PDA

View Full Version : RIAA: Screw em! Suin a 12 yr old girl!

403Gemini
09-10-2003, 01:13 AM
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/5349.htm

her and 260 other peeps were sued in the last 24 hours (261 total... so far...)

and resolved in 1 day to pay $2000... while college students hafta pay $15,000

http://www.msnbc.com/news/964154.asp?0bl=-0&cp1=1

i say if they come to your house , give em the finger tell em to fuck off and stop wasting your time and slam the door in their face

(sorry for bad language, but these guys are takin it a lil to far)

Stratus_Power
09-10-2003, 01:18 AM
" "It's not like we were doing anything illegal," said Torres. "This is a 12-year-old girl, for crying out loud." "

:rolleyes:

403Gemini
09-10-2003, 01:20 AM
they paid the 29.99 service fee from kazaa, if you were comp illiterate you would think that you would be safe too...

worst thing is i think, they are pickin on a 12 yr old girl with a 9 yr old brother and a single mom in a housing project.... obviously somebody who cant afford a high ticket lawyer to help em... this is bullshit. they are simply being nazi's and using terror tactics. a congressman even said: "They are no differeant than school yard bullies without teacher supervision! this must stop!"

James
09-10-2003, 01:20 AM
wtf, i never even payed the $29.95 service fee!...they cant sue us in Canada can they :confused: !?!

403Gemini
09-10-2003, 01:22 AM
As far as i know, canada is safe. (kazaa lite is free and older versions of kazaa are free... but if you are now downloading new ones its a service charge i believe... just get kazaa lite 2.4.2 and yoru 100% safe cause of Ip blocker n such)

sexualbanana
09-10-2003, 02:01 AM
As far as I'm concerned, I think downloading music is great for the consumer because it forces labels to put out a better product as opposed to investing in one-hit wonders that make a quick buck.

Honestly, if I were 16 again and actually paid $17 for a Baha Men album, I'd have to shoot myself. Bands such as Coldplay, Metallica, OLP, Foo Fighters, Eminem (shudder), etc. all still make a lot of money because they've proven that they can put out good songs on a consistent basis, and fans will still buy their albums because they are fans of good music. Not that one-hit "Who let the dogs out" shit.

403Gemini
09-10-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
As far as I'm concerned, I think downloading music is great for the consumer because it forces labels to put out a better product as opposed to investing in one-hit wonders that make a quick buck.

Honestly, if I were 16 again and actually paid $17 for a Baha Men album, I'd have to shoot myself. Bands such as Coldplay, Metallica, OLP, Foo Fighters, Eminem (shudder), etc. all still make a lot of money because they've proven that they can put out good songs on a consistent basis, and fans will still buy their albums because they are fans of good music. Not that one-hit "Who let the dogs out" shit.

i agree 100% !

if they didnt put out shit i wouldnt mind forkin over the $15. like you said, you may not like eminem but i bought all his cd's cause i love his stuff (his new stuff mroe than the old tho... ive only listened to his 1st cd maybe once? lol)

James
09-10-2003, 02:06 AM

never thought of that before, so true!

Honestly, if I were 16 again and actually paid $17 for a Baha Men album, I'd have to shoot myself.

:rofl: :rofl:.....ahhh shit, or N*Sync! :rofl:

RiCE-DaDDy
09-10-2003, 02:59 AM
i thought new york post was like a tabloid

sexualbanana
09-10-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
i thought new york post was like a tabloid

Even if it was, MSNBC wrote an update article. So it would actually be partially true.

pinoyhero
09-10-2003, 05:35 AM
Nice work on the 12 year old girl. I'm sure she was up to date with the legality of copyiright issues. Way to take down the real criminals, what a load o crap!!!!!

4wheeldrift
09-10-2003, 06:55 AM
The RIAA needs to realise that sales aren't falling off because of downloading music, its falling off because we are sick and fucking tired of listening to the same overly produced, recycled, soulless, uninspired crap over and over and over. If something original hit store shelves they would move a ton of it.

accordboi_02
09-10-2003, 08:29 AM
http://www.ebolaworld.com/mainpage02.html

It's a flash site so click on "Taco Man Hates the RIAA"

Enjoyable cartoon.

:thumbsup:

t"raver1"smith
09-10-2003, 01:07 PM
your definitely not 'safe' in Canada. one of friends step dads is getting sued still from napster, and he's scared shitless of the same thing happening with kazaa right now. he told me that according to his lawyer, it really doesn't matter where you are, they can get you if they want to pursue it into your country.:guns:

can't f**king believe how far they are going with this though. if you pay a fee then your right to dl should be protected, and they people who collect the fees should be the only ones to go down. IF they are not paying the royalties.:dunno:

403Gemini
09-10-2003, 02:36 PM
What ive heard:

since napster , our cd prices (blank cd's), blank tapes (cassette and video) and some other recording products have gone up SLIGHTLY. Not really enough to notice but to protect us from this cause a portion of every blank cd we buy goto the royalites... thats what ive heard tho... not 100% positive

i say if you must file share, use kazaa lite 2.4.2 which blocks your ip and all of riaa's IP's

yankeefan
09-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
http://www.ebolaworld.com/mainpage02.html

It's a flash site so click on "Taco Man Hates the RIAA"

Enjoyable cartoon.

:thumbsup:
:rofl:

kaput
09-10-2003, 03:55 PM

szw
09-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by t"raver1"smith
your definitely not 'safe' in Canada. one of friends step dads is getting sued still from napster, and he's scared shitless of the same thing happening with kazaa right now. he told me that according to his lawyer, it really doesn't matter where you are, they can get you if they want to pursue it into your country.:guns:

There was a segment on the news yesterday or the day before about this. They said you are safe in canada because of privacy laws (or something to that effect) but they are working on changing them soon. The guy actually said something like 'so download all your music now while you can' haha...

t"raver1"smith
09-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by szw

There was a segment on the news yesterday or the day before about this. They said you are safe in canada because of privacy laws (or something to that effect) but they are working on changing them soon. The guy actually said something like 'so download all your music now while you can' haha...

no idea what thats all about, cause like i said my bud's dad is still in court with mettalica. only thing i can think is that it depends on who is willing to come to Canada to sue your ass. it's possible i could be wrong though i haven't been ear to the ground on this one to know all the in and outs. maybe someone else has the real goods on whether or not it is ok to dl.

sexualbanana
09-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by t"raver1"smith

no idea what thats all about, cause like i said my bud's dad is still in court with mettalica.

Maybe you can get their autograph after :rofl:

Alpine Autowerks
09-10-2003, 08:58 PM
before CD's you did not have buy a $20 album..you could buy a 45 (single) song for a few bucks. I have too many Cd's I bouught to get the 1 good track.

I had a freind who worked for CBS records and later Sony, his position on my copying my music from 1 format to another was theft and that I should repurchase the music. F.. that he was told.

RIAA has always been their own worst enemy with their pig headed approach to the hand that feeds them, may they all rot in heck.

sexualbanana
09-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
I had a freind who worked for CBS records and later Sony, his position on my copying my music from 1 format to another was theft and that I should repurchase the music.

It's not illegal to make copies of it as long as you already own it.

4wheeldrift
09-10-2003, 09:36 PM

It's not illegal to make copies of it as long as you already own it. Only in the states. Canadian copyright law has no "fair use" clause.

Ichigo
09-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Counter SUE!!!

Freedom of information act was breached..
Or was it the FREEDOM OF PRIVACY ACT..

Still how do they know where you live??
That's why you never put your real names down when you sign up for something..:nut:

szw
09-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo
Counter SUE!!!

That's why you never put your real names down when you sign up for something..:nut:

Lawyers have tried that already..didn't work.

Ichigo
09-10-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by szw

Lawyers have tried that already..didn't work.

They're welcome to come and try to sue me (not that I have anything illegal or anything).. I'll find a way to counter sooo hard it'll put a huge dent in everybody's pocket..
The only way to get your point across is to take the other party's money..:guns:

freeeked
09-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Not being a lawyer, I wonder if you leech if you can still be sued (i.e download only no sharing).

Another thing RIAA can't control is a HD swapping. My friend has a portable 40gb Hard Drive. Just plugs into USB so you can use that kind of bandwidth to share.

I really don't mind paying but I don't want my money going to anyone but the artists. Move music back to artists and out of the hands of the "popstars" and "idols" makers.

Zephyr
09-10-2003, 11:10 PM
IP blockers dont help, I just saw a special on this. According to them the mp3 files have bits of info that lists the user names that have used the material and their ip and other information. When the file is transfered to another computer, the information carries with it. So the RIAA gets the information based on the mp3s they intercept and whoever just so happens to be listed on there...

They are serioulsy over doing this, they are just a bunch of fat greedy white americans that just want money. (sorry if i offended anyone) A suit was also won earlier that they charged too much money for CDs and they said they can sue overseas.

Zephyr
09-10-2003, 11:27 PM
here's an online petition well over 30 thousand already...

http://www.petitiononline.com/riaawar/petition.html

[GaGe]
09-10-2003, 11:32 PM
the radio offers free music too. why don't they sue the radio? lol

yankeefan
09-10-2003, 11:53 PM
haha the sobs pay the radio stations to play their music ;)

403Gemini
09-10-2003, 11:55 PM
shoutcasts (internet radio) has been sued by them... wtf ! whats the different if your doin radio on the net or over radio waves? i dont get it!

Zephyr
09-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
shoutcasts (internet radio) has been sued by them... wtf ! whats the different if your doin radio on the net or over radio waves? i dont get it!

shoutcast is owned by nullsoft, who is owned by America Online and Time Warner....wow that is a big boxing match..

kenny
09-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Radio stations pay big $ to have the right to distribute music over the airwaves. You as a personal user buying a CD at a store do not have this right.

RiCE-DaDDy
09-11-2003, 12:43 AM
So RIAA is gonna have a lawsuit for every individual that shares??

Doesnt that sound like a waste of time and resources??

kaput
09-11-2003, 12:47 AM

403Gemini
09-11-2003, 12:56 AM

let alone a waste of tax money

i cant fathom wtf is wrong with them. So much is wrong in this world (kids dying every day) and they spend money doing this? wtf is up wit em!

totally brain dead! :banghead:

AquamosH
09-11-2003, 10:07 AM
Haha, David Bowie commented last night on the subject saying that there's something terribly wrong with the RIAA if they are suing their own customers.

4wheeldrift
09-12-2003, 05:32 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/12/music.online.reut/index.html interesting development

spyderman
09-12-2003, 05:48 PM

They do this to set an example and draw fear into other users..

I think it's been pretty effective. Look at all the attention it's getting and a lot of people have stopped downloading music...for now, anyway.

403Gemini
09-13-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/12/music.online.reut/index.html interesting development

is the girl in that pic 12?! god damn what are they putting in the water... lol crazy jr high / high school girls *shakes head* damn jail bait lol

girlRACER
09-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by spyderman

They do this to set an example and draw fear into other users..

I think it's been pretty effective. Look at all the attention it's getting and a lot of people have stopped downloading music...for now, anyway.

"Traffic has remained steady on peer-to-peer networks since the lawsuits were filed, officials at the networks said."

nickopolis
09-27-2003, 04:57 PM

403Gemini
09-29-2003, 02:07 AM
make GTS jeff happy :D

Super_Geo
09-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

I'm getting an error. Is that the right site?

403Gemini
09-29-2003, 02:55 PM
its no longer there, was there like 2 months ago

-APEX-
10-11-2003, 06:39 PM
yea no worries in canada were safe from people craking down on dowloading off kazaa and they watch out for people with more than 1000 files they have a better chance of getting caught compared to some one with 23 files and if a canadian gets caught they jus get a warning and all the music files of w/e may be erased

Ladiistar
10-15-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo
Counter SUE!!!

Through your IP addy....still it is bullshit that at first they allow Websites like Kazaa and others to run for a couple of years and then the bastards get even more greedy and 'sue' our free ass's for the sake of 'copy righting'...BULL :thumbsdow

:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

HTN SWCHS
10-20-2003, 11:13 AM
like kid rock said "instead of making 10 million i make 2 million" boo hoo

they still make more money than they have time to spend on their "600 benz, 20 inch rims and their house on the hills"
this is all bullshit no judge in their right mind is gonna be on the side of the music people

w3apon
10-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Copyright laws are completely different in Canada, RIAA cannot do anything up here, only US.

civic_stylez
10-20-2003, 05:47 PM
yeah these artists are cryin about how their "loosing" money... i watch MTV CRIBS and these people arent suffering for shit!!! they should feel bad that poor joe consumer who makes 5.50 an hour has to pay 20$ for a cd with 2 good songs on it. lower cd to about 7$, then ill stop downloading.

jdmmavericktR
10-20-2003, 06:06 PM
You're never 100% safe with IP blockers. All it takes is time if somebody wants to find out your IP. They only make it harder. Also, copyright infringement is not a crime in the U.S. it's a civil matter. People who get the FBI knocking on their door are violating interstate commerce statutes or the like when they copy music and sell it without a license to do so. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to write a letter to the RIAA informing them that their Kazaa is down and I can't download my music. :)

I also wish I had gotten the idea to charge for peer to peer client usage...genius...pure genius...