PDA

View Full Version : Warning to everybody looking at Vonage VoIP!

97'Scort
09-01-2008, 07:48 PM
When I moved out to Victoria in June, one of my first moves was to purchase VoIP service from Vonage Canada. I got their little USB stick phone, which is easily used on any computer with a USB interface with no setup, just plug in and go.

One of my key things was I was going to transfer my old 780 cell phone number over to the Vonage service, as I use it for my DJ company and still have clients in Edmonton, not to mention friends and family that knew it. Upon sign up, I called them and had them start the number transfer process. That was July 5.

For the first few weeks, the thing worked perfectly, albiet with a "virtual number" since they expected a 10 day delay in the number transfer. No worries, I was pretty happy so far.

Then a few things happened. Vonage contacted me on July 27 to ask for my PIN and account number with Virgin Mobile, my cell phone provider. I asked what was taking so long and they ignored me, saying that it would take as long as it takes. I explained to them how I used to sell and activate phones for a living, for 3 years in college, and that we could transfer numbers in a matter of hours. What the fuck is taking so long?

At this point, too, the signal quality starts to degrade significantly. I blame Shaw for throttling our download speeds, but it turns out this is not the case. What's going on?

To explain my frustration, I can make local calls on my cell here, but people dialing me have to call long distance. My clients back home ALSO have to call long distance. When I call them back I have to call long distance. This is starting to cost me money to the tune of $40/week cell phone charges, which is hard for a student to keep up.

Another month goes by and, despite repeated calls to Vonage, I'm no further along. Then, on Friday, I get an e-mail from them saying the transfer has been aborted since that number is no longer in service:

We received your request to transfer 1-(780)-xxx-xxxx to Vonage. Unfortunately, an issue has come up with your current phone company that needs to be addressed before we can proceed with your number transfer process.

Your current phone company informed us that the phone number you requested to transfer has been disconnected. To transfer your number to Vonage, a number must be active with your current phone company.
This is amusing, so I call them with my supposedly cancelled phone and get in a lovely screaming match with their "manager" on the other end. He's saying my number is disconnected and I'm saying I'm calling him with it and he's got his head so far up his ass that my voice is obviously not getting to him.

As of today, I can't even use the thing because nobody on the other end can hear me.

So the lesson here is Vonage has zero customer service, doesn't perform their job and takes an exceedingly large amount of time to dick around with you first.

I'm cancelling my service and demanding money back. I've decided to look at VoIPGo, one of the others who offers a softphone service, for a LOT less money.

Hopefully those of you who read this will make the wise choice and avoid Vonage in the first place.

97'Scort
09-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh yes: I'll also add that the USB softphone doesn't work with Vista unless you do a very complicated startup process every time you use it.