PDA

View Full Version : Fido - Why?

08-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Being that fido is owned by rogers, yet the phones still wont work with the opposing sim card.

Why does fido have such a bunk selection of phones to choose from?

fido is supposed to be marketed towards the younger/trendy crowd and from what i can see right now, the only "new" er" phone they have is the iPhone.

Where are all the cool slide out qwerty keyboard phones, or the new higher-end ericssons, or any good smartphones for that matter. ( every carrier has a blackberry, even virgin.. why doesnt fido have even the pearl?) ((other than the motorolla jack, which is kinda lame))

You cant even really put an unlocked blackberry on fido, as the data wouldnt work (as far as i know).

Discuss.

(side note: this slight rant is coming from the GF, as i just picked up a curve and she wants a qwerty phone that isnt the crap fido has. ~1.5 yr remaining on contract before switch to new carrier)

TYMSMNY
08-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, it's kind of like saying how come VWs don't use the same engines as the Porsches.

Anyways, I think FIDOs whole marketing policy is to keep it simple. Leave all the fancy big data power phones to Rogers and FIDO can be the one that attracts the people that just... want a phone.

I haven't personally used a FIDO phone before as I find their selection, just like yourself, a bit limited.

I know Koodo runs on the Telus networks... but is it owned by them as well?

roopi
08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

I know Koodo runs on the Telus networks... but is it owned by them as well?

Yes it is owned by Telus.

roopi
08-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by 410440

You cant even really put an unlocked blackberry on fido, as the data wouldnt work (as far as i know).

Fido used to offer a Blackberry plan however it was discontinued sometime in July/August. Rumour has it that they will be coming out with a new Blackberry plan (and I assume a Blackberry phone) in the near future. Not sure how much truth is behind it though.

kenny
08-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Its just business. Rogers is in it for the money so they want as many people as possible to sign contracts under the Rogers brand where they make more money.

If you really want a fancy phone, buy an unlocked one and plug in a fido sim card. Check with OmegaCell to see what they can get for you.

beyondmike
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Fido rocks...(with an unlocked phone...agreed, their phones are not very good)

Cheaper plans(in general) than Rogers
E/W start earlier(for most plans)
Per second billing
Fido dollars towards a new handset(I got a free iphone!)
Same service/towers as Rogers

Oh, and you can run Blackberry's on Fido's network as I am currently on an unlocked Bold with one.

spikerS
09-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Fido is Rogers budget brand. Just like Koodo is the budget brand for Telus. both are designed to be no frills and following the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) mentality.

If you are on Fido or Koodo, and want more, the idea is to spend a bit more, get better phones and better customer service and more frills and all that jazz, by moving to the parent company.

Neil4Speed
09-03-2008, 08:08 AM
If your really worried about the phone, why don't you buy it unlocked online?

benyl
09-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by 410440

(side note: this slight rant is coming from the GF, as i just picked up a curve and she wants a qwerty phone that isnt the crap fido has. ~1.5 yr remaining on contract before switch to new carrier)

I believe she can switch to Rogers without paying an ECF. That might be your best option.

09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I believe she can switch to Rogers without paying an ECF. That might be your best option.

explain? .. this is what she wants but has been told to pay the early cancel fee?