PDA

View Full Version : US Border question

dj_honda
09-03-2008, 02:30 PM
So some friends and I are heading on a road trip this weekend to Washington state.

One of my friends has an expired passport from like 8 years ago. This friend went to go register his car today, and when the lady asked if he wanted to renew his license while he was there, since it was up in a couple weeks, he said yes without thinking.

Now upon checking the requirements he realizes that you need both a birth certificate and a govt issued photo id. So….I am curious, will the paper saying the license is out being made be enough at the border? Is there anyway you can get a 1 day issued govt photo id in a rush? Any ideas on what to do? He is going to try calling the border after work but just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.

Euro838
09-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't count on anything being "enough" for the border, especially entry into the states. I would bring the expired passport, birth certificate and another piece of gov't issued ID. It is easier to get into Canada than into the states. I'd make sure everyone has the proper ID on them or you'll seriously run the risk of not being able to enter and will have to drive home.

dannie
09-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Some of our friends just came back from a road trip and one was in a similar situation. She had everything though. Birth Cert, credit cards, alberta health etc and they let her pass. I would be inclined to think it's 50/50 chance.

As far as the rush on the ID, there is no way.

There is a company in the ne called the alberta identification bureau. They issue ID's with a photo, name and address. I would check them out and see what they need. Oh, and their corp name is Alberta Identification Bureau; but they are NOT government ID.

analbumcover
09-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Shit Man, i wouldn't risk it, imagine you drive the 4 hours all the way to the border and they say no sorry, then what?

Hotel booked = lost money, not to mention the disappointment

Weapon_R
09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I was never asked for a photo ID when I crossed two weeks ago. They simply took my passport and let me through. I don't know if they still do this, but you can get an ID made at the registry.

BlkMaxima
09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I was never asked for a photo ID when I crossed two weeks ago. They simply took my passport and let me through. I don't know if they still do this, but you can get an ID made at the registry.

A passport is Photo ID. :nut:

Driven Sideways
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm from the states! Well was till I immigrated here. Photo ID is a must dude! I almost promise you won't make it over without. I'd try what Euro advises. I used an expired ID from Tennesse going Washington to BC and in reverse.

However 8 years and a passport is pushing it.

dj_honda
09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Yea but he doesn't have a valid passport.

I think hes gonna try to get a photo id from a registry tomorrow, and if that doesn't work he is either not gonna come or just try but drive himself so he can turn back if theres a problem. What a time to have his licence renewed haha. He realized literally like 30 mins later "what have i done?!?" but the lady said she already shredded it!

dannie
09-03-2008, 04:40 PM
He won't get the photo ID from the registry. Its impossible. The ID's are printed from the same place as the Drivers licences.

Weapon_R
09-03-2008, 04:56 PM
You can try and get a passport made in 24 hrs if you can show that you're leaving this weekend

Kritafo
09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
they can do emergency/express passports, but it cost about $100.00 and I think its 24 - 48 hrs.

You do not need a passport to drive through to the US yet.
You only need photo ID and birth certificate.

DarkDream
09-03-2008, 05:37 PM
to renew the passport and have it urgent is 70 dollars on top of the charge for the passport. Processing time is within 24hours

dj_honda
09-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
they can do emergency/express passports, but it cost about $100.00 and I think its 24 - 48 hrs.

You do not need a passport to drive through to the US yet.
You only need photo ID and birth certificate.

Yeah, well the photo ID has to be government issued like I said in the first post.

I'll ask him if he wants to go through with the passport option.

Xtrema
09-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Birth Certificate + Photo ID

Passport

NEXUS card

Citizenship card

Last time I tried to cross with driver license, they gave me heck. Guard said driver license only tell him that I can drive, nothing else. Make me pull over, wait in line for another agent for about an hour, and confirm my ID with my last entry into US with passport. They let me pass but it's painful.