PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Question

Wildcat
09-09-2003, 11:48 PM
how can i control which programs automatically start up when i turn on my computer? thanks (sorry if its a newb question.. i dunno :dunno: )

-Tyler

AquamosH
09-09-2003, 11:51 PM
Click the Start button, then All Programs, then the Startup folder

lammer
09-09-2003, 11:53 PM
then drag whatever file you want to that folder.

or if you want like MSN/icq/messenger programs

there should be an option to choose whether to start up during the start up of your comp

googe
09-10-2003, 01:52 AM
start - run - msconfig

click the startup tab

thats where all the dirty adware programs can be disabled

Wildcat
09-10-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by googe
start - run - msconfig

click the startup tab

thats where all the dirty adware programs can be disabled

thanks googe, thats exacly what i was trying to do
:thumbsup:

/////AMG
09-10-2003, 06:23 PM
lol, I had the exact same problem too, but now my MS WORD file are no longer visable in the start up menu, but I'll think I got a way to put them back. Just tellin goto make sure.

Wildcat
09-10-2003, 09:32 PM
another question:

im getting this error message everytime i startup my computer:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\System32.exe'. Make sure that you have typed the file name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

system32 is pissing me right off... :guns:

Spawn
09-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
another question:

im getting this error message everytime i startup my computer:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\System32.exe'. Make sure that you have typed the file name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

system32 is pissing me right off... :guns:

Sounds like a virus. Could be this one http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.kwbot.f.worm.html

Or a number of different other ones. Do you have a virus scanner running?

Wildcat
09-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Spawn

Sounds like a virus. Could be this one http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.kwbot.f.worm.html

Or a number of different other ones. Do you have a virus scanner running?

ya, norton said it was a worm, but i wont get rid of it for me cause its write protected... and when i do scans it freezes when it gets to the file.... i might have to take my comp in to get serviced unless someone has any other ideas:dunno:

googe
09-11-2003, 03:02 AM
what version of windows?

it actually sounds like its gone already, but something in your startup is trying to start it (cant find it, so its bitching)

you can probably just go into msconfig and look for a line that is trying to start it, and uncheck the box

Spawn
09-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat

ya, norton said it was a worm, but i wont get rid of it for me cause its write protected... and when i do scans it freezes when it gets to the file.... i might have to take my comp in to get serviced unless someone has any other ideas:dunno:

Could be currently in use by windows. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and under the process' tab see if system32.exe is running. IF it is, click on it and press the end process button, then you could delete that file.

Wildcat
09-11-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by googe
what version of windows?

it actually sounds like its gone already, but something in your startup is trying to start it (cant find it, so its bitching)

you can probably just go into msconfig and look for a line that is trying to start it, and uncheck the box

ya i got rid of it already but it still wants to run upon booting up, i dont think i can find it on msconfig either.. but im sure its probly ther