PDA

View Full Version : More Power for my car....

voicezwithin
09-01-2008, 11:19 AM
i have a 1991 Legend coupe, swapped the engine from a type 1 to a Type 2 from japan. I have Obx headers and manifold, Injen cold air intake, and aftermarket 4'' exhaust tip. now id like to know what things i can do to give this baby more horses, this is my for fun car so im just working on it, im not too familiar with alot of things but help me out guys :thumbsup:

sr20s14zenki
09-01-2008, 11:23 AM
supercharge it, turbocharge it, nitrous if you just want it in bursts. Those are your options where you stand right now IMHO.

TurboD
09-01-2008, 11:24 AM
post what your hp goals are

i have no idea what you wanna do with your car to make it go faster so im gonna suggest you pump it full of nitrous until it feels fast enough.

voicezwithin
09-01-2008, 11:35 AM
well i already know about turbos and superchargers and dont really wanna NoS it, but those options are hard to do arent they? are there any other less extreme options?

badatusrnames
09-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Buy a new car then?

voicezwithin
09-01-2008, 12:04 PM
umm no, if we all bought new cars then no car would be worth it at all, we'd all end up with ferraris and lambos so yeah help out guys..

88jbody
09-01-2008, 12:07 PM
well other then exhaust and intake.

the only other things are forced induction or
internal engine work + head porting ect...

1.buy a turbo kit
2. ???
3. profit

badatusrnames
09-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by voicezwithin
umm no, if we all bought new cars then no car would be worth it at all, we'd all end up with ferraris and lambos so yeah help out guys..

I meant more along the lines of getting a better platform to modify...

Team_Mclaren
09-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

I meant more along the lines of getting a better platform to modify...

exactly. If you want to go fast, you've picked the wrong car.

Accord_tunerx
09-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

exactly. If you want to go fast, you've picked the wrong car.

yeah, get a different car those legends even the coupes they are liek boats.

theken
09-01-2008, 01:03 PM
gut it, turbo it, tune it, run race gas, change gearing for more acceleration, buy some stickers

Supa Dexta
09-01-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.turbonator.com/

Mr_ET
09-04-2008, 01:56 PM

Did you just say NOS it?

in that case those Ferraris are more than you can afford pal!

bspot
09-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Bigger exhaust tip.

A 4" tip won't flow freely enough for that large displacement engine.

brandon
09-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Bigger exhaust tip.

A 4" tip won't flow freely enough for that large displacement engine.

+1

ACURA44
09-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Why dont you get a high flow exhaust, muffler and cat. just the tip wont help, you need to match flow with the header and tip=-=

dblpostwhore
09-04-2008, 03:45 PM
from the simple BPU mods you've done you cant really do much other then maybe a different final ratio and smaller wheels for acceleration.

cars are not linear they are exponetial... you hit a point when hp/$ ratio goes up, you either pay up or shut up. kind of time to choose for you.

zipdoa
09-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Please get a quieter exhaust.

sr20s14zenki
09-24-2008, 08:28 PM
^^^good thing legends arent 4 cyls eh

Neil4Speed
09-24-2008, 08:57 PM
i have a 1991 Legend coupe, swapped the engine from a type 1 to a Type 2 from japan. I have Obx headers and manifold, Injen cold air intake, and aftermarket 4'' exhaust tip. now id like to know what things i can do to give this baby more horses, this is my for fun car so im just working on it, im not too familiar with alot of things but help me out guys :thumbsup:

Well if you want to go fast, you picked the wrong car as everyone else said. Sure when R&T clocked it at 0-60 at 6.7 seconds, and was the fastest front wheel drive car out there, however, its been quite a while.

Unfortunately after market support really lagged along.

What I would recommend is a Telion Chip or a SR5 chip from the Acura Legend forums. thats the only thing really that I can think of. Oh yeah, exhaust and a high flow cat might help you out.

Thats about it, but don't fret, you have a really nice cruiser, and something unique - there arnt too many coupes around.

If you are serious (and have a mental imbalance) about absolute performance and while set on making your legend a fast car, then consider stripping seats (they are fucking heavy), installing a race seat, stripping out the trunk, lightweight alloys, and NOS and the rest of that madness.

flipstah
09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Sorry to steal the OP's thread but I too am interested in this but in a 2004 Outlander. What are some things I can do to give it some 'oomph.'

I'm not looking to go super, turbo charged and stuff. Just looking to get more power to overtake on highways. During the Beyond cruise, the car felt strained or choked of power. It has the torque (third gear got me some great acceleration but could be more and it was mostly redlining) but climbing to top speed feels like the car is struggling.

Yes, I realize the Outlander is not meant for street performance and that's why I just need a little power to go uphill without struggling like crazy.

Thanks!

mazda_maniac
09-29-2008, 01:16 AM
chip it

voicezwithin
10-02-2008, 09:53 PM
thanx neil, u got a coupe as well right? well we gotta meet up and have a meet lol. yeah well i was thinking of a carbo fiber hood but they get ugly after a while... yeah weight reduction sounds fine...

mark4091
10-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Sorry to steal the OP's thread but I too am interested in this but in a 2004 Outlander. What are some things I can do to give it some 'oomph.'

I'm not looking to go super, turbo charged and stuff. Just looking to get more power to overtake on highways. During the Beyond cruise, the car felt strained or choked of power. It has the torque (third gear got me some great acceleration but could be more and it was mostly redlining) but climbing to top speed feels like the car is struggling.

Yes, I realize the Outlander is not meant for street performance and that's why I just need a little power to go uphill without struggling like crazy.

Thanks!

Try a cold air intake, whick are really easy to install, and try exhaust.

You can get a tuner too, but google which ones work best with your particular vehicle.

flipstah
10-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by mark4091

Try a cold air intake, whick are really easy to install, and try exhaust.

You can get a tuner too, but google which ones work best with your particular vehicle.

Thanks a lot good sir!

Yay! Time to research. I wanna see if eBay will save me in the long run because it seems cheap to get parts there but let's see if shipping will eliminate that savings.

Also, what do you mean by 'tuner'?

Eleanor
10-03-2008, 12:34 PM
^ he means an ECU tune. I think you should hit up some outlander forums before you do anything to it though.

CAI, header & exhaust will wake it up a bit. And you probably want to avoid ebay.

flipstah
10-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
^ he means an ECU tune. I think you should hit up some outlander forums before you do anything to it though.

CAI, header & exhaust will wake it up a bit. And you probably want to avoid ebay.

I've hit up Mitsubishi Forums and Mitsunation but none have been of any help to me whatsoever.

Headers will be tricky because the connection from the header to the exhaust needs to be customized. Otherwise, any RalliArt Lancer parts can fit onto the Outlander. Just don't know how as everything is in the wrong spot!

Can't even put a front sway bar in because the brake fluid reservoir is in the way.

I think intake and exhaust are the best options for me so far.

voicezwithin
10-03-2008, 09:35 PM
well yeah i did an exhaust and header + manifolds and a cold air intake so all of these helped alot, Ecu chip for my car any suggestions? Also whats a tuner.... i cant find much about them. do you mean a good tune up or the ECU chip?

Toms-SC
10-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Have you considered Altezza's?

badatusrnames
10-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Have you considered Altezza's?

+1

Smilez
10-04-2008, 12:33 PM
DONT CHIP YOUR CAR
get it properly tuned!
also id learn more about how a 4 stroke internal combustion engine works more before you start boosting your legend yo!

or since you already know how to swap engines k20 it!

flipstah
10-04-2008, 12:54 PM
If I happen to do these mods, this would void my engine warranty with Mitsubishi (10 year/100k) right?

:thumbsdow

Moe Man
10-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Well if you want to go fast, you picked the wrong car as everyone else said. Sure when R&T clocked it at 0-60 at 6.7 seconds, and was the fastest front wheel drive car out there, however, its been quite a while.

ummm i dont think it beat the STS for the fastest FWD.
unless they are talking V6 only

badatusrnames
10-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

I think that was at that time - before the STS.

Team_Mclaren
10-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Smilez
DONT CHIP YOUR CAR
get it properly tuned!
also id learn more about how a 4 stroke internal combustion engine works more before you start boosting your legend yo!

or since you already know how to swap engines k20 it!

Those chips are good base maps for the legend, sure a tune would probably do more but that cost a fuck load more.
Yes... swap in a K20... im sure its a direct dropin... and the 152 lb/ft of torque will move the billion kg monster nicely...

Originally posted by flipstah
If I happen to do these mods, this would void my engine warranty with Mitsubishi (10 year/100k) right?

:thumbsdow

for the love of god please dont mod your outlander.

badatusrnames
10-04-2008, 05:05 PM
for the love of god please dont mod your outlander.

Agreed. I've never understood the logic of pouring money into a mediocre car to make it good, when the same or (likely) less could have been spent just purchasing a better platform in the first place with initial performance equivalent to your final product.

flipstah
10-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Agreed. I've never understood the logic of pouring money into a mediocre car to make it good, when the same or (likely) less could have been spent just purchasing a better platform in the first place with initial performance equivalent to your final product.

I'm not gonna tinker around the Outlander and leave it at that. It has been good to me I don't want to replace it. I just wanted input if it's possible to add 'oomph' and if it's worth the time and money.

:closed:

Neil4Speed
10-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man

Yes, it was before the STS came out, how fast was the STS 0-60 anyways, out of curiosity - I always liked the styling on those cars.

But yeah, as Team Mclaren stated, the SR5 and Teilion Chips have been found to give very positive results, with no problems so far - they have been around for ~2 years now. Only problem is that you need to send in your original ECU, but overall bang for buck its a great bet, it will probably run you only ~200.

Yes... swap in a K20... im sure its a direct dropin... and the 152 lb/ft of torque will move the billion kg monster nicely...

:rofl: :thumbsup: