PDA

View Full Version : G6 in. Grand Am out.

Gripenfelter
09-10-2003, 08:08 AM
"G6" Chosen As Name For Pontiac's New Midsize Car

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/6515_image.jpg

LAS VEGAS - Pontiac's all-new entry in the midsize car segment for 2005 will be called G6, Pontiac told its dealers here today in a meeting.

"G6 is truly a 21st Century Pontiac," said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager. "It is so new and different from the Grand Am that it demands a name that is equally new. G6 will introduce Pontiac to those who haven't considered us before and more than thrill current owners."

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/2003/naias/pontiac.g6/pontiac.g6.int.500.jpg

G6 shares GM's all-new global Epsilon front-wheel drive architecture with the Saab 9-3, Opel and Vauxhall Vectra, and Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu Maxx.

"G6 is first and foremost a Pontiac," Myers said, "with contemporary, athletic styling, outstanding performance and a level of interior refinement typically found in more expensive cars. G6 delivers on all counts. It's a car people will want to drive and be seen in."

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/2003/naias/pontiac.g6/pontiac.g6.r34.500.jpg

G6 is named for Pontiac's midsize concept car that was unveiled at the 2003 North American International Auto Show in Detroit and that inspired the production car's design and intent. The "6" refers to the high performance V6 engine that was featured in the concept car. A version of that engine will be available in the production model.

The G6 sport sedan will be introduced at the North American International Auto Show in January 2004. Sedan production will begin in the summer of 2004 at GM's Orion Township (Mich.) assembly plant. Coupe and convertible models will follow.

Pontiac also announced the name of its new crossover sport van, the Montana SV6. The Montana SV6 will feature new SUV-like design, interior refinements and an array of features. Current owners have valued the Montana for its unique sporty appearance and versatility - qualities enhanced even further by the new look and features of the SV6, which stands for Sport Van with a V6 engine. The Montana SV6 will be unveiled in early 2004 with production scheduled to begin later that year.

TalonVelocity
09-10-2003, 11:42 AM
i like it alot!!

Beastly Power
09-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Nice:drool:

Weapon_R
09-10-2003, 02:17 PM
wow

quiksilver
09-10-2003, 02:28 PM
nice

yankeefan
09-10-2003, 02:50 PM
if I didnt read the article and just looked at the pics...id never think gm would put it in production. very nice though

Gripenfelter
09-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Its really interesting to see that basically NONE of the domestic crowd on other boards likes this design but all the import guys so far do.

hjr
09-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Hey, as long as its relieable and has at least some resale, then go for it GM. Ohh ya, it looks better too. Also, domestic boards are full of folk who lost and are still angry about it. Import style won, crappy domestic style didnt. OH well.

rice_eater
09-10-2003, 05:51 PM
VERY VERY nice

pinoyhero
09-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Very nice looking ride. Pontiac will have to keep coming out with models like these to keep up with imports.

yankeefan
09-10-2003, 07:57 PM
gm is the big dog on the block. the other companys have to keep up with them;) like em or not they set the standard for a long time and they made it so all of the cars produced now are better because of them

hjr
09-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by yankeefan
gm is the big dog on the block. the other companys have to keep up with them;) like em or not they set the standard for a long time and they made it so all of the cars produced now are better because of them ya, about 25 years ago they set the standard. since then they have been trying to keep up. I have respect for GM, but it ends in about 1975, and has yet to resurge (expept for the Z06).

yankeefan
09-10-2003, 08:22 PM
every car on the road today is better because of the corvette. and im not knocking the other automakers. just giveing respect where its due. ill prolly never own a vette. not my thang. but im glad they are around. sports cars used to drive like trucks. then the vette started driveing like a town car. no other car has had the impact of the corvette. <just one mans opinion>.

and they sure do sell an awful lot cars for just trying to keep up. ;) hah I agree the quality was bad late 70's and in the 80's but the late 70's and 80's wasnt a bright spot for the auto manufacturers accross the board not just gm.

kaput
09-10-2003, 08:52 PM

Dj_Stylz
09-10-2003, 09:03 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ACS-e36
09-11-2003, 02:05 AM
that arm rest thingy in the middle is a penis

Wildcat
09-11-2003, 02:12 AM
SV6? bahh... needs an LS6! actually i bet a performance model would probly have one...

anywayz i think its HOT :thumbsup:

spyderman
09-11-2003, 09:20 AM
every car on the road today is better because of the corvette. and im not knocking the other automakers. just giveing respect where its due. ill prolly never own a vette. not my thang. but im glad they are around. sports cars used to drive like trucks. then the vette started driveing like a town car. no other car has had the impact of the corvette. &lt;just one mans opinion&gt;.

I thought it was the NSX that revolutionized the sports car industry...:dunno:

Wildcat
09-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by spyderman
I thought it was the NSX that revolutionized the sports car industry...:dunno:

that was worth a chuckle..

spyderman
09-11-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

that was worth a chuckle..

Just curious, in your opinion, which sports car has made other companies reconsider their strategy?

I also found some quotes from automotive mags and web sites that you may find interesting....

1) When the history of cars in the Nineties is written , the car that deserves the biggest chapter is the mid-engine, two-seat Acura NSX. Not because it sold in the biggest numbers, had the most power, was the quickest or handled better than any other during the decade, but because it set the standard of excellence to which every other car was eventually compared.

2) Honda's luxury division basically broke the sports-car rules with the NSX. For a high performance "exotic," the NSX is extremely refined, reliable, and at least modestly practical. Acura's sports car offers a unique combination of race-car engineering, performance, and looks, along with its pragmatic virtues. Not only is this 2-seater extremely fast, but it's also smooth, surprisingly quiet, and easier to drive than most high-performance cars.

3) In late 1990, the exotic Acura NSX sport coupe arrived to great fanfare, bringing a host of new technologies to the automotive world. Motor Trend called it the "best sports car ever built." The aluminum bodied, mid-engine supercar redefined the exotic sports car. Here was a two-seater with the performance potential of traditional European exotics but could also be driven every day in complete comfort and with utter reliability.

4) Introduced way back in 1991, the NSX was designed to blend aluminum construction with the supreme balance of a midmounted engine in a package that was as comfortable to drive as any other member of the Acura lineup. The design was striking and the performance exemplary but with only minor changes since then, the NSX is no longer the world beater it once was.

More Articles (http://www.nsx.net/ref/reference.html)

NickGT
09-11-2003, 02:06 PM
not a fan of the styling. looks like an accord to me with some differences. I like the wheels :D

403Gemini
09-11-2003, 02:08 PM
id buy one... easily

there a 2 door model?

yankeefan
09-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by FoxLX
not a fan of the styling. looks like an accord coupe to me with some differences. I like the wheels :D

haha yeah doubt the car will be coming out with dubs. wonder how its gunna look with smaller wheels.

NickGT
09-11-2003, 03:04 PM

haha yeah doubt the car will be coming out with dubs. wonder how its gunna look with smaller wheels.

Probably like all of the other new 4 door cars around... wont be noticed much unless its got some power under the hood... When will we see some new styling I wonder. Sooner or later everythings gonna look like an import, then what choice do people have...

-edit-

Interior Styling is nice on the car.

92 Teg-B18A
09-11-2003, 04:30 PM
back looks alright but the front is :thumbsdow

Wildcat
09-11-2003, 04:34 PM

Just curious, in your opinion, which sports car has made other companies reconsider their strategy?

I also found some quotes from automotive mags and web sites that you may find interesting....

1) When the history of cars in the Nineties is written , the car that deserves the biggest chapter is the mid-engine, two-seat Acura NSX. Not because it sold in the biggest numbers, had the most power, was the quickest or handled better than any other during the decade, but because it set the standard of excellence to which every other car was eventually compared.

2) Honda's luxury division basically broke the sports-car rules with the NSX. For a high performance &quot;exotic,&quot; the NSX is extremely refined, reliable, and at least modestly practical. Acura's sports car offers a unique combination of race-car engineering, performance, and looks, along with its pragmatic virtues. Not only is this 2-seater extremely fast, but it's also smooth, surprisingly quiet, and easier to drive than most high-performance cars.

3) In late 1990, the exotic Acura NSX sport coupe arrived to great fanfare, bringing a host of new technologies to the automotive world. Motor Trend called it the &quot;best sports car ever built.&quot; The aluminum bodied, mid-engine supercar redefined the exotic sports car. Here was a two-seater with the performance potential of traditional European exotics but could also be driven every day in complete comfort and with utter reliability.

4) Introduced way back in 1991, the NSX was designed to blend aluminum construction with the supreme balance of a midmounted engine in a package that was as comfortable to drive as any other member of the Acura lineup. The design was striking and the performance exemplary but with only minor changes since then, the NSX is no longer the world beater it once was.

More Articles (http://www.nsx.net/ref/reference.html)

that must explain its amazing world track records.... howd it do in le mans? oh wait... :rolleyes:

i know you guys love your hondas so dont take it too personally... i have my opinions and likes/dislikes and you have yours

VinE
09-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Wow.. looks european.. Nice....

spyderman
09-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

that must explain its amazing world track records.... howd it do in le mans? oh wait... :rolleyes:

i know you guys love your hondas so dont take it too personally... i have my opinions and likes/dislikes and you have yours

Wow, those are really good arguments.... :rolleyes: Then when you got nothing, use the old "You like Honda" line when you got nothing good to back up your stupid remarks....

By the way, I'm not a big Honda lover - I don't even drive a honda - I'm pretty unbiased when it comes to cars... I like to read about cars, and over the years, what I constanly notice about the NSX is how people talk about it changing the way sports cars are percieved.

You still haven't answered my question. I'm really looking forward to seeing what car you think helped changed the sports car industry, and it'll be nice to see some info that will back up it too.

yankeefan
09-11-2003, 07:17 PM
You still haven't answered my question. I'm really looking forward to seeing what car you think helped changed the sports car industry, and it'll be nice to see some info that will back up it too.

from enzo to fiat.............................ferrari. whether it be the californias of the 50's or the daytonas of the 60s....the f40 of the late 80s or the f50. ferrari is a class of its own.

Chevrolet with corvette debuting early 50's to the stingrays of the mid 60's to the zo6's of today

ford had the shelby cobras 427s in the 60's... which alot of manufacturers looked too cause it was stylin. then ford stopped making sports cars. is when they started the stang. still had lemans cars gt40(european engineered) and such. can even go back to the mid 50s and the thunderbird

can definately throw porsche in there with the 356 or the 911 into the 90s with the 944 and boxters.

guess my point is alot of cars went into changeing the sports car industry. now you wanna argue the NSX is the creme of the crop of the early 90s I guess you can make that arguement. but I dunno what they did to change the sports car industry.

I mean 280hp at 80grand isnt exactly setting the world on fire. great cars nonetheless. but there is other cars that had more of an impact then the NSX. I mean the 3rd gen rx-7s were 38ish new and they performed really well(nicked by guiness 'most popular sports car ever'). to each his own really. every car I named is pretty special. and many that I missed.

Wildcat
09-12-2003, 02:46 PM

Wow, those are really good arguments.... :rolleyes: Then when you got nothing, use the old &quot;You like Honda&quot; line when you got nothing good to back up your stupid remarks....

By the way, I'm not a big Honda lover - I don't even drive a honda - I'm pretty unbiased when it comes to cars... I like to read about cars, and over the years, what I constanly notice about the NSX is how people talk about it changing the way sports cars are percieved.

I mean 280hp at 80grand isnt exactly setting the world on fire. great cars nonetheless. but there is other cars that had more of an impact then the NSX. I mean the 3rd gen rx-7s were 38ish new and they performed really well(nicked by guiness 'most popular sports car ever'). to each his own really. every car I named is pretty special. and many that I missed.

EXACTLY,

Btw, to answer your question here's how the 2 two C5-R corvettes finished in the last 8 events..

http://www.corvetteracing.com/home/home_set.htm

This car has been around for 50 years.. of course its changed the sports car industry and IMO it is the best platform money can buy

i guess you can argue that the NSX is a good platform as well with alot of years under its belt.. :rolleyes: