in douglasglen :)

and go to the rogers just north of chinook, they can give you a v60 loaner... and maybe just take your old one and give you an over the counter replacement... did it last month with my v60, worked like a charm!

Fluidic
09-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by xkon

i can do it for $20... im in douglasglen :)

and go to the rogers just north of chinook, they can give you a v60 loaner... and maybe just take your old one and give you an over the counter replacement... did it last month with my v60, worked like a charm!

Cool -- thanks bro. PM me your phone number and I'll give you a ring.

Peter

roopi
09-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

A phone can only do 1 really and 1900MHz and 850MHz translates to the frequency that the GSM operates at.

True a phone can only use one frequency at one time but you can purchase single-band, dual-band, tri-band, and quad-band (V600 soon!!!) phones that will switch between bands depending on the stronger signal or the country you are in.

There is also GAIT phones available (ex. Nokia 6340) that will switch between GSM and Analog (little buggy going back from Analog to GSM I hear).

But what you said is correct I just wanted to this out though.

Akagi Redsuns
09-11-2003, 08:14 AM
I love the looks of the V600. When is it coming out? It supports the new GSM850 doesn't it?

With the 1, I meant that it can only support 1 encoding scheme, like TDMA, or CDMA, or GSM, but not a combination. Tried to squeeze too much in one sentence and didn't come out right, heehee. Thanks for the clearing up :)

kenny
09-11-2003, 10:04 AM
With the 1, I meant that it can only support 1 encoding scheme, like TDMA, or CDMA, or GSM, but not a combination. Tried to squeeze too much in one sentence and didn't come out right, heehee. Thanks for the clearing up :)

Thats not true either, there are phones out there that support both GSM, TDMA and Analog operation. Ericsson makes one, dont remember the model

Akagi Redsuns
09-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Sweet, I want one provided it's at a resonable cost. I always thought it was a consipiracy for more sales since like the V60, there is 3 versions for 3 encoding schemes, V60g, V60t and V60c...and I know Nokia has there different versions as well. I know there is dual or tri-band with NAMPS/AMPS analog, but never seen it done with 2 different digitals.....must be pretty new.

roopi
09-11-2003, 11:19 AM
I love the looks of the V600. When is it coming out? It supports the new GSM850 doesn't it?

Yes it is a quad band phone. It will operate on GSM 850/900/1800/1900.

Originally posted by kenny

Thats not true either, there are phones out there that support both GSM, TDMA and Analog operation. Ericsson makes one, dont remember the model

The Nokia 6340 and Siemens S46 are both GAIT phones. They will switch between GSM, TDMA, and analog. I'm not familiar with SE's model. I'd really like to know if you happen to remember.

kenny
09-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by roopi
The Nokia 6340 and Siemens S46 are both GAIT phones. They will switch between GSM, TDMA, and analog. I'm not familiar with SE's model. I'd really like to know if you happen to remember.

SE T62U

link785
09-20-2003, 03:43 AM
GSM=Global System Mobile (or Global System for Mobile Communication )
TDM=Time Division Mutliplex
CDM=Code Division Multiplex

GSM = Global Standard for Mobile Communication
TDMA = Time Divided Multiple Access
CDMA = Code Divided Multiple Access

A simple google search will also allow you to find the proper information :)

Akagi Redsuns
09-20-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by link785

GSM = Global Standard for Mobile Communication
TDMA = Time Divided Multiple Access
CDMA = Code Divided Multiple Access

A simple google search will also allow you to find the proper information :)

Thanks for correcting me on the Multiple Access (Multiplex sorta means the same thing:), more information on a specific stream, aka Multiple Access....but yeah I was wrong )....it was on the top of my head, but your answers are also wrong too. Of course divided and division means the same thing as well, but division is whats generally used. Just a small sample below describing the encoding and transmission schemes that is CDMA and TDMA and I have several books on it as well.

http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/tdma/
http://www.qualcomm.com/cdma/
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/TDMA.html
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/TDMA
http://www.arcx.com/sites/CDMAvsTDMA.htm

gongSHOW
10-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Hey, I am also thinking of getting a new phone! Upgrading from my Nokia 3390 on Fido. I've found fido service very good in the city but there are many holes in the coverage when you start going outside of the city. I am currently looking at the Nokia 6800, what do you guys think about, anyone ever own one here if so what were your experinces? It is a reletively new phone so I wouldn't be suprised if no one has had one!

http://www.nokia.com/pics/phones/phone_models/6800_mainpage_s1a.jpg

roopi
10-02-2003, 11:22 PM
I've heard alot of good things about the new Nokia's. Nokia has always made good phones. It's too bad they don't make clamshell phones since I tend to buy them the most. I really like Nokia's menus as well.

I've heard great things about this phone as well. Most people who have purchased it have loved it! Some diehard Nokia guys I have spoke with said that it is the best Nokia they have owned to date. Personally I still like the 8890. :D I don't think that phone will ever lose value.

D'z Nutz
10-02-2003, 11:36 PM
I used to think Nokia phones were cool, but recently I reverted back to Motorola. For a while I really hated Motorolas cause they lacked a lot of features other manufactures had on their phones... untill I realised they were features I never used (or would ever use). But with the purchase of my v60i, Motorola's really rekindled my interest in cellular phones. Sure, the phone's an old model, but if it weren't good, it wouldn't have been so popular! Besides, I've spent countless hours programming in Motorola assembly, so I'm the Motorola Man!!

Check out some of the sweet ass phones Motorola's got coming out: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/moto_2003_fall/index.php?p=1

Weapon_R
10-02-2003, 11:50 PM
It's surprising that Motorola is going to carry on their C series phones. I think they are the worst phones ever. Fortunately, it seems that they are going to be some of the first affordable camera phones.

I think that Nokia has the edge on Motorola for cell phones, however. Nokia and Sony Ericsson (same company) have a combined cell phone arsenal that decimates anything that Motorola has been able to bring out lately. Even the V series phones are pretty weak against some of the higher Nokia/Ericssons that have come out (ie nokia 6220, 6650, SE P800) have so far been unmatched. The v600 should change that, but it's too little, too late imo. It's going to be overpriced (like the v60, v70 series) and has some serious competition already and they haven't even released some of their camera phones yet.

The 6800 is a pretty amazing phone. I'd definately go for it if you have the flow. I just got the 3595 and it's big and bulky but does it ever carry a signal! Where the v60 would never be able to dial out, the new Nokia does with ease (also takes advantage of the 850mhz gsm band so that may be why it's doing so well.)Definately going back to Nokia after leaving them because of the shitty 8390, although I still think the v60 was a pretty good phone.

roopi
10-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I used to think Nokia phones were cool, but recently I reverted back to Motorola. For a while I really hated Motorolas cause they lacked a lot of features other manufactures had on their phones... untill I realised they were features I never used (or would ever use). But with the purchase of my v60i, Motorola's really rekindled my interest in cellular phones. Sure, the phone's an old model, but if it weren't good, it wouldn't have been so popular! Besides, I've spent countless hours programming in Motorola assembly, so I'm the Motorola Man!!

Check out some of the sweet ass phones Motorola's got coming out: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/moto_2003_fall/index.php?p=1

yeah good line up coming out. v600 shoud be available sometime this month for sure.

it's about time moto introduced BT in a phone. they were really losing there market share i think. the v60 can take them only so far.

gongSHOW
10-03-2003, 08:29 PM
actually guys I now think i'm gonna get the Sony Ericsson t610. What do you think I should get SE t610 or the Nokia 6800