PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting the run around?

zerocon
09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
So, I am currently looking for a new vehicle and am not in a rush whatsoever, and I came across the car I wanted on the toyota website listed under used vehicles(I then double checked on the local dealships website as well). It is the year and type I want and for a decent price.

So, I drove out to the dealership and took a look at the car, and then was told that hte car was 2 grand higher then what it was listed at. I asked why the price difference and was informed it was a different car then listed on the site (somehow the exact same type make and colour with the exact same KMs). I thanked the associate for their time and was on my way.

I emailed the dealership and got a call an hour later informing me the car was listed at one grand lower. (then what i was told at hte dealership.)

I asked again about the listing and they told me it was because they had two in stock and that they must of mixed up the prices. The other vehicle a step lower and for the original posted price I was looking at.
My question here is, is this a common mistake for a dealership? Is there any way I can use this to swing a lower price? or should I just plain steer away from this car completely.

narou
09-03-2008, 11:39 AM
There screwing with you.. Dealerships are all crooks, if the seriosly did make that mistake they should sell it for what they advertised as.

Kloubek
09-03-2008, 11:40 AM
It could very well be a mistake. But more than once I've seen advertised prices lower than what they have in the dealership.

I would simply tell them that different car or not, this has the exact same specs as the ad. So tell them you'll negotiate, based on the lower of the two prices.

Or you can give them some pork. Dealers love pork.

alloroc
09-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Many dealer websites are never correct. Some use the web for the old 'bait and switch'.

Popular cars that bring people in and have been sold are removed - slowly - and cars that don't bring in much interest are often removed from the web while they are still on the lot.

Mitsu3000gt
09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
If its Canyon Creek Toyota, they are notorious for having outrageous prices on used vehicles, particularily German vehicles they get from out East or wherever. What car are you looking at?

zerocon
09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
High River Toyota who I have heard nothing about, and I am looking at a celica gt-s (yes let teh flaming beginng) like I said I am in the super early stages of just looking around for a new car. hence no hurry, just never bought through a dealership before and looking for as much information and personal experiences as possible.

gretz
09-03-2008, 11:54 AM
HR toyota is shit, ive dealt with them/ had buddies work for them - shit.

I brought my 89 si in for an alignment - they told me i had play in my steering rack and they couldnt do it unless i paid 2000 for the rack+install which they already ordered. I took my car and left, fountain tire did it no probs.

they are shit

heavyD
09-03-2008, 12:05 PM
If you want a GTS just get one privately and save the GST and bullshit that you get from a dealer.

narou
09-03-2008, 12:08 PM
FACEBOOK BEYOND AUTOTRADER

zerocon
09-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
If you want a GTS just get one privately and save the GST and bullshit that you get from a dealer.

That is what I was thinking... Cant help to look around though

NewLextasy
09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Its actually illegal to advertise a price on a car and then not honor that price AMVIC would be all over that shit.

Redlyne_mr2
09-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by NewLextasy
Its actually illegal to advertise a price on a car and then not honor that price AMVIC would be all over that shit.
:werd: Sometimes our pre-owned car pricing is not correct, I'm not sure how that happens but we honor it regardless.

Lex350
09-03-2008, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by zerocon
[B]So, I am currently looking for a new vehicle and am not in a rush whatsoever, and I came across the car I wanted on the toyota website listed under used vehicles(I then double checked on the local dealships website as well). It is the year and type I want and for a decent price.

So, I drove out to the dealership and took a look at the car, and then was told that hte car was 2 grand higher then what it was listed at. I asked why the price difference and was informed it was a different car then listed on the site (somehow the exact same type make and colour with the exact same KMs). I thanked the associate for their time and was on my way.

I emailed the dealership and got a call an hour later informing me the car was listed at one grand lower. (then what i was told at hte dealership.)

I asked again about the listing and they told me it was because they had two in stock and that they must of mixed up the prices. The other vehicle a step lower and for the original posted price I was looking at.
My question here is, is this a common mistake for a dealership? Is there any way I can use this to swing a lower price? or should

a few years back another dealer tried that same thing with me...Its the old bait ans switch......If they are that bad to deal with from the start what fo you think they will be like to deal with when it comes to service?....

zerocon
09-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all the serious, quick, and informative responses guys! This is what makes beyond awesome!