View Full Version : Dragonforce coming to Calgary

powerslave
09-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Thought some of you might find this interesting:

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=38603

Dec. 16 at Mac Hall.

b_t
09-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Everybody should go! Then you can see how horrible the guitarists are.

Inzane
09-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by b_t

:rofl: :rofl:

I've wondered how good they really are live. When I listen to their last album (the fire & flames one), I can't help but think that a lot of passages are "sped up" in the recording studio.

rage2
09-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I believe they also play everything live tuned down 1/2 step, so all the songs sound weird. Along with the tons of mistakes playing at that retarded speed, and it sounds kinda crappy.

But hey those are youtube videos. I might check them out anyways just to heckle 'em hahaha.

Dumbass17
09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
/plays imaginary guitar hero

Seanith
09-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by b_t

LOL... i don't listen to them, but would consider going to see them just to see how ridiculous they are live. As an aspiring learner of guitar, i know i'll be amazed watching them shred.

a social dsease
09-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Ha I may go, could be good, and metal shows are usually a good time.

kerry
09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Fuck... I want to start a petition to boycott those retards from coming.

Fuck Dragonforce and everything they stand for.

Redlyne_mr2
09-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by kerry

Seanith
09-03-2008, 07:08 PM

Whats wrong with them ma bredda? I'm not into the metal scene, i don't know :D

mark4091
09-03-2008, 10:08 PM

:werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd:

Beatdown on dragonforce anyone?

pyroza
09-03-2008, 10:26 PM
MIleK5CRcjo

Inzane
09-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by pyroza
MIleK5CRcjo

Bwaa haa haaa.... that video is so gay! :rofl:

Man do I wish Beavis & Butthead were still on because I'd love to hear their comments on Dragonforce.

rage2
09-04-2008, 08:31 AM
haha this one's a good one too. I need to buy those enhancement pedals!

MSNLfa1VPwo

Herman Ree :rofl:.

b_t
09-04-2008, 10:23 AM
"okay I better put it back on" :rofl:

kerry
09-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Do you guys remember in high school that kid that would bring a guitar to school and sit around and play. Then he'd try and mack on girls while playing guitar at lunch time? He'd always bring that acoustic every single day as if he had nothing better to do and wasn't good at anything else. That tool that drove you bat shit crazy because he'd hit on your girlfriend.

Herman Li is that mother fucker. 0:40 tells the truth.

lzaRsCXV98k

b_t
09-04-2008, 12:09 PM
We had one of those guys at our school, except he played one of those starter pack Ibanez guitars :rofl: at least he mentions John Petrucci

Inzane
09-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Do you guys remember in high school that kid that would bring a guitar to school and sit around and play. Then he'd try and mack on girls while playing guitar at lunch time? He'd always bring that acoustic every single day as if he had nothing better to do and wasn't good at anything else. That tool that drove you bat shit crazy because he'd hit on your girlfriend.

:rofl: There was even a Family Guy episode (or was it American Dad or Simpsons?) that featured the "acoustic guitar douchebag", sitting under a tree, etc. Anyone else remember that?

kerry
09-04-2008, 12:57 PM
I remember that episode.

And let's see... the least emotional guitarist inspired by the 2nd least emotional guitarist. Surprised? I'm not. I went on a rant about this the other day and I'm going to sum it up in this.

IF there's an "up there" and IF Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Randy Rhoads, Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughn and the countless other greats decided to take some of their time away from a beautiful eternity filled with clouds and blue skies to "look down" on our state of music... they'd probably shake their heads and say "What have you done?"

When did music lose it's passion?

Inzane
09-04-2008, 01:03 PM

I think part of it was when grunge almost killed shred/metal at the beginning of the 90s, which then forced the shredders and metalheads to try and reinvent themselves. ( <--- that's never a good thing)

Ever notice that most of the "great" metal guitarists seemed to have done their *best* work in the 80s? (before the birth of grunge and death of shred).

Now in the wake of the grunge movement we're left with a plethora of blah bands....like Nicklecrap. :thumbsdow

rage2
09-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Inzane
I think part of it was when grunge almost killed shred/metal at the beginning of the 90s, which then forced the shredders and metalheads to try and reinvent themselves. ( &lt;--- that's never a good thing)

Ever notice that most of the &quot;great&quot; metal guitarists seemed to have done their *best* work in the 80s? (before the birth of grunge and death of shred).

Now in the wake of the grunge movement we're left with a plethora of blah bands....like Nicklecrap. :thumbsdow
That sums it up perfectly. Pretty much exactly what I was telling kerry last night. Everything died when grunge/alternative took over in the 90's.

I honestly think rock/metal has a hard time making a huge comeback. Our only hope is from the country side, it's the only genre of music that has enough of a fanbase to really make a difference against the mainstream crap that's polluting the airwaves. A big country act crossing over to do something more mainstream rock, big riffs, killer emotional solos...

Then again, Garth Brooks didn't do so well with his Chris Gaines project. The music was kinda blah.

edit - the top "rock" song is a Coldplay song at #7. Jesus fucking christ it sounds faggy :rofl:.

mark4091
09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by rage2

That sums it up perfectly. Pretty much exactly what I was telling kerry last night. Everything died when grunge/alternative took over in the 90's.

I honestly think rock/metal has a hard time making a huge comeback. Our only hope is from the country side, it's the only genre of music that has enough of a fanbase to really make a difference against the mainstream crap that's polluting the airwaves. A big country act crossing over to do something more mainstream rock, big riffs, killer emotional solos...

Then again, Garth Brooks didn't do so well with his Chris Gaines project. The music was kinda blah.

edit - the top &quot;rock&quot; song is a Coldplay song at #7. Jesus fucking christ it sounds faggy :rofl:.

Grunge sure did manage to kill a lot of hair metal, but I find good music has always been able to be found.

Dragonforce bands probably existed in the era of "classic rock", just the small percentage of semi hearing impared people couldn't get together on myspace and throw money at them.

Darkane
09-04-2008, 09:44 PM

You're not looking in the right places friend ;)

5M3cT48qMd0

And this next one blows my mind everytime I hear it. Amazing piece of musicianship.

lc4WFzl-6Xs

s8chan
09-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Most shredders and metalheads did their best stuff in the 80's cause back then it was revolutionary. Guitar playing has evolved a lot since then and most of those 80's shredders have stuck to their style they created back then. Look at the new Metallica single, Kirk's solo is pretty much the same shit as their 80's stuff but is lacking cause of the new stuff other people are creating. He might have been awesome back then but now sounds like a little school girl compared to others.

As for Dragonforce tuning down 1/2 a step live, many bands do tune down 1/2 a step to give the live sound an extra punch. And one reason they play so poorly live is cause their album is fast and they are uber destroyed trying to play it.

Oh well, good thing is that more and more bands are coming to Calgary so more choices for people to pick and choose. Metalober should be good. I'm looking forward to Darkane on Feb.26, one of the best bands I've seen live. Technically perfect with one of the most interesting drummers to listen to, not to mention two amazing shredders.

Darkane
09-04-2008, 10:06 PM
^^ Fucking rights. I'm a one man BAND.

s8chan
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
^^ Fucking rights. I'm a one man BAND.

Ha, if you could actually drum you might still be in a band. Oh... we are kicking you out and starting a "pop" band.

Darkane
09-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by s8chan

Ha, if you could actually drum you might still be in a band. Oh... we are kicking you out and starting a &quot;pop&quot; band.

Fuck. Oh well.. Wait till I make a counter pop band.

<Fiendish Laughter>

kerry
12-16-2008, 02:30 PM
So who's going?

rage2
12-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Wow. Went in with low expectations after seeing their live vids, but oh man did they rock. Didn't expect them to play so well, nearly flawless performance. Great show.

HyperZell
12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow. Went in with low expectations after seeing their live vids, but oh man did they rock. Didn't expect them to play so well, nearly flawless performance. Great show.

Wait, what? This is counter to almost every post in this thread. I like DF from what I've heard (album stuff) and I don't really care about the whole live/half step/passion stuff. Details!

core_upt
12-17-2008, 10:27 AM

There is a huge backlash against DF, for whatever reason. I guess most bands who take a mostly underground sounds and go mainstream will face. I still don't see the criticism of them not being good musicians as being fair. There are obviously some studio effects and speed ups, and all their solos, like all their songs, follow a definite pattern. There are more inventive and more emotional guitarists out there, sure, but i certainly wouldn't say that either of them suck. Plus there is a pop appeal that a lot of 'more legit' power metal or heavier metal doesn't have. I can say with full confidence DF have influenced more kids to pick up a guitar then a lot of bands in recent history.

As for the show - I was very impressed. If the execution wasn't there 100%, the energy sure as shit was. Amazing live show, I was entertained the whole time and given how repetitive their material can be, that is quite the feat. I'd see this show over Metallica's December 5th show any day. The band actually looked like they were having fun! What a concept!

And further to their two guitar players, DF has a rock solid rhythm section. I dont know how the drummer doesn't pass out from exhaustion!! Mind you, I still can't play dbl kick very well, so maybe there is something in it I'm missing.....

rage2
12-17-2008, 02:06 PM
A lot of songs sounded very close to album versions. Oddly enough, through the fire and flames was the exception... probably much more layers and processing on the album version for their signature song. They used tons of guitar effects, all remote triggered so they can concentrate on shredding.

I was probably one of a few that can pick out their mistakes while they were playing. Herman would frown and give his own solo piece a thumbs down when he fucked up. Pretty funny haha. I counted 7 sections through the whole night where he missed maybe 1 or 2 notes, thats it. I didn't know any of their songs from the new album though.

For a metal band, DF is much more melodic than others, which is probably why they've made it mainstream.

No half step down last night, they played and sang everything in standard tuning! WAY different than the live vids I've seen.

Even Kerry wasn't a hater by the 2nd song. Pretty impressive.

Inzane
12-24-2008, 02:13 PM

Even Kerry wasn't a hater by the 2nd song. Pretty impressive.

:confused: Wow, I sure wasn't expecting that.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-24-2008, 02:47 PM

Even Kerry wasn't a hater by the 2nd song.

I just shat bricks. :rofl: