PDA

View Full Version : mexican adobo recipes

nonlinear
08-30-2008, 06:52 PM
hi,

we have this jar of dona maria adobo sauce that we bought down in the states. we are a big fan of their mole sauce that you can buy here (it's really good for a jar! plus you can use the jar as a glass when you're done), but we've never had adobo sauce at home.

can anyone recommend any good adobo recipes? seems like it's usually used as a marinade or condiment sauce, but just seeing if anyone can recommend anything.

peace
non.

Kritafo
08-31-2008, 12:06 PM
* 1 whole cut-up chicken
* oil (olive, corn, etc.)
* 1 jar Doņa Maria Mole Adobo (or regular mole)
* a little sugar (optional)
* 2 cups chicken broth

First, bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Stir in 1/2 jar of mole adobo and a little sugar to taste (to cut the bitterness a bit) and whisk constantly until mole blends into the sauce. This takes a little time and effort so be patient.

Meanwhile brown chicken parts in a frying pan in a little oil over medium heat. Add in mole sauce. Bring to simmer then reduce to low. Cover and cook 20-30 minutes more. Serve with white rice and an orange, red onion, and arugula salad. Serves 4.

I love using the Dona Maria brand. Do you if you can buy the Ibarra Mexican baking disks anywhere in Calgary?

Stuffed Poblano Peppers
one large pattypan squash ( the little button squash)
one large vine ripened tomato
one fresh jalapeno
one fresh poblano pepper for each person you're serving - this recipe made three)
1/2 cup roasted corn
1 large sweet red pepper
1/2 white onion
1 pint of baby portobello mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
2 tbsp. crumbled feta
3 tbsp. jarred jalapeno juice
1/3 cup shredded cheese per pepper. I used a four cheese mexican blend from Costco
Adobo Sauce - I used Dona Maria paste, and follow the direction on the back of the jar to reconstitute enough to drizzle over the peppers.

Directions: cut all the vegetables except the poblanos into small pieces. Grill on the stove top in a non-stick skillet until tender. While these are cooking, make a t-shaped cut close to the stem of each poblano and slice it down the length (being sure not to cut through the back of the pepper). Place into a baking dish and broil until the outer skin of the poblanos start to bubble up and char.

Remove cooked vegetables from stove top and mix in 2 -3 tbsp. jarred jalapeno juice. Stuff the peppers with the vegetable mixture, and then the shredded cheese. Drizzle adobo sauce over the peppers and sprinkle crumbled queso fresco on each pepper. Bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, until heated through and the poblanos are tender.

The poblanos are good stuffed with beans (refried or whole) and basically any combination of vegetables that you have.

I haven't made this recipe yet....we are just waiting for our poblano's to ripen.

Search the web, you will find them, let me know what you try.

We are just going to make Mexican hot chocolate.

nonlinear
08-31-2008, 01:15 PM
hey kritafo,

that recipe is basically the same one we use for making the regular mole sauce (actually we made that last night, cause couldn't decide on what to do with the adobo).

the stuffed peppers look great, maybe we'll try that. thanks homes!

i agree with you that dona maria stuff rules. it's super cheap, very easy, and tastes great and super authentic. that jarred mole is better that some moles you'll pay $15 bucks for at a restaurant in calgary!

we were just down in seattle and picked up the adobo and dona maria verde sauce, just cause we love the mole and have never seen these other two varieties in calgary. unfortunately, we dropped the verde sauce in the driveway and it broke, so won't get to try that one!

i'm not sure where to buy those chocolate disks. did you try boca loca? or that latino corner store market (i'm not sure of the name, but i hear it mentioned when i ask for mexican/latin markets)

mmm... what a perfect day for hot chocolate!

Kritafo
08-31-2008, 01:28 PM
I have dropped one too many jars and try to only buy the tretra paks when we can find it.

We buy any Dona Maria product we can find when we go down to the US. We always seem to find a use for it.

The Mexican drinking chocolate we bought in Seattle at Rose's Chocolates at Pike Market....It took my breath away when we opened it, it has a lot of spice to it.

Yes...that first recipe if just like Mole. I love Mole..and was so incredibly disappointed when Superstore's PC brand came out and it sucked.

I am going to see what the Mexican market has here.