PDA

View Full Version : Pho Quynh charges for extra beansprouts!

DT83
09-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I was at Pho Quynh just a couple days ago, (not my favorite but I like the atmosphere) anyway, I asked for an extra dish of sprouts and lime and was charged $1.50 for it? Tea was another $1.50?
Is it just me or is this absurd?

adam c
09-02-2008, 03:31 PM
are you crying on the internet because a viet place is trying to make money???

if you don't like it then don't go there
what a concept

benyl
09-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Saigon Y2K by McMahon started charging for tea about a year or two ago. I pretty much stopped going there. Went there a couple of weeks ago and they only give you a spoon if you order soup. I guess that cuts down on their washing costs.

It is funny, restaurant owners think people won't notice their cost cutting measures, but they do. Having owned and operated many restaurants, I notice shit like that all the time.

DT83
09-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by adam c

what a concept

When did I mention crying?
This is a forum for discussion and I was discussing.
Of course, upon my last visit, obviously I would not be going back. Something as evident as that, didn't need to be said out loud. Lol

Shift_Perform
09-02-2008, 03:37 PM

what a concept

douche

Shift_Perform
09-02-2008, 03:38 PM
by the way, this thread gives people heads up not to go there if they want extra bean sprouts or tea LOL

szw
09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Charging for extra bean spouts is lame. Just bring back the unused portions of other peoples leftovers like everybody else.

Originally posted by Shift_Perform

douche

+1

cloud7
09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
I hate places that charge for tea... especially those that never asked you if you want the tea. Thanks for the heads up.

adam c
09-02-2008, 03:52 PM
can't be... i don't own a BMW

sorry

eb0i
09-02-2008, 04:03 PM
can't be... i don't own a BMW

sorry

ahh but you are still a douche, so you broke the mold. :thumbsup:

gkAeris
09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by DT83
I was at Pho Quynh just a couple days ago, (not my favorite but I like the atmosphere) anyway, I asked for an extra dish of sprouts and lime and was charged $1.50 for it? Tea was another $1.50?

did they mention you about the extra charge BEFORE they brought out the sprouts/lime?

i hate that, "suprise" charges, i don't recall them putting on the menu extra $$

frozenrice
09-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I can see a charge for extra sprouts or tea. Lame, but not totally out of hand.

I was at Pho Pasteur once (sp? - across from Harry Hays) and they charged me for a glass of water. It was 30 C outside and I wanted something to cool off with so I asked for a glass of water and end up getting charged 75 cents. Hot tea was free but tap water (it wasn't even really that cold) was chargable. I asked about it and they mater-of-factly responded that it was for the water as if it was non-negotiable. :thumbsdow

rmk
09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
adam c got owned.

SuperG3
09-02-2008, 05:14 PM
I totally see where the op is coming from, especially when you get the same plate of sprouts for 2people as the guy sitting by himself next to you, then get charged for extra sprouts when there isn't enough. I had some wraps last time with 12 pieces of bbq meat and only got 10wraps and most of them rip cuz they stick to each other. $1.00 for extra wraps :dunno:

narou
09-02-2008, 05:18 PM
:P wow sucks to be you.. I get free spring rolls when I go get pho sometimes.. And the sprouts are always to much for me and my friends.

max_boost
09-02-2008, 05:26 PM
That's pretty ghetto. Bean sprouts are so cheap too. $20 and you get a huge box.

Well I charge $1.50 for tea but it's a big pot and unlimited refills! Green/Jasmine/Red Rose etc. and on the customer's request only! haha

I give free water though! lol

Stunt66
09-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
That's pretty ghetto. Bean sprouts are so cheap too. $20 and you get a huge box.

Well I charge $1.50 for tea but it's a big pot and unlimited refills! Green/Jasmine/Red Rose etc. and on the customer's request only! haha

Now we know how you can afford those nice rides. j/k
Charging for tea is understandable but for unbottled water that's a fuckin joke. i've been charged for extra mint leaves before so i'm not surprised about the bean sprouts. I stopped eating sprouts years ago after I found out they reused them. :barf:

cdnsir
09-02-2008, 05:42 PM
This got me thinking, I sometimes actually gets charged for ordering raw beef on the side.

It's not like I'm asking extra beef here. I just I want it served on the side, cuz I don't want the hot soup to overcook it. I think that's way more unreasonable than the spouts and tea charges.

DT83
09-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

did they mention you about the extra charge BEFORE they brought out the sprouts/lime?

i hate that, "suprise" charges, i don't recall them putting on the menu extra $$

No, they didn't. I just find it silly because sprouts and one piece of lime doesn't account for much...Maybe the economy's gone a lot higher than I thought? lol

van
09-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Pho Quynh is the one beside the Sunridge Spectrum right? I think they are already over priced for what they sell and how good the food tastes. I still haven't really found a place that I prefer to go eat at. I usually just go where ever that is convenient to my current location. It's most likely the reason why I don't eat Pho when I go out to Vietnamese restaurants. I just can't shake off the fact that it doesn't taste the same as when you eat at home. Also the fact that at home it's unlimited meat whether it's on the side or not, you can put in as much lime and bean sprouts as you wish too. lol

dj_rice
09-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by defekt1
Pho Quynh is the one beside the Sunridge Spectrum right? I think they are already over priced for what they sell and how good the food tastes. I still haven't really found a place that I prefer to go eat at. I usually just go where ever that is convenient to my current location. It's most likely the reason why I don't eat Pho when I go out to Vietnamese restaurants. I just can't shake off the fact that it doesn't taste the same as when you eat at home. Also the fact that at home it's unlimited meat whether it's on the side or not, you can put in as much lime and bean sprouts as you wish too. lol

Word, moms home made is best :rofl: :rofl: unlimited meat/sauces/noodles/broth

dizzle
09-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by DT83
i agree with adam c. they gotta make money mang.

diamondedge
09-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Word, moms home made is best :rofl: :rofl: unlimited meat/sauces/noodles/broth

mmmmmmmmm unlimited bo vien

narou
09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
ghetto looking places on center are the best.. I think I may go after my exam this afternoon :P

anarchy
09-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by cdnsir
This got me thinking, I sometimes actually gets charged for ordering raw beef on the side.

It's not like I'm asking extra beef here. I just I want it served on the side, cuz I don't want the hot soup to overcook it. I think that's way more unreasonable than the spouts and tea charges.

I think some of the places don't allow this anymore because they got in trouble by the health inspector.

But do what I do and just order the beef raw and when they bring it out, just take out the beef and put it on one of the little sauce dishes before the soup cooks it. That'll save you some $ too (never heard of a place charging for that).

But I think its BS they charge for extra sprouts lol. Pho Quynh sucks anyways.

narou
09-03-2008, 11:30 AM
there probably only in business becuase of there location.. But seriosly I never got charged for cold water there... Unbelievable, I think I might go elsewhere next time

sputnik
09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
unrelated... but how do you pronounce "Quynh"?

DT83
09-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

It's pronounced 'quinn' with a low emphasis towards the inn.

yoda124
09-03-2008, 02:36 PM
charging $1.50 extra ain't bad...just give them $1.50 less tip.BTW it ain't as bad as Taurus vietnamese restaurant in Country hills.
They cost save by watering down the hoison sauce and hot sauce.:guns:

JfuckinC
09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
hmm i ate there monday.
i dont mind that place, but im white lol

yoda124
09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
hmm i ate there monday.
i dont mind that place, but im white lol

I like to eat pho with plenty of hoison sauce in the small dish I use for dipping.It was disgusting with watered down runny sauce.No taste.I did not tip and will not eat there again.

RedStealth
09-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by yoda124
charging $1.50 extra ain't bad...just give them $1.50 less tip.BTW it ain't as bad as Taurus vietnamese restaurant in Country hills.
They cost save by watering down the hoison sauce and hot sauce.:guns:

Taurus is probably the worst "vietnamese" restaurant i've been to in this city. the pho doesn't even taste like a vietnamese dish but more like chinese style noodle soup

Stunt66
09-03-2008, 04:42 PM
I made the mistake of going to taurus last year and i've had instant noodles that tasted better than their garbage.

JC522
09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Pho dau bo is awesome PHO haha and i think Noodle King or Noodle world have the best rice dishes in the city

JC522
09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Ya but there are people that come there n order like 2 plates of beansprouts extra limes and water n sugar and make their own lemonade so i understand why they charge extra since theres is cheap people coming to eat

if u dont like it why go there anymore

its like this you go to joeys as for a side of gravy
of course there gonna charge u

so same sh!t

HuMz
09-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by JC522
Ya but there are people that come there n order like 2 plates of beansprouts extra limes and water n sugar and make their own lemonade so i understand why they charge extra since theres is cheap people coming to eat

so same sh!t

The difference is that every restarant/pub will charge you for extra gravy, where as charging for extra bean sprouts is pretty rare (this is the first ive heard of it)......fair rant IMO and ill definetly stay away.

JC522
09-03-2008, 07:33 PM
its all the INFLATION in calgary haha

Xtrema
09-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Pho Quynh's food sucks. You are in NE and there is a pho place within 2 min drive ever which way. Nobody should go there.

dj_rice
09-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by JC522

so same sh!t

That is true, I agree....if that one plate of bean sprouts you get in the beginning isn't enough then yes you should get charged if you order for an extra order

TurboMedic
09-04-2008, 12:01 AM
I've found alot of places stopped making dry soup (on the side style) because "its too much work"! Kinda getting PO'd with the vietnamese places in calgary, harder and harder to find good places

Altezza
09-04-2008, 12:48 AM

Call it by it's shorter name: Pho-Q

Back on topic...I'm not overly shocked. Much the same how chinese restaurants started to charge for tea and rice.

Redlyne_mr2
09-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Im always paranoid that those sprouts get reused... there is usually a ton given away so Im surprised you had a need for more.

rc2002
09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Saigon Y2K by McMahon started charging for tea about a year or two ago. I pretty much stopped going there. Went there a couple of weeks ago and they only give you a spoon if you order soup. I guess that cuts down on their washing costs.

It is funny, restaurant owners think people won't notice their cost cutting measures, but they do. Having owned and operated many restaurants, I notice shit like that all the time.

They haven't been the same since they changed hands. It's a pretty poor pho experience in Calgary now.

szw
09-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Im always paranoid that those sprouts get reused... there is usually a ton given away so Im surprised you had a need for more.

You can "mark" your unused sprouts with some chilli sauce to do your part in stopping the recycling of them. Do your part people!

dj_rice
09-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Whats stopping them from washing it off and re-using it then

GotRice?
09-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

what restaurant?

Also if your looking for a restaurant with the soup on the side, and a pretty good pho place. I'd recommend Pho Long just off 32nd Ave and 36st by the London Drugs. :love:

dj_rice
09-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by GotRice?

what restaurant?

Peking Peking FTW

van
09-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by szw

You can "mark" your unused sprouts with some chilli sauce to do your part in stopping the recycling of them. Do your part people!

lol, I put all my garbage on top -- should only be used once so hopefully that deters them away from recycling.

Stunt66
09-05-2008, 10:47 AM
What's this soup on the side you guys are talking about?

eb0i
09-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Altezza

Call it by it's shorter name: Pho-Q

Back on topic...I'm not overly shocked. Much the same how chinese restaurants started to charge for tea and rice.

But its not a Pho place to begin with to call it Pho-Q :dunno:

Quynh sounds like "g-win"

sdiep
09-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by van

lol, I put all my garbage on top -- should only be used once so hopefully that deters them away from recycling.

+1

krazynammer69
09-11-2008, 11:21 PM
its like singapore sam they got shut down since they reused their dim sum a few months ago

szw
09-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Whats stopping them from washing it off and re-using it then

You can snap them all into tiny pieces too

hampstor
09-15-2008, 11:38 PM
wtf? you guys are making sure they dont use beansprouts the hard way. Dump the plate of beansprouts into your bowl. :angel:

max_boost
09-16-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
wtf? you guys are making sure they dont use beansprouts the hard way. Dump the plate of beansprouts into your bowl. :angel: lol

brilliant, absolutely brilliant. :thumbsup:

CaptainReboot
09-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
wtf? you guys are making sure they dont use beansprouts the hard way. Dump the plate of beansprouts into your bowl. :angel:

Yeah, that's what I do. Then I also pour my tea, water, and some of the different sauces into my soup, so that they can't reuse that either.

dj_rice
09-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot

Yeah, that's what I do. Then I also pour my tea, water, and some of the different sauces into my soup, so that they can't reuse that either.

You've been eating in a shitty place if they re-use your soup....

Stunt66
09-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by krazynammer69
its like singapore sam they got shut down since they reused their dim sum a few months ago

Which location was this? That's fucking sick.

sputnik
09-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by krazynammer69

Singapore Sam just got shut down again for the 4th time in 2 years.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/city/story.html?id=1a1c1955-e75d-4459-a6cf-f0d25e7c7935

TomcoPDR
09-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by gkAeris

That's when you "supply" the waiter/owner with an upper cut on the way out.

JRSC00LUDE
09-16-2008, 06:54 PM

Singapore Sam just got shut down again for the 4th time in 2 years.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/city/story.html?id=1a1c1955-e75d-4459-a6cf-f0d25e7c7935

Those fines are a fucking joke, that kind of money is nothing to them I'm sure. Fines for repeat offenders need to be so big that they WILL NOT be able to pay them and will end up going broke and out of business. Intentionally and repeatedly fuck with my health and safety when I am paying you for a service and I'll come and dance on the ashes of your life when you're forced to declare bankruptcy.

Ahhhhh if only......