PDA

View Full Version : Any Bio majors or knowlegable people chime in: Myostatin Gene.

Darkane
08-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Just curious on this guy. I've read more than half of the pro bodybuilders half this gene inactive. Now if that's artificially or naturally I'm not sure.

There's some cattle that have this gene inactive too and are "double muscled".

Question: Why is this gene responsible (mostly) for total muscle mass? Is it easily blocked? Are there any acute/significant effects because of it?

Discuss.

GTSJeff, pull some info from the internet and paste it here. J/K, anticipating your response. :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
08-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
GTSJeff, pull some info from the internet and paste it here. J/K, anticipating your response. :thumbsup: People wonder why I don't post much on Beyond anymore...this is why.

buh_buh
08-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
People wonder why I don't post much on Beyond anymore...this is why. who's wondering?:dunno:

Darkane
08-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
People wonder why I don't post much on Beyond anymore...this is why.

There is a reason why I didn't post a reply to you response on my Painkiller/Protein sythesis thread. I don't have enough background in the subject.

I know you do, so If I came across sounding like a jackass here I was honestly joking. But yeah suite yourself I guess.

Darkane
08-30-2008, 12:17 PM
I found all the info I needed.

There was an experimental drug to block Myostatin, they pulled it. It was made by a pharmaceutical company, not a supplement company.

Also, there is another type of drug being developed to combat muscular dystrophy by binding to the myostatin as opposed to making the gene lie dormant or destroying it.

This is pretty cool stuff and if something successful becomes available even by prescription only it will help many illnesses.

Muscular Dystrophy
Diabetes
Obesity
AIDS

Lots of stuff. Neat-O

reno97637
08-30-2008, 09:11 PM
I could get some info, give me a couple of days.

reno97637
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
This is from my friend:

From what I've read, the exact mechanism of how myostatin works is unknown. Researchers have found this gene in mice, in which if you mutate it, mice will have at least 60% more muscle mass. Myostatin is produced by the skeletal muscle cells, the muscles attached to our tendons that creates movements, which circulates in our blood and lymph vessles and acts on muscle tissues, reducing muscle stem cell development (muscles that haven't developed yet).

As a clinical point of view, I don't think there's a drug that inhibits myostatin that is commercially available right now. But there is an antibody genetically engineered by a pharmaceutical company in New Jersey designed to block myostatin. Apparently, there are fake myostatin inhibitors being sold on the net, so if you know anyone trying to get their hand on it, tell em to be careful.

Cheers

Darkane
09-03-2008, 08:27 PM
^^ Right on, thanks! :D