PDA

View Full Version : Review: Vero Bistro Moderne

dj_honda
08-31-2008, 08:26 PM
Was walking around Kensington with the gf looking for a place to eat lunch today, and came across this place. Apparently its only been open a month.

Ambiance/Atmosphere: 10/10

The place is small but super clean and really trendy. Everything from the chairs, to the decor to the salt shakers are trendy. They even have this crazy motorized pepper mill that the server was pretty happy showing off haha.

Food (quality, portions, presentation): 9/10

We had a lobster bisque to start and shared between 2 people. We both enjoyed it and it was a bit bigger in size for an appetizer if not shared.

I had the steak sandwich for lunch and it was pretty good. The steak was pretty big, cooked perfectly and it has an AMAZING butter sauce.

The gf had the pesto chicken breast with vegetables and she liked it as well.

Had the mango cheesecake for dessert and it is super good. Apparently its made in house and it was perfect. The fruits are all fresh, and it has this cocunut ice cream with it. I don't know how else to describe it haha. Just super tasty

Service: 9/10
The service was pretty good considering we were the only people in there at first. Another couple came in after. So it wasn't hard for the server to keep up. Only reason its not a 10 is because the food took a little bit long, I forget why, but the server kept us updated which was good.

Apparently its open extra late (2am ish) as well.

Pricing: 9/10
At first I thought the pricing was a bit off, but considering the portions, the sauces and the attention to detail I thought it was good.

Overall: 10/10
I will be eating there again for sure.

hks
08-31-2008, 09:07 PM
is this the restaurant on the corner?

zain123
09-01-2008, 12:35 AM
ye where exactly in kensington
i wanna give it a try soon

dj_honda
09-01-2008, 01:18 AM
oh sorry guys. its on 10 Street NW right across the street from american apparel. i think the gelato place is beside it. i couldn't find a website yet.

psycoticclown
11-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Bump to this thread. I usually don't really go fine dining but this place seemed as cheap as the usual Moxies or Joeys, but more fine dining.

Went there last sunday for their 3 course lunch special. Best deal in the city, hands down. $15 for a 3 course lunch, entree at most places like Moxies and Joeys runs you $15 almost. Food there was amazing. We got some croutons with smoked salmon and greens on them for our appetizers, a red coconut curry pasta with mussels and clams for the entree and a orange sorbet with honeydew and some kinda biscuit thingy. My brother got the Orange Roughy Parmigiana. Appetizer was small, but fantastic, the entree for me 10/10. The seafood was fresh, the sauce was creamy and very tasty and I was surprised how many mussels and clams there were for the price, easily got 10 of each. Dessert was good too, a little small again, but very good. My brother's entree was very fresh, the fish was really good he said, the baby spinach salad it came with was good, and he hates salad and the mashed potatoes were perfect. The food was all presented really nice. Everything looked like it came straight out of some magazine.

This place was great, DJ_honda already described the interior which I thought was very very nice. Only thing that put me off was their exterior, kinda run down, definitely not expecting some place that nice inside.

Best value for your money for lunch in the city imo.

npham
11-29-2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.verobistro.ca/

Looks like another place to try out. Too bad I'm no where near this place during the week to try the 3 course lunch menu.

Was it a set 3 course menu? Or was it a choice of one or two items per course?

Majestic12
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah this place is great. Plenty of TLC put into the place by the chef/owner, who is a good friend of my cousin's.

That.Guy.S30
12-15-2009, 09:57 PM
i was there for dinner a few months ago. the food was great and our server was amazing. its nice to have alternatives like this

max_boost
05-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Bump. They are on Groupon for another day. Very excited to give this place a try. 89% on urbanspoon with over 300 votes! :drool:

max_boost
05-25-2011, 01:52 PM
So I went there last night, ordered beet salad, lobster bisque, seafood platter for two and the mango cheescake for dessert.

Bill came to $185+tip. A little pricey for a Tuesday night, no special occasion dinner haha but everything was delicious. Everything just seem to fit well with the decor. It is very nice inside. They had a pianist/singer every Tuesday from 6-9pm so that was a nice touch. Service was spot on and overall made for a very satisfying dinner.

Highly recommended!

9.5/10

:D

sputnik
05-25-2011, 02:01 PM
That spot seems to be cursed.

Hopefully this restaurant sticks.

kaput
05-25-2011, 02:09 PM

legendboy
05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
The dinner menu looks amazing, i really want to try this place