PDA

View Full Version : Accounting; Big 4 question

KappaSigma
09-03-2008, 01:38 PM
What is the range of pay at the big 4 for someone who has a year of experience and passed their Mod 2.

THis is for those articiling in CASB for their CA.

tenth
09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't think any of the Big 4 pay based on modules, busy season experience is more important.

Last year was around 50 for your typical performer that had completed 1 busy season. Range was mid 40s to high 50s. Shouldn't be a too dramatic a change for this year.

l/l/rX
09-03-2008, 02:02 PM
my sister gets 42 before taxes @ PWC. Her friends at E&Y got 48 or something? I know a lot higher than her cuz she was complaining about that. The month they get off to study for their UFE they get paid for it (at E&Y but not at PWC). My sister was also extremely pissed about that.
it's been a fun 2 years living with my sister. A few more weeks of her constant PMS'ing and its OVER!!!!!! YAY!!!

(this was 2 years ago, dont know about now)

Mckenzie
09-03-2008, 02:39 PM
^ defenitely different pay grades.

42 is junior
48 was intermediate last year at EY and PWC was 46.

Some firms do hire based on modules completed, but mostly the smaller firms. Its usually a combination of busy seasons / modules or one of them. Big 4 is more likely busy seaon experience.

Passing mod 2 with a year of experience at a big 4 will probably put you in intermediate level, as long as the year includes a busy season. 46-50k.

KappaSigma
09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by tenth
I don't think any of the Big 4 pay based on modules, busy season experience is more important.

Last year was around 50 for your typical performer that had completed 1 busy season. Range was mid 40s to high 50s. Shouldn't be a too dramatic a change for this year.

They pay based on Mods. Most start compressed..so they do not work until Sept. THey start in May. And yet they still get a raise.

Chandler_Racing
09-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by KappaSigma

They pay based on Mods. Most start compressed..so they do not work until Sept. THey start in May. And yet they still get a raise.

Which Big four do you work at? I have not heard of them paying based on modules completed.

Ours are decided based on the amount of busy seasons

black_2.5RS
09-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Interesting that pay is all over the place and really hard to tell which firm pays more since performance plays a big role. I have a couple of friends who are first yr Mgrs at EY and Deloitte. There is a HUGE pay discrepancy between the two (as in EY > Deloitte by approx. $15k).

KappaSigma
09-03-2008, 06:34 PM
I work mid sized and our salary raises for the year were quite lacking. I am curious to where others stand.

If anyone looking at a new employee bonus, I am possibliy interested in going big 4. If so, PM me contact details to discuss more or even coffee.

thx

tenth
09-04-2008, 11:50 AM

I work at one and have friends at the others, and as noted above, no, most (I'm not aware of any) of the Big 4 won't care about your level of CASB. If you do compressed in the summer ahead of starting work and start work in September, you'll start as a first year staff accountant with the rest of the people that do regular later and get the same ~40k for the first year. First raise is the next year and is based 100% on your work performance during the year. We don't hire new starts in May... September and January only

At our firm the only way school limits you is that you can't be a manager without your CA. So don't pass the UFE and you're stuck at senior. Otherwise, how you perform on the job is really the only thing that matters for your raise/promotion.

Mckenzie
09-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I work mid sized and our salary raises for the year were quite lacking. I am curious to where others stand.

If anyone looking at a new employee bonus, I am possibliy interested in going big 4. If so, PM me contact details to discuss more or even coffee.

thx

New employee bonuses are only for seniors and above as far as I know for every firm I have ever looked at.

in*10*se
09-04-2008, 12:38 PM
:) i think pwc has employee referrals, just not for new starts. if you have a busy season under your belt, i'm pretty sure you qualify for the pwc referral bonus.

DJ_NAV
09-05-2008, 03:00 PM
RAISES SUCKED THIS YEAR!

Mckenzie
09-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
:) i think pwc has employee referrals, just not for new starts. if you have a busy season under your belt, i'm pretty sure you qualify for the pwc referral bonus.

Every where I see is senior and up.

I know PDub and EY have senior referral bonuses. I guess you are really not worth anything (realistically now) until you are senior anyways. :nut: :D :angel:

DUBBED
09-10-2008, 11:11 AM
What are these firms starting at nowadays anyway? For a first year/fresh graduate that is.

BrknFngrs
09-10-2008, 11:12 AM
^ ~$41,000

DJ_NAV
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
^ Is that true?? .... anyone know what their company offers to fresh grads?

BrknFngrs
09-10-2008, 11:59 AM
That was the standard offer that went out last year for grads who are starting this September (it was consistent with the every offer I saw, give or take $1000).

Were you expecting higher or lower?

dirty_laundry
09-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I worked in IT for a small accounting firm and the start rate for a CASB student was about ~40k. That was basically someone fresh out of school.

DJ_NAV
09-10-2008, 02:14 PM
i thaught 40k was the rate last year or the year before... i thaught it would go up to like 45k now....

Mckenzie
09-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
i thaught 40k was the rate last year or the year before... i thaught it would go up to like 45k now....

Very doubtful considering intermediates are at 46-48 and are way more valuable than fresh grads. Intermediate / 2nd years are defenitely underpaid.

Xtrema
09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Big 4 doesn't pay well, it's close to slavery and everyone knows it.

You go in, do your time, get your training and CA/CGA/CMA title and GTFO.