PDA

View Full Version : Need an Outlook guru

Euro_Trash
09-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Outlook is driving me nuts. It was working great for a new days after setting up a new email address, but now gives me this message after I send an email:

Task 'pop.telus.net - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I reinstalled Outlook, ran all of the updates, and still no luck. Can anyone PM me with some ideas or help?

Pee_Sack
09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
You didnt recently switch ISP's did you?

You said you changed your email are they both(old and new) [email protected]?

Have you tried putting your old information back into outlook to see if it was an outlook problem or if it was a problem with something else?

eblend
09-01-2008, 08:43 PM
It obviously sounds like something with the ISP, so call them and they will help you out. Don't know why you would think that reinstalling Outlook would fix things up as the message states directly that it may be an ISP error

Euro_Trash
09-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I just set up a telus.net email account a few days ago, and then set up my outlook account at my parents account. Outlook worked fine for a few days, then I just moved up to Edmonton and am using a different wireless connection. I have an internet connection, and can use Telus webmail, but not Outlook. Would the internet connection have anything to do with the problem?

I am pretty useless when it comes to this kind of stuff...

Euro_Trash
09-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Sorry, first thing I did was call Telus, and they told me it was the program and nothing Telus could fix

Mibz
09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Sounds like you have pop.telus.net as both incoming and outgoing instead of smtp.telus.net as outgoing.

Grogador
09-01-2008, 08:56 PM
If your "different wireless connection" isn't Telus, you won't be able to send mail through Telus using Outlook... just use webmail.

Euro_Trash
09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
If your "different wireless connection" isn't Telus, you won't be able to send mail through Telus using Outlook... just use webmail.

OZ pm'd me the same thing. The ISP I am using right now is shaw. Thanks guys

cdnsir
09-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
I just set up a telus.net email account a few days ago, and then set up my outlook account at my parents account.

Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Sorry, first thing I did was call Telus, and they told me it was the program and nothing Telus could fix

Need to clarify a couple of things dude. So first, you said "my outlook account at my parents account.". Are you working on a different computer right now, than the one you had initially setup Outlook on? Second, what steps did TELUS take you thru in order to determine it was the program? Did they go thru all the settings with you?

Here's mine that you can use to verify... Go Tools> Account Settings> Now, Click on the email account u created> Then, Click the Change button

Make sure you got these in there...
Incoming Mail Server: pop.telus.net
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.telus.net
User Name: Use ONLY the begging part of your email (ie don't have @telus.net in there)

Click on More Settings...
Under the Outgoing tab - make sure the "My outgoing server (smtp) require authentication" checkbox is UNCHECKED.
Under the Advanced tab - make sure POP3 is set at 110, and SMTP at 25.

See if that helps, if not, post back dude!

Originally posted by Grogador

WTF!?

Euro_Trash
09-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir

Need to clarify a couple of things dude. So first, you said "my outlook account at my parents account.". Are you working on a different computer right now, than the one you had initially setup Outlook on? Second, what steps did TELUS take you thru in order to determine it was the program? Did they go thru all the settings with you?

WTF!?

Sorry I will make it a little more clear. I set up my telus.net account while at my parents using their Telus internet connection. After that I set up my outlook on my notebook to use telus, and it worked fine at my parents. I am at my condo in Edmonton now, and just over the move my Outlook stopped working. I am on the same notebook and everything, just with a new connection.

2 people have told me now that since I am not using the same ISP (Telus), Outlook wont work. Do you agree?

I checked all of my settings, and they all agree with what you have.

Thanks!

Grogador
09-01-2008, 09:35 PM
(properly configured) SMTP servers don't allow relaying from people on different networks/ISP's. Shaw especially, they block all port 25 outbound to prevent spam.

cdnsir
09-01-2008, 09:42 PM
^^

From the error you got and if you confirmed the settings, then it sounds like the Port 25 that the SMTP is using is being blocked at Shaw's ISP level. If that's the case, there's no easy way around it.

One thing that I can think of is if you're paying for Shaw now, you should be able to get an email from them for free. If you really want to keep your old TELUS address, you can open a new shaw email, then set your TELUS to forward all emails to Shaw's. Or you can just use Shaw's email altogether.

Hope that helps!

Euro_Trash
09-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Perfect guys, thanks for the helpful info

whoatemyling
09-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Just Set the outgoing SMTP server to use Shaw's then.

If they're not so smart they won't require authentication to use the SMTP service.

just set the SMTP server to "Shawmail" and see if it works.

Euro_Trash
09-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by whoatemyling
Just Set the outgoing SMTP server to use Shaw's then.

If they're not so smart they won't require authentication to use the SMTP service.

just set the SMTP server to "Shawmail" and see if it works.

Yep fixed now. Will this get me in trouble?